Android has a lot of custom kernels, but what about Linux? What custom Linux kernels are out there...

Android has a lot of custom kernels, but what about Linux? What custom Linux kernels are out there? Do you use any of them?

>What custom Linux kernels are out there?
Well, there's Android.

>inb4 Android is not a custom Linux kernel
Yes, it is.

why would I?

I guess that's true, but I was thinking more of custom kernels that people modify their Linux with.

Like that one that was supposed to make Linux more compatible with windows programs? What was it called?

xanmod

>compatible with windows programs
I wanna die

>but I was thinking more of custom kernels that people modify their Linux with.
Well, when you compile the kernel you can chose to compile it with kernel modules (or leave modules as loadable modules). In other words, anyone who has compiled modules into their kernel is technically running a custom kernel.

>Like that one that was supposed to make Linux more compatible with windows programs? What was it called?
Are you thinking about colinux? I thought that project died 10 years ago.

>What custom Linux kernels are out there?
Google runs kernels with their own networking modifications on most of their backbone infrastructure.

Plenty of CDNs run Linuxes with support for DPDK

I guess there's patchsets, like -ck, -grsec, -zen, -pf, and that sort of thing

Desktop cucks don't truly appreciate open source

gentoo-sources

Whose the fluid druid?

No, not really. Our computers are powerful enough to run real software. But I agree that laptops are for linux.

>real software
So anything not on windows is imaginary software and doesn't actually exist?

I think most major distros patch their kernels.

You would be correct in thinking so.

oh my

Faster than typing a captcha

thats a cute looking dude

Linux-ck all the way

Gentoo

Use the standard kernel my distro comes with.

In a VM I play around with Grsec/PaX patches but only because of work, in a Gentoo distro. The standard Android kernel is crap which is why a lot of people mod it.

I also tried porting Android numerous times to a modern kernel that isn't 4 years old. You can extract the Android patches, and attempt to apply them to the latest mainline stable and go down the rabbit hole if you want.

Once I successfully did this, plus with most of the Grsec patches working. Then Android went and updated versions totally obliterating my patches and it required another 2 months of rabbit hole so I gave up.

Indeed

I use the pf patchset (it adds the bfs and bfq patches), it is designed for desktop interactivity. Basically, you could run video processing software and the bfs schedueler will proritize that process, instead of the background ones.

>desktop
>not using the bfs and bfq

>Basically, you could run video processing software and the bfs schedueler will proritize that process, instead of the background ones.
In theory CFS, the default scheduler in the mainline kernel, should do it as well
But BFS definitively does it better, I can run BOINC without it affecting responsiveness at all