What broke for you recently?

What broke for you recently?

Updated this morning and my usb drive now mount randomly or not at all depending on what usb socket I plug it into. Help.

[ 1818.103294] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 64
[ 1818.105682] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
[ 1818.106626] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00
[ 1818.106633] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 00 09 10 00 00 f0 00
[ 1818.106638] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 2320
[ 1818.106697] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=0x01 driverbyte=0x00
[ 1818.106836] Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 2, async page read

Behold, the power of Linux.

Funny how no one else, including me, updated this morning and nothing happened.

If being stupid is your thing you can take your blog to /sqt/ like a normal person.

Bottomline: Fuck off

>/sqt/
Fuck your generals and containment threads.

My headless Debian stable install on my home server never broke.

i use mint because im not a retard

>Arch Linux
Found the problem.

>arch

Probably because it's a server and the number of packages are limited

Kill yourself idiot. Go be stupid in containment threads designed for you

unemployment general

>arch
you got memed, son

>look guys this arch Linux is so bare bones
>you have to install it with command line and read the wiki

>>look at me partition my drive and set the timezone with commands!!!

Nothing ever breaks for me though I only use xubuntu at home and fedora at work.

Arch has some neat ideas but it's not for me.

>Probably because it's a server and the number of packages are limited
Possibly, but then again that's the point. In my own experience Linux is extremely stable and reliable if the entire GUI part is not in use.

I guess the last time something actually broke is my Kubuntu 16.04 desktop install when I upgraded to Pascal, since Nouveau doesn't support Pascal and it now fails to boot entirely. Haven't bothered fixing it yet.

Perhaps you missed the topic of OP

Behold, the power of unpaid volunteers that make updates when they feel like it and only get around to fixing shit when they feel like it.

Very unprofessional. This is why I'm thinking about getting a Mac. It's really the only other option. Fuck Windows.

Sorry Arch, I should have trusted the professional devs with my life. Turns out it was just an issue with the drive making proper contact. Everything's fine now.

You mean you weren't plugging it in all the way? kek

How does manjaro compare in terms of stability and having trivial things working?

Kind of. It would give me the async page read error and keep mounting and unmounting plugged all the way in, but if I backed the drive out slightly it would mount and come right up.

Sounds like a hardware issue, not a software one. Try other usb ports /drives

Yeah, it's something with the drive because I was trying every port available and getting the same result. It's a drive I leave plugged in constantly and is always available, so when it wouldn't come up all of the sudden I assumed it was software. I should've tried some other drives too.

Lol I was just about to update my own system, then I saw your post..... glad I could help.

Nothing, because I'm not a hack Morty.

The only time things usually break in Arch is when something is wrong upstream and even this is fairly uncommon, so unless Manjaro is modifying the Arch packages in some way, it should be stable and everything will work without a problem. If something does go wrong with an update, it's usually pretty easy to target the problem based on the packages upgraded.

>so unless Manjaro is modifying the Arch packages in some way,
Don't know about this, but manjaro is several days behind Arch, so I'm guessing they usually take a look at new packages and either patch things themselves or postpone the updates

>Use Mint
>Not retarded

Hmm...

Arch Linux sounds like a decent idea, building an OS from the ground up but I'm too fucking lazy.

Cinnamon is pretty great nowadays. The display manager ir complete shit though

It's a cool idea and works well for most of the time but the OS never holds your hand for anything so you need to learn how to configure anything unless you're ok with the upstream default configurations

>this thread

That's why there will never be a Linux year

It takes half an hour unless you've never used a terminal and Linux before in your life.

I like it because debian makes their repositories as complicated as fucking possible, and you don't have to reinstall because something breaks when you do a dist-upgrade on ubuntu.

Also, the AUR is magical and has vastly improved my life tenfold. Can't believe I used to clone gits and build the packages myself all the time.

There are of course things that do this for debian, but I find they never work as well

>paid MS troll
What did Windows 10 break this week, Microsoft?

systemd

Read the thread illiterate hipster.

>It takes half an hour unless you've never used a terminal and Linux before in your life.
That's the boat I am in. Never been a Linux user but if I wanted something out of the box I'd just stick with Windows.

If your actually using official arch linux, it must be a hardware problem. Arch doesn't break things. Your mother sucks dicks in hell, btw.

this

MPV, for some weird reason.
Also GTK3 has been broken for ages, fuck.

