/pcbg/- PC Building General

**Consider 3000MHz DDR4 in your new build**

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

-If you see any other build advice or part list threads, please politely direct them here.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/MMBjHN
wwwDOTeuronicsDOTee/t-en/73258/desktops/desktop-computer-aegis-msi/aegis-008eu
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gzbKXH
youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4
pcpartpicker.com/list/wQC6D8
pcpartpicker.com/product/RzfmP6/pny-internal-hard-drive-ssd7cs1311120rb?history_days=60
amazon.com/dp/B01B4NUKUG/ref=twister_B01BWE9GOI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/product/cgbkcf/asus-motherboard-maximusviiiextremeassembly
pcpartpicker.com/product/xgkD4D/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a85xnwifi
pcpartpicker.com/product/Fn7CmG/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170hd3
ocz.com/us/ssd/vt180-ssd#specs
amazon.com/Toshiba-Desktop-7200rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B013JPLOQQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473454574&sr=1-1&keywords=toshiba hdd
coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-maker-92/
phononic.com/hex/
pcpartpicker.com/list/dKTYNN
pcpartpicker.com/user/Artillerychimp/saved/2ZBD3C
amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-Trion-Internal-TRN150-25SAT3-240G/dp/B01B4NUKMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473463697&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba ssd 240
pcpartpicker.com/list/Cm8FgL
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=185
pcpartpicker.com/list/JNrvjc
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=113
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How does this build look for a first timer?

pcpartpicker.com/list/MMBjHN

wwwDOTeuronicsDOTee/t-en/73258/desktops/desktop-computer-aegis-msi/aegis-008eu

Tell me guys how hard I'm about to get jewed?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gzbKXH

thoughts?

very good. maybe check some other cases for better airflow, cable management or more silent.

>GTX 970
>€1300
extremely jew'd.

Looks fine.

good if you really want that platinum rating but remember it's mostly efficiency, not quality difference from. a gold rated psu would be more than enough.

also get faster ram (3000mhz+), you do get a noticeable difference with the new skylake memory controller

Thanks for quick responce bro! Is GTX 970 4gb alright for gaming? Will I be able to run modern gayms at 60 fps?

it is still good but there is no fucking point buying one brand new unless it's very cheap, that PC you linked is overpriced because you can get the same CPU, storage/ssd and everything but with a much better GPU like a 1070 for the same price if you build it yourself.

Alright I will. Looks like time to build new pc by myself. I mean it can't be that hard. Even idiot like me will be able to do it, r-right?

it's lego for big boys.

youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4

i think.. i think im done. thanks for the recommendations on getting a PSU

i figured i could throw in these 2 fans for 7 bucks as well

pcpartpicker.com/list/wQC6D8

what do you guys think? im going for a quality budget pc

Get 16GB ram 2 x 8 people say it's a meme but it's not.

I got s slight boost in fps by simply overclocking my 1600Mhz DDR3 to 2200Mhz. I wish I had got the 24Mhz back in 2014 but everyone was saying it was a meme.

shit build. get cheaper amd cpu mobo psu and get an amd 470/480 gpu instead

>red led fans
please dont.

who? i havent seen anyone in the last 5 threads.

define "slight boost"
fast DDR3 RAM was a meme because it was at most 5 FPS difference

amd is dead until zen, and then might still be dead if it doesnt deliver

theyre not red they just show up as red in the picture

dont worry im not an edgy teenager :c]

Can I put an old hard drive in a fresh, new computer (that doesn't have a hard drive) and it boot up with windows 10 and not need to reformat?

I've only done fresh everything before, never a mixed build

No

it's hit or miss cus you need to fix the drivers otherwise it wont start.

it's better to just reinstall from scratch instead of fucking around with that shit.

Would this explode

Switch to a 1070 and its a 1180€ build

Best low cost, reliable SSD?

It's being used for a windows office PC; capacity is not a concern at all. I just want something cheap and reliable.

I've been recommended this:
pcpartpicker.com/product/RzfmP6/pny-internal-hard-drive-ssd7cs1311120rb?history_days=60
Because it's a 120gb with a 240gb controller.

Do you think this one is good, if not, what else instead?

