Is Lynda a site worth subscribing to if I'd like to learn programming...

Is Lynda a site worth subscribing to if I'd like to learn programming? If not what is the best online website to learn coding?

Other urls found in this thread:

programming-motherfucker.com/,
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
kosbie.net/cmu/spring-16/15-112/schedule.html
www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf
ref.x86asm.net/coder64.html
amazon.com/Zen-Code-Optimization-Ultimate-Software/dp/1883577039/
amazon.com/Programming-Language-Brian-W-Kernighan/dp/0131103628/
amazon.com/Expert-Programming-Peter-van-Linden/dp/0131774298
amazon.com/C-Programming-Modern-Approach-2nd/dp/0393979504
amazon.com/Programming-Windows®-Fifth-Developer-Reference/dp/157231995X/
amazon.com/Michael-Abrashs-Graphics-Programming-Special/dp/1576101746
zetcode.com/gui/winapi/
beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/singlepage/bgnet.html
binarytides.com/winsock-socket-programming-tutorial/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Is Lynda a site worth subscribing to if I'd like to learn programming?
No.
>what is the best online website to learn coding?
I learned most of my shit here

I've been on Sup Forums for meme time and haven't truly learned anything coding. I need a website that's actually dedicated to it.

Code academy.

Why though senpai. Just give me like two sentences.

1. look up a book that introduces programming through the language of your choice and has favorable reviews
2. library genesis

Download the "Gentooman Library" torrent (or the parts you want). Full size is about 30GB. Contains all godly books.

code academy or code school
same shit, different method for learning

good for absolute beginners into web programming

If you want to take the legal route, a subscription to safari books will get you a ton of digital o'rielly books.

You local library may offer a free subscription, that's how I use it. It's a pretty decent source of information.

>Holy shit thanks this has everything you could ever dream of

Stack overflow
It's where most code is copied from and Frankensteined together
Also you should use jquery

Are you memeing me mate or serious.

How to learn to program:
>Get a nice book (The C programming Language)
>Do exercises
>Do more advanced projects (*NIX, TCP/IP, Graphics, etc)

No prob.

This basically for everything.

OP here. Udemy worth anything?

What order should I read these in?

Udemy is pretty much the same as lynda, you've got a lot of pretty basic tutorials that aren't that great, a few that are okay... it's more of an introduction, but you'll need to expand on it
You could try to get a SiG account or just search the torrent project for udemy projects if you can identify good tutorials and look for those specifically

Alright you retards/indians need to listen up. Go to programming-motherfucker.com/, pick a language you'd like to learn, and fucking read.
Are good suggestions as well. Reading is the only way to self-teach anything, ignore gimmicky hipster "fun and educational!!!!" bullshit OP. Second grade is over.

no need to learn programming, you can just use stackoverflow :^)

no.

google

1. Get a mentor
2. Read the fucking docs
3. Have a project to work on that you care about.

That's all you need, there weren't any "bootcamps" back in my day.

Serious question:

WHY do you want to learn to program?

I get the feeling that most posters
asking about books/websites don't even
know what the fuck they want to use
the knowledge for, once they acquire it.

Lynda is good but we aware that since they have different instructors on different courses, some are better and more through than the others. Also, if you 're only learning one thing then there's no point to subscribe once you're done, but if you want to learn multiple subjects then it would make more sense. I'm a Lynda.com subscriber and I've learned hours and hours of multiple applications from programming to architecture visualization. Is it worth the subscription? Yes, if you're actually learning from it and not flaking.

Lynda is good but we aware that since they have different instructors on different courses, some are better and more through than the others. Also, if you 're only learning one thing then there's no point to subscribe once you're done, but if you want to learn multiple subjects then it would make more sense. I'm a Lynda.com subscriber and I've learned hours and hours of multiple applications from programming to architecture visualization. Is it worth the subscription? Yes, if you're actually learning from it and not flaking.

Udemy is good but we aware that since they have different instructors on different courses, some are better and more through than the others. Also, if you 're only learning one thing then there's no point to subscribe once you're done, but if you want to learn multiple subjects then it would make more sense. I'm a Udemy subscriber and I've learned hours and hours of multiple applications from programming to architecture visualization. Is it worth the subscription? Yes, if you're actually learning from it and not flaking.

