PC-BSD Evolves into TrueOS

PC-BSD, based off FreeBSD, has evolved into TrueOS.

Details (partial copy below): trueos.org/2016/09/01/pc-bsd-evolves-into-trueos/

TrueOS Features:

- Now a rolling release based on FreeBSD-CURRENT.
- Weekly package/ISO updates (or more often, as necessary).
- Only one package repository. Update when you’re ready and never get left behind again.
- Automatic updates can be enabled/disabled as desired.
- All updates are performed in a safe manner using Boot Environments. Updates never change your live system, as the updated system is not activated or used until you reboot
- Existing PC-BSD/FreeBSD users can use the non-destructive fresh installation into a new boot environment on non-encrypted ZFS pools. This mechanism preserves all user data while performing a fresh install of the operating system and all applications. Simply re-create any user accounts post-installation to access the data in their home directories
- TrueOS Desktop pre-installs a pure Qt5 system based around the Lumina desktop and SysAdm.
- TrueOS Server pre-installs the SysAdm service for remote system management, with remote access initially disabled.
- A full repository of applications is available for installation through AppCafe.
- TrueOS is currently in Beta status. All of the critical functionality is complete, but we are still migrating some utilities from PC-BSD to the new TrueOS framework.

Differences from FreeBSD 11.0:

- LibreSSL has replaced OpenSSL completely, even in the FreeBSD base.
- Linux DRM 4.7 compatibility adds support for the Haswell, Broadwell, and Skylake Intel graphics.
- The entire system, including the FreeBSD base, is managed by pkg.

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"A Refuge for those fleeing systemd"

Nobody cares l0l

KILLER FEATURE:

"Speaking of ZFS, Lumina's file manager has some neat ZFS integration, featuring a time slider to allow viewing the contents of directories within snapshots. "

>What is PCLinuxOS?

fuck QT
fuck KDE

i want wayland

Even though I hate BSD hipsters, PC-BSD (now trueOS) is the only BSD I'd ever use

Good luck!

bsd user are not hipsters, we just use a superior unix like operating system, and have reached enlightenment in regards to the linux kernel

BSD came before Linux and BSD has nothing to do with the Linux Kernel.

>superior unix like operating system
Superior in what again?

In needing CentOS binary compatibility.

When did this "BSD is hipster" meme begin?

Does the person who came up with this even know what "hipster" means?

Most BSD's are research OS's, like OpenBSD where they dump legacy code and try new things other distros can't do because they have to support legacy or weird/failed standards (FIPS bullshit).

This distro is interesting I saw it shilled earlier on HN but the majority of the discussion was asperger rage over the name "This implies one true OS!" where basically everybody just argued over the branding.

You tell me, meme professor

It's just summer. It will pass.

It's been summer for like.. 4 years

It hasn't, it just feels like it has.

nice 1998 DE

Fuck Wal-Mart
Fuck Target

I want Tesla

???

nice falseflag

sometimes they say we're hippies while they're sucking stallman's dick

its pretty funny desu

Who would want a distro based on the most insecure OS to ever exist?

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

Preinstalled with more vulnerabilities!