Xanadu working prototype released

After 56 years, Xanadu finally has a working deliverable.

xanadu.com/xuDemoPage.html

Some other resources:

* [A demonstration video](youtu.be/72M5kcnAL-4?t=1m16s)
* [A talk Ted did recently, also demonstrating the system](youtube.com/watch?v=dcfwLhDDMz4)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.python.org/moin/LeoEditor
youtube.com/watch?v=En_2T7KH6RA
xanadu.com/xanademos/MoeJusteOrigins.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump.

Like the musical from the 70s?

What the fuck is a xanadoc?

>56 years for a web app with microtransactions (TODO)
Wew.

Ted had many opportunities over the years to build Xanadu, way back in the beginning in the early 60s he had millionaire investors ready to build his system and he would always back out of it because they were not following his idea exactly. He got close a couple of times, once he had a bunch of math and EE grad students living together in a house and got very far with it. He also had Autodesk get very close to it and the someone there changed it and he backed out. I really hope he gets this working before he dies, he doesnt have too much longer to work on this.

what is this anyways

I assume you mean what is Xanadu? Depends on who you ask. Ted himself is very hooked on the idea that Xanadu should allow viewing of different parts of a document in parallel in different panes, which is a feature many advanced document viewers already have. The actual value of Xanadu is that it supports hyperlinking so that you are referencing sections of a document across the web.

Is it like leo editor
wiki.python.org/moin/LeoEditor

To expand on this: the idea is to have two-way links, where links are not embedded, but separate files. In the prototype now released, documents are assembled based on instruction files (Xanadocs) which specify the content that is to be included (spans), as well as links to be applied to it (Xanalinks). It supports fine-grained referencing, down to the character, as opposed to the www where you can only link to pages and sections in those pages (which the webmasters have to specify).

so why did above user >56406980▶
mention ee grads. does this guy need people who are good in formal languages, and he picks them since they got this covered or does he need them for ee specific stuff like protocols? does xanadocs use http as transport layer or does it have it own protocol?

What is Xanadu?

Does anyone know how to use ZigZag? On the homepage it says that documentation is included, but I can't find it anywhere. I did find a list of keybindings somewhere, but I still don't know how to edit or rearrange nodes.

In the demonstration video, he says that he had to adept to HTTP for this release even though he finds it less than ideal. I'm not sure what the plans for the future are.

>le zigzag data structure meme

>tfw engelbart is ded

Xanawhat?

A place where nobody dared to go, the love that we came to know

This guy was hyping the shit out of it for decades. It took him 56 years to deliver this piece of shit? All you can ever see in the demo is a shitty text box opening more text boxes.

What a joke

read his books: "Computer Lib/Dream Machines" and "Literary Machines" where he explains the story of how he developed Xanadu. Its very hard to find pdf's on the web of these books but they are out there.

>What is Xanadu?
best to let Ted explain:
youtube.com/watch?v=En_2T7KH6RA

This guy seems like the ultimate tech illiterate. If you have to work with clients, he seems like every autistic inane personality trait rolled into one person

the only reason that people even give 1/100th of a fuck is because project xanadu was mentioned in lain and as such people now have the image of some super sekrit illuminati soul connector in their head whenever they think of it

This is so stupid and ancient. No one is going to pay for content.

so it's like frames? lolllllllll

U da nax.

are you looking at the right one?
xanadu.com/xanademos/MoeJusteOrigins.html
this thing looks cool, that's for sure

This is autistic as fuck

So someone spent 56 years of their life making something that's pretty much worthless?