Why isn't there a service where you can just pay to download movies? Like torrents, but actually paying for shit?

Why isn't there a service where you can just pay to download movies? Like torrents, but actually paying for shit?

Just got a 4k monitor and realized the only way to watch 4k movies is to either torrent them or get some proprietary bullshit circus of blu ray players where I can't take movies with me, can't watch them on my laptop on the sofa etc.

The system wants you to pirate. It's actively, indirectly forcing you to torrent.

s-so they can earn more money that way?

No, they are just greedy. If you download a movie you may show it to other people or god forbid copy it.
That's why it's either a shorty stream or a drm-ridden bluray with 20 minutes of unskipable ads and FBI threats.

Netflix or Hulu?

I love how we've gotten to a point where downloading music in formats that are easily usable on anything is the norm now but for fuck's sake you'd better not be able to download a fucking movie or a book that we can't control and make you watch/read on approved devices in approved apps.

The fuck is wrong with these people.

They're Jewish.

Wouldn't this be Vudu or something along the lines?

>buy 4k tv
>want to watch 4k content
>have to buy blu ray player
>require latest and greatest standard hdmi cable which costs more than previous revisions
>buy blu ray disc
>watch content after raising my kids from toilet training thru to college during anti piracy and ads
>really enjoyed it
>want to show friend content on laptop next time
>have to buy ext blu ray for laptop or buy a pass to stream content but not actually own it
>fine I'll buy pass so i can show him on phone and not carry loads of shit with me
>turns out streaming is not 4k, but 480p
>what the fuck is 480p
>buffering every 10s despite shit quality
>mfw
>friend says something is up, meet another time
>reschedule and meet friend, remember about content we wanted to watch
>sign into proprietary app hogging space on internal memory of phone
>shit ui, full of bugs, occasionally crashes and is annoying as fuck but whatever
>pass expired, need to renew subscription
>pay yet again for this damn content
>finally get into menu
>try to find content via search
>no results found
>mfw removed from service
>can't browse other services until i have paid
>not gonna guess which one may have it or other content I care about
>buy fucking blu ray reader for laptop
>install drivers etc
>put in disc
>a millennia later, after ads and threats about how i better not fuck about and live an ez life by torrenting but buy into all this DRM and proprietary bs because it is the superior experience, the content actually starts

>mfw i just wanted to watch a good film and then see it again with my friend because i really liked it
>whole affair put me into debt and gave me crippling depression
This is how it is supposed to work.

>tfw it's easier, cheaper and less hassle to torrent a movie illegally

Bravo Lucas. Bravo.

Aren't there sites like this already?

Gee I wonder why the digital media industry is suffering so much.

>discover bandcamp
>lets me pay whatever I want over a certain amount for a album
>lets me download the actual files without any drm bullshit
>has a wide range of formats, including flac
why can't the movie industry do this?

Why not just get an Xbox One slim?

iTunes & Google Play

because nobody would watch a flood of shitty lo fi indie movies no matter what format.

googleplay is alright but nothing is 4k

Backup copies are legal though.

Movies these days cost way too much to produce. They hate the thought of that money going to waste while people watch it for free.

>Implying movies need to cost that much.
Do less "top notch" cgi and don't hire actors who want to get paid insane amounts of money.

I agree completely but studios don't want to take that risk. If there's no big name lead, and a slew of splosions, they don't think it will sell tickets and they're probably right.

Sadly, you're right. Because the mainstream audience is actually dumb enough to buy a ticket for a movie only to see a certain actor.
We are talking about the same audience who puts down 10 extra quids just for 3d, which 90% of the time does not add anything special to the movie.

Services like Netflix and Hulu are a push in the right direction. They both produce content that is available for unlimited streaming under a low cost monthly service.

Some of the content they produce is pretty good, and they don't rely on big names or cgi. I hate Orange Is The New Black with a passion but look at the hype it generated?