If Chromium is open source, and Firefox is open source, why doesn't someone just take the source code from both...

If Chromium is open source, and Firefox is open source, why doesn't someone just take the source code from both, mix them together and give us the best of both worlds.
The customizability of Firefox with the speed of Chrome.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/servo/servo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why don't you do it yourself?

We already have some browsers that are closed uncustomizable botnet, slow as firefox with default settings and 100 addons, and they eat RAM like there's no tomorrow.
Maybe sombody tried already but it didn't go well?

Would take so much time for a single person to do that it's probably more time efficient to just create a new browser from scratch.

I'll make the logo.

Vivaldi is a fork of chromium, with some FF ideas

kek

No, Vivaldi is a web app on top of Chromium.

No, Vivaldi is a runtime environment ontop of Chromium.

What did they mean with Vivaldi?
It is closed source chromium. Power users go Firefox already.
And then it just seems like a JavaScript happy fun browser with zero benefits because it's not open source. JavaScript aspect could mean that anyone could develop for it at the cost of the overhead V8 brings.

Servo is in development. I wonder what that will be like. And I wonder if it is easily adaptable so it might become similar to WebKit: a good rendering base.

In a perfect world a small dev team could make a fantastic open source browser that is fast as hell and can be customized up the wazoo. However this needs A) a team of competent people who have the know-how/desire to make it and B) the financial support to work on the project without needing also to work a full time job to ensure the project is completed in a timely and efficient manner. A) isn't that hard as I am sure you can find a group of people who want to work on such a thing. The real issue is B) as who is going to bankroll a bunch of autists to develop a web browser that normies don't want and will be of no profit.

Come on, Sup Forumsangers, let's make a browser.

Kickstarter.
Sup Forumsentoo explorer

Kickstarter is not a great way to raise funds on a project you haven't started yet. People don't donate to useful things like a good web browser. Unless you want to lie about what it will do like Solar Roadways. I am sure you can get a few grand saying it will cure cancer but after you launch and people find it doesn't good luck getting people to use it. (Then again people still bought Apple shit so who knows) Your only real hope is to have it like 80-90% done and try and sell that.

You can test Servo already but it most likely won't work on anything beyond simple websites.
github.com/servo/servo

How would you do that?
You have to render the pages and have your UI over it, and your ability to alter the browser up to the wazoo.
That not only sounds like a lot of work, but also what Mozilla has been doing for years and still isn't finished.
There are always more standards to implement, more UX to improve, more codecs to support, the list goes on and on and keeps expanding.

mozilla is gonna do that man

Just print out the source code for both and put it in a blender.

I sure wish they'll find ways to make the nightlies work well on Windows. That's where I have a dGPU to actually make use of its promises.
I keep forgetting to get it on my laptop, but I doubt it'll be of much use really.

What languages are the these browsers written in?
C++? Java? C#? C? Python? There may be components that have specialized languages.

cause chrome is fucking botnet and I will never use that sh!t. I will not become google's BITCH.

Oh and then the lovely nightmare of the million different C++ implementations and with that: revisions.
Compiler specific C. Different versions of the high level languages.
And the fact that Firefox already has like 13 million lines of code to completely adapt.

Just say that it will be a furfag friendly, nonbinary tolerant otherkin browser and you'll reach the KS goal in three days

I know it sounds daunting but why not start from scratch? Maybe the problem with these two browsers is having become bloated over the years with redundant code.

Firefox is already faster than Chrome if you have more than 50 tabs

Chromium is objectively better than firefox in basically every way. But chromium is also developed by Google so there's that

What about extensions?
Tree style tab is pretty great

The closest browsers to that are the proprietary Avant and Lunascape. You can render pages with Blink while using Firefox addons. They're not very nimble browsers.

The Jews desu senpai.

>Rust

Years ago chromium supported vertical tabs but Google hid the option in about:flags or something IIRC so very few people ever used it. Then they got rid of the option at some point though

>fork entire browser to make simple ui changes
>objectively better browser

wew

Well when I was referring to chromium I meant the entire package including the rendering engine, the javascript engine, the sandboxed multi-process architecture, the plugin API, and also the extension framework. The UI is not really any worse than firefox it's just different but all that other stuff is definitely superior right now which is why Mozilla is trying so hard to reach parity with chromium.

Aside from the customization there's almost nothing worth salvaging from firefox. If Mozilla could they probably would have dumped firefox and forked chromium and just added customization options years ago. They can't though because Mozilla has a mission to prevent the internet from becoming a monoculture. They have to maintain gecko to provide a counterweight against webkit/blink and trident.

>chrome
>speed

Bullshit! Servo is the future!

uhh

>Windows and Android builds are coming soon!

Trash!

we'll never make any progress in the current system

because dominant browsers (primarily chrome at this point) are inventing new standards and made up BS off the whazoo.
Chrome invents it, websites use it, firefox and safari are forced to implement it to stay competitive.
The entire "standard" of html/css/js/??? is mindboggling overcomplicated because this keeps happening.
It makes entering the competition overly difficult which is just fine for mainstream browsers.

it's the same old shit as economics.