Code academy is good but we aware that since they have different instructors on different courses, some are better and more through than the others. Also, if you 're only learning one thing then there's no point to subscribe once you're done, but if you want to learn multiple subjects then it would make more sense. I'm a code academy subscriber and I've learned hours and hours of multiple applications from programming to architecture visualization. Is it worth the subscription? Yes, if you're actually learning from it and not flaking.

Buy a fucking book, learn from it, sell it , buy another, go to your local library and see what shit they got, use your fucking brain, look on the youtube, download torrents, check out free sites, read books, do it ever single day until it's like a second language to you, then, and only then will you be ready for the tournament

literally memorization, doesn't teach concepts.

Okay well then what BOOK would you recommend? I plan on taking C# classes when uni starts up again.

So you are a middle/high school girl who wants to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

So you want a starting/junior programming job?

You MUST master the basics of programming, and be able to implement your programming knowledge using any language. That means solving problems without relying on any particular syntax. If you cannot separate programming syntax from programming concepts/algorithms, then you will need to go back and focus on the basics.

After mastering the basics, you want a starting job. Let us look at languages that will help you launch your programming career. And no, you will not be earning $300k/year when you are just starting, but you may do so if you persevere.

1- Java. Enormously popular, Java is everywhere, and everyone wants a Java developer. A must for Android applications.

2- Javascript. It runs most of the internet! A must for website developers, along with CSS and HTML.

3- Objective C/Swift. The languages that power Apple gadgets. A must for iOS applications.

There are more languages in high demand, but they require more experience. Learn the following to expand your horizons:

-SQL. Because data must get stored.
-C. For real programmers.
-C++. For classy, objective programmers.
-Python. For high-paying software engineering jobs.

>WHAT OTHER LANGUAGES ARE IN HIGH DEMAND?
Other than what was mentioned above: C#, Ruby, and PHP.

>I WANT TO WORK WITH HARDWARE DIRECTLY. WHAT LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Machine code. Good luck, friend.

>WHAT HUMANLY-READABLE LANGUAGE IS CLOSEST TO THE METAL?
Assembly. When it comes to programming, Assembly is the apex predator.

>I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE LATEST NEW MODERN not-a-fad LANGUAGES!
Take a look at Rust, Go, Hack, Scala, Julia, Dart, and Erlang.

>THOSE LATEST not-a-fad LANGUAGES WILL GUARANTEE A JOB, RIGHT?
No.

>I STARTED LEARNING [language x] BUT YESTERDAY MY [friend/colleague/lecturer/uncle] SAID TO SWITCH TO [language y]. WHAT DO?
You have already started, so stick. That other language will still be there when you are done with your current task.

Dont do it the gentooman library is full of useless shit and every PDF is loaded with viruses

>Cannot decide? Flip a coin.
Studies have shown that flipping a coin produces a greater likelyhood of a correct answer than most managers. It is hard to find people who can make consistently good decisions.

OP here. Don't know if copypasta, but through it in photoshop and made a background so I can look at it whenever I boot my shit up. Thanks fampai.

>through it in photoshop

books, don't use websites if your goal isn't to become a code monkey

It wasn't that funny you faggot. English isn't my native langauge either so lets see you type that sentence in Romanian, faggot.

Why would I waste my time using a worthless language
Lmao

>Romanian
is that even a language

imo you dont really need books for the first while either. You can learn syntax and the more basic abstract shit just using a reference and playing around with the code

Okay everyone hah hah hee hee.

>Google
Do you even use it?

here you go:
learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
at the same time go through this:
kosbie.net/cmu/spring-16/15-112/schedule.html

That's Carnegie Mellon's intro to CS course all done in Python. Each section contains a short video lesson.

When finished, find an open source project done in Python, lot's of security tools are done in it, plus Django framework ect.

Go on libgen.io and find every Django or Python book you can find and read them to really learn the entire language.

Now go to Django's git page and find list of features people want to implement. Implement them. Then debug any problems that arise.

Do this over and over for a month or so congrats you're a programmer. You can only learn by doing, which means contributing to a large open source project and getting feedback.

