What does Sup Forums use their Pi for?

What use are you making of your Pi?

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/20-Portable-Raspberry-Pi-Game-Console/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I use it as an inconvenient, ineffective and inefficient Chrome Cast substitute.

I just use it as a desktop PC

What environment?

Adblocker and a daily custom script checking marketprices of vinyl.

In my living room.

webserver

Have a pi2 I loaded retroarch on for my daughter (age 6) to play around on. She loves it, and has really gotten into playing Pokemon Leaf Green on it.

Have a Pi1 Model B+ that I'm currently using as a iTunes streaming box in my workshop.

Have a Pi Zero that I literally have no use for. Had OSMC loaded on it until it stopped working for no apparent reason. Have thought about the Radio Throwee project I've seen tossed around, but there's also this I thought about doing for fun:

instructables.com/id/20-Portable-Raspberry-Pi-Game-Console/

Rpis aren't bad for hobby project boards, and they've a huge community following. Just don't overload them-they're designed to do one thing. Also, media projects are probably a bust.

I connected mine to a thermal imaging camera and mechanical arm. Once the pi detects heat over 24°c, it will trigger the arm to press down on a buzzer. The buzzer will then alert me of the shift in temperature, allowing me to quickly re-adjust the thermostat in my apartment. Therefore ensuring, I'll always stay nice a cool. It works great, but unfortunately there is a bug when the temperature reaches below 19°c, the pi reads it as if it's 44°c... Causing the mechanical arm to enter an uncontrollable fit which can only be stopped by a hard system reset. But, luckily that doesn't happen all that often.

Do you use OpenELEC?

Used it to libreboot my x200. Thats about it.

pihole to replace all ads with pictures of cute cats.

openvpn so i can access my network from the outside securely

owncloud to sync some stuff from my pc to phone

i uh...ok

Yes. Yes I do.

o and a webserver as a kind of cdn to show some vacation photos to my family.

Manage the encryption of some nuclear warheads schematics

trying right now to find a good way to stream music from the pi to my android phone wherever i am

it's tough, but only because i'm stupid

Web server, with my portfolio and Nextcloud on a 1TB HDD.
And few more things.

I get that reaction quite a lot for some reason. It's honestly a pretty good system if you think about it.. Once I patch it up, and create a stable test model, I'm considering crowd funding the project. I could also make it alert your phone in case you're away from home!

Just for network storage

I set up a torrent/samba server that I also use for backups

...on my Mac Mini G4. My Pi just sits in a box.

I just run Weechat in a screen on it atm. I have some projects in mind for it but desu I'll probably just make it a Minecraft server or something.

Why do you say it's inconvenient, ineffective and inefficient?
My father use it daily on his media center (not a raspi) and it's very convenient.

Is Nextcloud good? I've been running owncloud for a few years now and thinking about switching.

it's basically the same thing, more up to date.

Because it's slow, clunky and power compared to a HDMI dongle.

if this was a real thing which i doubt it is, wouldnt it make more sense to use the pi gpio pins or something and wire a buzzer directly to it or use a speaker or something,

power hungry***

Sounds like a good thing, what kind of webserver are you using? apache is pretty slow on my Rpi 2b, is nginx better?

Chromecast gets pretty hot even when not streaming - I'd be surprised if its power usage was less than a pi.

always use nginx, especially on low-memory systems. it's faster and it's not even hard to configure

That sounds more than applicable for the consumer edition thb... In my case, I had an arm lying around that wasn't getting any good use, also the arm is half the fun!

is this a legit thing, post a picture

Hello Rube Goldberg, how's death treating you?

I use one as a bartop arcade cabinet (using an old iCade cabinet I had lying around and a 10.1 inch screen).

I use the other to interact with my Apple //e. I either use it for connecting to BSSes (running tcpser on my Pi), browsing the internet (using my Pi as a WiFi bridge, since I have an Uthernet II card which provides connectivity), or just using it as a dumb terminal.

Looking for a new project at the moment.

kek

I keep it on my table and prag about it on Sup Forums

How's your Orange pi? Just ordered a bunch, I gotta resell some in my 3rd world country and keep one for myself.

MicroCenter has Pi Zeros for $1 today.

It was harder to install because some image didn't work. And it heat more.
I recevied it last week

LAMP/MEAN server for testing code because sometimes I'm too lazy to run a VM or a Container and don't want it locally.

Nothing, I'm a rational being and my Pi is irrational

Collecting dust

I used to have Kodi on mine but I have to reinstall the OS every 5-6 reboot because the memory card get corrupt.

Now when I plug it in the CPU make a loud strident sound.

I don't use it anymore.

Mumble server for my internet friends

>the CPU make a loud strident sound.
how is that even possible

used mine in a prototype setup for customer validation. never head back of it.

is this a new general?

I made a bot with ruby and python + openCV (for captcha) that gets in real time the posts from the 1st page of r9k and post them on everything on the first page of Sup Forums

I have many pis:
Three Pi3 running OSMC for media streaming from my server attached to different TVs in the house.
Another Pi3 with a touchscreen and a breakout board in a nice case that I use for automated testing of PCBs I design after I build them before I ship to customers.
I have two OG pi Model B that were recently retired.
I have just picked up a pi Zero that I'm going to use to emulate various USB devices in USB gadget mode.

