Pi

Raspberry pi thread
Post your setup and discuss about those awesome little cards

Other urls found in this thread:

radioshack.com/apps/store-locator
devio.us/~spacemonkey/raspberry_pi_freebsd_web_server_howto.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

can the pi be used practically as a nas?

dat fan on your pi, is this a meme post?

An HDD enclosure, a 1TB 3.5" drive, and a samba server. done. doubles as a torrent server via SSH.

> raspberry pi have 2,5mm holes
> orange pi have 3mm holes
> I only have 4mm screws for PC mobos
Fuck
Where can I find cheap screws?

hmm, thanks will look into it

no, it only has 1 usb 2 host which is shared with the ethernet port. the performance is a joke, ~300mbit shared between the network connection and the usb hdd

Rpi NAS's are a joke only meant for people who are dirt poor and NEED an NAS.

Oh no, 300MBit. I can only download an 8GB BDrip in half an hour. whatever will I do.

Just drill your holes a little bigger.

Ethernet is 100mb/s FastEthernet anyway

hooked up to my TV, using it to experiment with and learn C

home depot, else, ebay

hows that related to anything i said ?

maybe those speeds are considered decent in zimbabwe, but no where in the first world

Look for the Banana Pi
It have SATA and gigabit ethernet

>botnet chinkshit

I'm currently using my Apple //e as a dumb terminal to my Pi.

Anybody with a CHIP or PocketCHIP done anything neat with it? I want to have some project ideas for when mine arrives.

That's pretty cool actually.

radioshack too

You should probably sit down for this...

They're still around.
It's a terrible rec, though, still, since they're overprices af, but they could have it on a blue moon.

radioshack.com/apps/store-locator

still plenty out there, nigs gotta buy prepaid phones somewhere.

if I had one I could replace the compaq nc6400 I have running as a ssh terminal
I'd have to rig up a battery though, having a integrated UPS, keyboard and display is nice on a server

If I have a home network set up and want to remotely access my files, how do I get that set up?

Port forwarding.

Awesome shit

How secure is that? Can I download files remotely?

>How secure is that?
if you use sftp and allow public key authentication only: as secure as you keep your private key. you can add a portknocking daemon to open the port for you too, etc.

This is some quality OC right here.

That picture is like a week old.

Didn't know, either way, it's pretty cool imo.

It is, but it's still mine. I just haven't gotten to taking a new pic of anything interesting yet.

here is my question, how to get one for free? can I win one somehow
>tfw not a normie so I don't have just heaps of friends to network and find somebody that doesn't use theirs anymore

got a pi2 to use as a cheapo proxy for when i'm out.

works well for that and some cli applications.

can't really ask for more.

install FreeBSD and use it as a simple web server

devio.us/~spacemonkey/raspberry_pi_freebsd_web_server_howto.html

I have a Raspi 3 with RTLSDR + dump1090 + Stratux to receive ADS-B/Mode S from aircraft. I'm still working on forwarding the dump1090 data to software that will display tracks on a map like an air traffic control terminal.

You can upload that data to flightradar right?

I was using a Pi for a network music player, it got too slow so now I am building one from a much older system and it's at least 10 times faster if not more.

In all fairness, the only thing the Pi is really go for is being a low power computer for shit that a regular computer from 2001 can do faster but with more power being used.

I haven't gotten that far yet due to being slammed at work for the past few months, but I was reading something about you getting a free membership if you're feeding tracks to them.

I was in the same boat. I had an MPD server and was trying to use the Pi to play music through some speakers using an MPD playlist on the pi pointing to the HTTP stream on the server.

It was having some trouble with choppy audio. While my phone or laptop would work fine streaming it, the pi didn't do it too well. I wouldn't recommend using the pi for any sort of audio purposes. Anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to use with speakers?

Have a specific project in mind, see what the cost of that project would be, get a job, and buy the components.

I am using an old Athlon 64 CPU and Mobo, 2GB ram, and running Kodibuntu. Works like Butter. To run the newest version of Kodi, you NEED a 64bit system because the devs didn't like maintaining a 32bit version

RasPi model 3 B thermal throttles under max load.

I know nothing about Linux and setting up a pi.

What is something I should do to approach having a pi torrent server?

Will have shit performance. All disk access forced through USB 2.0

is a raspberry pi powerful enough to be used as a plex server (not the client)?
I have a NAS which I'm currently using but it's not powerful enough for any transcoding, even just audio.
Would it be feasible to connect a Pi to my network and use it to handle the server while my NAS houses the files?

no, and more importatnly it doesnt have enough bus speedto transfer teh necesary data and compute and spit to network

I used to have it running as a DNS to block ads.
It worked well, but some sites get mad when you block them, so its just easier to block them locally.

Now its being used as a paperweight.

i'm using two of it to mesh network with my friends

Here mine
e B+ with 6000mAh battery
and HDD 2"5 full musique

why is it attached to a battery

Not that user, but how about Emby?
It has a feature where the clients contact the source locations directly and don't stream through the server.
So it would act more as a distrubition point of the media library

Plan on making a raspberry pi Gameboy with the zero I bought for a buck. Just got the OS on there so now I need to order all the parts and slap em together. Gonna make it a nice emulator for the old games I use to play as a kid

Use pi 3 if you want n64 or psx or even dreamcast

Is it fast enough to emulate those3

I was gonna do just the Gameboy, nes, snes Gameboy color, and other pocket games. I'll definitely remember that I need a pi3 for n64. Thanks

It's slow but it works. It's good because it's cheap af.

