Beginner linux distro

ok Sup Forums im ready to embrace linux. what's the best one for a beginner. by that i mean i don't want osx: linux version. i want something that will brutally ass fuck me till my asshole is bleeding and i can't walk straight anymore but at the same time i want to be able to look things up if i royally fuck up. what do you recommend?
>inb4 gentoo

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051
linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/sarah/cinnamon.png
twitter.com/AnonBabble

slack/lfs

Linux Mint is excellent for beginners

Fuck these bitches! Fedora or Ubuntu.

No need to thank me

kubuntu, lubuntu or xubuntu depending on what you like

Debian. It's a nice mix between gentoo and Ubuntu. Won't take you years to configure but it also won't hold your hand.

>asks for a brutal assfucking
>offers babby's first distro

Arch really is the only thing that comes close to what you want. I thought the arch wiki being good was a meme but it's really not. All the questions/little issues i had with Arch were easily solvable with one search.

do you mean slackware? i read about it and people say its not very well supported from the available programs side. is this true? also lfs is linux from scratch right? does that mean i just compile the source code or something? or do i just choose parts of it to be installed?
i think i ran mint for a bit in a vm once. it was kind of nice but i didn't find myself needing things like the terminal much. my main reason for wanting to learn linux is im working on cs (second year of c++ so far) and the more i look into it the more i realize that linux is better for developing. (at least from my understanding). will i actually need to use linux when im in a cs job? or is it just going to be the same as im doing right now where i just use visual studio?

btw this installation is for a low power laptop and i im considering buying a second hard drive so i can dual boot on my main pc along side windows

>i want something that will brutally ass fuck me till my asshole is bleeding and i can't walk straight anymore
LFS will do this for you

he's a beginner who needs his hand held when something goes wrong. he's not going to have fun with gentoo or arch or whatever you retards recommend

i may not know much about linux but i know those aren't brutal ass fucking i tried ubuntu once and it wasn't exactly that much different form windows. my reason for this is to learn the terminal and the more complicated parts of an os
what this guy said
i think i had that in a vm once as well. kind of booted into a straight up command line and i was lost on how to install it with a de. if i can figure it out i would probably actually use arch

Arch would probably be your best bet OP. If you want I can provide the tutorial that I used for starting my installation.

i still dont understand what lfs exactly means an explanation would be nice. from what i can understand from google i basically just install linux from source?
i actually would rather not be handheld. this is gonna be on a laptop purely for training and i always believed in diving straight into something and learning as you go along but having documentation to learn things instead of spending hours fucking around to fix something is nice.
yeah i think i might try arch for a while. i looked some stuff up on google and apparently there's many different de's but the main ones are kde and gnome? from what i understand gnome is more osx looking and kde is more similar to what windows looks like. how does installing something like a de work with arch?

Slack has you install packages from source, that doesn't imply compiling though there are binaries. There's also slapt-get to resolve dependencies. So the packages are based on your resourcefulness. Linux From Scratch is building your own distro.

If you read the installation guide on the wiki this is your best bet. 99% of all breakages are end-user error. I say this as someone who has run it across 3 machines for 4 years. X.Org never broke, and the packages are signed and secure. Don't enable testing repos and you're golden. Just don't fall into the trap of ricing.

>Arch
So you don't think that op can read? That's all it takes to install Arch. Fucked up the install? Reboot the livecd and chroot to resolve the problem.

Debian is sufficiently challenging for a beginner
then gentoo

LFS is Linux from scratch. And yes you basically compile everything from source and build your own distro from the ground up.

some distros come prepackaged with a de, otherwise you'll have to install it in terminal

there's more than kde and gnome. if you want something more lightweight look into lxde, xfce

Installing the DEs are pretty simple. Run sudo pacman -S gnome/plasma/whatever and check the Arch wiki to see what you need to do to get it running.
Installed xfce about 30 minutes ago and it worked without any tinkering.

I prefer GNOME but generally talking about WMs and DEs and whatnot will lead to a shitstorm.

Installing a de is just entering the package group
>sudo pacman -S 'name of de'

If you prefer a more classic interface

Kde is for people who love widgets
Cinnamon is for people who love win7
Xfce is for people who miss xp
Lxde is the lowest resource of these

There are also window managers + status bars to consider

Awesome
I3
Xmonad
Dwm
Open Box

Name one thing you can do in Gentoo you can't with any other distro. Don't say compile your kernel for optimization. Don't say compile packages from source.

