Sup Forums I'm going to university for >compsci in a week and I'm not sure if I should get a new laptop

Sup Forums I'm going to university for >compsci in a week and I'm not sure if I should get a new laptop.

I've had my HP Pavilion g6 for about five years, and when I got it at the time is was fairly expensive, however right now it's a piece of shit.

>Loud as fuck fan all the time
>Slow
>Battery doesn't charge so it's like a desktop
>Shuts off from overheating all the time
>20 minutes to start back up if it is turned off or accidentally unplugged

I'm not sure how a computer can have this happen after only five years. My old ass t42 even works better.

So should I buy a new laptop or is there a way to fix this? The worst part is I checked bestbuy.ca and there is a sale for a 500$ hp laptop but the specs are not even better than my current laptop which is pic related

Thanks Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.ca/en/ip/acer-aspire-156-notebook-with-intel-quad-core-n3700-160ghz-processor-windows-10-e5-532-p86k-white/6000195405107
shopineer.com/laptops/Asus-F555LA-AB31-15-6-Inch-Laptop
shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Aspire-V-Nitro-VN7-591G-792U-NX-MUVAA-002
shopineer.com/laptops/ASUS-X555DA-AS11
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also I would be grateful for any laptop suggestions if I should buy a new one

walmart.ca/en/ip/acer-aspire-156-notebook-with-intel-quad-core-n3700-160ghz-processor-windows-10-e5-532-p86k-white/6000195405107

This one seems good but I don't know a lot about computers like you guys

What's your budget, and (besides your compsci programming homework) what will you mostly be doing on it?

Also try /r/suggestalaptop.

>5 years
Honestly kind of makes sense, but you probably didn't give it a whole lot of maintenance over time.

1) Go onto Ebay and search for "HP Pavilion g6 battery"

2) Open it up and clear out all the dust and trash that's built up over 5 years

3) Replace HDD with SSD

If you're doing the whole "gayming on a laptop" thing, 5 years was pretty fucking good considering the abuse it went through. Hate recommending plebbit to people but the board mentioned here is good for your needs since they'll walk you through part of it, not so much here.

Have you even tried to reinstall the OS ?
Because that might resolve 3 of your problems

if (budget >= 1000)
{
buy new_thinkpad_precision_or_xps ;
}

else if (budget

Well the first three years I had it I played vidya pretty heavily on it. Thousand hours of dota plus other games. But I don't play vidya anymore.

Did I fuck it up?

I'm not sure I can reinstall it because it's windows 8. I hardly use this laptop anymore since it is so shit but going to university I'm going to need to

I'm thinking about 500CAD. My dad said he would buy me a laptop but he didn't say what price. I don't want him to spend too much money and normally I would just buy it myself but recently I got kidnapped and tortured by hells angels and lost about 10k and I don't have any money anymore

Here are some suggestions which should fit your budget. See which ones have the specs that appeal to you the most.

shopineer.com/laptops/Asus-F555LA-AB31-15-6-Inch-Laptop

shopineer.com/laptops/Acer-Aspire-V-Nitro-VN7-591G-792U-NX-MUVAA-002

shopineer.com/laptops/ASUS-X555DA-AS11

>Battery doesn't charge so it's like a desktop
>Shuts off from overheating all the time

For 5 years without maintenance I think your laptop is good. You need to clean up like repaste cpu gpu clean dust and reinstalling windows

Buy an alienware 13 or 15
I currently own one, the product is great but the problem is Dell's army of curry niggers.

>>recommending Alienware unironically

Have fun dropping out after the first half year!

>>ironically bashing Alienware even though you've never owned one.

You can reinstall windows 8. God. Don't go into compsci.

Also potentially your HDD is failing.

Follow this advice OP

I am sorry for your loss. If you had joined the alt right this would have never happened

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

Is doing this what you mean? I don't have the CD to reinstall windows but I don't really need any of my programs or files I have on my computer currently. I've mostly just been booting tails off a usb whenever I need to use my computer. I will google how to clean my laptop too

You won't be needing a laptop.
t. computer science student

Get a can of compressed air and spray the innards.

You will need a Windows 8 ISO. Try to get ahold of the Enterprise edition if you can for maximum control over your OS.

I think it was a good thing it happened to me

So I'm not going to buy another laptops, I'm going to do as you guys suggested. Buy another battery, buy an SDD, take apart my laptop and clean it and put in the SDD and then pirate windows and reinstall it again since I don't have the disk.

Then I should be all goood right

Scratch that last part, making a recovery usb stick

Should have bought a business laptop, my 7 year old HP still has 88% of the battery's original capacity

You can get the new Inspiron 7000 with 960M, it's essentially an alienware that's cheaper without the cringy packaging, though with a worse keyboard

Isn't the second 'if' superfluous? Just asking.

this

All it will do is distract you and tempt you to get bored of the instructor and browse Sup Forums and play games during class.

I'm in my third year of university for compsci and never once actually NEEDED my laptop for class, even though I bring it every day.

Yes. Its not needed

I would not go to college with under 32 GiB of RAM