Does anyone actually use GNOME 3?

Does anyone actually use GNOME 3?

I used it for a while and liked it but switched to LXDE when I came to accept that I don't need a compositing DE to do the half-dozen workspaces / no icons thing.

unironically using it right now

actually I take that back, there's a hint of ironicism.

Si.

I like gnome 3 and unity unironically, they are actually pretty well polished and feel good to use most of the time, gnome gets kinda fucky with games and tabbing out and some extensions

Yes. It's gr8

Antergos with Gnome Shell feels good man

gnome with games has been perfect for me, at least compared to fucking kde crashing constantly and randomly minimizing my shit

hot corners and super key search are killer features. it is very efficient with screen real estate. there is a lot to love about gnome 3.

Gnome as been pretty good for almost 2 years now.

They fixed the application launcher and IMO is the best one ever, while Windows as 2 UIs ducktaped together and OS X as mission control, an app drawer AND a regular menu, Gnome as a very tight interface.

Just by moving the cursor to the top left corner (which is basically a gesture) you are focused on the search bar for programs, you have a view of all your open windows and have quick access to more virtual desktops.

Its perfect.

Unity is better than GNOME and KDE and XFCE and i3 and everything else

gnome runs the games fine it's just the UI gets in teh way and shit if you're playing borderless fullscreen, the dash keeps popping up if you mouse over the the edge

It tookk them 3 YEARS to fix pic related, but today Gnome 3 is a very decent DE

While I like Unity. Not on a low end system family.

GNOME 3 is my main DE. I also like unity as well for some reason. I just don't like the dash with all the scopes/plugins or else it would be perfect for me atleast.

torvalds uses it

I use Gnome and like it quite a lot. Unity, in my opinion, would be okay if they fixed the nonsense with the window menus and moved the min/max/close buttons back to the right. That shit is so annoying and pointless.

GNOME 3 is pretty good actually, I love the extensions. I also like XFCE, and if I had to, Unity is alright once you get it the way you want it to be.

Have been soo used to Gnome 2 that... when 3 came out, I couldn't stand it and had to go and see If KDE was any better.

PROTIP: it was and still is

Gnome is like Internet Explorer. You use it to install another DE.

Using Gnome 3 on Debian stable. It's the easiest, smoothest, most stable computing environment I've ever used.

Exactly. Gnome 3 is for fags. Gnome 2 was awesome. Why did they fuck it up by releasing 3? Gnome 3 makes smartphone fags happy.

Linus Torvalds finds GNOME 3.4 to be a "total user experience design failure"

I only dislike the latest version of the GNOME Linux desktop, Linus Torvalds, Linux's primary inventor, hates it.

Yes.

Gnome 3 is not bad honestly. When it first came out it looked like a bad copy of OSX's environment but since 3.18 it became pretty good, thanks to extensions and good theming. It has the best compositor over every single WM. Even Compton and unity's compiz can't compete. Nautilus is still lame though.

I worked with a guy who used it. He got fired after three months.

>Linus Torvalds finds GNOME 3.4 to be a "total user experience design failure"
1) Welcome to 2010
2) Linus is actually a great guy, I'd go drinking with him any night of the week, which is to say every night of the week. But he's still 100% fucking wrong about more than half of the shit that comes out of his mouth/keyboard.

this is objectively this best setup

Gnome is like Chrome. You use it when you want a polished and efficient user experience.

I switched to it from Windows 10, and so far I don't want to move back.

It can't deal with proper xdg compliant application sub categories. That thing is also slow as fuck and pretends every single icon is a 3000px animation in terms of performance.

Is there a way to disable the top corner thing? I don't like it that much as my arms and hands aren't very coordinated and I move fast a lot.

>Is there a way to disable the top corner thing?
Yes, several extensions will do it. Search for 'hot corner'.

yes. stock icons sucks so i installed numix icons

I tried Ubuntu GNOME, but I really fucking hated it and switched to Mint Cinnamon.

No.
I can't deal with anything but Openbox anymore.
I always have Gnome sitting there in case I have some weird polkit issue I don't run into enough to bother setting up in Openbox.

It's okay. Then again, I use XFCE because I am very conservative as I don't have much time to tinker around with my system anymore. I just need a DE that won't get in my way and XFCE fills that niche just nicely. I don't even care that it looks oldschool.

I didn't like Gnome 3 when it came out but now use it and like it better than the other DEs or no DE. Some applications suck but it's mostly smooth.

This.

I'm actually on KDE myself

I use it. I actually have no idea how to configure shit, so i just let it be.

I understood that reference

>wasting vertical screen space like that

it's all right with some plugins

>dat ui font
>dat misaligned clock text like its some "Tim's own linux distro XTREME edition"
nigga what are you doing, stop

The fuck is hinting? it seemed to have fixed the clock.

GNOME3 is created for touchscreens, not for desktops. It is like a dictatorship in your Linux.

>ironicism
Irony.

It's the only DE for Linux built upon modern technologies (except maybe KDE). XFCE/LXDE/whatever uses XRender from the year 2000 for god sake.

> with some plugins
Can you show full list please?

yup here ya go 1/2

2/2

Now gonna set up the same at my machine. Thanks man.

>GNOME3 is created for touchscreens
Bullshit. It's intended to be efficient use of screen space, which it does accomplish (just not by default).

