/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initramfs
unetbootin.github.io/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing
apricityos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do people use Fedora over something.. Say Ubuntu?

I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning for using certain Distros.

Repo software availability, package manager, release cycle etc

Without nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=10 it takes a long time for my media to boot up and mount the usb hard drive.
However, mpd fails to autostart if the fstab for the drive contains those parameters.

How do I fix this? Can I make mpd depend on the drive mounted?

Why does Ubuntu Mate take so long to draw screen elements at boot. I'm booting off a ssd and have a pretty beefy cpu?

Can I replace OSX with Ubuntu on my macbook? is this a good choice. With limited linux knowledge here

Gnome
KDE
XFCE

Don't know witch one i want on my debian :(

Nevermind, found out using RequiresMountsFor in the service file

Is there a good reason to use zsh over bash?

Meant for

Not gnome, I can tell you that much. I personally use XFCE and it's just fine

I installed KDE, not great.
Want to try another one.
XFCE seems ok, I will install it to try

Fuck off namefags.

>Can I replace OSX with Ubuntu on my macbook?
probably
> is this a good choice
yes because you'll get better performances in a lot of things
no because you'll have a shittier battery life
no because some stuff might not work

xfce is the best of those 3 DE. There's also cinnamon

some features that aren't in bash. But just stay with bash.

I got Dual boot with rEFInd on my Mac Pro mid-2012. One is OSX and the second Kali-Linux.
It's working great, Kali use more Battery and make my mac hotter.

I have 2 HD, one ssd 120 and one 1To replacing CD-drive. OSX is on SSD and Kali on 20%HD

downloading it now, what things wont work? all I need is music, League and a Ps equivalent . Just want to familiarise myself with Linux

>Installed Debian and Openbox because muh performance
>Like it but i'm too stupid to configure tint2
Is lighter to just install LXDE than getting Debian LXDE version?

I run arch on my 2013 rmbp and have only ever had issues with alsamixer. Even that I figured out after only an hour or two

Then don't use tint2? Dmenu is decent.

very good

Tell us your story

tint2 has a gui configuration tool, no excuse

I'm going to install Debian for the first time. I'm a windows user, just used Ubuntu a lil bit.

Any good advice? I'll use it for everyday things and to play some cs too.

>Inb4 install gentoo

>$ ls
>build

>$ ls build
pip-delete-this-directory.txt

use testing (stable is good workstations and servers, but for typical desktop use, it's worth trading off potential hiccoughs for speed and newer hardware/software support)
consider the iso with non-free firmwares available, since you're clearly not going for a fully-free system anyway
don't forget to enable multilib repo(s), these will be needed for Steam/Wine/etc

>ls ~/.config/
Trolltech.conf

zsh is fine, people say it's better than bash, but actually most stuff zsh provides is available for bash also, it just isn't enabled by default.

some things to boost your bash:
shopt -s autocd # cd without typing cd
shopt -s cdable_vars # does what it says
shopt -s cdspell # autocorrect typos when cding
shopt -s extglob # better globbing
shopt -s globstar # recursive globbing (** style)
bind '"\e[5~":history-search-backward' # PGUP/DOWN -
bind '"\e[6~":history-search-forward' - zsh style history search for word under the cursor
bind '"\e[Z":menu-complete' # shift-tab to cycle through autocompletitions
there's more, rtfm

that said, zsh's autocomplete is better than bash's, worth a try, just stay away from crap like "oh my zsh", which is basically just a collection of useless aliases from/by macfags.

>bind '"\e[Z":menu-complete' # shift-tab to cycle through autocompletitions
Is it not possible to somehow set that to tab and have it list possibilities as well?

yep, you could also add
bind 'set show-all-if-ambiguous on'
which shows possible stuff instandly (instead of hitting tab twice)

Try Apt install xubuntu-desktop

Cool thanks, I'll try to get that working as I like, it's the only thing I don't like about bash and I'm surprised to learn that it is actually possible.

