Why aren't you using best linux distro? Even Torvalds himself uses it

Why aren't you using best linux distro? Even Torvalds himself uses it

Other urls found in this thread:

build.voidlinux.eu
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

One thing I don't understand is why the version of Anaconda in CentOS allows you to install a bunch of different groups while you absolutely need to download spins for Fedora.

I am using the best Linux distro. I'm not using Fedora.

I believe in God

relax OP, I am using it.

Because Manjaro exists

It may be better than Arch but both are shit.

I am though
kek

Fuck off sysmemed shill.
Gentoo the only thing.
Install gentoo.

>Normal Consumer Tier:

Fedora with gnome is the best if you don't mind doing minimal configuration (fonts, rpmfusion, codecs).

Ubuntu with Unity is second best if you prefer unity over gnome. No extra setup required and I might actually switch to ubuntu once unity 8 comes out.

OpenSUSE is pretty good too.

Now keep in mind all these top three have partnerships with Microsoft and you should email the maintainers and tell them that that's bad.

>Autismo tier

Arch if you're too dumb to install gentoo

Gentoo for real men

>wannabe hacker tier

kali
Manjaro
CentOS on desktop

>muh stability

Debian Stable

I can tell you've never tried to install a Gentoo.

It requires systemdicks.

>Why aren't you using best linux distro?
I am

If you actually use linux post a pic of your desktop.

I'm guessing you're a paid microsoft shill.

>Ubuntu with Unity is second best

> Epic tier
Void

>Manjaro
>hacker tier
For a second there I thought the post was serious

Arch is the new crunch bang.

Take it. And?

Actually, I was wrong. Fedora doesn't require systemd, it just enables it by default.

the fuck is void linux

It's what linux was supposed to be.

So now prove you aren't using systemd

The names pretty embarrassing

>wannabe hacker tier
>Not Pentoo
>Not black arch 1337 haxxor mode.
At least ou got Kali right.

Why?

Easy man.

Arch Linux without Systemd

Okay, so now withoutbeing autistic can you explain coherently why void is better than fedora and don't just say "HURR DURR IT'S """TRUE""" LINUX!!!11"

it's not

it doesnt really get much more pure than fedora with out going into all that stallmanism bullshit.
LOL

>Fedora with gnome is the best if you don't mind doing minimal configuration (fonts, rpmfusion, codecs).
and screen tearing

i don't understand how to install programs
and set programs to start on startup

i just use add-apt-repository, apt-get update, install commands on xubuntu and add the program to the startup program on xubuntu and it works.

anything else is a pile of crap for me and the coders take it for granted that you are a hacker.

0. No bloat.
1. Transparent build system: build.voidlinux.eu
2. Comunity-driven repository of package build scripts instead of unclear rpm system.
3. Rolling-release cycle (also the only acceptable).
4. Godlike binary package manager with option to build package from source with custom flags (as in gentoo) if you want.
Satisfied?

You're working under the assumption that any of that means anything.

I don't get screen tearing with video in x11, but I do when I resize the terminal.

Wayland is smooth as butter, so I just use it (fedora ships with wayland preview).

>when you try to make someone to look like they're trolling but they give you an actual answer

>0. No bloat.
meaningless
>1. Transparent build system: build.voidlinux.eu
Like other distros are keeping things secret?
>2. Comunity-driven repository of package build scripts instead of unclear rpm system.
So chinese and russian and American hackers control the repos?
>3. Rolling-release cycle (also the only acceptable).
Okay this is kind of good but sometimes rolling releases can be unstable.
>4. Godlike binary package manager with option to build package from source with custom flags (as in gentoo) if you want.
I rarely install from source and I never have an issue just git cloning and following the instructions when I do.
>Satisfied?
no

Because CentOS is better

For average user it's not, actually. But if you care about stability and rock-hard safeness, it means a lot.

none of those things listed matter for the end-user, "no bloat" the way you imagine it is actually detrimental.

>0. No bloat.
what is net install
>1. Transparent build system: build.voidlinux.eu
yeah, you're gonna sneak something in past redhat....
>2. Comunity-driven repository of package build scripts instead of unclear rpm system.
>unclear rpm system
you have no idea how repos work do you?
>3. Rolling-release cycle (also the only acceptable).
fedora is also rolling release....
>4. Godlike binary package manager with option to build package from source with custom flags (as in gentoo) if you want.
RPMFusion isnt good enough for you, but its good enough for the majority of sysadmins using RHEL and CentOS
>Satisfied?
no, bait harder.
installing programs is the same, just use dnf and yum instead of apt-get, commands are almost identical
start up programs depends on your DE

what is centOS?

Rolling releases are by definition unstable. Do I have to buy a self-serve ad telling people what stable means? It probably wouldn't take, since people who say that are normally too stupid to turn off their adblocker for sites they like.