When you're done go pick up K&R and learn C, or read through SICP so you become a better programmer. Also, Edx hires remote devs all the time and their stack is Django plus some java junk so you can easily translate this into paid work.

i don't want to get a virus googling romania

This is how I learned.

>Assed around making custom kernels

Not knowing what I was doing I patched shit and then fixed it when the patches were rejected. Had no idea what a struct or pointer was. Ported Grsec to my android kernel and assed around aimlessly (it surprisingly worked, for most Grsec features)

>K&R
I had an idea what loops and recursion were already but it's all explained here anyway.

>CS:APP (Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective 3rd edition)
This translates C to Assembly and gives you a complete low level view of how C abstracts memory on x64, what Big Endian is, what Virtual memory is in assembly, how CPUs work, ect ect.

>Hacker's Delight 2
Weird bitshift hacks on integers, very math heavy

>microcorruption.com
CTF challenge to hack around in a machine language. I easily flew through this because of that CS:APP book

>matasano crypto challenges
Again flew through this because of hacker's delight and CS:APP

>postegres open source project
Contributed to this, debugging/writing features. Also Redis.

>F/T job writing embedded RTOS
I was hired to maintain a RTOS, so picked up Andrew S. Tanenbaum's book on OS. Now I implement them.

YOU CAN DO IT

+1 on reading books.

You should buy a book or 5 and spend your time in IDEs and debuggers.

How to be a programmer and get a job as an entry-level junior developer.

1. Read all 4618 pages of this: www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf
2. Memorize these opcodes: ref.x86asm.net/coder64.html
3. Now that you know how computers *really* work, you have enough of a base to start programming in Assembly. Read this book to optimize every CPU cycle:
amazon.com/Zen-Code-Optimization-Ultimate-Software/dp/1883577039/
4. Now that you have a base in Assembly, we can move on to a high-level language like C. Read these books:
amazon.com/Programming-Language-Brian-W-Kernighan/dp/0131103628/
amazon.com/Expert-Programming-Peter-van-Linden/dp/0131774298
amazon.com/C-Programming-Modern-Approach-2nd/dp/0393979504
5. Now you have all the knowledge you need to create a graphical user interface using the Windows API. Read these books
amazon.com/Programming-Windows®-Fifth-Developer-Reference/dp/157231995X/
amazon.com/Michael-Abrashs-Graphics-Programming-Special/dp/1576101746
zetcode.com/gui/winapi/
6. If you want your computer to interact with the internet, you'll need to learn network programming in C.
beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/singlepage/bgnet.html
binarytides.com/winsock-socket-programming-tutorial/

We won't be using any external libraries because those are a crutch and only serve slow you down. Besides, reinventing the wheel every time is the only way to learn how computers *really* work. I forged my computer out of silicon that I dug out of the earth with my bare hands and smelted in fire that I created by rubbing sticks together. It's the only way to avoid the botnet and have true freedom. I know every single thing that went into my PC.

>I forged my computer out of silicon that I dug out of the earth with my bare hands and smelted in fire that I created by rubbing sticks together

Okay, now I know you're trolling. You didn't even plant the trees that gave you the sticks, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Check your local library. I get Lynda for free, and all I need is a library card.

Post the image pls

Go read a book.

>5. Now you have all the knowledge you need to create a graphical user interface using the Windows API.
It's kind of funny, but this is one of the first things I did when I was learning how to program. I bought a used C++ book from Borders and worked through the chapters. As you'd expect in a beginner's book all of the programs ran in the console. So I went online and started studying the Win32 API. This was in about 2000 and I was in middle school I think. Man what a clusterfuck that was.

I can't commend on sites, I always preferred having a book. This is the book I started with. It's actually meant for people with some experience, but I think that may have helped me in the long run.

Having a language in mind narrows it down a bit. There's a book called "C# In Depth" that has good reviews. The O'Reilly "C# In a Nutshell" also looks pretty good. I haven't read them though. I would just grab whichever book looks best to you and run with it. I think the best way to learn is to dig in deep, get a bit over your head, break things and try to figure out what went wrong. Some people want a very clean, orderly process but I think that's not the way to go. You should be seeing a lot of stack traces and taking them apart!

Here is the book I used. Not as popular as the classics but the author was good I thought.