/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11184492
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.8.0/
youtube.com/watch?v=Vnoz5uBEWOA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install Gentoo

Stop memeing about Fedora, it's a fine distro.

This is Sup Forums so you are on team Arch or team Debian, anyone else is trolling. Good luck newfriend.

What's a good distro for an ARM Chromebook?

Debian Jessie

When will the >gnome 3 is bad [spoiler][/spoiler]meme end lads?

When Gnome 3 stops being so bad.

Wew lad.

It's not bad, per se. But Nautilus isn't my idea of a good package manager. It seems locked down for ui tweaks. There are good things about it but not enough for me to use it as a daily driver.

>Package
Meant file.

Is there a graphical fan controler?
Jesus, i just want to control my fans.

What are some noob things to do to set up/improve your system after a fresh linux install?

>set up/improve your system after a fresh linux install
Nothing at all. I use Ubuntu and it's great out of the box.

Replace it with Linux-libre.

I've been reading a lot about fonts and font rendering being a pretty common complaint, do you feel that's a non-ubuntu issue? Just installed Manjaro, btw.

Yes, non-Ubuntu fonts are garbage until tweaked.

Freetard pls go.

fuck off pajeet

Stallmanists will never win.

What do you want to do with it? What are you working with? Your question is open ended to the point of being too broad.

If Arch is meant to be simple, why doesn't is come with a simple installer?

>If Arch is meant to be simple
[Citation needed]

Because it's a troll distro. Install Debian.

this, they are tricking their users with buzzwords like "simple" and "lightweight", but it actually isn't, packages are bloated, kernel is bloated, complicated install for normalfags

wtf is that pic OP?

Just using it as a shitposting device, really. But what I meant was, what are some of the things YOU would do after a fresh install of your favorite distro? Is there any go to software you immediately would install? Configuring the de/wm? Idk, I'm a noob like I said. Just looking for recommendations on how to dig into the system a bit, I guess.

png

i got a refurbished thinkpad coming in the mail and i'm going to install debian on it. i'm going to be using it for programming away from home base. what editor should i use, vi, gedit, or emacs? strawpoll.me/11184492

Ok maybe I wasn't concise. What distro are you running/planning to run? What de/wm do you plan to/use?

Simple in this case means "without features" or "the least amount of work for the developers".

Fuck off troll.

ed is the standard text editor

Manjaro w/ xfce and whatever the default wm is, Xfwm4 I believe. Definitely open to trying other wm's, though. Tiling looks cool in screen shots, at least.

Good to see the Arch memes are alive and strong.

>thinking gentoo is as meme and is not actually the best distro around

Can you change text size depending on what keyword it is and use a monospace font in vim? Can it be done in emacs. Disregarding carpal tunnel syndrome is emacs better suited for software development than vim?

Here are some advice to get you going:

To edit a file, type "ed "
End all commands with an
To view the contents, type ",p"
To view a few lines around your current location, type "--,++p"
To go to the next line, type "+" (or simply press Enter without typing anything)
To go to the previous line, type "-"
To insert text, type "a". Give the text to be inserted. End with a "." (dot) alone on a line.
To append something to the end of file, use "$a".
To edit text on a line, type "s/oldtext/newtext/"
If you get lost, type a "." (dot). If inserting, it will take you into command mode; if in command mode, it shows the current line.
ed reports errors by "?". Type "h" to get an error message (does not work with all vi's).
To delete a line, type "d".
To search for some text, type "/text/".
When done editing, give the command "w", then "q".

Do any Linux distros even distribute ed anymore?

Tiling is fine if you don't mind a setup that looks like it came from the distant past/like ricing the shit out of your setup to make it look like a cohesive ui. I'm speaking from experience.

Can't say with Manjaro, I use vanilla Arch. usually I just reinstall any programs I would normally use, copy any configs from my backup and go. I usually install

>Smplayer
Ui for Mplayer
>Pcmanfm
A file manager I like
>Mpd + Mpc + Ncmpcpp
A cli music player
>Urxvt
A terminal emulator I like
>Compton
For compositing

That and I usually download icons I like, and a gtk theme that I enjoy.

But I must stress that you should experiment with different things and find out what makes you happy. There's plenty of choices for any of the things I listed. Pick for yourself.

Xfce is really straightforward and easy to use. It can be configured and all that, and you can always install something else if you like. The only thing about linux is that every ui has its strengths and drawbacks.

mint seems to have it, just checked

Just use evil-mode or viper-mode in emacs if you want vi-like bindings.

>thinking anything besides Ubuntu, which works out of the box without tweaks, is worth the time wasted setting up

I installed gentoo on my my new machine. How do I play vidya games?

Any Icons or themes you guys would suggest. Using mint with MATE right now

What web browser doesn't suck?

>mint
I think themes are a minor problem here.

I like modifier key schemes better personally because they feel more logical but sometimes emacs really go retarded. Just wondering if emacs has that little extra making it a better faux IDE than vim for developing. I know it's probably futile to ask since it fits under editor war but I'll make a try.

GNU IceCat

Qutebrowser I think, Chromium

What's a major problem?

>memes

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

Does using WINE make my system more vulnerable?

If you use it to run proprietary programs, yes.

You're not wrong.

Windows viruses are not so likely to affect you. They won't be able to propagate.

I needed to custom compile a kernel for graphics support. What can I do to make it run faster or more efficiently? Anything I can omit? This is a Dell Latitude D620 (Core 2 Duo, 64-bit).

I like the slight transparency

GNU IceCat as previously mentioned. Secure defaults, approval by the most privacy and freedom friendly organization.