The packages are shit. You have shit renamed and replaced by unrelated shit, resulting in missing dependencies and wrong packages being installed, for example.
Mint, being a fork of a fork of a fork, is shit simply because you cannot take someone's work and transfer over all the intelligence to extend it wisely, and then you do this twice and you get two layers of nobody knowing what the fuck they're doing.

install gvfs

I guess you're right, buy cinnamon is still pretty great in comparison to GNOME

>fork of a fork of a fork
What is Debian forked from?

fucking retard.

if the kernel was updated, reboot the fucking thing

When will we be able to restart the kernel without restarting the whole machine?

There's probably some update command to fix it.
restarting is easier.

nothing

The battery icon. Keeps randomly disappearing, and sometimes it won't even be there to begin with if I do a fresh boot. And there's no way to get it back, even through the system tray settings. Just have to keep rebooting and hope the battery icon shows up this time, and stays up for a decent amount of time. What a piece of butthole.

Just use windows or a mac ya dingus's

they said we didn't like a year ago. but it doesn't seem to be true lol. that was meant to be a kernel

Checked (Trips of truth)

>Probably because it's a server and the number of packages are limited
i'm pretty sure the debian repo has more packages than archs

>What broke for you recently?

virtualbox on i3 was all funky stupid
I reverted to older binary directly from official site
all is fine

fuck loonix

My systemd rule to rmmod/modprobe psmouse to get mouse behavior to not be weird on wake from suspend seems to have broken recently. Either that or I just need a systemd reload or system reboot, not sure how long it's been desu

>My systemd rule to rmmod/modprobe psmouse to get mouse behavior to not be weird on wake from suspend
What?

I'm not sure why, but on my laptop after wake from suspend the mouse input gets wonky. My guess is that it registers middle click as being held all the time, because it'll paste whatever I have in the selection buffer (not sure what it's called t b h), and you can't click on tabs/menus without shit getting crazy (e.g. in i3 it'll select all windows as if you pressed super+a instead of the one you tried to select).

I would switch to a different tty and back to my X11 session to restore proper behavior. After a while I found out that reloading the mouse driver made it normal and created a rule to do so. Now that has broken for whatever reason.

It's a pretty rare problem, you'll only find a few very confused people by searching for it online.

kubuntu 16.04
-network was missing after login, no network devices, rebooted, was back again.
syslog showed systemd/networking being at odds with my usb connected android
-reboot 2: after login plasmashell did not come up
-various graphics glitches in plasmashell

Samba (specifically gvfs, gvfs-smb in thunar) always breaks randomly for me when trying to access windows shares. One day it will work, the next it wont. I have no idea why. Never had this problem in xubuntu.

Samba doesn't work 100% on debian either. It's just shit

>Decide to try OpenBSD
>Download and burn it to a disc
>Put it into laptop and boot into it
>Follow all the prompts and reboot when it says to
>Upon rebooting, laptop gets to screen where I can press a key to enter the BIOS, then does nothing
>This happens regardless of if I have the OpenBSD disc in the laptop or not
>Can't boot into OpenBSD
>Can't boot into disc to reinstall OpenBSD
>Can't boot into disc to install something else, like Ubuntu

Now what?

ya dun goofed

dude just install TempleOS instead. much better.

Nothing broke, because I use Exherbo, a system designed to forbid filthy casuals. My package can have multiple versions of packages in a repository because it isn't made for retards.

Open task manager, find explorer.exe and kill it.
Next find something and its like "run task" and type explorer.exe, click "with admistrative priveleges". It should be fixed now

My Arch machine started randomly freezing. After trying EVERYTHING I thought I'd install Win10 on an old drive. Sure enough, that froze too. Yup, must be a hardware issue.

Anyone else experience 6700K freezes, with the frequency of freezes increasing if C-states are enabled? I've isolated the problem to either the CPU or the MOBO. I'll probably just RMA both.

Have you updated the microcode (intel-ucode)? Updated your bios? If c-states are a likely cause, this would be something to check.

Or just buy a Dell with all of the last gen hardware that's in the current gen MacBook then just put Mac OS on it. Same hardware except you save over a grand. Alternatively you could just use a different flavor of Linux.

Yes and yes. And addressed 20 other potential issues, none of which fix the freezing. Someone on an Asrock forum has the same issue with this mobo/cpu combination so I'm not sure if new hardware will fix it.

Aaaand since I posted that it hard froze again. I'll return the parts on Monday. Don't know whether to try my luck again with Skylake or try a different architecture like Broadwell-E.

>using linux for personal computer meme

:x