Your wine programs

>programs that aren't supported on Linux and using an analogue is absolutely out of the question

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_malware-compatible.3F
wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Containers
wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_good_is_Wine_at_sandboxing_Windows_apps.3F
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Ableton
One of the few programs for which there is an actual clone on linux.

Whats it called

Bitwig

StarUML, because StarUML2 is not working on xenial
if anyone knows the alternative that can open .uml files please recommend

using an analogue of Ableton is absolutely out of the question?
Most producers do fine without ever even touching ableton. There are like a dozen "analogue" programs that do exactly the same thing

>inb4 photoshop
you can run older versions of it, same with office

foobar

i don't like any of the music players on linux. i'm too used to foobar set up to use anything else. i've been using it for like a fucking decade. clementine is alright but ehh

Because I'm an old man that doesn't like change.

fucking bitwig

Notion, because there are no good notation programs for linux

>music player in wine
TOP KEK

None.

If I need to use an application I add it to Steam on my server and use Steam streaming locally on Linux.

League of Legends
Starcraft II

don't you fuckers dare say bitwig it might get there someday but at the present it isn't near the current ableton

This

Morally I wouldn't have a problem to burn every single Linux user on this board.

>Bitwig
Fucking pedophile niggers on this board actually compare Ableton to Bitwig. Bitwig is in fucking kindershoes, it's a literal joke. Only someone who is a fucking amateur producer would claim that Bitwig could replace Ableton

Also there is nothing that comes even lightyears close to Cubase/Logic/Studio One.. also lack of VST etc etc..

>Bitwig
so I see you haven't used it :^)

>problem to burn
poo

World of Warcraft. Works perfectly!

Lel, I had been a beta tester and tried every version that has been coming out so far. It still lacks so many features, it's an insult to call it a professional DAW you fucking pedophile

Just a few games that I bought back when I was a Windows user. Skyrim, the first two BioShocks, and a few others. The rest of my library is either shovelware I got for free, supports Linux, or is MGSV: TPP which I had already finished and didn't really like the online aspect of.

How can I install league of legends? Do you know of a guide somewhere?

and the funny part is.. as soon as you install any Windows programs, the whole point of having Linux on your machine is gone. Linuxfags are the biggest turbofaggots that have ever existed on this fucking shit planet.

none, everything i need is able to be found on gnu/linux

Brainwave Generator.
Fun times.

>muh open sores
Fuck off. Not all of us have autism.
The majority of people using Linux give zero shits about open source or closed source.
All they care about is Shit Works and Isn't Windows. The fact that a program works in Wine doesn't make it vulnerable like it would be on Windows.

I installed it ages ago and kept the uncompressed 2~GB data file and used that for reinstalls ever since (and patched to the most recent version at first launch)

I never really tried installing using the minimal downloader recently but I hear it is tricky

There's nothing particularly good about Ableton except that it has a slightly less shitty UI than most DAWs.

FL lets you do more and better.

>The fact that a program works in Wine doesn't make it vulnerable like it would be on Windows.
Lel, you're wrong here you fucking moron.

I actually tried this when I first switched.
Couldn't get the multimedia keys to work, so I tried Amarok.
I still use it to this day.
It's godly.

>FL lets you do more and better.
t. Nigger Hip Hop Producer or Swedish EDM faggot

Or a person that appreciates FL's clearly superior wet/dry function.

Go ahead and explain what makes Ableton so good.

Only if you are a fucktard that runes Wine in su(/do).

Viruses in Wine can't do fucking shit.
The majority of viruses depend on very specific failings in Windows, which most of Wine won't have because it is reverse-engineered with entirely different unerlying code running said Windows binaries.
Wine is literally a wrapper for Windows calls mapped to Linux calls.

The only things Wine-run Malware can do is shit on your Wine directories, or if you were retarded, your home directory.

Also
>not sandboxing all your programs by default
Your problem when malware authors write Wine-detection code.

you are talking about exploits

when you actually execute the program (malware) it can do whatever your user has permissions to do

BSD sucks.