?
It's 35$ without the cables m8.

>Use a pi as a torrent machine at uni
>Torrent over 2tb worth of shit over a month
>Get an email from board telling me to stop
>I dont stop
>Torrent another tb
>Walk to dorm to see Wtf is going on
>Police and security in the hallway
>Am fugged

So what do I do now? Im currently at my friends place. Since I live in Tallinn it's impossible for me to get charged by police for piracy but the uni might kick me out

what are you learning exactly?

Thats 70% of my monthly allowance, fampai :^)

i don't think zero can be enough for snes. pi2 is barely ok with fceux (with some tweak on the code)
Maybe you can write an emulator i don't know and make it efficient with zero though. It's worth testing

I'm really jealous.

It will lag like shit, and the pi might not be able to support the power intake of the 3.5". I can't even torrent past 300kbps and that's only when I'm lucky

I can't watch youtube with my pi 2. Epiphany just has this weird player that looks like it's working (quality and sound ok, not too much resources) but for some reason there's an yt icon in the middle of the video and i can't pause/go forward in the video. It's sad because it really looks like it's working fine.
Using another browser like iceweasel is just out of the question, too much RAM and CPU usage the pi will fry under an hour.

Either encrypt or kill the drives. Change your MAC addresses. Claim you don't know what's going on.

Don't get kicked out for piracy, you'll never work again.

Also, set upload and download limits on your torrent client.

It's only on your Pi, right?
Just don't bring it in, say someone must have hacked your account. (if it is account based, I assume so)

Disconnect it, change MAC, change User-Agent of any browsers and anything else you might have on it to ID it upon reconnect.
Wait a while.
Use some limits next time.
Continue.

nigga, you need a powered enclosure. what the fuck are you doing.

Anyone have any luck getting PfSense to work on their Pi?

I have an original Model B and have no idea what to do with it

I want a media center for my TV to replace my FireTV which doesn't support x265, but the RPi doesn't support it either. Is one of the Orange Pi's a good choice? If so, which one?

And what would be a good remote to pair with it?

I have a 3 and a 0, I dunno what to do with them tho, all the mainstream sites have only faggy stuff

I've squeezed mine in a rotary phone, hooked the handset to speaker and mic.

Made a few scripts, that let you talk into the handset, use Google botnet cloud TextToSpeech, send text to cleverbot, then speech synthesis on the cleverbot output.

Result is a normal (if slightly slow) chat with a batshit crazy AI

I call it the ForeverAlonePhone

That's awesome

Finished, with HDMI and Wireless keyboard for when I need to update/test it

I've also made a voice Wikipedia search script

Next I'm planning to hook up the rotary dialler as an input for interacting/choosing script to run.

Thanks user

Think up a stupid crazy idea for a project, then star kludging until it works! A project one user suggested here a while back which could be fun - use a motion sensor, get Pi to play sienfeld bassline when someone walks in the room

I use an externally powered USB hub and have 3 1tb HDDs plugged in. Read/write speed is not super fast, but it's fine. Also have sabnzbd set up on it, and Plex. Werks fer me.

That's cool as hell, user. You should do a full write-up on how to make one. I'd love to try that out.

Turned one of these things I had lying around into a RetroPie machine.

Has anyone experimented with turning a Pi Zero into an offline cold storage for cryptocurrency?

No worries, I'll finish my write up at some point, and post my shitty ugly mess of code to git hub at some point, will post links in the pi generals when it's done

> torrenting terabytes of pirated content on a university network without paying $5/mo for a VPN

The fuck is wrong with you?

Okay, I have a question for all of you pitards - is it possible to run Skype on RPI?
I've been hesitating on buying one of those because every time I ask myself what would I need it for I failed to find a proper reason. Using it for skype would be a good one for me, but I've heard it's impossible so I got discouraged.
Has anything changed? Or maybe it was possible after all and just some dick mislead me?

it was just for a test about battery life
6000mAh with a hdd , Ethernet and mpd working = 7 hours working

Any hardware store (when I say hardware store I mean construction stuff like home depot, or any supermarket with that kind of section in it).
I have a mom and pop's hardware store nearby where I buy gardening shit and they always have the screws I need for radiators and so on, quite comfy also cheap.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it.

C

Mine was meant to ship by June, got pushed back to September or October, just waiting for it to get pushed back again.

>It's good because it's cheap af.
you can get a fucking core2quad with gbit ethernet for the same price

how the fuck can you change a mac address ?

does the pi3 do a decent job with n64 and psx emulation ? i'd imagine it would still be too weak

How fast is raspberry pi on torrents? i mean max speed

< 100 mbit
not worth it

With the low cost of powering a pi, and reduction in noise, it can be worth it.

I load up a list of movie/anime torrents, sleep, and they're all done by morning. With only a few cents of power used, and not the noise that goes with a full desktop.

It's definitely not the fastest, but if your in no urgent need of the data, I'd say it can be worth it for cost and convenience.

Depends what you consider more important.

there would be still better options, like eeeboxes. i recently got one for free because it had a broken gpu. gbit ethernet, dual core atom, sata, and doesn't take much power either.

Find your last energy bill, check how much a 1 kWh costs and assuming a generous scenario in which you switch completely from your PC to a RPI, calculate how many years would it take for it to return.

also, bumping for

The point is, you don't need gigabit ethernet unless you're running on half a dozen private trackers with no data cap.
There are of course better solutions, but 100mbit is more than enough, and adding in ease of use as unix boxes go, it's a good solution.