Ubuntu or Manjaro

>i want something that will brutally ass fuck me till my asshole is bleeding and i can't walk straight anymore
windows 10

CS degree??! Read an english textbook and use some autocorrect ye faggot

thanks. what do you think is more difficult in terms of making you actually learn. slackware or arch?
i genuinely thought gentoo is just a meme. do people actually use it?
ah i see. i thought it would be something you needed to install during the os installation. so i just get the package and i install like any other program?
i thought those were for easing into it/the easy version of linux
thats what im running on the main pc. mainly because i got a version of it from a friend and i didn't wanna give like 70 buckaroos to microsoft. i dont have that many issues with it so far. dealing with w10 is kind of like your drunked uncle that molested and raped you. you microsoft's dick forced into you ass so much it becomes normal.
yes senpai i care so much about my grammar and spelling on an anonymoose chinese cartoon image board

I think you have Linux confused with a dragon dildo, both of which are memes here. Enjoy your stay.

>so I just get the package and I install like any other program
Yeah pretty much.

Also, the first time I installed Arch I used this tutorial. Hopefully it helps you some. wikihow com/Install-Arch-Linux

dont worry senpai i would enjoy both doesnt matter which one i get :^)

I guess Slackware would be the more difficult of the two. It's more stone and chisel when it comes to package management. Package management is really the crux of any distro. Is this going to be a daily driver or a pet project?

People really do use Gentoo. It requires you to be cognizant of how your system works because like Arch most of its issues are user generated.

You do need to install the de and either a bootloader or add a line to the .xinitrc in your home folder to start the de before it's able to be used. Arch really isn't difficult you just need to follow directions, and there's plenty. There's almost a 90% chance someone else has had whatever problem your experiencing too so there's plenty of support.

If you want a nitty gritty linux experience though Gentoo is much more in depth.
Why aren't you referring him to the wiki?

I found the other tutorial to be easier. Figured if he ran into issues with the instructions on the wiki he could always have a fall back.

Install Kali linux it's the best distro for improving your coding skills.

Arch is shit man it barely works.

>Kali Linux
haxor detected

this gonna be more of a school main pc i guess. ill just try those 3 one by one and see what i end up with.
also doesnt matter about the arch wiki i installed it before but had fuck all of a clue on how to install the de but if its that simple idc
i remember that distro. isnt that that basically the "hackerman" distro? from what i understand its just a normal distro with a shit ton of programs pre installed that are available for every other distro anyway

>normal distro with a shit ton of programs preinstalled
yeah pretty much lol

It's not supposed to be le hackerman distro, just retarded kiddies who want to be l33t h4x0rz download it.

OSX

i once downloaded ot to see what it was about. many keks were had
no memes pls

The Arch wiki is a useful resource, but I'm not the biggest fan of their way.

Slack is dead simple for someone who took a UNIX course. All of the package management is really static and the dependencies are really clear and well organized. It only took me a workday to build SAGE with Octave support, but the build process gave me time to read selections of the source code, legacy linear algebra FORTRAN routines, BLAS iirc? Slackbuilds has everything necessary. Alienbob's Steam Build (I guess that Steam is fuckin full of 32 bit hacky optimized kludge and it can't handle native 64 bit addressing without shitting itself, crying on the floor, and asking for it's 32bit baps to suck on, so you need to install some special snowflake libraries) That shit works like a charm, though.

it's really not that funny. it's a quick and easy way to penetration test. if you have no use for that it's a bloated, useless distro.

but on that end it's a perfectly fine distro that gets a bad rep from kids

To figure out which is the best distro to your hardware you'll have to try each one. I would start with Debian, Ubuntu and Mint.

Oh, your want your arse bleeding... So OpenIndiana.

>i want something that will brutally ass fuck me till my asshole is bleeding and i can't walk straight anymore but at the same time i want to be able to look things up if i royally fuck up. what do you recommend?
gentoo/slack

>i would start with debian, debian-withfirmware, and debian-withfirmware

Arch
reason: it's epic

Hum... No. You get debian, then if it doesn't work you update the kernel.

Why am I not surprised an Archfaggot would have a name like "Jordan"?

haha ubuntu baby spotted

Actually Arch is a piece of trash.

Arch. shit will break for no reason at all and you will learn a lot attempting to fix it

I'm Sorry, I am just an Arch faggot who is mad.

Nice VM, poorfag

Slackware.

Get the slackware book, second edition too.

