What does Sup Forums think about fanless machines and the m series processors in general?

What does Sup Forums think about fanless machines and the m series processors in general?

The 6Y70 has a base clock rate of 0.9 GHz but still claims to be able to run programs like adobe photoshop or lightroom.

I bought the UX305CA

I would not trust a fanless computer no matter how low the clock speed.

Once you go fanless you never go back homie.

Why do you even mention the fucking clock speed on this day and age?
Do you even into technology?

I'd say clock speed is pretty important in regards to performance. Do you even into tech

This better be a troll

By your logic the performance of a pentium III at 900Mhz would be the same as the 6Y70 at 900Mhz.

>by my logic

No, I didn't suggest that the clock speed is the only factor in determining performance, your autistic brain pulled that out of nowhere.

Not him but what is it that makes the m3 processors so much more powerful? Is it the new architecture?

Inb4 tech noob
>i know

Base clock doesn't mean shit these days, you need to look at the turbo-boost clock.
Base clock is there so Intel could advertise their cpus at 4.5W SDP instead of the real 21W power consumption of these Core M chips.

you have to go back, though

implying fanless laptops are not the future?

Don't make me laugh

It's the same architecture as the desktop cores, no magic there.

It can sustain about 2 GHz for a second or two though, which might be enough to pretend performance's OK.

Good luck with those renders though.

The only high-end in these processors is the price. There are very good reasons Intel is failing hard at mobile.

OP here, just need something light because I do a lot of travelling for work and also a lot of image editing that might be needed on the fly. These processors should be fine to run Lightroom and Photoshop right? Or have I dun goofed here

jose, pls

Kind of. As long as you don't expect to do more than one photo at a time.

>either supporting trump or unknowingly marketing his campaign
>neckbeard that can't accept changes in tech

You are one hell of a guy

Usually when image processing you tend to edit photos individually. The only time this device might be slow is when exporting many photos at once after editing a batch

it's difficult to argue that fact that the future of portable devices is definitely fanless machines.

The mainstream demand sure is pushing muh portability.

As fanless CPU's become more advanced and powerful, it'll eventually negate the need for CPUs that run hot.

That's not to say that there won't be a niche market in very powerful processors that run hotter. But as more resources are put into cool computing this will eventually too be unnecessary.

bullshit

why?

I love fanless machines, but we're not completely there yet with core m. I also own the Asus UX305CA, it's a great laptop plagued with driver and heating issues which ultimately throttles the laptop. You can handle pretty much anything your typical i3-i5 laptop can handle as long as throttling doesn't kick in.

If you want a fanless laptop, the 12" MacBook will be the best way to go. Since it seems the most stable laptop with a Core M.

Also Kaby lake should fix many issues regarding video play back if you experience any slowdowns with the QHD+ screen with the Skylake Core M models.

i think the core m chips are awesome but they need to be in the $400-700 price bracket

i wish apple would release a $600-700-ish MacBook with a core m

The UX305CA is $650

did you install Linux on it? what's the support like on this machine?

The first gen 12" MacBook is around $850 new on Amazon and eBay. Expect the Skylake version to be around the same price when Kaby lake comes out.

Also
and you can get core m tablets for around that price range

I looked into it and decided not to waste my time because I've heard of trackpad issues and terrible battery life. All this may have been resolved, but I can tell you the first gen UX305 seems to have better support.

is linux lacking support in all m processors? or just this model

Most electronics and most computers (if you count smartphones) in the world are fanless.

Active cooling is the exception and pretty much only needed for gayman PCs.

I would assume a combination of both, but the Core M issue can be fixed by messing with CPU Scaling I heard.

except in the laptop market, where they've only just started.

shit tier laptop

Based on how macbooks overheat, I think they're extremely dangerous. And fanless laptops are usually unibody and/or with soldered components wich means that no maintenance can be performed.

I have a sony vaio that I bought used, it operated at 95°C/105°C. I opened it, dusted everything perfectly, replaced the thermal paste everywhere. Now it goes up to 55°C tops.

You can't do that with your shiny ultrasuprabook. When it starts to have problems, you have to throw it away and buy a new one.

Your argument is extremely flawed. The reason your laptop overheats is because the CPU has a higher wattage and your fan system isn't functioning adequately. A system that never requires fan cooling is never going to need this fix and therefore won't overheat.

Your example of macbooks overheating is from plebs using it resting on their blankets for hours watching movies.

>The reason your laptop overheats is because the CPU has a higher wattage and your fan system isn't functioning adequately
The reason, as explained, was dust build up and old thermal paste.

>Your example of macbooks overheating is from plebs using it resting on their blankets for hours watching movies.
Absolutely not. I'm talking about macbooks in relatively cool office environments, resting on wooden or glass surfaces, and used for classic office work for a few hours a day, not even anything intensive.

How do you not understand?

Here is this simple enough?

>laptop overheats because fan is blocked and thermal paste is old
>laptop without the need for such a cooling system therefore won't experience this problem

he's old bro forget it

>laptop overheats because fan is blocked and thermal paste is old
Yes, that's what I said.

>laptop without the need for such a cooling system therefore won't experience this problem
Sure they don't experience that specific problem as dust has nothing to do with it, obviously, but they still do overheat. Or are you suggesting every other macbook I come across is faulty?

Why won't you explain to me why fanless laptops overheat?

>Why won't you explain to me why fanless laptops overheat?

Because they don't, Macs are just rubbish.