tomshardware.com/news/cherry-mx-speed-switches-corsair,31648.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GJRA3Ot_4vg
matias.ca/ergopro/pc/
massdrop.com/buy/ve-a?mode=guest_open
github.com/OSVR/OSVR-Core/blob/master/LICENSE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

god damn, that is one ugly keyboard

daily meme board repost

The funny thing is an IBM model F 62 key is worth well over $200.

okay now its my turn

Would it be better for me to just buy a blue switch keyboard and a red switch keyboard instead of just getting a brown switch keyboard, since blue switch is for typing only and red switch is for gaming?

very nice user

there
is
no
such
thing
as
a
switch
for
gaming

yes

different switches have different characteristics

wow thanks for the insight

any more tips?

Sounds like a good plan, especially since MX Blues don't function unless emacs is open and MX Reds don't work unless CS:GO is open.

Dont listen to this dumb ass. Yes swithces have different feels and mechanisms but there is no switch thats better for gaming its all just marketing hooblaa

Can someone explain to me why you wouldn't want tactile for gaming? I know the faq says you would be bottoming the key anyway, but with tactile wouldn't that let you know when to release the key so you can quickly switch to a different key such as changing weapons or going from left to right?

... so a certain switch may be more suitable FOR GAMING

kill yourself

what
is
a
linear
switch

with reds you can hover around the actuation point for near-instant actuation and extremely fast double taps. blues have a higher deactivation point than the activation point so there is an inherent delay built into the switch

Wait dont tell me you actually fell for the reds are only for gaming and blues are for typing meme

fucking kek
in what way?

which company's marketing team forced that down your throat?

a
switch
marketed
towards
retarded
gaymers
you

many gamers including professional gamers prefer reds you fucking autist

>different switches have different characteristics but i'm going to ignore this because my idiotic sperg brain can only think in black and white

>with reds you can hover around the actuation point

It's a nice thought but being that you can't actually feel the actuation point your floating doubletaps won't really be accurate.

Wait dont tell me you also bought a corsair e-sports approved keyboard user

>i need to spend more money becuase a commercial told me some switches are better than others for gaming

yvan eht nioj, user

for you

anyway take the advice on "gayming" from these keyboard fetishists who don't even play games with a grain of salt

Lol the only thing I do on my blues is game and I still end up at the top of the leader boards

mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php

so reds having the highest rating for gaming is pure coincidence LOL

So you're telling me with blues I would have to let the key go all the way back up before I could use it again?

>for you

Keep telling yourself that. Cherries have as much as 15g of variance in tolerance from one switch to the next.

Fuck man Im tired and you're retarded can you please get a trip so I can filter you're gaymer trash opinions.
Also just to say again you are retarded

Wow 1mm of travel distance is literably unusable for games. Thanks cherry now I will fail at everything

it's possible to active it again without letting it go all the way up but in practice you would usually let it go all the way up which is fine when typing but not ideal for gaming. also there is resistance because of the tactile bump which adds a delay (you build up pressure until it "snaps"), with reds there is no resistance to speak of

>I still end up at the top of the leader boards
LOL you cant make this shit up

you just linked a completely arbitrary list of shit.

people will rate whatever they buy highly
and people will buy whatever the PRO ESPORTS GAYMERS & marketing teams tell them to buy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

mx reds were introduced in 2008, decades after the other switches, so companies realized they could sell them to retards like you as being a DESIGNED FOR GAMING SWITCH

mx blue was introduced in 2007, what's your point? and you're delusional to think that both are the same for gaming, blues are more "clunky" which is great for typing as you get a huge amount of feedback on each keystroke, while reds are more "agile"

The reset point delay on blues is caused by the click slider. it has to rise past the actuation leaves before they'll separate again.

holy shit user that's basically straight out of a corsair sales team

there's no such thing as a switch designed for a single task better than another.
if; by your shitty metric, a switch is only good for one thing, it's not a good switch

you're retarded and i'm done responding to you

>there's no such thing as a car designed for a single task better than another.
>if; by your shitty metric, a car is only good for one thing, it's not a good car

>there's no such thing as a gun designed for a single task better than another.
>if; by your shitty metric, a gun is only good for one thing, it's not a good gun

>there's no such thing as a car designed for a single task better than another.
>if; by your shitty metric, a car is only good for one thing, it's not a good car

>there's no such thing as a house designed for a single task better than another.
>if; by your shitty metric, a house is only good for one thing, it's not a good house

lol k

On the other hand the tactile MX switches like browns don't actually have this delay.

