What's a sysadmin job like?

What's a sysadmin job like?

Without macs

Not true.

BYOD does not count.

It looks like fun, I want to be one someday.

How difficult is it to become a sysadmin? I am unemployed for several months after finishing my business and finance degree. I don't want to flip burgers, I rather enroll into a certification program. How many years will it take me?

Only experience and/or connections till take you there.

>this coming from an unemployed CS major w/ minor in math.

Use your finance and business degree combined with interest in Sup Forums for high frequency trading.

Anything else is a waste of your degree.

Pretty chill.

I manage around 400 users and 90 Windows Servers including an online store in a manufacturing plant.

My users are pretty self sufficient, I got my own office and I get to play with new technology on a regular basis.

They didn't go indepth with finance and trading at this stage. For that I need MBA which requires at least 3 years of experience to even apply.

wait you need experience on a subject to be able to learn a subject to be able to work?

has the world gone fucking mad again?

im reminded of the fucking aliens (vorgons?) from hitchikers guide that require paper work for everything. just kill me.

Can a cis degree and certs get you to sysadmin?

Server or office admin?
Without certs or experience you can start with junior office admin position, toner flipping and pressing "any" key whenever dumb secretary can't find one on the keyboard. Shit job but when stuff works you can freely shitpost and watch anime and when shit doesn't you acquire experience to help you get an actually fun job.

Very unfulfilling.

Most interactions with other human beings happens when shit's going down or something breaks, and they are angry and expect a solution within the minute. You never 'create' something like a product you can show off, and if you actually create something, it's something that works in the background, invisible, most people don't even realise you did anything.

Did it for about 3 years, never again. But then again, I guess it depends on the company and other factors.

The dream

Check your privilege.

Apparently you set the rules. Not even higher ups want to fuck with you.

>be me
>get hired as a desk jockey in a small office of 5 people
>discover that no one else can even change their typing language (foreigner)
>our main office has an IT director who set it all up and provided assistance remotely after that
>start fixing random problems (most of them by googling the fix)
>"user we're giving you a promotion"
>I graduated filmschool and have no IT knowledge apart from wasting my childhood with videogames and getting good at following tutorials because of pirating shit
>worried as fuck that I'll be discovered as incompetent for the job
>start interacting with the IT director more
>at some point it gets painfully obvious that I know jack shit
>I confess that I'm just using google to fix shit
>"dont worry user, I was the same way 10 years ago, I learned it all on the job, no worries"

Livin he life here. Although I'd appreciate if someone recommends me a beginner reading

Just checked. It's still there. Thanks for asking.

O'Reilly regularly gives out free books every other week, usually 40-50 pages long, about interesting and useful things like Linux for beginner sysadmins or people who come from Windows shops.

Check out their website, and when you download that week's book, by giving them an email you'll be automatically subscribed to a weekly newsletter, and this is where the really useful stuff is - plenty of articles and books on discount about sysadmin stuff, buddy

Thanks mate, having chunks of info on a weekly basis sounds like the best thing for me. Your use of 'buddy' makes me worried as thats what the man in the main office often uses lol

It's literally just checking tickets and taking them as they go for me.

To become an admin, work on your MTA/MCSA/MCSE and/or work your way up the IT support ladder (or ask for a junior sysadmin position).

Developer doing inefficient Sysadmin duty spotted.
Clearly you didn't like it

Literally given an internship to be a sysadmin and had virtually no relevant qualifications since I was a CE.

Yea, internships might be a bit different. But I also have never seen a sys admin internship before. Sounds like you got lucky, I didn't do internships because no one told me it's a borderline necessity in this industry.

My friend who flunked out of college and barely graduated high school became a sysadmin for a furniture store and worked his way up. He's antisocial as fuck.

Stop memeing about "connections", the only thing you need is a good poker face and motivation to learn.

Installing the latest version of Adobe Reader

>the only thing you need is a good poker face and motivation to learn
shit most of the fag/g/ots here will never have. That explains why there are a lot of these threads lately.