/pcbg/- PC Building General

**Consider 3000MHz DDR4 in your new build**

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

-If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/c4Zfyf
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178994
amazon.com/dp/B01B4NUKMY/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD4DP0316
pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/
pcpartpicker.com/product/hMvZxr/gigabyte-motherboard-gah110ma
pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/qYTrxr,DPCwrH,N63RsY,Rkh9TW/
pcpartpicker.com/list/jT7TYr
pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#S=2000000,10000000&t=7200&i=25&f=2&c=64&sort=a10&page=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/kd7TYr
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&cm_re=fury-_-14-202-186-_-Product
tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-afterburner-undervolt-radeon-r9-fury,4425.html
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NRMcHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/CJ6RKZ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JHdmD8
pcpartpicker.com/user/Huakka/saved/KHFJ7P
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

n200 or 350d?

what cpu do I need minimum to not be bottlenecking a 1060? I wanted the i3 6100 but evidently that's too weak

i3 and i5 are about the same for gaming currently but i'd still recommend an i5.

I am actually considering the same thing myself and have been looking into this too. It does depend somewhat with the type of game or program you are using. CPU intensive games will drop a bit compared to using an i5, but non CPU intensive games there will be little if any difference. Most, but not all, games rely more on gpu, but ones like GTA V use up a lot of CPU too. Jump on YouTube and type i3 6100 vs i5 6500 to see comparisons. It all depends on how strict a budget you have, but most games will do well even on an i3. But if you got the cash, an i5 will keep you future proofed for quite a few years and good for professional video rendering or whatever (I have no expertise in that stuff sorry). Up to you.

rate this low end pc. was going for bang per buck

pcpartpicker.com/list/c4Zfyf

So basically GPU is still the most important factor in most games

remove SSD and get a better graphics card.

corsair builder and cx series are bad. get EVGA, XFX, Seasonic for example instead.

I wouldn't count on it. Both The Witcher III and GTAV tax CPU heavily, and it doesn't look like this is a downward trend where CPU usage of games is decreasing rather than increasing.

Dont forget DX12 and other multithreading improvements on the way.

Are the new Seagate hard drives more reliable than the older models?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178994

That SSD is cheaper on Amazon right now.

amazon.com/dp/B01B4NUKMY/

Yes, but I'd still get WD, HGST, Hitachi or Toshiba over Seagate. Seagate is not always the cheapest either.

EVGA isn't better than Corsair CX, unless you're talking about the more expensive 80+ gold models. Which makes no sense to me, because you're singling out the Corsair CX/builder series which are way lower priced.

Maybe warranty on EVGA is better, but they are just as bad as the builder series otherwise if you're looking in the same price range. Seasonic and XFX are unfair to include in that particular price range, because they sell exclusively premium products when it comes to PSUs.

Assuming you don't count Seasonics forgotten OEM offerings, which are anything but premium. Literally grey boxes with cheap-ass caps.

Multi-threading improvements are available in DX11.3 too. But yeah, most modern games can utilize more cores. GTA and Witcher III certainly can take advantage of many many cores in DX11.

I was thinking about getting the X300, but people in the comments were saying that it was loud. This hard drive looks like it more suits my needs because I'll only be using it to save videos. But I'm unsure of the reliability.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD4DP0316

>EVGA isn't better than Corsair CX, unless you're talking about the more expensive 80+ gold models.

the supernova series is the one i meant. they're not really that more expensive, worth it anyway.

and seasonic is kinda overpriced but XFX can have good deals and actually used to be cheaper than the rest.

and if you buy anything else than what you call "premium" you almost deserve to have your shit fried.

Dont skimp on one of the most important parts of your computer.

Isnt the X300 more geared towards enterprise? might explain the loudness if it's not meant for general consumers.

Sea sonic 620w modular 80+ bronze for $60, good deal?

Well yea, obviously an expensive PSU will be better than some cheap shitheap Corsair picked from the Chinese bargain bin.

Also, I only buy Seasonic retail exclusively. I don't have a single PSU in operation in a desktop computer that isn't made by Seasonic and sold under their own brand. You just need to understand that this type of PSU isn't in the same price class as Corsair CX or the EVGA equivalent. When you just recommend "EVGA", you're also recommending the shitheaps they sell for 20 bucks which are just as bad as the Corsair equivalents. EVGA isn't a premium brand, like Seasonic retail or XFX.

>This hard drive looks like it more suits my needs because I'll only be using it to save videos
Do you mean archiving or recording onto the drive? Because if you're just storing and occasionally playing back videos, then there are cheaper choices than the X300 (unless you catch one on sale) that are much quieter. But recording onto the disk for up to 720p or 1080i videos is alright with the X300.
It is fairly loud when it does multiple track seeks, which is usually when you're running programs or writing AND reading onto the disk at the same time. I have two 5TBs that are running 10 VMs each (on a 24/7/365 VM server) and they both sound like someone is running a bent drill through the case. They're both on day 452 of continuous use and not a single one has skipped a beat, no bad sectors, or no significant errors.