>Good to see the Arch memes are alive and strong.
it should be
Good to see the Arch meme is alive and strong.
go back to school, your grammar sucks

I'm on Gentoo and IceCat isn't supported by Portage anymore. What did they fuck up?

This is a meme thread, stop spreading good information.

Reminder we have new content on the two threads over /t/ - Torrents

Training videos for GNU/Linux (NEW CONTENT)
Ported videogames (NEW CONTENT)

>I dislike the manner in which he pluralized something I consider singular
>This means his grammar is poor
Is that where you got your false sense of superiority?

If you need to check a USB for malware, how do you go about it without compromising your GNU/Linux system?

Assuming it's not just Windows malware, assuming it's one of those random USB's dropped at a hacker convention that is obviously ready to exploit something.

It's just curiosity, I don't actually have a random USB dropped at a hacker convention.

mount it with noexec.
Even then, nothing is going to run unless you open it like an idiot.

give it back tyrone

how is it going to do any harm without knowing your su password?

The gentoo maintainers are just lazy. Install yourself ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.8.0/

setuid/setgid bit.

I'd make an offline copy of everything. Plugin the USB device and then do an offline compare of files with the offline copy to ensure no exploit executed.

It may use an exploit that gives zero fucks about your noexec or you mounting anything.

Privilege escalation exploit

>It may use an exploit that gives zero fucks about your noexec or you mounting anything.
Do you understand how operating systems work?

Music for this thread, Kiesza
youtube.com/watch?v=Vnoz5uBEWOA

I used to use vim, but recently started using emacs.

Emacs is more of a IDE than text editor (I think, I haven't used a IDE). I find it easier to manage a lot of buffers at once. You can run a shell, a scheme, python and haskell interpretor, find and grep files, image previews, display pdf files etc. I can now just have emacs maximised and it has everything I need.

It has a lot of features. But vim is more popular. People would argue that vim 'does one thing and does it right'.

If you are seriously worried about RSI, I assume you already use the caps locks key as control?

>having to type keybinds when you open the TEXT EDITOR, to even be able to edit text

Yeahno

are editor wars not allowed here? darn. I can say that switching caps lock and ctrl does help a lot, and just taking periodic brakes from programming can also do wonders (there is a package for emacs that reminds you to take periodic brakes, apparently scientific).

I think it has more to do with proper typing posture than anything Emacs related

Installing Debian alongside Windows 10. What's the minimum size I should make the partition/swap? Have 32GB of memory. Installing it onto a 512GB NVMe drive that's around half full. Planning on using several other NTFS drives as shared.

Aight senpai

Do you? You haven't stated that you prevent the device from showing up as a block device. At that point code has executed with input from the USB device. This means the USB device could be designed in a such way it exploits the code interrogating it.

>having to change to INSERT MODE to even be able to edit text
Yeahno

also, you can just use emacs -nw file.txt

>having to memorize switches to be able to open a text file to edit

>emacs -nw file.txt
my nigga, that is in my ratpoison kebinds

Ok cool, thanks for the input on tiling wm's and software recommendations user.

debian can fit on 10GB.

Maybe we should make recommendations directed to normies too. There is a lot more new users coming that are not programmers or sysadmins, and they use gui music players and office suites.

I don't really use vim or emacs for developing. I used emacs over 2 decades ago at school on some sun workstations and though it was OK. Since then I've been stuck with visual studio and more recently QT creator for C++. I don't really like qt creator because it has poor and slow auto completion for C++ and it's too infested with QT.

And the experience I have with vim is editing config files. I find that it's clunky and not having intuitive shortcuts. All dev environments nowadays run a GUI so I don't see the appeal in deving in a console because people had to 40 years ago. Emacs appears to be better than vim when it comes to turning it into a faux IDE.

There's more to it than that to be sure. Tiling wms aren't bad though don't misunderstand me. It's just that some require a certain amount of knowledge for you to edit.
>awesome
>dwm
>xmonad
while others are editable in plain text.
>i3
>spectrwm
They're lightweight but aren't as feature friendly as a de. But keep in mind a de is just a set of programs that use common theming and are created to function in tandem. There are plenty of programs that use gtk/qt theming so you aren't bound to using any given one. You can even mix and match like having xfce with xmonad as a wm instead of xfwm4. Just don't go too far down the rabbit hole ricing. It's a time waster, and teaches you next to nothing but how to appreciate trial and error.

What's your preferred music player? I'm using RhythmBox and it gets the job done. I was used to foobar2000 on Windows and was a big fan of that.

So, I bought a new Nvidia card and I installed the drivers from Nvidia's site and now when I resume the computer from sleep, everything's messed up and I need to go into console and type reboot to actually quit the damn thing because everything's so unresponsive.

Anyone know how to fix this? :(

I use Audacious with the winamp skin for a gui player. You get to see the playlist like you want and more. Comfy.

can you even dual boot windows 10? i thought it didn't allow it

I heard DeaDBeeF is the preferred music player for foobar former users.

Use mocp. Don't be a GUIcuck.

I used to be a huge foobar before going free-as-in-freedom. mocp has everything I liked about foobar and more.

In order to dual-boot with win10 the only criteria is that win10 be installed first. Efi boot is irritating that way.

>Maybe we should make recommendations directed to normies too
no. Last time someone made a recommendation picture it was shit and they couldn't stop recommending bloated / buggy / shit tier stuff.

Just tell them to install fedora or opensuse, those distro should come with everything they need.

will making an alias "logout" for gnome-session-quit mess up anything? i'm new to linux

Ubuntu is better.