Are 720p screens still acceptable in 2016 high-end flagships?

Are 720p screens still acceptable in 2016 high-end flagships?

Why/Why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

phonearena.com/news/Quad-HD-vs-1080p-vs-720p-comparison-heres-whats-the-difference_id55697
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Price is more relevant than if its a flagship desu.

And seeing how my LG G3 was $400 AUD

And the iphone 7 is what like 1k aud

Yeah id say that wirh the specs the 7 has. Its not okay even before talking about the screen

The difference between 720p and 1080 is quite visible on a screen that size.

1080p lcd screens have been cheap as fuck nowadays.

So no, it's not acceptable.

They keep the regular Iphone on 720p because they want to sell more for their plus model ofcourse, that's all there is to it.

I prefer 480p phones, eyes cant see higher anyway

Anything higher is just stupid. It's a fucking phone.

why not sell only the plus model?
why is a nu-iPhone needed anyways?

Because you will sell more of the plus model if you put a less appealing option next to it.

It's a common marketing tactic.

Also with 5,5 inches and huge ass fucking bezels the thing is just too big for alot of people

>less appealing

The iPhone 7's size and resolution are fine. I have the 6S, and it's fine. What's unappealing to me is a phablet half the size of my fucking face. I'm glad OIS finally came to the smaller iPhone.

>It's an anonymous strangers on the internet tell you what you can and can't see episode

>The iPhone 7's size and resolution are fine
Well ofcourse you would say that

It all depends on the resulting pixel density. 720p is fine for the iPhone's size, and anything over 1080p is overkill for any size handheld.

My phone has a 2k screen and I honestly can't tell the difference between it and my Galaxy Nexus. I also have shitty vision, so my opinion could be entirely worthless.

I don't think it matters much because there isn't content on these 1080p phones besides compressed streaming video.

Honestly you can tell. I have a 6s and I wish it had a higher pixel density. It's most obvious around the carrier strength bubbles.

Better question is, does it matter. The only people still buying iphones are people that will just buy it because it is made by apple. Apple doolies will buy this phone even with the lack of a 3.5mm jack and they would buy it with a 240p screen.

How big is the Iphone now? I can't keep up.

The general concencus is that up until 400ppi you can still spot a difference in resolution.

The iphone 7 is 326 ppi, while not being bad, it's not as good as one would expect for this price.

And there really is no excuse for it other than marketing ploys. 1080p LCD screens are cheap as fuck nowadays.

Yes. It's not really a big difference although it's noticeable (depending on the ppi). 720p is useful if you want to have a better battery life, but if you want a smoother screen 1080p is enough, anything more is a useless battery waste.

Oh I agree, it's 100% unacceptable at that price point. Sony crammed a UHD displau in a phone over $100 cheaper.

>watch the launch event
>Apple outright says it's the best screen in any smartphone
>it has a stone age resolution
>it's still LCD and not oled, meaning contrast levels and viewing angles will be worse than competitors employing good OLED screens

It's these outright fucking lies that upset me, I think Apple actualy has some really good hardware, their SOC is amazing for example. But stop fucking lying about the screen.

iphone already has a high ppi for that size of screen. literally what is the need for meme resolutions for such a screen? do you believe that you will see every pixel if your phone were 4k? ppi just helps hidpi scaling, which ios already does great job.

>iphone already has a high ppi for that size of screen
No it doesn't, it's way under 400 ppi

Because Android phones are now higher resolution. Therefore LOL APPLE, Y U SO LOW RESLOLUTION?

>literally what is the need for meme resolutions for such a screen?

That it produces a sharper image that is more appealing to the eye, obviously. Are you people tech illiterate?

I will agree 2k and 4k smartphones screens are ridiculous, but FHD is definately an upgrade over 720p, even on that size of a screen.

see It's referring to Macbooks, but Sup Forums's reaction to iPhone 4 was the same.

To everyone that keeps buying into the retina hd meme, thinking you truly can't see the difference between a 720 or a 1080p screen on a 4.7 inch screen read this article of people who actualy tested it:

phonearena.com/news/Quad-HD-vs-1080p-vs-720p-comparison-heres-whats-the-difference_id55697

Apple is gay
Nothing wrong with 720p on phones

yes, because it's rgb 720p (no pentile shit) and it's a fucking 4.7" screen at ~320 ppi.
there's a difference between noticing pixelisation, and there actually being a need for a higher res screen.
Yeah I can see the pixels on my friends 5" 540p phone, but text is 100% readable at that ppi for normal use
>inb4 muh vr
vr on a phone is a terrible gimmick, and you should kill yourself if you are even remotely interested.
even vr on pc is pretty bad, and that's with a system 10x as powerful as the $800 slab of glass you put in a cardboard box.

why don't you look at the thing and see how it looks instead of just looking at numbers, I know that's the non-autistic way of going about it but just try it

Do you also prefer 128kbps mp3?

Wasn't Apple that started the retina trend?

5.5" and 1080p makes sense

any increase of either (either in physical size, or to 1440p or 4K) makes no sense

I'd be ok with 720 at 4.2" I reckon

>there's a difference between noticing pixelisation, and there actually being a need for a higher res screen.

Okay I'm done here, people can't be this fucking stupid

>30 fps is also """"very"""" cinematic.

I think 1080p should be on every phone 4.7" or above. Anything less use 720p

Isn't all that apple and their fanbase do? Spread lies and misinformation and smell their own farts to pretend they are superior to everything else?

But yeah you children keep on making pointless threads about this.

>retina
>trend
retina is a gay marketing term.
normal people call it high ppi devices, and no apple didn't start that.

4.7 inches @ 326 ppi is fine. I like the approach Apple takes. They don't worry about hitting arbitrary industry standards. It's all about real world performance. You can have 6GB of RAm with awful management, or 2 with greta management. That's Android vs iOS in a nutshell. Numbers that look nice on paper vs real world performance.

What that moron said is foolish, but 24 fps should remain as the standard for films. 60 fps is best suited for live action. The soap opera buttery feel on 60 fps in films always garners bad reviews because it looks terrible. The Hobbit was a good example of this.

>falling for the 1440p meme

720p is fine you dumb fuck you literally cant see the difference unless its all the way in front of your face

higher resolution is a waste of battery and processing power

you don't need more than 720p on a phone

>Unless it's all the way in front of your face
But that's how I use my devices without my glasses. I can even see pixels on the Nexus 6

I have the 6S and compared to my friend's LG with QHD display, it doesn't even come close to how good QHD looks. That said, I like iOS so I'm not going to be switching anytime soon.

"best" is subjective. Apple displays tend to be the brightest or have good calibration or whatever. So they can say it's the "best".

Most reviews comparing phones say the galaxy s7 has the best screen. Stop lying you faggot

in smaller phones, sure. but they barely exist

I remember that until mid-2012 most android phones had 480x800 diplays and they started to catch-up because of the iPhone retina display thing.
I remember both my htc desire and desire hd got 480p displays, then I upgraded to the htc sensation and while the display was better it wasn't that much of a difference in ppi