>Mmod panel
Gonna check this out, thanks.

much better fonts now user! good job

Really? I used it half a year and get tired of it. Why does GNOME3 has so large icons in his menues? I´ll not miss it by my pointer, but a man´s finger can. Any programs can be added to menu, any no. I repeat, it´s created for touchpads and fingers to minimize movements. They wanted design like in iOS and had got like in RPG game.

Linus Torvalds uses it to work on the Kernel.

I'd rather use unity than gnome.

Gnome is comfy as fuck user.

Old habits die hard

Only retards.

>hot corner
>Not just hitting the super key

>icons
>menus
What the shit are you doing?
1. Click Super key
Then depending on what you want to do...
2. Click application to bring to focus (probably some keyboard way to do this, but I run i3 now)
OR
2. type application you want to run and hit enter

If you're going into menus you're not doing anything right.

Yes and it reeks of bugs.

I talking to you about this menues. I didn´t see there any ¨super button¨.

What do you see between control and alt on your keyboard?

Am I being trolled?

What difference do you see between GNOME2 and GNOME3? Am I fucked off to use Windows?

Gnome 2 was more about doing to your submenu for your applciation from basically a start button.

Gnome 3 I click the super key (or win key if you want to call it that) and I get to see everything that's open on my workspaces. I can either select one of those or I can just start typing an application I want to use say "evince" if I want to open my pdf reader. Then just hit enter and it opens. No needing icons or menus at all.

Personally I don't like the start menu approach. I also don't like the dock approach that unity and mac have. I like my clicking a button (or right now I have a combo super+d) and typing what I want. It's my computer, I know what's on it, I shouldn't have to search.

>Personally I don't like the start menu approach.
So what are you? 9 years old and this is your first computer? DE's always had a start menu "approach". You fags just can't accept gnome 3 is a P.O.S.

I want to control my computer, not only to see what it contains. GNOME2 is worse to see, but better to control. Of course, GNOME3 looks pretty good, but my computer is out of my visual control with it.

Gnome is the most professional looking and feeling of all the Linux desktop environments. It doesn't have the biggest feature set, or the flashiest animations, or the latest gimmicks, or the lowest resource usage. It's just a good all around environment built for people who are more interested in getting stuff done than fiddling with shit. People like me, who want a desktop environment to do its job when I need it to and stay out of my face the rest of the time.

>boğaziçi
>chrome
>adblock
>1366x768

I don't even use Gnome 3 anymore. I use i3 because I don't give a shit about my desktop. My computer is about running things not looking at flashy bars. I want to open a terminal? super+enter. I want to open an application? super+d then type in the name, I want to go between workspaces? Super+number. Why would I give a shit about a desktop?

For me the looks aren't that important, it's more about ease of use and being able to do what I want. As long as the colors don't hurt my eyes it's fine. I could give you a nicer version of the spiel above but I think you can get the gist of it.

All that being said, one thing I've learned being a developer is that if I like a UI it's wrong, I just make things look like the UI people tell me they should look.

>All that being said, one thing I've learned being a developer is that if I like a UI it's wrong, I just make things look like the UI people tell me they should look.

Your wife uses your software,doesn't she?

well some people like having shit work out of ox already with extra software added. I'm pretty lazy now and not into WM only but I used to do that . Now just give me windows or cinnamon and i'm good. gnome 3 is alright but i only have laptop right now with 1600x900 so it feels wrong. much better on higher resoulutions

>laptop
I love Gnome but I'll give you this, Gnome is only mediocre on a laptop, a WM is best for laptops, imho.

>hot corners and super key search are killer features.
hot corners yes
I like the search when I want to search something.
when I want to launch a program whose name I don't remember but that I know how to navigate to on the menu, not so much. Then the search becomes torturing, really. The full screen menu blocks my mind entirely too.

Fair enough, laziness was the main driver of my keeping gnome 3 for as long as I did. It just worked. Then I got a new graphics card and failed miserably at getting fedora to work with the proprietary drivers everyone said to use so I switched to mint with cinnamon and I just couldn't go back to the start menu workflow. Luckily work was slow (too many managers trying to decide what needs to get done) so I had plenty of time at work to figure out what I needed to do to get it how I wanted on my work laptop (switched just to stay consistent) and brought home what I wanted here. I think all in all I added maybe 10 lines to the i3config. Three for different screenshot methods, 1 to add a screen lock, and 2 scripts, one to turn num lock on whenever I start i3 and the other to set xrandr to handle my three monitor setup at work (one is vertical, at home it just worked with my 2 monitor setup). Then lines for comments about what they do. I spent more time/effort just mapping network drives and installing eclipse on my work machine, so no big deal.

>The laptop I'm on now is win 8 because I'm just so lazy.

>when I want to launch a program whose name I don't remember but that I know how to navigate to on the menu
If you're not retarded this isn't a problem

the fuck is your problem

did my disagreement with the interface hurt you so much that you have to put my intelligence in doubt?

fucking weirdo

>It doesn't have the biggest feature set, or the flashiest animations, or the latest gimmicks, or the lowest resource usage.
>gimmicks
Gnome 3 is Gimmick the DE.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin.

Hey man, I don't get paid if I don't make it look like the UI people want it to look.

This looks like something a child would enjoy.

Yes , I prefer it over LXDE, xfce, and unity. Maybe I should check out KDE.

It is not perfect , but I'd not gnome, then what else?

if i used linux on a desktop I actually would, so until wayland gets full support I can't really see it worth draining power and not working properly on intel mobile graphics

until then, Mate + Compiz is GOAT