You know, there's no need to samefag in order to defend youe opinion, it makes you look like an idiot.

or maybe your arguments suck.

I didn't same fag

>none of the things listed mtter for the end user

Care to explain why you think that?

Ha.

>installing programs is the same, just use dnf and yum instead of apt-get, commands are almost identical
nope, just google'd. launchpad won't work, will have to deal with tar.gz and other bullshit.

> Like other distros are keeping things secret?
Real build output is hidden in nearly all distro repos. Look at ubuntu ppa's for example. They provide only info that current maintainer want to provide. You trust the authors, not control them.
> So chinese and russian and American hackers control the repos?
German, actually. But you can use any mirror you want or create one yourself.
> I rarely install from source and I never have an issue just git cloning and following the instructions when I do.
Okay. Now try to uninstall what you've installed this way. Or use it as dependency. protip: you cant.
> no
So void linux is not your choice.

>he doesn't know

If it was 2009 I may have belived you

im lost m8. why cant you open a terminal and do
$ sudo dnf install "application"
?

i tried that on non-ubuntu distros. they don't find the application. not even screenfetch. maybe i did something wrong every time i tried.

ups, forgot image

dnf and yum are specific to RPM (red hat) distros, ubuntu is a .deb (debian family) distro. You need repositories enabled before you can find applications. Is this your first go at using a package manager? or linux in general? Fedora is the polished big boy distro. Ubuntu is kind of for beginners and non-power-users, you wanna be a power user, right kid?

>Researcher tier
Scientific Linux on a 128GB head node hooked up to a massive panasas fs

make uninstall

>Is this your first go at using a package manager? or linux in general?
been using xubuntu for 6 months.
>you wanna be a power user, right kid?
nah, just answring to OP's question.
>You need repositories enabled before you can find applications
yeah, the pain is there.

You suck at paint.

> what is net install
Implying base and coreutils isn't bloated. Also systemd installs by default even in netinstall, so it's no option.
> but its good enough for the majority of sysadmins using RHEL and CentOS
They also swearing. But they forced to use bloat because redhat distros is proprietary standard nearly everywhere.
> you have no idea how repos work do you?
I know how ubuntu ppa's works. I have no idea how redhat ecosystem works, you're right. I aim to simplicity, they aim to paid support sellings, so their advantage is in builing as complicated and clustefucked system as possible. That's all.
That why we're not going to make a deal.

man dnf

> Rolling releases are by definition unstable.
No if distro uses only well-tested versions. (not beta- git- bzr- etc.)

you're delusional buddy.
just google dnf repository adding. i did it once when i installed kodi, and have been able to find everything since.

That's not what stable means, douchebag.

I'd say we have the same level of skill.

Did Not Finish!

I'll be here all week

People still use Paint? How 2004.

> keeping all source codes on HDD all the time only in able to uninstall some shit in case i need to free up space
Well, it's smart

What stable means?

You talk like source code takes up a lot of space.

i don't care man there's no chance in hell i would ever use an OS called fucking fedora. no fucking way

What does that even mean? Are you too stupid to install Gentoo? Is it too hard for you?

Memes aside Gentoo is the best distro you just have to work for it. And by work I mean type words into a terminal.

What are you running now? Show proofs.

But I am.

Implying I have a gui on any of my Linux machines.

Then fuck off winbaby.

>using a gui
>winbaby
Sure thing Pajeet.

Only hipster faggots use Linux machines as desktops.

Screenfetch and scrot works without gui. You have no excuses just show it or gtfo.

why would you ever want to use windows for anything other than gayming

Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian, Fedora
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch

where the fuck did you get that info from?

Hacking isn't exclusive to arch, fag

well memed

you're right, it should be
>hacker wannabe: kali
>Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and SERIOUS hacking: Arch

> Makes fun of GUIs
> While browsing 40chins

I'm not fedorable enough to use a fedora operating system.

Why aren't you guys using Slackware?

>run upgrade
>suddenly all the icon labels in XFCE are off
good distro

Even with adding nero or nemo or whatever the fuck repositories Fedora would still crash on startup with proprietary nvidia drivers (yes I'm a pleb). Occasionally I could get it to work by disabling wayland but I think that just happened to work because it didn't every time. I've since switched to Mint on my desktop, work computer is still Fedora.

Don't use Cinnamon/GNOME/MATE though. i3 is where it's at.

>Torvalds

who?

and what the fuck is "linux distro"?

Creator of Sup Forums

slackpkg is a fucking nightmare

I don't know why someone making a serious comment would list Manjaro under something called "wannabe hacker tier."

>Consumer
You should read your GNU again.
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer

I actually switched from Fedora to Funtoo the other day. So far I'm loving the extra customizability, portage and eselect. But I still think that for an easy out of the box install OS, Fedora is king.

Install gentoo, shitter.

>Server
>Arch

Hope to god this is a troll

no im just hardcore arch 4 life