- Almost uses unmodified kernel.org kernel, so updating and building custom kernels will be easy.

- Package "manager" is dead simple to figure out (it's not really a manager).

- You can still do anything on Slackware you can do on another distro.

It's been around since the early 1990s, it's not very complex so start from there. Problem with Ubuntu and the like is they add a ton of distro specific kernel patches and other software they maintain which you will then have to learn seperately that will only work with that one distro.

Also, in addition to the Slack book get a generic Linux book from NoStarchPress (you can pirate these on libgen.io). There's 2 really good ones on there.

After you figure out slack, start up a virtual machine and load a rolling release distro to play around with in there but don't start with one.

So long, and thanks for all the documentation!

i kind of dont want to use arch because of you now

yeah like i said ill just go through slack/gentoo/arch and see from there thanks for the input tho

Pretty vain of you, desu.

>dumb kids insecure about using a beginner distro
Use Ubuntu, for fuck's sake. Don't listen to these dumb underage fucks. I use Arch but I sure as fuck wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't extremely comfortable using GNU.

>1GB recommended for a comfortable usage

Linux tards actually think that's enough for more than playing nethack

>blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3051

linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/sarah/cinnamon.png

Linux Mint users, the same type of users that link to offsite images on an image sharing forum.

i was not sexually abused as a child but i have a question for you.
i am from india and i enjoy my time on here, but when i go on on Sup Forums or Sup Forums i can not ever have a nice discussion because everyone sees my flag and only replies poo in loo to me.
how can i change my flag which porxy will work for this? please help me.

Debian.

Why don't you post on India's chan?

Since you really want to be able to look things up. Go with Arch. The Arch wiki is legendary.
If you just want to be assfucked though, go with Gentoo.

this place is nicer for me i feel. i like to talk with americans and europeans the most. and i like to talk news and politics. but its difficult with my flag. i will even use pakistan flag if must but not india.

smear some poo on your router, the fecal particles will cause an electronic infetterence and it will mask your ip. if you dont have to poo just go to the nearest designated shitting street

dont get me wrong senpai but jist saying "its epic" is kins of annoying and doesnt add anything. most people explained why that os would work with my case
b-but i actually enjoy doing things the hard way. its just more fun plus if i find it too hard i can always go with something easier. also
>ubuntu
tried it before and despised it but i can see whg people like it
as i said senpai i kind of want to be brutally ass raped by this and i tried mint before. wasn't very challenging
arent proxies banned here? i honestly wouldnt know i live in freedom land. my solution tho:
>poo in the loo
>become civilized
>come to freedom land
also have pride in your country jfc
kek

Hur fag tard linux arch tard linux

HUR DUR mad linux tard arch hur lol...

ok thank you i dont know. i love my country a lot but i can not take more poo in loo comments at me. i am going to go crazy.

ZOMG epic tard linux arch hur lol fag dur

>wasn't very challenging
Only a complete moron uses an OS BECAUSE it's hard to use. Why wouldn't you just use the easiest OS?

Right, because you're a fucking moron.

Ah.. Well it's an ass-raping you desire I would reccomend arch...

You know at the end of the day the most important thing a distro can do is make you productive. Easy to use is highly underrated.

it's okay pajeet you don't have to poo in the loo you have designated shitting streets.

i poo in the toilet like you and most of the world but whatever man.

this desu, if you wanted a way to learn about linux/computers you would pick up a book or manual on the topic, not waste your time finding obscure ways to break and fix your system

spoiler:linux is not challenging in any capacity because its made to be used by humans, you are operating under a false pretense if you think you are going to find a 'hard' distro, because hard just fucking means that you're going to paste more commands in from a longer wiki while you install and the end result is the exact same distro you could have got in ubuntu/etc just with a different package manager

and no, installing arch/gentoo does not teach you about linux, it teaches you how to install arch/gentoo

shit tier namefag but half true

a distro is good when it werks, not because it's extremely complex

a distro that forces you to learn terminal commands is useful too, esp if you plan on working in IT

Arch is very easy to use, it's why we use it.

That's good Pajeet, you are one of the good ones. Your streets are literally overflowing with shit and instead you've redirected your shit to your water supply.

arch even has the aur which is basically the easiest way out when trying to install obscure software

if i wanted the easiest os to use i would go with osx or windows you fuckwit. i already know how to use it the easy way i want to learn the hard way so i can be good at both
read above without the insult because youre not an utter cunt like that guy
i was more talking about the terminal i want a distro that encourages me to use it instead of taking the easy way out by using the gui
not gonna work in it but i do enjoy it but also this i want to learn terminal commands

Just mad whites getting frustrated that their race is being wiped out by interracial breeding while also having the lowest birthrates out of all races and having more hardworking foreigners taking all the jobs.