Learn what folder in root stores what

Hey senpaitachi, I'm trying to get one of those powerline fonts to work, but they don't display all symbols correctly.
echo "\ue0b0 \u00b1 \ue0a0 \u27a6 \u2718 \u26a1 \u2699"
runs only the first 3 symbols properly, the other ones are boxes.
I'm on arch, tried powerline-fonts-git and seperate fonts, none of them work properly.
I'm using the following config:
Rxvt*font: xft:Roboto Mono for Powerline:size=10
Rxvt*autohint: 0
Rxvt*hintstyle: hintslight
Rxvt*lcdfilter: lcddefault
Rxvt*rgba: rgb
Rxvt*antialias: 1
Rxvt*letterSpace: -1

Any help is appreciated.

>echo
echo is for gays; use printf

That said, use the -e flag.
echo -e "\ue0b0 \u00b1 \ue0a0 \u27a6 \u2718 \u26a1 \u2699"

If the font is isntalled correctly, it should show the glyths.

I love my grammar.

The grammar technically is fine, just proofread for typos.
Seems it isn't installed correctly then, because nothng changed.

>Rxvt
What's your terminal. URxvt? If so, use:
URxvt.font: xft:Roboto Mono for Powerline:size=10

one thing most people forget: after changing the xressources file, you need to update x with the new settings via xrdb:
xrdb ~/.Xressources

maybe that's the error

I have a weird problem

My audio interface will turn off and on all the time. It will turn on when sound needs to happen, but will quickly turn off when there's no sound for a certain period of time. The system seems to recognize what it is, the model number is correctly displayed. It's just really annoying because the speakers will pop.

Every other distro and OS I've used just had it always on.

I'm using Ubuntu mate btw

You can verify if it is installed correctly.
fc-list | grep owerline

Yeah senpai, I do that.
Dunno why I use Rxvt instead of URxvt, haven't been into my config.
Changed it, obviously had no effect.
I just checked the fontset, and it seems those chars are plain missing, although they say I have to download a powerline set.
Gonna check a .ttf straight from the source git

Try replacing the * with a . in your config. Just an idea.

>tfw /fglt/ is good again

10010010110111001110011011101000110000101101100011011000010000001000111011001010110111001110100011011110110111100101110

I certainly appreciate all ideas, however it does not work. The font itself works, the chars change, but it seems those chars are missing from the font or something. I'm not really sure what's up with it

Why is using linux so comfy?

Plugging in my Fiio x3 as a dac to Ubuntu 16 crashes it, any ideas what to do?

linux newfag here
I'm thinking of dualbooting my pc with linux after trying it on an old, almost dead computer of mine, I'm keeping my windows partition just for games.
Xfce is my favourite DE so far and I am unsure which distro to go, I like Xubuntu but I heard fedora is apparently good if not better.
I want something that just werks out of the box, none of that leet hacker wannabe bullshit like arch or gentoo.

Why shouldn't I use Bodhi Linux as my first distro that I'm not running from a live USB?

Anyone know anything about this libapt-pkg5.0 dependency issue when upgrading to Debian Unstable? Here's the full error from dist-upgrade:

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
libapt -pkg5.0 : Recommends: apt (>= 1.3~rc3) but 1.0.9.8.3 is installed
Breaks: apt (< 1.1~exp14) but 1.0.9.8.3 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

And when I try to -f install it, I get this error:
Unpacking apt (1.3~rc3) over (1.0.9.8.3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/apt_1.3~rc3_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/apt/solvers/dump', which is also in package apt-utils 1.0.9.8.3
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Reinstalling /etc/cron.daily/apt that was moved away
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cahce/apt/archives/apt_1.3~rc3_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here and can't get this to work how I was expecting.
At the moment if I type 'cd' and then tab I can see all the available options and I can press shift-tab to cycle through the options but I would both actions to be set to tab and performed at the same time, so pressing tab lists and cycles through the options. This is how I have it set in zsh.
I was thinking I could just set bind '"\e[Z":menu-complete' to tab instead of shift tab but for the life of me I can't find what the code is for the tab key.