Your first project is a much cooler version of what I'm doing.

I loaded made mine into an emulator using retropie. Whenever I babysit my younger family members now, we have something to do together.

I'm trying to reinstall my orange pi.
My shitty cheap HTMI TV crop the bottom, and I can't see the last line of the bash (even if i "move the image" in the tv setting to the max). I don't reinstall my OS everyday, so I don't know what it's asked by heart.

It's literally a "die and retry" bash.

Plus it's on azerty keyboard (i'm french), but it's configured as qwerty.

owncloud server

> raspberry pi 3
> full size sd

Kys

Get a good case and/or controller for it. Try to make it feel more like whatever you're trying to emulate.

Retropi with 2 chinese $2 snes controllers.
Works fine.

You need a full-sized one if you're working with a typical, cheap SD card writer, user.

It's obviously an adapter.

PS3 controllers are good but the six axis bluetooth drivers can't run with the regular one meaning if you want to use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse you have to disable you ps3 controller

Host my personal, barebones site. Saves me the $5 a month for a VPS.

Here's my Apple //e connected to the Internet by using my Raspberry Pi as a WiFi bridge.

Are you fucking serious?

Yep. I have an Uthernet II card installed which provides the Ethernet compatibility. I'm using the Contiki Web browser (there's also an IRC client and telnetd).

The commands used were:
sudo apt-get install bridge-utils
sudo brctl addbr br0
sudo brctl addif br0 wlan0 eth0

(Using Raspbian Jessie)

I want to make a wireless solar powered pi hole/pivpn for shits and giggles.

For more serious stuff I would like to make a garage door alarm/detector of sorts.

What is strident
CPUs arent mechanicql where is the noice coming from

That is hilarious. And a good use of a pi too.

I use mine as a personal Git server, and, when neccessary, a public Git server too. Hosted on a Raspberry Pi Zero using Gogs.

You can use them as gadgets too, such as HID mice, keyboards, webcams, midi input etc.
I just hook mine up as ethernet, and I only need one microUSB cable. On the machine, I share the machine's internet connection.

When at home, plug in ethernet and power it on. Accessible to every machine in the house.

Remote & scheduled Wake on LAN server so my desktop can heat my room with Folding@Home on cold mornings. Also MiniDLNA and mumble.

Try SubSonic or some fork of it. I use LibreSonic on a VPS.

I use my pi to send serial USB commands to my arduino-controlled homebrew CNC. The CNC is shit because I handbuilt it all, but the electronics works like a dream and I don't have to use autistic G-code, I can just use my own image-to-instructions python program, then send all the instructions via serial python. Probably saved myself a few hundred choosing to write my own programs and use a pi + arduino, rather than buy real stuff.

Home made ambilight on my main tv.

>OpenELEC
adblocker how?

why not just make the PI control the thermestat or be the thermastat. 2-3 small relays will work

kek

so your the dick.

should any powerbank will work with it?
im planning on getting a solar powered powerbank to power it

and hid it my friends place. stealing his wifi

packet sniffing

I wanted use mine to make an ambilight, but realized it will be a clunky cable spaghetti, so I didn't.

no, you need one that can output 2a at 5v

>Available for In-Store Pickup Only.
tfw no store in my state

Fucking hipsters

Don't encourage him, he'll just post it again and again.

Mine's far enough away that I'd piss out $4 in gas just to get there and back, and it's 1x per customer.

Nice ima/g/ination..

saved

Hey, that isn't my dumb terminal.

made this thing

Apache server, and router (with VPN)

What is it and what do you play on it?

battery-powered rp model b running retropie. played everything up to snes/genesis/mame, ran a shitty linux desktop, and functioned as a portable composite-in monitor until i fried it like a dumbass.

Has anyone experimented with using the Pi Zero as an offline cold storage wallet for cryptocurrency?

hentai@home

I have a receipt printer a grocery store gave me because they were replacing them.
I use it with my pi as a ticker

Right now it works with sms and twitter.

Just FYI, Chrome browser has an extension "Cast for Education" that allows you to turn any browser into a cast-able device.

i using as a seed box for torrent with an 2"5 harddrive and a script for bind openvpn to transmission-daemon.
Can acces in web to your torrent page with settings and nice views.

i work since 2 years ( it's a B+) and has always working good =)

Distributed password cracking cluster

>16GB SD bug.

Use a 16GB or smaller card and everything works fine. Still no fix...

i use a micro SD 32Gb ( samsung ) work fine

>Nothing, I'm a rational being and my Pi is irrational

Cute

Dust collector. It's pretty good at it.

It'll hose itself some day.

I have an idea with a pi.
>I bought a IBM Thinkpad 600, 3$.
>Dont work, so i dissamble it.
>Find a monitor laptop 30x30, buy a display, make it hdmi.
>Make a keyboard.
>Put the pi in the empty laptop.
>Conect all.