Degree fags on SUICIDE WATCH

Degree fags on SUICIDE WATCH

john carmack is my hero

i wish i could be one tenth as clever as him, and he doesnt even consider himself to be half as good as someone like Enrico Fermi

Who this guy though

Half of the STEM degree cucks can't into high school math

Actually having a solid grasp of high school math is a lot better than just tenuously going through the motions of college calculus.

This seriously makes me feel better about myself. Now just waiting for someone to dispute it and ruin my day again.

don't worry, my nigga.

we got this shit!

It's not disputable. Look at his talk on rendering and light. It's all high school calculus.

We are engineers, not mathematicians. If you go look at his code, which you can, you will not find some mathematical genius in there, just engineering genius and skill.

He was a pioneer of the early graphics engines and technologies.

He started work on this stuff when 3D computer graphics were still in their infancy, so everything had to be learned on the job and made from scratch. Having a good knowledge of high-level math is arguably more important now than it was back in the day.

float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
long i;
float x2, y;
const float threehalfs = 1.5F;

x2 = number * 0.5F;
y = number;
i = * ( long * ) &y; // evil floating point bit level hacking
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 ); // what the fuck?
y = * ( float * ) &i;
y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration
// y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed

return y;
}

>// what the fuck?
every time

degree fags? Really? Are you that frustrated with your career?

magic

How does someone think of this? What's the thought process for figuring something like this out?

>tfw never made it past Algebra 1
I'm awesome at math, I just don't know much

Carmack is a real human being.

mathematics

#1 reason people drop out from Computer Science is Calculus 2.

It's called google, Carmack googled and stole the code.

Pop quiz to prove you're not a liar: which is bigger, 8 or 08?

>I'm not stupid, I'm just lazy XD

What is the type?

Missed a week of school and the teacher and I always rubbed each other the wrong way. When I got back class was essentially
>Mr Wagner how do I...
>OFFICE, NOW
>k, fuck you

After that happened a few times I said fuck it and just stopped showing up to class.

This isn't Carmack. He took this from Quake's source

He likely utilized pre-existing concepts, like the magic number, which wouldn't have been developed solely for a simple operation like this.

Not the same thing. I excelled in high school/early college but I dropped out to take a good paying job. I haven't taken the high level math courses but considering I never had a problem with Calc 1 and college Trig, I'm sure i could learn.

Sometimes you have to put up with assholes. That you couldn't even handle that to ensure yourself an educated person's future says a lot about your lack of dedication.

it's thought that someone at Sun came up with that algorithm. Carmack just made it famous

I'm not going to let some fatass twat treat me like that. I was doing really well then missed the beginning of the new unit and the goddamned teacher wouldn't do his job and fucking TEACH me how to do it? Fuck you, that's not my fault in the slightest.

>Sun
no, SGI.

oh, right. damn my memory sucks

They're equal? I don't want to answer because you might be a trickster.

Calculus 2? That shit's easy.

Relative to all other undergrad math it isn't.

If I recall, he wasn't the first to come up with the algorithm, but if I remember the story he figured it out independently regardless.

I found it easier that Calc I.
In calc I you need to memorize shitty primitive rules and variable substitution and shit like that.
Calc II is almost pure logic and math magic, you just need to think a bit.

>Think a bit

I found your problem. Remember in Calc 1 how the asians who aced most of the class couldn't figure out the word/application problems on exams, despite being mathematically easier than the regular problems?

The way the code is commented implies that the Quake programmer likely didn't fully understand how it worked, given words like "evil hacking" and "what the fuck?"

It's probably a case of the "Jobs" effect, where tech that existed was wasn't needed or desired by anyone, but was made mainstream when applied correctly.

It still takes skill to bring together existing ideas and make them work, for instance, for years Euclideon struggled to sell their "infinite detail" engine as a game development tool, but hit it off massively in the Geological Survey sector. They wasted a lot of time and effort and being called scammers trying to shove their square peg into a round hole, and all it would have taken is one person with the right idea to have avoided that in the first place.

>John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home

Me on the left

>remember the asians
>I found your problem
I'm european. We tend to think sometimes.

Anyway, Calc II is easy. Read about the algorythms and the theory behind it all, understand it, apply them in simple exercises, use the mental skill developed resolving simple exercises to ace more complex problems.

>Remember in Calc 1 how the asians who aced most of the class couldn't figure out the word/application problems on exams, despite being mathematically easier than the regular problems?
No, I didn't have a chance to look at other grades.

Thank goodness the state stepped in and corrected his awful behavior!

Those thighs.

by high school math he means including calculus. pretty much all college bound high school students will take calculus AB/BC unless they are lazy or going into some bullshit major.

why is kinuko so cute

Compsci is a meme
I know since I finished compsci

>the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs
BASED
A
S
E
D

mommy

Please explain.

>describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'
As opposed to?

There's nothing in there you can't learn on the internet. The only reason you'd need a degree is to apply to jobs in countries which require that for a visa.
You could learn the stuff in maybe in a quarter to half the time, leaving more time for projects.
The degree will barely help you with finding work as people want people with work experience anyway.

or at least that's what I see

That's true for every degree.