It's kinda cheap actually.

It's alright. What other models do you have in that price range?

That kind of brand loyalty is bad. I heard Seasonics more recent models are not as good as their older ones.

You should always check reviews from sites like JohnnyGuru.com

You're right about specific models but at least it puts the newbs in a better direction and avoiding shit like rosewill and diablotek

>JonnyGuru.com
fixed

I was looking at some $100 corsair 80+ gold and someone recommended the cheapest bronze seasonic

Archiving videos and occasionally looking at them. The description they give seem to fit my needs and it's at a good price. I'm just not sure if it's reliable. I'm saving a lot of Korean and Japanese content that are hard to find.

Buy a cheaper 5900 rpm drive. 7200rpm isn't worth the price and the heat if you're just going to do that, unless you can catch one for less than a Seagate equivalent. I remember seeing the X300 4TB go on sale for $120, which is an insanely good price when a Seagate Desktop 5900rpm 4TB goes for $117.

I do check review sites, and no, their recent models are not worse than their older ones. They are in fact far better unless you're talking about the low end bronze ones which maybe worse than the equivalent bronze units they sold back when 80+ bronze was the high end. I don't much care because the G-series is the absolute lowest end PSU I buy, and I do know that the 80+ bronze units have high quality capacitors at the very least. The only fault SeaSonic has is spotty quality control.

But that's hardly exclusive to them. You can get duds from anyone. SeaSonic doesn't sell trash under their retail brand.

What's the fastest CPU for single thread use only?

That's absolutely an alternative. around $70 is a good price range to get good PSU.

>unless you're talking about the low end bronze ones which maybe worse than the equivalent bronze units they sold back when 80+ bronze was the high end.
yeah that is probably what they were talking about.

IBM 100GHz Graphene

And what's the fastest consumer CPU for 1 thread?

It's possible to rescue a hp pavilion a1710n? I can only install a Wi-Fi card, but idk for a video card.

i7-4790k at stock

what motherboard should I pair with an i5-6500? apparently z170 is just for overclocking?

What do you mean "rescue" ?
Fuck Wifi.
Pretty much anything recent will bottleneck the fuck out of that CPU.
get something used.

>just for overclocking
no, but it's silly to get that chipset unless it specifically has a feature you absolutely want, because H110 chipset is cheaper.

i7-5775C at stock speeds probably, I don't think you can overclock it though.

i don't even know what features it has so I guess the h110 is a better choice for me

this should give you a better idea about differences:
>pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/

note that most cheaper h110 mobos are mATX so they are smaller than regular ATX so it will look a bit silly if you get a regular mid tower (atx) case. but this means you can get a smaller mini tower case if you want to save some space in your room.

>I don't think you can overclock it though
Oh, you definitely can, but she won't like it. I have one a 4.3GHz and it's pushing 70 degrees on a 120mm AIO. Shit does not like overclocking.

Oh Ok. Thanks I didn't know that.

Evga 650w platinum for $100? Is a better rating worth the extra mone?

4.3 is pretty good. You got any benchmarks of it? Like say Cinebench 15 or maybe even CPU-Z benchmark. I'm not sure what loads that processor is good at, but I know it's good at something and that there is nothing else like it just yet.

Can I plug an old hard drive form an old desktop with vista on it into my new build?

Will it just work?

I've got an older 8350 build, do you guys think it'd be worth it to go from 1866 ram to 2400?

from*

is something like this a good choice? it had the most ratings on pcpp. space isn't too much of a concern

pcpartpicker.com/product/hMvZxr/gigabyte-motherboard-gah110ma

On CB15 I think it scored just a few dozen points above my stock 4790K at a measely 4.4GHz. I wanted to push it to 4.5, but it just wasn't having it.
My 4790K at 4.7GHz can whoop it, though, especially with single-threaded benchmarks. But that L4 cache really helps the 5775C tip the scales in multi-threaded benchmarks and tasks.

You need to prepare the driver for disk controller. Either by reverting to the default fallback driver and shutting down or by installing the proper driver somehow.

Not really. 80+ rating is mainly efficiency, not reliability (tho it is a pleasant side-effect but not a huge one).

Stick with 80+ gold fully or semi-modular for around $70.

>pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/qYTrxr,DPCwrH,N63RsY,Rkh9TW/

Unless another brand has better warranty, yeah that's fine.

