How come a lot of routers still come with 100 mbit connections?

How come a lot of routers still come with 100 mbit connections?

I'm surprised it is still a thing as gigabit has been mainstream for 10+ years.

Other urls found in this thread:

cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/data_sheet_c78-345385.html
routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusRM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because gigabit => shorter maximum cable length

I think it's mostly cost.

Gigabit can do 100 meters (328 American Feet(r)) which should be enough for any home.

Addition to my post: It is the same for 10BASE-T and 100BASE-T.

So go fuck yourself.

It's not like gigabit NICs don't also support 10/100 connections and switch to 100MBps if the cable isn't adequate for gigabit.

Its cost. I thought the same thing as OP before I started supporting industrial networking products. The hardware is slightly cheaper, but on a mass production scale it's huge savings. It then becomes a really easy marketing strategy to charge a premium for gigabit.

Think about it. You have your 4 port 10/100 industrial router for $400, the gigabit for $500, but the old SONET equipment that you are now converting over to IP only uses 12kbps. Why do i want to get jacked an extra $100 for speed I won't ever touch. By the way I need 100 of these units for my refinery PLC's.

Tell that to Australia

>How come a lot of routers still come with 100 mbit connections?
>I'm surprised it is still a thing as gigabit has been mainstream for 10+ years.
Because you're buying shitbox "routers". My firewall is over a decade old, has gigabit and more features then your pic related.

and it has active cooling

It does, its basically a Pentium 4 PC.

that means, it consumes alot of power.

100mbit HW is cheaper,and manufacturers probably have s#!+ load of them laying around.

Technically most ISPs won't even give you close to gigabit speed on your wan, so unless you're worried about LAN speeds gigabit might be somewhat pointless.

That means housefires.

The power supply draws 2.5A max, and that includes being able to power the optional IPS module which is really just another pentium 4 PC on a card. It is 150 watts idle, 190 watts maximum, which is for the top end model which has a faster cpu and 2nd DIMM.

cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/data_sheet_c78-345385.html

Costs less.

Plus of course many brands are trying to create "tiers" of routers for their brand-loyal customers.

Just ignore it all and buy the chinese routers that actually give you what you want for fairly cheap.

>wasting money on Cisco when you can buy Mikrotik
>wasting money on Cisco when you can assemble your own pfSense/OPNsense box

>s#!+

>assemble your own pfSense
Speaking of which, what's your experience with that? My country is only gradually opening to external markets after a decade-long recession, and importing the pfSense boxies would be a tad expensive.

By now, 100mbit and gigabit hardware should cost about the same to produce. But by keeping both, they now have an excuse to sell gigabit hardware for substantially more money. If the industry simply discards their 100mbit stuff, all the gigabit stuff will have to come down in price.

It's the same principle as monitors and why laptops had that shitty 768 resolution for years, and why many desktop monitors are still 1080p.

>being this poor
>shilling a consumer grade product
They dont sell purpose built firewalls for starters, and their highest end switch doesnt even do layer 3 in hardware and instead has a gimmicky LCD on the front. For something with dual 10g ports, it is limited to 324mbit/sec under the best conditions for layer 3. And it still cost more than a Catalyst 3750E

routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusRM

Iranian faggot, enough with your Ayatollahs financing turrists. Get some MURICAN© DEMOCRACY﷼ for fucks sake

Actually Argentine, we're in the process of freedomizing ourselves , thank you very much for the sentiment though

>inb4 >argentina >white: goto