Yeah, exactly, hence the su part.
The majority of calls viruses depend on simply don't exist or caused any harm under Linux, besides the wine virtual directory.

The worst thing something can do is be persistent, a botnet, or scanner.
It is Good Practice to not have that happen by moving the drive mount. Instantly shits on scanning.
Equally you can prevent shit being persistent by terminating your Windows processes not by closing it, but by having a button or script somewhere that terminates every single process through wineserver -k.

And, again, sandboxing and preventing reads outside of it will also work far better.
Running all the same programs under one Wine instance is hilariously retarded. (just as it is on Windows, never not use Sandboxing)

You can also, you know, look at your damn processes and see the damn thing running. Or, y'know, don't be stupid and download viruses.
Never had a virus since the 90s and I've been on all kinds of dodgy sites.
What the fuck do you retards do?
Stop clicking stupid shit and use whitelists.

musescore isn't good?
rosegarden?

>don't you fuckers dare say bitwig it might get there someday but at the present it isn't near the current ableton

Agreed. Key functionality missing.

And I wanted to switch

So you're a professional producer user?
>amateur producer detected
>lack of VST
There are tons of plugins.

>Key functionality missing.
Name a few?

wine has full access to your users homedir
wine is not a sandbox

>full access
If you are retarded when setting it up improperly.
This is literally in the damn Wine FAQ.

>not a sandbox
No fucking shit. Learn to read.

No wonder you think it can be problematic.

This

They're both shit in comparison to sibelius

>Implying you've given them a thorough and fair chance
>open > oh it doesn't work exactly like sibelius, must be shit

> install DOTA2
> stop being a pleb

>UML
kys

the wine faq literally tells you you are full of shit

wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Is_Wine_malware-compatible.3F

>Removing the default Wine Z: drive, which maps to the unix root directory, is a weak defense. It will not prevent Windows applications from reading your entire filesystem

the faq says nothing about protecting your filesystem

because, uh, that is done by file permissions? wine isnt executed as root by default.

mpd is still the undisputed king for me

clean server/client operation, I can use multiple clients for multiple purposes; I have a client on my phone, a curses-based client for when I need one, a command line client, hotkeys in my WM, scripts that act as “clients” to do various things, etc.

Also the fact that it's a daemon means I can do neat things like autostarting it as a background service when I log in, getting logs via journalctl, etc.

It's just so unbelievably comfy I can't fathom how anybody else would rather have some shitty bloated all-in-one music player with a limited interface

Continue reading the damn sentence if you are going to cherrypick.

Also, it is trivial to disable write and directory permissions.
I'm sure that was in the FAQ last I checked it, but it doesn't seem to be there now.
Why it isn't is beyond me, fucking stupid if you ask me, it works.

Also, sorry, it was in the build guide.
wiki.winehq.org/Building_Wine#Containers
And below that.

wine has permissions to do everything your user running the application has permissions to do, this includes your entire homedirectory.

sure you can use third party programs to sandbox/restrict like selinux or I believe chroot jails, but that is completely unrelated to wine as the issue with windows applications accessing your home directory is exactly the same as linux-native programs accessing your directories.

wine on its own does nothing at all to restrict what programs can do
wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#How_good_is_Wine_at_sandboxing_Windows_apps.3F

yeah that has nothing to do with wine, that is generic containers and you would have to do the same for any linux application you wish to restrict.

>Viruses in Wine can't do fucking shit

lol

you have been backpedalling pretty hard
or been disingenuous about using security features like containerization or virtual machines

I love how Sup Forums talks about wine and the first thing they think of is MAH MALWARE.

Says a fucking whole lot about fucking Windows, doesn't it?

Face it, you need to remove yourself from that poisonous, cancerous OS and all of its garbageware, even if you think you need some of it.

Protip: You don't.

the same goes for linux binaries from untrusty sources
they can do just as much harm, maybe save for windows users tending to launch stuff with admin privileges

>this is your brain on linux koolaid

Something like zram developed by a community of developers is not going to contain malware.

Raheed Ahmeed's Windows Ram booster proprietary shitware will. FYI this is the only kind of trash you get on Windows.

