I'm following the wiki's guide to purchasing a thinkpad laptop...

I'm following the wiki's guide to purchasing a thinkpad laptop. This is one of the first results that comes up on ebay uk. Does this look dodgy to any of yous?

ebay.co.uk/itm/CHEAP-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-i-Laptop-Core-i3-M380-2-53GHz-4GB-Ram-160GB-Warranty-/322248076146?hash=item4b077b6b72:g:nH4AAOSwGtRXyCX0

Following the wiki guide, this is very low priced for its specs. I'd love to only part with 90-ish poundywounds for a thinkpad, but not if it's stolen/locked stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-14-Inch-Laptop-Professional/dp/B00XHXKFY8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's a pretty shitty CPU tbqh. you should go for an i5 2. generation.

for the offer itself, i dunno, he sold much and the reviews are mostly good. but keep in mind that it could look pretty shit. the picture is from his best looking thinkpad. that's why i don't buy laptops with ORIGINAL images.

If you can't find cheaper, buy it and upgrade the CPU later if you come to like memepad.

>not if it's stolen/locked stuff
then just ask if the bios is password-locked and computrace is enabled

if both answers are no then you're okay

This is very helpful, CPUs are something I know little about. I've mostly been paying attention to RAM, getting something in the 4-8 Gs zone (too less will be too slow and annoying, more is uncessary for the poddling about I do).

I wonder if, provided there's a way to send an email to the seller, I could ask for photos of specific products, including stuff like BIOS passwords. Probably can't.

Never upgraded a computer before, it's on my long-term bucket list. My current laptop's motherboard got norked and I want a non-crappy-Windows-10-bleg replacement ASAP. Is replacement easy and cheap for something like this? I have general experience taking apart computers safety-wise, just never done a CPU swap.

please, for your own good, spend a few weeks lurking /tpg/, then buy a thinkpad

you at least want a t420 or t430, or x220 or x230

Wasn't the x201 the one with heat problems?

Awaiting a response from them as of now

I didn't know there was a general for that, thanks for the heads-up

>I've mostly been paying attention to RAM, getting something in the 4-8 Gs zone
The thing is everything as in fucking everything is replaceable/upgradeable in these things, that's one of their selling points.

So even if you get a dirt cheap one without ram you can slap some ram sticks for cheaper, or go full jew and buy noname/used sticks

Alright, so how about this one fellas. Not too bad price, has that I5 processor.

amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-14-Inch-Laptop-Professional/dp/B00XHXKFY8

I could still just upgrade a worse, cheap machine. Wouldn't know where to begin with that.

I don't know about prices in burgers so can't help you if that's good or not.

However with a T420 you have plenty of upgrade room ahead including 16gb ram, quad core i7 cpu, three drives and so. Sadly you're going to be stuck with a shit TN screen with crap view angles, but at least it's 1600x900 instead of the 1366x768 meme.

Lol who the fuck uses 1st gen core in 2016.

>massive 250 gb hard drive

I'm also not a burger, but it's about 130-140 quiddles by my rule of thumb.

From what I've read, RAM gets pricey in large amounts and shouldn't be chased unless it's needed. I don't play games regularly and only one of them would benefit from super RAM, so based on that I wouldn't think 16GB is a good idea. Is it really cheap to upgrade to that?

Screen's an upgrade over what I'm using now anyway, so no complaints there.

Are bids are good idea? There's one currently going in America with 3 hours left on it, at 96 $ / 72 £. I could see that escalating wildly in the last few hours.

Maybe you don't need it now but i'm saying that it's a possibility in the future.
>Is it really cheap to upgrade to that?
2x8gb sticks are pretty cheap, even more if it's used, or bought from Aliexpress, ebay, etc.

Or 2x4gb sticks if you don't need 16gb.

Doing my research, 8gb ram sticks seem to go for as low as £5, super cheap really. I've asked several times in thread already about how easy it is to install this stuff, haven't got an answer so I'll ask it - is it just an unscrew-case, identify-slots, insert-sticks, screw-case-back-on type deal to do these upgrades?

>tfw still using core duo

On the T420, yes.

One screw to get into where the first ram slot + msata slot is and another screw to take off the keyboard and get to the 2nd ram slot.

ive bought from that shop before, they're reliable.

Alright, so between the positive comments about the retailer, the ease of upgrade and the fact that they got back to me and told me there was no bios lock or compuware stuff on the machine, I'm leaning towards buying this. There's a discount if you buy two as well, so I'm thinking about a joint purchase for my mother, whose machine is looking pretty dead and doesn't need anything fancy on her computer.

That said, I'm still concerned about the processor and overheating stuff some folks brought up earlier. Are these drawbacks worth it? Can they be mitigated or negated? Would a 420 knock this out the park?

Wait, I'm getting a bit confused and mixing remarks based on the two laptops I'm looking at.

One in OP: Reliable retailer, no lock/software stuff, workable ram, apparently a weak processor and overheating issues, no comment on upgradability, cheap

Other one: Looks good from normal seller photos, no lock/software either, good ram and easy to upgrade, highly recommended model, not far off double the cost

>Would a 420 knock this out the park?
yes, even more if you upgrade the cpu later

And are cpu upgrades as easy and cheap as for RAM? If so I may just sack the two-for-one offer and grab that second hand 420.

Yes, 4 screws to remove palmrest, 4 screws to remove cpu fan, take old cpu, put new cpu, done.

No bios mods or anything else than a screwdriver and thermal paste needed.

That's definitely promising. What sort of CPU would I be looking at to replace ?

Oh forgot about the cheap part. They're not cheap though, it's like buying a brand new/used cpu for a desktop basically but being the mobile version instead.

i7 2630qm, 2670qm or 2720qm, anything past that would be overheat territory imo.

There's a video of a guy upgrading a t420 to a i7 2670qm on youtube if you want to get an idea.

master race core duo