2GB VRAM is a no-go right now, either get a 4GB 460 or cut the SSD and get a 470

ok, I switched to an i5-6500 and an h110 motherboard. how does my build look now? I can spend a bit more on something if it'll be a great improvement. I've whittled this down from $1500

Dont really need aftermarket cooler unless you really want a chill and silent PC.
I'd get a different brand HDD.
Get a RX 480 instead.
Does the monitor have FreeSync?

A 6500 will bottleneck your Fury on CPU intensive games, if you can get a 6600k and a better mobo you'll be fine

I want it to be as cool as possible within my price range desu
what hdd would you suggest? I had a western digital black in there for like $120 and everyone said to switch
isn't the fury nitro like 20% faster for only $20-$30 more?
yeah it does, which is why I've been sticking with amd despite their worse performance

I didn't even think about bottlenecking. is the 6500 that much of a decrease from the 6600k?

>is the 6500 that much of a decrease from the 6600k?
Stock for stock not much, but when overclocking takes place you're gonna see much better results with the 6600k in games like GTAV and TW3. I have a locked i5(4460) and a 390X and it's sad to see the GPU sitting at 70-80% usage inside Novigrad and my framerate getting to 40s

>what hdd
pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#S=2000000,10000000&t=7200&i=25&f=2&c=64&sort=a10&page=1

they are all pretty much the same, i just avoid seagate out of principle

>isn't the fury nitro like 20% faster for only $20-$30 more?
nevermind then. keep that

this. even just the option to OC down the line is worth it IMO. but you basically get free extra performance so you dont have to upgrade as soon.

fixed the list
pcpartpicker.com/list/kd7TYr

wd blacks are not worth it as a secondary drive
also the H7 is better than 212 cooler
and you can save a little on the PSU if you wont OC:
pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/qYTrxr,DPCwrH,N63RsY,Rkh9TW/

you can get a 480 until vega drops(and sell it when it drop), but don´t buy a fucking reference fury to be precise NEVER buy ANY card as reference they all suck dick

What is the best GPU for Fallout 4?

I don't know anything about OCing. should I still invest in it (6600k + z170) and just learn when I need it? pic related, a build i can afford

is this a reference card? I didn't think so since it had sapphire in the name
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202186&cm_re=fury-_-14-202-186-_-Product

Fury > 480. There's no "reference" Fury, that's the Nitro model which is a really good model with amazing temps and build quality, although is really long so check if your case can fit it.
Also to the guy who's buying, check this article on undervolting: tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-afterburner-undervolt-radeon-r9-fury,4425.html
You can get your card close to 980s in power efficiency without losing performance

It's not refference, that's the model in pic related. You really should invest on a unlocked CPU even if you don't know about OCing just for future proofness, read some guides online and do it when you're confident enough, you're gonna thank me later

>I don't know anything about OCing
it's very easy, you just change one or two settings in the BIOS for a light OC that wont do any harm

>should I still invest in it (6600k + z170)
highly recommended, yes.

>reference
that just means it has the standard cooler and board design (typically the 1 fan blower design). they tend to be hotter and louder.
the brand (sapphire) just means it's made by that company, they can have both reference and non reference (like 2-3 big fans all over the card).

Build looks fine, it that monitor FreeSync compatible? If so, I think it's perfect

Depending on what he does blacks are worth it if he doesnt have backup hdds, if he has backup hdds he can get a cheap hdd.
also never cheap out on psu it can fuck you hard, also Seasonic is the best psu manufactor.

Cpu cooler yeah missclicked that I wanted to choose the Thermalright Macho Direct its only 2°C under the Noctua NH-D15S for much cheaper at least in EU

most hitachi drives are just as reliable as WD

if you drop money into z170 for oc possebilitys get an ASUS board they are better around the 100$ mark

did you even check the fucking list of those power supplies linked?

nothing about those is cheap, real reviews confirmed good stuff.

true but all Hitachis I had were loud as fuck

seems like having the option to OC is very beneficial, thank you for the info friends. I will definitely go with the OC build

yes it is, I specifically sought out a freesync monitor and chose the components around that aspect

isn't the evga g2 line made by seasonic?

which one would you suggest? I'm really unfamiliar with motherboard makes and models

I consider 100$ to be cheap for a psu....because I drop around 200$ for one, also why buy rebranded stuff from evga when you can have the actual manufactor aka Seasonic with 10years warrenty?

just to be real, don´t get blindsided by the OC stuff, in 8/10 cases your gpu will be the bottleneck and you can OC the gpu with an h170 or z170 chipset just fine, ocing the CPU only gives small advantages in SOME games for a much bigger price tag, in general I don´t recomment buying oc cpus if you don´t sli/crossfire because the price/performance is just not there

Super loud. Do you have any suggestions to dampen noise? Maybe special screws?

