Well... fell off a cliff today and my phone took a nasty hit...

well... fell off a cliff today and my phone took a nasty hit. now its saying its overheating and I cant do anything with it. I dont really care about the phone I have a replacement plan but im worried about losing all my photos. theres a lot of memories on this phone that i dont want to lose. anyone know what i can do? I know I should have been backing it up all this time but thats a lesson I learned
s6 if that matters

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung Galaxy S6 Teardown/39174
smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/myth-debunked-uncooked-rice-isnt-best-way-save-your-water-damaged-phone-0154799/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stop using meme phone and start using Google Photos to backup your memories to the cloud.

I absolutely hate the s6 but Im on a contract. Fucked up with backing it up but yea. Lifes a bitch Im just trying to lessen the impact

PLUG IT IN TO YOUR COMPUTER, DRAG AND DROP. EASY
IDK WHY THIS IS IN CAPS

Dad get off Sup Forums and go back to bed.

no :^)

should still be able to get it to connect to your PC

My iPhone 6S does not have this problem.

you just need to have the phone unlocked when you plug it in and press confirm/accept/yes w/e for sharing with the computer then quickly turn the screen off

your phone also didn't take a plunge off of a cliff

unfortuntely not. wont connect to pc. and of course samsung decided not to put an sd card in it and i shot myself in the foot.
yea most phones would shit out from the fall i took today 20ft slide and 15th airborne. miracle neither of us werent hurt more haha
landed in a creek and im pretty sure its water damage. got it sitting in rice and im hoping tomorrow itll work again

If you dont care about the phone.
I would carefully disassemble the phone and remove all unnecessary components.
Point a fan at your skeleton phone and attempt to get it going.
If its still having heating problems I would try replacing battery and/or charge port with a chink part.
This won't be worthwhile to everyone though.

Good luck OP

Also
ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung Galaxy S6 Teardown/39174

>Can't connect to PC for media transfer because of overheating prompt/Auto shutdown
Are you able to enter download mode? To find out: press 'pwr, vol - & home' for 10 seconds.

If so, then you could just root the phone and load a custom recovery. Then use the recovery media explorer to extract your photos etc.

If you need a comprehensive tutorial on how to root and load a custom recovery, there are about 10,000 on Xda Developers & YouTube. Just be sure to download the latest ODIN, and a root/recovery that is compatible with your variant of s6.

Otherwise you should go to a Samsung store and see what recovery options they offer.

Yeah your phone would just overheat and melt itself without warning. Apple is really good about letting phones die without warning.

In the meantime avoid charging it and keeping it in your pocket, your battery is likely causing it to read temperature warnings. Have you tried cooling it? I.e. an hour in a cool place?

Fucking hell, watch yourself man..

Why do so many people believe in rice?
Its a fucking buzzfeed its not scientific at all. If it got wet the longer you leave it the more fucked it will be.

Is WiFi working on the phone? I'd recommend downloading Air Droid. Install it on your phone and then wirelessly transfer photos to your PC/laptop.

thanks. me and my coworker are fine. we got pretty lucky but im gonna be sore tomorrow.
its temperature is perfectly normal in fact quite cool.
my only concern is that I have a replacement plan and it is currently covered but im scared if i tear it down they wont cover me. gonna go in to telus tomorrow and see what my options are. i miss my s3 it was so easy to tear down and replace broken parts
thanks! gonna wait a day and see if the phone gets better but currently i cant charge it and cant connect to my phone
Not sure my man the more people who say it works the more itll spread. It wasnt in the water long only a few seconds while I regained composure but everywhere online said that could be what triggered my temp sensor although im fairly sure it was the shock. I dont know a whole lot about phones. I deal with vehicle electronics and computers.
only turns on for a few minutes wont hold a charge and only lets me make phone calls and check contacts

Talking from experience I've saved my phone twice this way.

If I had to guess I would say the battery was damaged from the impact and is shorting out. That would explain inability to charge and the temperature rapidly rising when you turn it on.

Take out the battery. Spin it on a flat surface. Does it wobble or does it spin smoothly? If the former, you damaged it and it's starting to swell.

If you leave something wet to sit, the water will dry via evaporation. The rice is just a placebo.

Cheers to all those that helped gonna try some of the suggestions tomorrow
makes sense actually although since putting it in rice cant hurt it ill do it overnight

It can if that shit gets in your ports.

Remove the SD card and put all your photos on your PC until you get a new phone.

It works.
The extra surface area increases the evaporation rate when temperature changes cause humidity to increase.

It has nothing to do with the rice absorbing the water.

Proof other than some armchair physicist's explanation? Empirical evidence perhaps? All the tests I've seen show rice as a very poor drying agent. Here's one:

smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/myth-debunked-uncooked-rice-isnt-best-way-save-your-water-damaged-phone-0154799/

Its a flawed experiment, the water won't evaporate if you seal the container.

>muh phone memories
when will this meme end

>fell off a cliff today
Are you ghostposting? Spooky.

Install the Samsung Phone USB drivers and use MTP or whatever else works. It should do the job.

Otherwise, get WinRAR or whatever, zip your images folder, get ShareViaHTTP from f-droid, and upload it to your PC wirelessly. Put the phone in front of a ventilator or something during the whole thing. It will take you an hour or so at best.

Alternately, try to resolve the problem, i.e. the battery is probably damaged, or the sensors are damaged, or the filesystem is corrupted (say if it rebooted when it hit the ground or whatever). You can maybe try flashing TWRP and transferring your files to an sd-card from there. It's nowhere near as taxing as the regular system.

Yes goy.. use the cloud. Only $49.95 a year for us have to "manage" your data

>not just having an iPhone 6s with iCloud backup

fucking idiot what board are you from.

> wont connect to pc
If it connects to wi-fi, you can use FTPExplorer.

>phone breaks
>loses his memory

>fell off a cliff today and my phone took a nasty hit. now its saying its overheating and I cant do anything with it.
Careful not to get 8urned. :::;D

>fell off a cliff today and my phone took a nasty hit.
Wow

Luckily it broke his fall.

this happened to my iphone a couple of times this winter. couldn't even hold the phone since the metal easily got too cold. good think i wasn't stuck in the middle of nowhere.
thinking of getting an s7 edge this friday but im not sure.

user how did you fall of this cliff? And where?! Seems fucking crazy.

>DO NOT POWER OFF
i wonder what that button does

Lel op confirmed retard

if it's water damage, let it sit for a while, don't charge it for a few days but leave it off

then (to prevent it from overheating, assuming the error msg is true), wrap it in paper towels, put an ice pack over it and attempt to transfer your files before junking your phone.

if you were smart you set up google photos backup.

>if you were smart you would have given all your personal photos to google

>implying using an android phone with any form of google integration doesn't already give all of your information to google

don't be silly

why would i do that to my phone?
gapps-free master race

>no google apps whatsoever

absolutely haram

i hope you aren't using chrome, don't have a gmail, and never use google

much less use their dns

hm?

of course not, why would i avoid some and not the rest, what'd be the point?

my man

It stops the phone from powering off, but if you look at the background notification it is saying that it won't let you run any applications in the overheating mode so unless pressing the button also dismisses that, you still won't be able to do shit with the phone.

does it prevent backing things up over ADB?

move all files through wifi to a samba share on your other PC?
Is that so fucking hard you retarded negroid?

Not your personal IT support. Get the fuck out

also
>what is otg
>what is bluetooth

Maybe.
If you don't have ADB enabled then you might not be able to turn it on.

First you would want to check if you can still just access it via plugging into a PC. Then probably see if Kies would work. Then ADB.