So they insult anyone none white as it helps them cope with their slow extinction.

>i was more talking about the terminal i want a distro that encourages me to use it instead of taking the easy way out by using the gui
Why, want to waste your time?

you have bigger problems than picking what distro to use if you cant refrain from using a gui tool every 2 seconds without 'encouragement' to use the terminal
install ubuntu and open a terminal, it is that fucking simple

DELETE THIS

Why do you feel like you need to learn how to do things the "hard" way? What scenario are you realistically ever going to have to use a terminal? You're not running a server or anything. For desktop use just pick whatever distro sounds most appealing to you.

they're not more hardworking, they just have zero standards and work for less than minimal wage

and white women aren't sleeping with the pajeets of the world

back to the loo with you

i wouldn't go that far but i once watched a thing where it was showing that there is a work ethic difference but it primarily is between whites and asian (as in the continent) where asians (who are born and raised there/by people born and raised there) would generally have a better work ethic. or something like that i can't remember really.
i like to be good at what i do and not just stick with the easy way because one day you won't be able to use the easy way. also command line is more flexible and powerful. oh and servers
out sourcing jobs is an actual problem though regardless of why poo in loos do it they are still doing it for less than you are so companies hire them.

>because one day you won't be able to use the easy way.
one day your flavor of the month distro will not be supported any more, too
Do yourself a favor and go with a REAL distribution like Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, or Red Hat.

These hobbyist distros are literal trash, and in all honesty they're all basically forks of Debian, SUSE, or Red Hat. Anything that isn't is either Slackware, Gentoo, or a fad.

Wow, a lot of these cunts don't seem to understand wanting to learning for learning's sake. I was just like you and I went with Arch. It's not really all that hard and it keeps you up to date if you really really want. My advice is to go Arch for it's wiki and resources. You can boot up other distros in a VM to play around until you find the best one for you. You may not stick with Arch in the end but you'll learn as you go.

>arch
problem is that you're not learning anything useful

i am honestly so done with you. you are such an annoying piece of shit. why do i wanna learn it? because its a thing i can learn and be good at. learning because learning for the sake of learning is fun you absolutely retarded air headed fuckwit. now can you please fuck off and do something productive in your life for once instead of shitposting and sucking cock all day.

you are literally wasting your time trying to 'learn' how to use a terminal this way you retard, every distro is the SAME THING under the hood and there isn't a single thing you can learn on arch etc that you can't learn anywhere else, your question is fucking stupid AND pointless and if you gave that much of a shit about learning you would just go use the terminal instead of making retarded threads

just go for ubuntu
GNOME is just a meme

Linux Mint Cinnamon /thread

The only way you can fuck up an Arch setup is to have hardware with poor driver support like a Chromebook with a weird processor or a vintage unheard-of Mac

literally fuck off im done arguing with you. why do i want to learn? because i want to. now for the love of everything that is holy contribute or go choke on a dick and die

not the same guy but

He's telling you there is no point in using a distro with no DE. You can learn the terminal shell while still using a a normal distro. It's as simple as pressing ctrl + alt + T or whatever, and using the terminal. There's no point in running the server version of a distro as your desktop OS. With that being said, if for some retarded reason it's too hard for you to just not use the gui, then install the server version of any distro and you'll be forced to use a CLI.

i never said i was using the server version. if you bothered to read the thread i asked multiple times how i can install a de with something such as arch.

i think you have a reading comprehension problem, maybe working in a text based terminal isnt for you after all

are you genuinely brain dead?
>He's telling you there is no point in using a distro with no DE
im not using a distro with no de
>You can learn the terminal shell while still using a a normal distro
literally what i am doing
>as pressing ctrl + alt + T or whatever, and using the terminal.
literally what i am doing
>There's no point in running the server version of a distro as your desktop OS.
i'm specifically not doing that
>With that being said, if for some retarded reason it's too hard for you to just not use the gui, then install the server version of any distro and you'll be forced to use a CLI.
close to what i want but i just wanted to know a distro (not server version) that encourages (not forces) the use of the terminal so that i become more familiar with it.
all fucking clear now?