Laptop for engineering and gaming

I'm looking to buy a laptop as I'll be working security for 12hours a night for a few night and also going to uni for masters in civil engineering. I was wandering anywhere decent to buy a good gaming laptop that I could get. Already have a gaming computer at home but I think a laptop would be convenient. Pic related are these specs decent?

>Civil engineering
Potato is enough for that
>Gaymen
kill yourself.

>gaming
wrong subreddit friendo xD

msi's are good and lots of configurations can be found. A long while ago, I used to hear SAGER was a good brand so maybe look for a used lappy from them?

>gaming
>laptop

just no

>gaming faggot
Go die. If you were serious about engineering you'd have a decent mobile workstation.

>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

You are clearly not an engineer, otherwise you would have been able to figure this out on your own and most importantly you wouldn't BE GAMING ON A LAPTOP

This right here. /thread

>help guys I need a super beast laptop for GAMING AND ENGINEERING
>ENGINEERING because MATLAB requires state-of-the-art hardware
>GAMING because I am a loser who would rather PLAY VIDEO GAMES than FUCK COLLEGE SLOOTS

Hyperventilating nerds need their loli and thinkpad threads but as soon as videogames come into play their little buttholes clenched up tighter than the lolis they jerk it to :P

I'd go for a 960 card, try to find an ssd if possible and make sure the ram speed is quick, 2666 seems to be good but it's not vital.

also the i-5 is just fine but of course if you can spring for the i-7 you'll be happy you did

>:P

Shut up you fucking gamer faggot.

I'm starting to think you just don't know enough about the technology that drives games to even give a proper answer. I guess I don't enjoy spending my time spouting memes and vomiting hate on people who don't follow the status quo to the T. Didn't realize this was Nazi Germany hahah

>Looking a laptop for engineering
Anything works faggot

Enjoy your overheating cheap laptop. Id go with an used thinkpad any time instead of buying a new cheap tier laptop. For gaming you will need a desktop pc. It is pain in the ass to play on a little screen

>who would rather PLAY VIDEO GAMES than FUCK COLLEGE SLOOTS
not him but i'd rather play video games

i don't want any kind of interaction with 3d whores and their STDs

Gamer faggot

>he only hangs out with shitty girls

Ok retard. Go pretend to be an engineer, now.

To be honest, I like my t420 and I use my desktop for games too but sheesh, just give the poor kid half an answer and send him on his way. Let him find out for himself why BF1 won't run properly on his lappy.

Besides I used to have a tech job and played Dota 2 on a laptop just fine. Turns out people who make laptops for games actually think of how to prevent problems like overheating

>he thinks identifying gpus, cpus, ram, and ssds is somehow difficult
>he wants to be an engineer

banta aside, a low end p50 with 3-4 year warranty, possibly used or corporate reseller certified

>pursuing sex
Your kind is deprecated.
Engineers before me never got laid anyway, why waste time failing?
If he is going into mechanical engineering, then he will need a fast gpu so it is less of a pain to work with models and physics simulation.

that wasn't op that was me, my posts are:

You're still retarded.

>then he will need a fast gpu so it is less of a pain to work with models and physics simulation.
No, you really don't. You need a fast CPU, preferably with many cores.

msi is the only answer

Obviously that would depend on the software, but it is very likely that he would need both.

>that pic: ditch the equipment, keep the qt

actually a p50s

What sort of software are you gonna be running that you need any kind of beefy computer? I did lots of matlab stuff and the i7 I have in mine is massive overkill

I'm an engineer, I travel on business a lot and sometimes play games in my hotel at night. Just cause you're a neet and can't think of a reason anyone would need a laptop for gaming doesn't mean there isn't one :^)

>Obviously that would depend on the software
It doesn't. Most likely he'll be using Autodesk software and the requirements are very low. A half decent Quadro will be fine. He needs a fast CPU since almost everything Autodesk is still single thread and that's where he'll see the most benefit. You want more cores for things like ray tracing and FEA.

Except you can game on a workstation laptop without compromising performance for your work related applications.

>'m an engineer, I travel on business a lot and sometimes play games in my hotel at night. Just cause you're a neet and can't think of a reason anyone would need a laptop for gaming doesn't mean there isn't one :^)

you are completely missing the point

in no way are you being an engineer AND a gamer relevant at all. If this question was actually predicated at all on you being an engineer you would already know what computer you need (a P50 or something similar).

The fact that you are trying to weave that into the conversation about a gayming laptop just demonstrates the types of mental gymnastics you are going through to justify your video game addiction and your purchase of a shitty gayming laptop (instead of the actual work machine that you should actually be buying)

>P50
>Chinknovo
kek

I have a PhD in civil engineering and own both a workstation AND a gaming laptop. So where is your argument now shit for brains?

having a phd is not impressive user, we all have phds here

the fact that you own a gayming laptop tells me everything I need to know about your intellectual capacities

Why own both?

one is for general purpose computing, the other is a turing machine specifically designed to pwn noobs

Weak bait.

name some computers with the majority of parts not made in china you imbecile

I game, but I second the anons saying you should just get a thinkpad. Adjust your expectations of what kind of games you can play. Play roguelikes or turn-based games or old games with minimal graphics. Counterstrike or anything Source engine will run on a potato. Use the savings from getting a dirt cheap laptop to build a dope gaming desktop.

Thinkpad P50.

It's about Lenovo being scum, not Chinese. Also making something in China is not the same thing as being designed and engineered in China.

Dell Precision or Thinkpad P50

engineering graphic card can be "hacked" to play fancy games,
or just play games with it without any twaeking, you should more than ok

dont listen user who offer gaming laptop (with gayming gpu), imagine wearing gaming headset for work at recording studio

>engineering graphic card can be "hacked" to play fancy games,
The fuck are you talking about?

they (workstation and consumer gpu) are basically almost having the same architecture except the tweaking and drivers.

No, retard. What hacking do you think needs to occur for a Quadro/FirePro to play games?