Can't seem to get anything to work, changing to xterm doesn't help.

This is what I use.

bind "TAB: menu-complete"
bind "\"\e[Z\": menu-complete-backward"
bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on"
bind "set menu-complete-display-prefix on"

>bind "TAB: menu-complete"
haha jeez, it's literally just TAB!
Excellent, thanks user, this works perfectly.

fglt looks and sounds somewhat similar like lgbt

First Linux distro: Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary, or something else? I want to dual boot on my T420 and start moving away from Windows.

i7 quad core
8gb ram
240gb SSD main drive
HD3000

I use my laptop for shitposting, anime, and web dev, basically only using Chrome, Sublime, and XAMPP for almost everything.

I've read Elementary is the most aesthetically pleasing, Mint is simple but may have security issues(?), and Ubuntu is the old standby.

What do

So is it possible to convert zsh history file to bash_history? It looks like the format is different.

Not much to be said, just driver incompatibility. Had to search for alternatives on the web, it was my first time in Arch so I was very disfunctional and didn't know what I was doing, so it was quite the tough task for me. Got it worked out tho, but I actually no longer use Arch. Switched to Debian

I suggest Debian or Ubuntu for any new user. You will actually learn how Linux works, without being too over your head. In my opinion, Arch-based distros are very good, but not a great /into/ Linux. Mint has some pretty bad bloat nowadays, I'd steer clear of that. I personally use Debian because it is very user friendly, (semi) lightweight, and it still teaches you alot of the Linux basics.

download the live iso and fuck around with all of them to see which one you like

zsh has time-stamps and what else?

bash can also have history time-stamps, add this to your .bashrc:
export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%s:"

Newbie Linux user, just installed Ubuntu yesterday onto a USB drive so I can have a persistent copy.

When I tried Ubuntu when booting to USB, it was fast, responsive -no problems.
However, when I installed to the USB using ext4, the system is quite slow, laggy and unresponsive like a PC that's 8 years old. What's going on?

I'm about to get an mSATA SSD for my T420, so I'll have an SSD and an HDD. Is it better to have the SSD as a boot drive and the HDD as storage, or should I use LVM or bcache or something to have the SSD be a cache? What's better/faster?

In the first case you weren't using the USB as the disk, you were using the system RAM. USBs are extremely slow, that's why what you did isn't recommended. It's actually better to keep using the live boot feature but make a partition in the USB so you can save files between sessions.

Caches are a meme. Go for the SSD as a boot drive (If it's 128GB+) and use the HDD as storage. If the SSD is any smaller, don't bother with using it as a boot drive as it's unpractical.

Po-tip: Don't clone your OS to the SSD, install it from scratch; it severely hinders the drive's performance.

Thanks. Yeah, it's 128GB.

So now the USB is using its own memory as RAM? God damn, that's painful.

I tried to save my data in between live boot, but it didn't work. How do I do this? I previously had the USB as a Ubuntu ISO disk, should I re-flash it?

What's the difference between dd if=lel of=kek, cp lel kek and cat lel > kek?
They all do basically the same thing, right?

I got around the issue by holding apt and apt-utils. I guess like a week or two from now I'll unhold them in hopes that the problem is fixed.

Hooray for solving my own problems!

dd is for destroying disks
cp is for copying files
cat is for concatenating files

No it's using it's own memory as the system disk. Basically when you boot from a live cd (or usb) you don't actually use the cd (or usb) as the system disk you use the RAM. Learn more: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initramfs

Check this out: unetbootin.github.io/ It helps you create a live usb but with a separate partition to preserve files across sessions.

