Are single slot GPUs ever coming back?

Are single slot GPUs ever coming back?

Did they ever leave

No, why the fuck would you want those shitty coolers back?

Only way they will come back is if there is a massive breakthrough in the ability to cool gpus.

Odds are no.

Not as long as Sup Forums calls company X as BANKRUPT/BTFO/ON SUICIDE WATCH because they perform 5fps worse in the currently most famous console port PC game.

But those gpus had a much bigger process node and were geting much more hot than today's gpu's.

Given the trend of decreasing TDP and power consumption I'd say yes. Unless the market decides to go another direction which is also possible.

Sidenote, you don't see triple slot cards anymore, though that may be because of more prevalent water cooling so IDK.

Yeah when dvi dies.

what does DVI have to do with it?

They are still here.

>and were geting much more hot than today's gpu's
prove it, and afterwards hang yourself as an excuse for that grammar

My melanin saturated person

In the vast majority of cases a 2-slot cooler isn't any sort of issue or disadvantage on modern motherboards and in modern cases (even tiny ITX ones), so at least for high-end cards I don't really see single slot coolers becoming a thing. They would serve very little practical advantage, more cooling is always better and at the very least it can mean a quieter card while maintaining the same temps.

It would be nice to have some single-slot options though, for HTPC purposes and such.

Yes
Stacked memory will allow for near 50% pcb reduction

But the cooling will suffer and its pretty obvious that GPU cooling needs improving since every new chip is expected to hit 70-90c before throttling.

>and its pretty obvious that GPU cooling needs improving since every new chip is expected to hit 70-90c before throttling
CPUs hit the same temp, even higher, before throttling. Why do you think those temperatures are some special problem?

>FirePro
>FireStream

Im glad AMD knows what makes them so awful.

Everyone here is obsessed with things being colder than the have to be like it matters until you hit temperatures above TJMax.
FirePro cards are pretty good.

They are already available. Just buy a waterblock.

>Can stick a 1060 and 1070 in a Razer Blade
>Somehow can't fit the necessary cooling onto a single slot card for desktop

Look at the picture in OP again.

Do you see a 6pin PCI-e power connector?
Do you see an 8pin PCI-e power connector

Hell do you even see an Molex connector on there?

No?

That's because the card doesn't require external power and therefore cannot draw more than 75watts.

But old cards converted the power to more heet instead of preformance

Probably because people don't want to buy new CPUs every 2 years because of electromigration, faggot.

Wait who am I kidding, this is Sup Forums - you're shilling for free.

>I am an idiot, please give me a reply

Here is your reply.

If that were the case, then the maximum temperatures would be lower than they are.

Cool beans.

>10c has been depoisted into your account

Ok retard.

>I get physically violent if someone removes the plastic film from a new device I've bought

Why would you be touching someone else's device user?

Can you not keep your busy little fingers to yourself?

DVI is usually above the DP/HDMI
So you can't put a single slot bracket on the card.

yes, the obsession with "muh low power" and "muh thinness" means that, instead of making more powerful GPUs which use the same cooling, AMD and Nvidia will make GPUs that are only slightly better performing yet produce less heat

maybe the device is owned by the kind of lazy person to leave the plastic film on for years until it gets all cloudy and loses stickiness around the edges