>What the fuck do you retards do?
Have adobe flash installed

I know, I was referring to protection of filesystem when setting it up.

But again, you can still disable the permissions it has.
What user, surely you don't use the DEFAULT settings on things, right?

>back-pedalling
On what exactly?

Set Wine up properly, optionally use sandboxing.
There has been no change in anything.

You cherrypicked a sentence and, like ALWAYS on Sup Forums, never continued reading on to the end of it for THE BETTER SOLUTION.
That's a you problem.

Provide a link to any serious damage that wasn't the fault of the user being a retard.
I've lost count of retards running Wine under root having problems, and retards unable to do simple permissions, and countless other related things.

tl;dr Idiots will have problems with Malware, just like on Windows.
That is because idiots are too stupid to actually set things up properly because they are too lazy and just want things to work instantly.
(basically every case I have seen is Ubuntu, babbies first Linux, go fucking figure)

THIS but instead it's musicbee for me. I hate the UI of most Linux music players. It seems I either get a good UI or lose features.

Clementine is awesome but lacks some love in the UI. Tomahawk is the opposite.

Really, I just like the iTunes style cover view. If I could get that in linux I'd probably switch.

Lollypop is cool but still pretty basic.

>wine has permissions to do everything your user running the application has permissions to do, this includes your entire homedirectory.
Not if you use MAC

Who the fuck runs binaries from untrusted sources? GNU doesn't work like Winshit where you go out and randomly download some infected EXE from a shit site that even if it's "trustworthy" and big and professional probably carries shitware and malware.

Learn2GNU, kids. It's a completely different world than your Winshit.

you completely excluded talking about anything but wine as if wine inherently has these features
it does not

and you have been backpedalling introducing more and more restrictions you never talked about before

wine is not secure, so your whole premise about wine being unable to cause malware is false

You people are both missing the point.

The question is not what malware *could* do, and it never has been. The question is always this: what *will* malware do? The malware is written for native windows. Will the things it's trying to do even make sense on WINE?

I will go ahead and claim that anything trying to e.g. install itself as a rootkit will simply fail to work under WINE, because the underlying architecture is so alien from native windows.

I mean heck, even stuff like modern copy protection (which is a much weaker form of malware/rootkit than what an actual virus would try) fails to work properly under WINE in most cases, simply because the things it's trying to do are unimplemented.

If you download a naive cryptolocker.exe from the internet and run it under wine, what would it end up doing? Somebody try this in a VM please

95% of Sup Forumstards run Arch, which didn't even sign packages until a few years ago. There's nothing inherently more secure about unpacking and making a tarball next to executing a binary.

that is not a restriction wine itself makes but yeah
wine would have permissions from the dac to do whatever your user does, but would be denied after that by the mac

>If you download a naive cryptolocker.exe from the internet and run it under wine, what would it end up doing? Somebody try this in a VM please
probably encrypt the directories it has access to, then fail to do the boot stuff
malware that just deletes random files would likely work just as well under wine as windows

This user knows his shit guise, I heard his work at Starbucks the other day. Some of the freshest Twink-Core to come out of Hipsterville in ages.

Many people run in root and disable a lot of security in Linux.
I shit you not.

No, I did not. That is what PARAGRAPHS do. They separate distinctly different themes, ideas and anything else.

Sandboxing was separate.
Containers was separate
The permissions directly mentioned Wine, despite being in a different paragraph. That's called a link.

Again, learn to read. Holy ballfuck.

This is what I have been trying to get to him.
The majority of malware for Windows simply will not work. It relies on very specific Windows calls, CHAINS of Windows calls, that Wine simply doesn't understand. (which is why there are large amounts of programs that do not work)

The only things that will realistically work are simple programs that Just Run and don't do anything advanced. (oldschool viruses that don't even bother to hide, that sort of shit)
Simple IRC-run bots, scanners, etc.
Easy to terminate with -k. Even easier to spot by looking at the processes.