This was the case 2 years ago, but games nowadays are getting really CPU heavy and I don't see that going away. The extra money he's gonna spend now with the unlocked stuff will guarantee him 2 or 3 years more of good performance down the line, look at people with 2500Ks for example

you could use some rubber sealrings between case and hdd, that absorbs at least some noise transmitted via case but those mofos are still loud

>diablotek
Lol, aye fuck you fame.

I had one of them bitches running for like 3 years until I gave the computer to my friend since his shit the bed. It's still running. Going on 5 years now.

>"most"
no like I said SOME games aka the only games I know are badly optimised games like GTA V or games like AotS(that nobody plays).
Doom (which is a new and modern game) is not that cpu heavy.

Also the 2500k-2700k series is a special case they OC like beasts which is not the case for skytrash which ocs like shit.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NRMcHN

I know the PSU is a little overkill but does this look good otherwise?

>That kind of brand loyalty is bad. I heard Seasonics more recent models are not as good as their older ones.
I don´t know were you get that bullshit but Seasonic Prime Series is the absolute best on the market atm, there is nothing with better.

holy shit 100$ for a b150 mobo switch that shit for h170.
Also if you really want a 1060 get one from evga.

>badly optimised games like GTA V

>3000
>terribly optimized ancient engine with huge performance issues shows improvements
What about any other games? F4 is an outlier.

Not him, but while we are on the subject... What about a H110 mobo with an i5 6500? Some dude on YouTube recommends the H170 for the i5, but why? Is it just the extra ram slots? Sorry but I am a bit confused when it comes to mobos

I mean it's true, game looks nice but it's so cpu heavy, for no good reason. It still pulls all the tricks to get lower usage, vehicles are not persistent etc

GTAV is very well optimized on PC.

What is the difference with the mobo?

H110 is meh because its slower DMI and no PCIe 3.0
its Z170 (for oc or crossfire/sli), H170(for upgradabiliy ( no crossfire/sli) or b150(for poor fagbuild (no crossfire/sli))

H170 is better because its more futureproof you can upgrade more stuff like adding a M.3 ssd later on.

but most of the time you can get a reasonable z170 even without K cpu if you want to crossfire/sli later on if you for example bought a 480

no its not, its a shity console port and just because rockstar slaped a shity filter + AntiAliasing on it doesn´t make it well optimised.
It uses way to much resources for what it does while still having all the shity console cheats like despawning vehicels etc.
you won´t find one serious reviewer that will say GTA V is a optimised game for pc.

How can I save a little money on the first 4 parts?
pcpartpicker.com/list/CJ6RKZ

If I were looking for something upgradable range gaming pc, what would I need to be better than my current shitty laptop?

>you won´t find one serious reviewer that will say GTA V is a optimised game for pc.
considering you can play the game at 60fps with a 750ti I wouldn't say the port is bad, also you sound clearly upset about something, did someone hurt you today?

Budget's maybe $600.

6600k, cheap 2133mhz ddr4, an overclocking mobo and a modern GPU (depending on your resolution it'll probably be between the 1070 and 480/1060)

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JHdmD8

Is this better? I don't know much about motherboards.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Huakka/saved/KHFJ7P
?

It doesn't use too much resources, it's very easy to run. You can run it on a complete toaster with a graphics card like a GTX 460 which can't run most modern games at all. It ain't GTAVs fault if you turn the "rape my CPU" options to max when you have a shitty 10 year old CPU.
It has settings for a reason.

Probably one of the best optimized games on PC really. Also, you shouldn't be complaining about "deswawning cars" when you can't even run it properly on your toaster with optimizations like that in place.

drop the shity AiO and buy an aircooler like every smart person does
the cpu useage is way way waaay to high for what GTA V shows, if you don´t understand that I can´t help you and you are legit retarded. Try google but im really fed up with the GTA V fanboys

but muh quiet
Also not even 100% sure if a 212 will even fit in the n200 case

>the cpu useage is way way waaay to high for what GTA V shows
woah now I'm convinced
>if you don´t understand that I can´t help you and you are legit retarded
understand what? a random affirmation by some user on Sup Forums? can you provide me some link or proof that the game is poorly optimized?

Oh Ok. Wow thank you heaps for helping me :). I never plan to crossfire or sli or oc, and the b150 is only a few cents more than the h110 for my poorfag build, so I guess that is what I will go with. I hope the ASRock B150M-HDS is a good one.

rate

also suggest small cases that fit ATX boards please

>50% CPU usage at highest on any individual core while bottlenecking the shit out of GPU with all CPU rape settings set to maximum possible is too much
Wow.

You should realize that you're taking a scenario where you have weak processor performance and equating it to bad optimization. No, your processor performance is weak.