>Carmack
>Math genius

Pick one. He's no fucking Gauss

me irl

>implying
There are some areas that have a very limited knowledge available on the internet.
And even if you have, it's obscure without support from a peer.

>Not knowing Carmack

Get out board hopper.

Dumb.

I was including book torrents with the internet. What areas require a peer? Medicine?

Legs on a brain

Sounds like you went to school in America, where there are plenty of universities that teach programming oriented CS.

I finished my master's degree in CS at ETH and I had one subject for one semester that involved programming. The rest is theoretical approaches to computing and mathematics.

>pass Calculus 2
>switch to history afterwards anyway

Having a torso

>medicine
Definetly, too many confusing and conflicting information on the internet.
>engineering
There's stuff that's kept from the general eye. For example, a lot of specific software only has forums and manuals for buyers.

In general, it goes like this:
>bachelors
Shitloads of information neatly compiled, lots of books available
>masters
Much less information available. Some of the information available is from idiot sources that can't properly explain things. Books widely available, although they can use obtuse language.
>dosctorates
One or two books about very specific areas, general internet black hole.

You're right. I've started to run into a similar black hole, but I just buy the books.

Good thing Im taking calc 2 right now...
In highschool. Ill get to calc 3 or maybe calc 4 before uni.

CS cucks BTFO.

This is an 18+ website

Upperclassmen m8.
I turned 18 this month.

>CS cuck mad that highschoolers these days are ahead of them in math

I failed pre calc and am entering computer science in math 65. I should just kill myself now I guess...

Lmao, pre calc was the easiest shit ever

Don't worry. I almost failed precalc too.
If you practice your basic shit like factoring, derivatives, etc. calculus isn't hard.
Probably easier than precalc/college algebra.

Well, HS math is the basis of all uni math so there's that.

>someone else is successful
>that means I am too
Lol

Woah, this is some next level of lack of reading comprehension.

>one person is smart enough to be successful using high school math
>that means I am too
Lol

>high school math is the same as undergrad math
Bet you're a smelly gook who barely memorized a couple of formulas and thinks he's hot shit.

jesus integration is hard when you have to do those weird tricks

I get the whole riemann sum stuff about increasingly small additions that approximate the area in the limit

but all the unintuitive handywork when you apply it to actual functions?

I am totally lost and I suck

Just like doing any complex task, break down the primitive/integral into several small bits that are more manageable.

Then, if one of those bits has strange trig stuff (sin, tan, etc) just apply the old ways of resolving them (aka know the tricks by heart).

If one of those bits has retarded things like stupid fractions and exponentials, or roots, just substitute repeating patterns for one single variable, resolve the primitive using that one variable then change that variable again for the patterns, rendering the original primitive much simpler.

That's about it. The hardest thing is root and exponential fuckery.

this uses calculus which is college level

also good fucking luck understanding floating point and pointers like that from highschool math

>this uses calculus
No it doesn't. You could argue that you need college level education to get the iteration, but you really don't.

Newton's method is calculus, m8.

>calculus
>college level
I took calculus in high school, friendo. Sorry you were in remedial math.

i've always said he's overrated in terms of how smart/skilled he is but he's put in a shit ton of work and that's the difference between him and the common pleb

you have no excuse. Yeah teachers often are fucking dense, but you shouldn't let that effect you.

I hated my geometry teacher back in 10th grade so I just blew off his class and started teaching myself math. I had my headphones every single class and gave him lots of shit.

using what I learned in that class, I took a test to just get the credit for precalculus and took calculus the next year

>implying you need anything outside a good grasp of high school math for most advanced positions

Specialized knowledge stacks really easily once you properly understand standard algebra, calculus, and statistics.

shig

My highschool only had it as an AP class. Most students never took it.

>calculus
I'm pretty sure you need to have good knowledge of calculus and linear algebra for 3d. Unless you just want to make shitty flappy bird apps or unity games.

I don't think you know your audience here. People here are hoping to hear they don't even need that level of math. Which they don't if they just want to do like web development.

The amount of linear algebra you need to do video games or anything that uses a GPU is intense

Yes you can get away with just reading tutorials and shit but not if you want to actually innovate

His real accomplishments were in '90-'96 or so with making real-time 3D rasterizers viable on pre-accelerated era PC hardware.

He is pretty fucking all-around sharp otherwise, but he's mostly resting on 20 year old laurels at this point.

Also aerospace engineering.

That stuff is calculus but you need a solid grasp of linear algebra to get a gpu to do it, and that's not taught until at least after calc 1 in uni

they're have their heads stuck into either being codemonkeys or formulating a thesis that has zero real world value outside of academia

>only had it as an AP class.
>Most students never took it.
the fact that the first statement in your mind leads to the second statement is proof that you're an idiot who went to a school for idiots

kys

Contrary to what you think, he's not actually saying it's OK to be stupid.

Oh god, the grammar - The Knowledge - Oh kill me now! ;-; What the hell? We know where the Internet Black hole leads. 4Chans server. XD does Sup Forums use Sql servers By the way? I am scared. Oh and my connection is Unsecure. Bitch bye.

wow user you are really smart bro

It's just a two-piece linearization of an elementary function. The trick is very common in physics. For example in electronics it is called a small-signal model.