How am I supposed to "install" stuff on linux?
I've downloaded some softwares, but it is just a .tar.gz file with lots of other files inside. There isn't something like an executable. I Tried using "make" in the command prompt but it didn't work.

dd and cat both create new files, while cp preserves file informations, so the only tool that actually creates a copy is cp.

dd should have been named cc (convert and copy), but the name was already taken so it became dd. as said, dd converts and copies files, useful for writing blocks like disc images with different speeds

cat is a tool to concatenate files like:
cat file1 file2 > file3
file3 now includes file1 and file2
cat is often abused to copy files or to print them to stdout, a better tool is: more or even more more: less

tl;dr no

enjoy

My second HDD doesn't show up in the file system

>sudo -s
>lsblk: sda1 has no mountpoint
>mkdir -p /mnt/home
>mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/home
>lsblk: sda1 has /home mountpoint
>reboot
>still doesn't show up, no mountpoint via lsblk either

how 2 fix?

On GNU/Linux you don't need to hunt for .exe files on shady websites. We have package managers for that. Depending on your distro, you just open a terminal and write - done.

If you really want to compile a program, make sure to read the README or INSTALL file included into the tar.gz and follow the instructions.

mounts aren't persistent, you would need to add it to fstab but manually mounting it should work, what fs is it?

>just mounts
>reboot
>expects it to be there
what is /etc/fstab

Don't be a nigger, he's just new.

You say that like being black is a bad thing.

s/nigger/faggot/

What's the best path to mount a permanent storage HDD on?

i.e. /home/user/storage/, or /mnt/storage/

This is for a single-user laptop

You say that like being gay is a bad thing.

I give up.

/mnt/ (or /media/ if you're fancy)
Mounting shit on /home/ triggers me

Thanks

I have a question (wow).

Should I create a /home/ partition or one partition for everything?

it's ext4

I know what /etc/fstab is, but I don't know how to use it

Guys I have an intel i7 several years old and a 750ti gfx card. I can't find a Linux that runs well on my computer. Windows 10 is buttery smooth. So far Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora are all choppy and full of screen tearing no matter what drivers I use.

Is this just a feature of Linux systems or have some Linux distros just become too fat and bloated for old hardware?

That's not old hardware. Seems like a drivers issue.

Try: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

I use Arch with a 750ti and stopped having troubles after that, but it should work for any distro, assuming you're using the proprietary drivers.

Same but with a 760.

Having a separate partition gives you much more flexibility, if you want to reinstall a distro or install a few side-by-side. One partition for everything is slightly easier to set up, but not by much.

Thanks. If I can I will try Arch later and see what happens.

There are pros and cons, but it's mostly personal preference. If you install a new distro on your machine, you can preserve the /home partition to keep all your personal settings and files intact. However, having partitions will separate your hard drive storage, which can be limiting. You probably want 30% of your drive going to / (for OS files and installed programs), and 70% going to /home (your files & settings). You can still preserve your personal settings by backing them up on an external drive/partition.

>Can I make mpd depend on the drive mounted?
I think there was a recent update in systemd which enables mounts to behave like services. You can probably make it automount it on demand and use dependencies and all that fancy systemd stuff.

i just want to shill for apricity for a second

this is the best distro ive ever used

im using the cinnamon version on my t430 and ive never experienced such a good time with linux RIGHT out of the box. every distro ive installed had issues and just felt sloppy, apricity is the first that everything works and i like how it looks.

apricityos.com/

Looks pretty and sounds like it works better than shit Antergos and shit Manjaro with their buggy installers. Now you just have to hope that it stays stable over time.

>arch with new theme #45315

and?

if distros have things you want/going to install anyway, why not use them

im not a "power user" by any means and manjaro gave me nothing but issues (spent 3 days configuring power settings just to get it suspend on lid close, printing was hit or miss every single time, no sound over hdmi and no one knew why, etc) so when something just works i want to appreciate it

I'm glad it works for you, but I am not trying to be a bully or elitist when I say you should try Arch itself. The initial process of installation is daunting, so wait until you have some time to do it right, but the ability to do so is invaluable.

If you just don't have the time that's fine, but I think anyone wanting a performant Linux desktop owes it to themselves, eventually, to install Arch at the least and, at some point, Gentoo.

Good luck and thanks for contributing. :)