Besides that, they can't even realistically traverse file structures properly unless they are Wine-aware (which can easily be detected with around 15 lines and act appropriately )
Shit can't even make calls out of specific directories, and more directories if you set it up with the default settings like an idiot and give it full home access.
In practice, there has barely been anything Wine-aware of any significance.
There hasn't even been Sandboxie-aware code of worth for Windows and it is used regularly.
It is more hassle than it is worth. Nobody cares to do it.

>malware that just deletes random files would likely work just as well under wine as windows
But isn't it just gonna delete stuff under ~/.wine/drive_c?

Matthew Moore?

I'd rather drink gasoline.

Feel ya dude. Literally can't do anything besides chords on musescore

I dont use linux but there is an Animate CC clone or a way to run it on wine?

Gave up on arguing that wine was a sandbox and decided to sperg out inanely I see.

Majority of them, yes. Trivial to fix.

A few of them that scans for any and every drive that exists? They might be able to discover files outside.
Easy to disable with permissions.

Again, a non-issue blown up in to fuck because someone thought it'd be a great idea to use Wine vanilla without changes.
The only reason it is kept like this is for debuggings sake if shit doesn't work, but there are far better ways to deal with that issue. (especially if you built it for a container or other sandbox in mind)

It is even the same in Sandboxie on Windows.
By default, it will scan the virtual My Documents and offer you to copy those files out to your real directory on close.
As well as other directories, like browser settings. (which could include malware add-ons or plugins)

In both cases, these features are intended to be used by people that actually have a brain and know how to properly set things up to their needs.
I've been of the opinion that Wine should enforce a stricter R/W policy by default, but hey, nope.
The amount of problems on Ubuntu problems is hilarious. (especially those ones running root for fuck knows what reason, STOP PLS)

I never said Wine was a sandbox, you mong.
You learn to read too. It's called paragraphs, they split up themes of a passage.

Sandboxing was another thing you could do to protect on top of setting proper permissions up.

See >also
>not sandboxing all your programs by default
I had thought that "also" would not be needed.
I added it JUST IN CASE some retard came in, unable to read, shouting "WINE IS NOT A SANDBOOOOX DURR".
Seems the "also" was not enough. I got 2 autists for the price of 1.

Nice argument btw, I give you 10 meme points out of 10.

>office
Literally no need

Try Banshee, this comes from someone who's been using MusicBee for years

Winblows fag detected

>f..follow the faq baka.. oh wait...
>sperging intensifies

>Majority of them, yes. Trivial to fix.
I don't care about anything wiping my home dir; that would be utterly trivial to fix

What I'm more worried about is stuff like rootkits or malware that stealthily installs itself into my Linux system, but that seems to be pretty much an impossibility with typical Windows-only malware, even if run on stock WINE, right?

Also, I am a stock WINE config user, not sure what I should change to make it a bit more secure. I don't really want to deal with WINE configuration because it's a gigantic mess (everything related to windows seems to be) of registry entries, obsure ini files, GUIs and other garbage.

(I would be comfortable making configuration changes to a simple dotfile in ~/.config or something)

>follow the FAQ
>he reads one line and ignores everything else

>told to set it up properly when building it, preferably with sandboxing
>doesn't.

>RETARD WHY U PEDLIN

Any advanced Windows malware will basically do fuck-all with Wine since it depends on deep innards of Windows to actually exist.
These don't exist in Wine or Linux.

The only things that will cause problems are stupid shitty malware that are easy to defeat with proper permissions setup, or spot by monitoring the process list.
Just google "securing Wine" and you'll find it. You might need to do a complete reinstall. (just make sure you backup any files!)
There are a few things you can do, even including running it all under a completely different user if you wanted to if you want to be lazy about it. (random file deletions in THAT directory would still be possible, though)

The biggest issue you could have with Wine is if you were stupid enough to run a Windows web browser under Wine.
Why the shit you would do that, I have no idea.

As always with any container, any sandbox, any virtualization or similar tech, if it has its own virtual filesystem, keep backups regularly.
Shit can and does hit the fan even with the best of people.
Keeping a backup right next to it makes it easy to just re-image if you fuck things up. (or want to get around trialware)

I keep backups of everything with a 15 minute frequency, that wouldn't be the problem; the only problem is stuff I *can't* detect.