Is it just me, or is Google Maps' new 3D view goddamn amazing? Especially from inside a browser. Then again...

Is it just me, or is Google Maps' new 3D view goddamn amazing? Especially from inside a browser. Then again, maybe I'm just behind the times.

Other urls found in this thread:

shadertoy.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Clarification because I realized right after posting that my wording was confusing: I mean especially *considering that it's* through a browser.

Why are you looking at Tokyo? Weebo?

Because it's one of the world's biggest cities and an impressive 3D view? What should I look at, Fargo or some shit?

If you have a decent PC with a powerful GPU, get Google Earth, crank up the visual settings and cache size. Wait for an area to load. It looks rather amazing indeed in large cities which are almost fully modeled.

wait until you can see people in real time on those google map.

>new
Tokyo is pretty scary with those multi level railroads and highways

This isn't Tokyo, where is the anime?

>Fargo
>a real place

Wait until you can see yourself, looking at yourself on Google maps.

that's literally what i just said.

Bloody Hell!

neat!

I love it!
It makes everything look like a bomb's hit it!

Majestic.

Fargo is a real place.

>What should I look at
check out pyongyang north korea. that's some next level shit.

3D Buildings aren't that impressive it's the fucking individual 3D trees!

Any fun glitches where there's shit floating in the air?

some trees in my neighborhood appear as green balloons hovering above the street. (pic is not my neighborhood)

I think its pretty scary.

Did you know google have a satellite powerful enough to view people's faces in real time but they are not permitted to use it because it's deemed as a weapon by the united states government.

I was just going to post when I saw your pic, pretty close.

Weird eh user!?

One could potentially make a render of Google Maps and rework the polygons and textures a bit and have a real map ready for games.

This would make flightsims actually interesting.

are you sure it isn't figuratively what you just said?

Right there people, that's American education.

Holy shit you fucking tard. Fargo is a real place.

What's new about this? 3D view has existed for at least 4 years.

Doesn't Google Earth have a "street level" view, which is basically a cross between this 3D view and street view?

I think a basic flight-sim was built in Google Earth as an Easter egg at some point.

Source?

It was, a few years ago, it's actually pretty fun, especially with 3D buildings

The last time I tried to use Google Maps was less than 4 years ago, and I didn't see any 3D view. However, I'm now not seeing the 3D option from the computer I'm using (I'm using a different machine than I was earlier) either, I guess the option simply automatically doesn't show up if the browser isn't right. Maybe it's because I'm using Firefox on this machine and Chrome on the other one.

If you've got a decent enough phone, get the cardboard earth demo and spend a few minutes flying from the west coast viewpoint into space and then across the pacific to Tokyo. Supermanning through the 3d cityscape is worth the asking price for the headset on its own, and once you get the hang of navigation and flying to 'orbit' and back you can pretty much jump anywhere on the planet, but it has a tendency to crash quite frequently.

THEY BLEW IT UP
GOD DAMN THEM

kek

jesus christ, so many japs

how come there is no kawaii japanese schoolgirl falling for me as we speak

I liked the used submitted 3D buildings in Earth more. What did Google do with all of those? Just tossed them in the bin? Some people put so much work on them, for free.

I'm sure they're still in Google Earth. But that relies on people actually generating the models for every object above the ground. So don't expect non-landmark buildings, walls, bridges, trees, etc. More practical to do like Apple did with their maps and generate 3D views through image analysis.

Bump

>I mean especially *considering that it's* through a browser.

Where the fuck have you been, WebGL has changed everything.
shadertoy.com

I literally never go out of my apartment (this has been going on for many years now) and Google Maps allows me to see the neighborhood I grew up (and still live) in and not feel like I'm Josef Fritzl's daughter.

Sometimes I go around with Street View and pretend I'm going for a walk or riding a bike.

10/10 would use again every day.

(Goddamn, rereading this it sounds so sad).

What do you do for a living then?

Unsuccessfully trying to escape NEETdom.

What kind of image data do they need for that? Satellite pictures isnt enough, is it?

better than GTA3

wait until you can see your personal data, browsing habits and face on Bing Maps