The actuation point is slightly after the tactile point, so that's what you'd need to get used to in order to doubletap them effectively. The presence of the tactile point should actually help when you're used to it, even.

Wait dont tell me you fell for the design by gamers for gamers memeboards

ok i guess you use a $5 mouse or a $200 "artisan" mouse then since the "gaming" mice are such memes

You are fucking stupid if you think there's a "switch made for gaming".

Fucking linear switches aren't gonna make you WASD better in Call of Duty you fucking moron.

Since we're posting naked switches anyway...

Don't worry, she's over 18.

Lol no I use a g303 because it was on sale on prime day for 29 bucks and I like to finger grip. I've already removed those gay LEDs and it almost looks like a normal mouse

tomshardware.com/news/cherry-mx-speed-switches-corsair,31648.html

what's this then?

Wait dont tell me you bought one of those corsair keyboards

There are actually switches made for gaming. They are stiffer and have a higher actuation point.

Cherry silver switches as pointed out above, EG switches, razer switches.

Do you have some gifs for funky switches like Mitsumi hybrid swithches

typing and gaming are different things. different tools for different situations. what kind of horrible joke of a carpenter would try to hammer down a screw?

'fraid not. Just the more common ones.

>hammer down a screw

That sounds fucking boss.

youtube.com/watch?v=GJRA3Ot_4vg

Hey guys I'm looking for a new keyboard to use, my current one is dying on me and its time for a change.

I have read through the FAQ but it all seems overwhelming at the moment. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

>Budget
Any amount.

>Location (continent at least)
United States

>Preferred switch type
Not sure on this one...Blue switch maybe?
I do a lot of typing for programming, which is why I've had an ergo keyboard for 8+ years.

>Layout
ANSI

>Form factor
100% I would prefer having a numpad but I'm open to suggestions.

>Backlight
No

>Previous/current keyboards
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (Pic related)

consider going below 100% so you get less hand movement and so you can have your mouse closer to the typing area, you can still have a standalone numpad if you want, if this sounds dumb i still suggest giving it a few days of consideration. and yeah blues and greens are great

Having a less than 100% keyboard is retarded and you are retarded.

that's what i said too at first, but sure it's your money

I'm not the guy, I'm just too looking for a decent keyboard and can't find one, because everything decent is either tenkeyless or fucking 60%.

I never thought I'd say that, but looks like Razer Blackwidows are the best ones on the market for people looking for a 100% layout and a somewhat ergonomic form.

Even the fuckin Cherry MX board 6.0 I considered turned out to be a horror.

I have a question for Linux users who have 60% keyboards that don't have a function keys row.

How do you Ctrl + Alt + F2 ?

Not my point.

The point is that it's just another switch, and they called it a "gaming switch".

>Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (Pic related)

What did you think of it?

I used MS ergonomic keyboards for a long time, and wanted to love the Ergo 4000, but I just couldn't get along with it. Managed to kill two of them in as many years. Some of the keys were worn to a shine after the year they lasted, and all the feet had come off.

I also found myself making more mistakes with it. Initially put it down to being unused to the new board, but never got better. Maybe too big for my hands?

Saddening, but I ditched the MS ergo line after that for a Logitech wave.

Because it's specifically made for a task, in this case gaming.

Nah, because you'll buy it because you think it'll somehow make you better at gaming because it was "made for gaming".

I swear you could make a "gaming toilet" and you fucks would still buy it.

I recently brought the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L.
I had a wrist rest on my last keyboard but I don't miss it.
The whole keyboard is actually shaped like a bowl and I really like it. Comfy.
You can also make custom rests easily.

Nah, I tried them out in a shop, specifically the WASD part, and i think it would actually feel better for repetitive fast keypresses you use in FPS and RPG games.

it's specifically designed for gaming. they took reds, which is/was already the best suited switch for gaming (most people think so, anyway), and improved it further FOR GAMING.

