How the fuck do I even learn a programming language?

How the fuck do I even learn a programming language?

All beginner learning materials I've found always mention something THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT AND THEY NEVER EXPLAIN WHAT IT IS OR WHAT IT DOES.
Would someone be kind enough to help me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY
en.cppreference.com/w/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yes.

google and stackoverflow
good luck

What's a variable?

youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY

Anything you don't understand, you google.

I think the best time to learn is when you actually have something you want to make.

For me, I kept finishing tutorials and shit and then feeling like there was so much I didn't even know I didn't know.

For instance, I wanted to write a driver to use my Dualshock 4 on win10 without having to jump through so many hoops but I don't know what that entails at all.

this, it's impossible for any book to explain everything, every little function and library and shit. Follow the book. When you get to a point where you don't understand something, fucking google it, all the answers are out there.

Well what kind of learner are you, visual, audio, or kinesthetic ?

learncpp.com is a tutorial for the absolute beginner.

I was lost, till this guy explained psuedocode...
just grab a piece of paper and write down what the big picture of what you are trying to do.. then break it down into tiny pieces... and those pieces are just going to get smaller and smaller till you understand.
When you dont know...look it up.
RTFML
read the fucking manual.

> I think the best time to learn is when you actually have something you want to make.

This. To code is like a new language, grammar helps, classes help, but unless you start talking/reading, you won't get too far.

It happens with everything.

What if the googled answer makes me google 3 other things? And then 6? Then 12?

the you are doing research, I guess.

User Google, buy a Book Urlaub fcking cunt

Community college, codecademy, freecodecamp.com, you have so many options.

The extension of the tree of links go have to go through is a measure parameter of your ignorance...

>I think the best time to learn is when you actually have something you want to make.

I think that's actually the worst way to learn because then you are focused on a goal that is very far away. You should instead learn to understand. Focus on the process.

Read a fucking book you cunt.

YouTube videos don't teach you shit.

This will help a ton. You're not gonna be able to memorize every detail of any programming language, so learn the basics, then learn how to do each piece of what you're trying to accomplish. Do this over and over again, try to do something new with every program you create.

this. if you find yourself treeing links, you're a little too over your head

thats like a basic rule all things Sup Forums

Books. Books aimed for complete beginners. There are seriously no online resources that actually are going to teach you to program and why you are doing different stuff. Especially if you have to ask on Sup Forums.

Just go to school nigger. I took classes in high school and now I'm taking classes in CC

>classes in high school
Bad idea depending where u live tho
I was at a new school about 5 years old and they offered programming classes, and the teacher couldn't teach for shit cause he was a tennis coach.

WHAT THE FUCK IS A LIBRARY?

I google "What is a main function?"
>The main function is called at program startup after initialization of the non-local objects..
I google "What is an object?"
In computer science, an object can be a variable, a data structure, or a function or a method, and as such, is a location in memory having a value and possibly referenced by an identifier.
"What is a variable?"
>In computer programming, a variable or scalar...
"WHAT IS A SCALAR?"

I think the best way to do it is have multiple books that inadvertently cross-reference. Such as finding 3 books, and reading all 3 about "pointers". They will likely explain things differently, show different applications, and it's inadvertently going to explain more than a single 'definition' would.
Also high-end programming is typically done through documentation, not explanation. Such website as en.cppreference.com/w/ it's pretty hard to /learn/ on but once you figure what things mean you can "learn" yourself by experimenting.

You are supposed to know what a scalar is, come back when you're 18

Yeah my C course in high school was "taught" by the football couch.

He pretty much just browsed the berf while we took online tests.

>How the fuck do I even learn a programming language?
it's like when you begin doing pushups for the first time, your arms get destroyed, but if you keep doing it anyway, you will see guaranteed results

Just get "The C programmign language" by Kernighan & Ritchie.

They explain everything pretty much from the scratch.