What is the best power delivery system any why is it AS/NZS 3112?

What is the best power delivery system any why is it AS/NZS 3112?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1
wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It baffles me that the majority of countries don't have individual power switches for sockets.

Australia #1

inb4 triggered bongs who somehow think you need a fuse in your plug

I personally fuse three fuses in a row for that extra security whenever I get a new device.

What is the point? I don't know about you, but I generally have power switches in my appliances. Having additional ones in the plugs is just pointless redundancy.

Perfect.
>Ground first
>Sturdy as fuck
>Form factor makes it impossible to bend the pins
Strong, clean voltage at low amps.

/thread

Everything else is flimsy and makes me nervous.

only problem is it's big as shit. Only one per panel. And what about Power strips?

The only problem?! The two pin design is awful! Doesn't sit still in the socket, sparks and is just generally not much fun to use.

These are the best

These suck but aren't as bad as the American ones - when i bend prongs on American ones i need to buy a new adapter - with Australian ones i can just bend it back and works fine

It's LARGE, SOLID and manly.

>two pin
It's four connections.
Two ground that also acts as a clip so it's firm, minus and plus.

>Putting it the wrong way and swapping live/neutral

fucking dropped

Do you know what AC means?

If you want large solid and manly then the British system should be up your street, it's huge!

Not knowing what is the hot wire inside your electronics because of a shitty standard.

Retard detected

Were you born without a brain?

/thread

He is right though, at least for US standards. Unless you're using three wire three phase, the neutral wire is tied to ground.
Reversing the plug on something can mean that a wire break will electrify the case instead of having the case grounded, or that everything nominally downstream of a switch is live.
Take a toaster, if you plug it in correctly the switch is on the line side and the coils connect over from it to the neutral, you can grab them and a grounded wire and be safe. if you reverse it, the coils are at the AC potential and will shock you.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

Looks like something from a Fisher Price catalog.

Your metaphors have no power in the third world.

over-engineered

I prefer AS/NZS 3112 too. But that's probably because I'm Australian.

If I ever own my own home, I hope to have a shed with some three phase badboys.

The problem is that most appliances will still drain power even if they're supposedly off, having a physical power switch fixes that

It would be better to have a physical power switch in the appliance itself, but the world ain't perfect

This is objectively the best home plug design.

Since the IEC variant is not widely deployed even in South Africa, it should be either the Brazilian or the Swiss variant, they're very close anyhow.

you needed over 3000 versions to get it right?

it's the best combo of safety and minimalism, but Shitko fans will rabidly decry polarization being too confusing for them to deal with.

>every number is a version number guiz!!

What kind of shitty appliances does your country make that don't have hard power switches, besides computer and AV stuff?

Literally the only thing I could think of these things being useful for is cell phone charger wall warts by a kitchen counter or something.

I'm pretty sure your outlet switches probably started with emasculated consumers afraid to pull a plug out before they knew the socket wasn't live.

Why cant there be just one standard plug?

I mean, non regulated power bricks work everywhere, so it's not output or voltage or whatever.

>Why cant there be just one standard plug?
Because we'd have to decide on one standard. And obviously, we should use MY standard.

If a schuko (round type) feels flimsy to you then you've never held one

this

>Unless you're using three wire three phase, the neutral wire is tied to ground.
Fun fact: Schuko was designed when three-phase power was the norm

>What kind of shitty appliances does your country make that don't have hard power switches, besides computer and AV stuff?
Computer and AV stuff. Many kitchen appliances (radios, coffee machines, etc.)

For example my microwave does not have a physical power switch that I can easily access, and even when “off” it wastes some amount of power on illuminating a useless 7-segment clock

different voltage in different places

I'm not sure about American standards, but in Australia all earths and negatives are connected and looped at the board as well. The board will trip as soon as any unbalance is detected but if you managed to somehow plug something in like that.

Too fucking big.

One of the things I really like about Schuko that no other plug seems to provide is the exposed earth. No easier way to earth yourself than to simply touch the earth pins on the nearest schuko outlet, and it allows for stuff like anti-static wristbands to just fit into a schuko socket but without the contacts that go into the socket itself.

>tfw studying in a country that uses more than one standard for common things

Just fuck my shit up fampai

>the neutral wire is tied to ground.
>Reversing the plug on something can mean that a wire break will electrify the case instead of having the case grounded
Holy fucking shit that's retarded. The European standard is to have to live wires and a separate ground. The British/Irish standard is to have a separate live, neutral and ground. I had no idea the American system was this unsafe.

Yes, it is. And it is not like it reduces safety vs. other plug/socket combos either. Neither is it less robust (vs. other household plugs). It's just a very good design.

To be fair, apart from being unnecessarily clunky as fuck and a bunch of not so huge deficiencies, Schuko is still one of the "better" designed plugs in the world.

These need to be combined. I like the earth pin opening the live and neutral connectors but I like that the schuko is recessed. It would be the ultimate idiot proof socket.

