Okay Sup Forums how easy is to to use linux? what do I need to know...

okay Sup Forums how easy is to to use linux? what do I need to know? do I need any programming knowledge or can I use it just like windows? should I just stick with windows 10?

Just as easy as any other OS. You need to know how to install an OS, no need to "know programming". If you're coming from Windows try zorinOS, linux mint or Ubuntu mate since they look like windows and are user friendly.

It's really easy to use it, it's just that you can't really use it for much. You need to know how to install an OS and how to look up stuff on the Internet to fix the many retarded problems you will have. Refer to this post for more info:

If you enjoy tinkering around with an OS, and have a lot of freetime, then yeah, linux is good.

If you want something thats dependable though, windows is the better option.

>windows
>dependable

>Dual Boot

linux is utter crap, use bsd, pcbsd is good start, it runs linux programs

>using meme arrows as your only counter.

>

>implying it's not

That's why every organization that makes money in the world use Windows right?

>okay Sup Forums how easy is to to use linux?
As easy as you make it. *buntu for example is a good beginner distro that 'just werks' but tinkering with it is somewhat limited,
>what do I need to know?
How to follow a graphical installer to install it. And maybe read up on how it works under the hood compared to windows if windows is what you are familiar with and want to get a better understanding of how it works. Last part is highly optional though.
>do I need any programming knowledge
No programming knowledge needed.
>can I use it just like windows?
Apart from working slightly different under the hood, yes. Unless you wanna go deeper they basically work the same on the surface +/- a few small differences like how they handle software installation for example.
>should I just stick with windows 10?
I don't see why you wanna do that.

>tinkering with Ubuntu is somewhat limited
bullshit
>how it works under the hood
OP is too dumb for that

Just install fucking Ubuntu and learn how to Google you dipshit.

it's fancy & fun Op

shit i fucked up

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Mint
That piece of shit is neither good, stable, nor fun.
It's an unstable ripoff of Ubuntu modded for winbabbies with baby duck syndrome.

>I don't have a job so I spend all day ricing arch
Shitters like you give honest working GNU/linux users a bad name

>mint

where do you see Cinnamon on my picture

>Mint logo
>not Mint

Nothing can make that Mint shit less shit.

The only GUI programs I use are Firefox and GIMP. The rest are CLI. :^).

But you can use Linux with minimal CLI if you want. It's not difficult to learn. I did it when I was 14 back when Fedora first came out.

The beauty of GNU/Linux is that you have the choice to use it as you wish, and change it as you wish. It is a truely free operating system.

What is ricing???

Making special Linux CDs out of rice... First time hearing it?

Yup

Windows idiots think it's stupid, since Windows doesn't support half of the stuff that Linux does.

Like what??

Not all AAA gaymes support GNU/Linux, but it's a lot better as a daily driver.

Support for more than one file system.

File systems for one, Windows' security is also a joke, Linux is a waaay better platform for software development, most of the software is downloaded with 2 clicks on the "store" or 1 line of code in a CLI. The only problem with Linux is it is not properly supported by AMD graphics drivers, but they are better than ok for daily use.

In fact compared to silicon it is much faster, I hear that even intel is going to start using it for producing CPUs.

>what do I need to know
I would say that if you can read and write at a decent level in english, you are good.
>do I need any programming knowledge
Need is a strong word.
You will have an advantage and will be able to do more with it, but I guess you can do it with no programming or scripting if you really want to.
>should I stick with windows?
That is up to you and what you use a computer for.
I personally find it to be a good system, but I also enjoy spending time to find clever solutions to tedious problems.

Bash scripting is not some arcane magic that only wizards of a lost world can do.
If you do switch, you should consider that every problem you encounter has a solution and if you know how to solve them yourself, it is a much more enjoyable system to use.
You learn a lot about the system you use if you decide to try it.

They just can't get over the fact that silicone is 20th century technology and move on.

just do what i'm doing and use an easy beginner distro like xubuntu or ubuntu mate

i can do some basic things in terminal and just google the rest when i run into problems due to retardation

i have everything backed up so i can tinker and mess around with it to see what happens without worrying about losing shit

Stick with windows

is xubuntu good?

That's not why. They use it because it would be retarded to train every dumb fuck end user how to use Linux. Its really not that difficult if you stick to Ubuntu or Mint.

>>tinkering with Ubuntu is somewhat limited
>bullshit
Unity throws up more walls than other DE's.
You can change the DE like on any other distro, but I don't think that is what he meant.

i like it and it runs better and smoother than any windows i've used. the only problem i had was screen tearing (i think most people get this too?). it's an easy fix anyway

What is deference between ubuntu and xubuntu???

different desktop environment

regular ubuntu uses unity, xubuntu uses xfce. i tried unity and hated it.

Ubuntu uses Unity. It's a slightly heavy but very sexy DE (Set of applications, and the interface)
Xububtu uses XFCE instead. Goole XFCE.

Yes, but I would recommend Kubuntu over it if you have a decent computer (at least 4GB RAM and a modern processor - at least a mobile i3 or equivalent).

If you want an even more "refined" feel, go for Ubuntu Gnome.

It's really easy. You might run into a little frustration just because you're used to Windows. But nothing is inherently difficult, it's just different.

At first hard, but you get used to it after a month.

I highly recommend Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu as a starting place. (and maybe just permanently)

The most important thing to remember is be patient, and Google things. Most problems you have will be initial problems, and you'll be able to work past most in fifteen twenty minutes or so.

Linux is cool because you can update all your programs from the terminal. By the way. Don't be afraid of the terminal - it is your friend, and will never abandon you.

Don't feel any obligation to try a more complicated distro because the Internet told you to. This board is very elitist, but if it werks it werks. This thread should be an example of this.

Have I mentioned be patient? Yeah, be patient.

Even if you aren't an arch user, the arch wiki is an awesome place to help troubleshoot issues, so don't feel like you can't read it because the two systems aren't the same.

Is dual booting xubuntu and windows safe???
and can i remove it later?

yes and yes. just know what you're doing first and don't write to the wrong partitions!

yes, i did it for about a month. easiest way to do it is to just install xubuntu on a different drive and just choose which drive you want to boot into. if you don't have a second hd then you will have to use a partition on your current drive, or you may have to resize your windows partition.

i used a partition on my windows hd and i had some boot problems at first. took some time to fix.

Depends on the distribution. The common hardships of Linux distributions is when your distribution doesn't have the drivers for your hardware. Occurs more often in distribution that do not officially support proprietary drivers when nobody bothered to make a non-proprietary driver for your hardware.

If you want ease you want to do with distributions that have a loose policy on free software.

Mint, Ubuntu, Mangeia and PCLinuxOS are good for beginners.

> Just as easy as any other OS
You have definitely never used Red Hat.

if anything, windows might fuck up your linux install. Just be careful when formatting disks and stuff, and you'll be just fine.