Assuming you want to stick with ergonomic, get this:
matias.ca/ergopro/pc/
They come with quiet click switches, which aren't actually non-clicky tactile, but are the quietest thing you will ever type on, and way better feeling than anything cherry. They may sell a version with regular matias clicky switches somewhere, which is like a better, heavier version of the blue cherry switch, but I am not aware of it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Not having a numpad isn't a deal breaker. However, the picture makes this keyboard look tiny but I'll do a bit of research on it.

It took a while for me to get comfortable with it due to the design but it's a solid keyboard for the price.

I can't take a picture of what mine currently looks like but most of the keys are worn to a shine and the home row keys along with other commonly used keys are blank at this point.

Also, I should mention the MS Ergo 4000 is a comfortable size for my hands. Which is another reason why I think I would prefer a 100% keyboard.

I also always used wrist rests or the elongated keyboards like logitechs, that act as a wrist support.
I'm afraid to buy these because they look way too high without a rest and a good sign of a carpal tunnel syndrome inducer. I mean come on, was it so hard to make the bottom bezel an inch longer?
Yes, you can get a custom wrist rest, but when it's not attached to the keyboard it tends to slide around when typing.

keep in mind that mechanical keyboards are mostly the same in terms of key spacing and such, it's mainly the layout that affects the size

here, this keyboard looks really interesting! I'm curious to know if anyone else has experience using this or would recommend it?

Still open for more suggestions.

massdrop.com/buy/ve-a?mode=guest_open

If keyboards weren't meant for gaming should I just get a gaming keypad instead?

That looks horrible and is about the same size as an 80% with out the benefit.

i haven't tried a keypad myself but sure why not, but it might not have enough keys depending on which game you're playing

Are Tai Hao PBTs any good?

>Razer

Really?

nice meme

Having fun there, Razer shill?

Pretty sure no one else produces any mechanical ones.

Also why all the hate for razer? They are funding open source projects and bringing in cheap consumer VR. What's not to like?

suggest a better keypad then i just googled for a keypad and saw the nostromo then i posted orbweaver too because it has more keys jeez

Open source does not mean free software.

I haven't tried the ergonomic model but I have used the switches on their full size keyboard and they are quite nice. Unfortunately they use ABS keycaps which means they will start to shine after a lot of use, and you can feel the legends. To make things worse, PBT keycaps for Alps style stems are pretty much impossible to get except by salvaging them off old boards. That only really matters if you care about keycaps though.

I thought Razer was a bad company?

They are actually offering VR software development tools for free. And they have VR developers fund, which will actually fund you if they like the shit you make.

That's not free as in freedom.

Copyleft is bad anyways fuck you.

No, they won't let you fork and take credit for their software if that's what you mean.

github.com/OSVR/OSVR-Core/blob/master/LICENSE

it's one of the leading gaming peripheral brands. people in /mkg/ and in Sup Forums hate everything that has to do with "gayming" although /mkg/ seems ok with cooler master and chink gaming brands for budget mechanical keyboards

They lead only in market share, not in quality.

razer deathadder is a god tier mouse, there are other good mice from other brands too but it comes down to personal preference

They have pretty decent quality. My deathadder 2013 is 3 year old now and works perfectly. The keyboards are decent too.

Hell no man. If it's so god tier, then why do the ergonomics suck so much?
>back end extends into your thumb muscle so it has to be held crooked or out of your palm
>comfort grooves spread your fingers wider than a rape victim's legs
>right side curves out, presumably for aesthetics since that's not how fingers work
>stiff cable
>retarded software
3.5G by the way. I think I got it in 2011 or 2012.

you are just holding it wrong. You are supposed to rest your whole palm on it. Then the fingers just lay on the buttons naturally and the right side curve is where your pinky is. Comfiest mouse ever.

this

the stiff cable is so it won't droop down and drag against your desk

>programmable TKL board
>program numpad in however you like
or you could buy a numpad, or a programmable keypad in whatever format you like (rather, choose from the loads of options out there), for that matter
3m makes a good silicon wrist rest that doesn't slide on any surface I've put it on, and it hasn't peeled or split along any edges or started to form any dents or anything like that in over a year of use so far (unlike others I've used)
don't know if any of that is appealing to you, just throwing out some ideas

That's not the Mionix Naos though.

Shit compared to deathadder.

Deathadder is actually based on the best mouse to ever exist, with improved ergonomics.