They may be separate in the mech but go check the board and check your earth bar and negative link, no doubt they will be joined at some point.

Because even the EU was too lame to decide on en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1 - it apparently was some work to switch, so it couldn't be done.

But that one would be the current best and most obvious candidate for a standard.

Yea, that leaves actually just two standards if North America and Japan and friends wouldn't switch. IEC_60906-2 would be the second one.

Earth and neutral are completely separate. The earth for the house is shared but if any current is detected on that the fuse goes.

Slightly unrelated question, but figure you guys here might know:

Why is it that cables are rated in "Amps" (e.g. 10 Amp battery cable)? I would've thought all cable would be rated in Ohms (resistance) as the input voltage might change, causing more power to run through the cable?

For example:
12V (DC) * 10A = 120W.
24V (DC) * 10A = 240W.

Wouldn't this mean that the amperage a cable is capable of carrying is dependent upon the voltage running through the cable - as a higher voltage would consume more energy, thus generating more heat?

You know I'm actually struggling to name something in my house that doesn't have a physical off switch bar my computer's power supply. Everything else goes into like a sleep mode and is probably spying on me unless I turn it off at the wall.

Resistance increases with length, there's no way to guarantee someone runs a cable a certain length.

Anymore voltage that runs through the cable than 10A, 20A what ever the cable is rated for can happen but the protective device will trip instantly.

No, the UK plug just needs to be obsoleted.

It's not idiot proof. It's proof that idiots decided they wouldn't modernize to a far more efficient plug design. With like, round pins and a better, more present-time adapted plug design in general.

I didn't think amperage was the metric for power consumed (watts is), so I thought it would've made more sense to define a cable's capacity in Watts or Ohms/Meter as I could have huge voltages with very little amperage passing through the cable, no?

Maybe I've misunderstood something?

No, every number is a set of rules unique to certain tasks. For instance AS/NZS 3000:2007 is the wiring rulebook for all electricians in Australia and New Zealand. The 2007 number refers to the year it was published/amended.

Then there's AS3008.1.1:2009 Electrical Installations -Selection of cables, AS3760 In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment, and AS3017 Electrical installation - Testing and inspection guidelines, just to name a few more.

Why the fuck is Sup Forums so autistic about fucking wall outlets?

Ausfag electrician here. The neutral and earth are connected in the switchboard via a Main Earth Neutral link (MEN). This is failsafe in the event that excess current flows down the neutral wire, in which case it will just end up being grounded.

The only way an active (live) wire would be crossed overr with a neutral is if the electrician is incompetent, and if they did do that, it would just end up blowing the pole-fuse on the energy supplier's side.

Own pole master race. Never share a pole.

wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

power consumed isn't the same as power transmitted. Just because the device you're powering is consuming x watts doesn't mean your cable is.

>Shitty country specific plugs
>Not IEC 60320-1 standard

>tfw own a few chink power strips that take just about everything

USB Type C for anything under 100W
USB

Literally one of the sockets in my apartment has the ground pin, and that's for the air conditioner.

Four sockets have a grounding pole that you can screw a ground wire onto, but they are all in shitty places, like the kitchen, laundry and toilet.

objectively the best
t. electrical engineer

> EE advocating unpolarized outlets

what kind of 3rd rate diploma mill let you through, big guy?

What is AC
hint: polarization doesnt matter

>this old poorfag haven't got his own power plant
geez

on one hand it's funny, on the other i pity him

The US system grounds one side to prevent a DC bias forming. Without AC lines being directly ground referenced they can float at any potential voltage above ground potential, meaning that instead of a fairly small AC shock there could be a fairly massive DC bias above ground, plus grounding one side means that even the neutral in a powered circuit won't shock you unless you're also hitting the hot. There are a few other reasons, but it mostly just done for a few reasons of safety relating to shock when dealing with lines vs the plugs like other countries.

>hint: polarization doesnt matter

Provided the neutral line is tied to local earth voltage, it's always a reasonable extra measure of safety to use if available.

Yuropoor systems are inherently unpolarized because some weimar-republic era dumbshits decided to use center tapped split phase for mains voltage, which forced more safety measures to be pushed downstream to the designs of sockets and appliances. Mandatory double pole switches for everything, janky bayonett connector light bulb sockets, etc.

Type B outlets are pretty shitty mechanically and from a safety standpoint (though only 120V), but it's a better design philosophy to support polarized plugs when required and allow two prong unpolarized in the cases where it's not.

that would be the king of all outlet types if not for the fact that you can guarantee kids would lodge shit in the outlet groove and that normies would complain about the appearance.

> pic related

You in japan or a really old us home?

Because Australian Standards allow for an ELV socket (12-24V) which you are allowed to install without an electrician's licence (so long as a distance is kept from mains wiring).
It's brilliantly convenient if you have to do a temporary or remote setup.

No stupid rectangular pin design shall ever be king.

And this is again clunky. And just generally worse than