PSU included with the case is meh-tier.
get 3000+ mhz ram for nice fps boost.
gtx 1080 is 50% more expensive and 20% faster than 1070, the choice is up to you.
never heard of that cpu cooler before. doesnt look very good (heatsink smaller than the fan). get cryorig h7 or hyper 212 evo
that kingston ssd is meh. get samsung 850 or intel 540 instead.

adata, crucial, ocz, sandisk. depending on what's available in your region. i dont know about PNY, check hardware review sites to see if that model you linked is any good.

toshiba.

amazon.com/dp/B01B4NUKUG/ref=twister_B01BWE9GOI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

if you can beat these prices and this quality you need to post that shit asap so i can snag one

fuck me i want a 500GB one so i dont have to put games on my HDD but i have to buy a new mouse too.... fuuuuuuuuck i need more money

i need a motherboard with wifi

bonus points if its mATX

pcpartpicker.com/product/cgbkcf/asus-motherboard-maximusviiiextremeassembly

check /csg/, the kingdian drives are like $30

fuck off and learn how to read, nigger. he said he wanted something decently reliable.

pcpartpicker.com/product/xgkD4D/gigabyte-motherboard-gaf2a85xnwifi

>SSDs
>easy to fuck up
>unreliable
pick one, it's 2016

also
>nigger
is it 2007 Sup Forums

pcbg rate this motherboard pls, it just went on sale so I might buy my first piece of the build today

pcpartpicker.com/product/Fn7CmG/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170hd3

Not him but I have a similar situation.

Is there no way to use my old harddrive and files for my new build? I need to completely reformat and reinstall windows?

you done good son. i like the nvidia more than amd but thats argument has been going on for years

check out these ssds im looking at right now

ocz.com/us/ssd/vt180-ssd#specs

you can find them on amazon for cheaper than samsung if youre trying to save maybe 50 bucks or something

if youre planning on overclocking get a different mobo. get the asus one

while im posting about storage and saving money

amazon.com/Toshiba-Desktop-7200rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B013JPLOQQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1473454574&sr=1-1&keywords=toshiba hdd

1tb more for the same price

>chinkshit ssd
>reliable
pick one, any year.

google a hardware review or two and read the conclusion parts.

depends what the files are. if it's installed programs, you are better off reinstalling those.
if it's documents, pictures and videos just put them on another HDD or USB drive/external HDD.
or you can make a partition if you dont have any of the above, move shit to that and reinstall windows on the other partition, then merge parts.

I've done it a couple of times before. You have to manually select the drive on startup if there's a primary drive with an OS on it and once it starts you'll find you just need to install the new drivers. If that doesn't work you could try safe mode.

it's better to unplug secondary drives while installing windows

>i need a motherboard with wifi
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a PCIe Wi-fi adapter instead. "Built-in" Wi-fi motherboards (they're just mPCIe cards that you can swap out) tend to use the cheapest Chinese no-name NIC that craps out or have shitty drivers. Being able to choose and install your own wi-fi adapter is infinitely more useful.

My plan was to just use my old harddrive and not get a new one. So it'd be my only drive. Would it still be possible to try this, and just install the new drivers from the disc or from their website or something?

You can, just be sure to download the drivers before you move the drive over since you won't have Ethernet drivers. As others have said it may be better to a fresh install but is not necessary if no problems show up moving over.

Building a new computer and have a few parts.

Are there different sizes of desktop ram, I mean like physical differences between ddr3 and 4 or dual channel memory? It's not fitting, never ran into that problem

>physical differences between ddr3 and 4
Notch locations are different to prevent idiots like you from mix-and-matching incompatible memory with incompatible memory controllers. They are both dual-channel capable, just follow your motherboard's instructions on how to run a pair of DIMMs in dual channel mode.

I am the biggest dummy

>Newegg Canada
>It's been two entire business days
>Still haven't shipped my shit

Why tho?... It's 4 items, but still, the graphics card I bought from the states, on the same site, at the same time has already shipped... The payments got approved, it was paypal!

Were all items in stock?
Contact support and ask. Why do you expect us to know?

Ya they're all in stock.

I feel like it's actually just the Puralator tracking number that doesn't work, like it is delayed or something. I was hoping other people had similar experiences.

I bought some DDR4 from them last week and it came very fast.

Actually it even says it shipped.
But the tracking number has nothing.

Contact newegg if you want to be able to track, otherwise just sit back and wait.

is OP's image a troll?

Do you know how to google?

This
coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-maker-92/
Or this
phononic.com/hex/
Or the usual Noctua Dual fan meme (if they even make one that has 92mm fans)?

no do you?

Yes. Learn it and you will find your answer.

noctua has smaller coolers but they're not dual fans. an AIO cooler like the other two is probably better if you dont have space around the CPU but can put something like a 120mm somewhere else.

why does it have to be 92mm if it's not even going to be on the mobo?

No place to mount a 120mm fan, let alone a 120mm AIO

what case?
which sides is limiting your options?
do you have space for something like this pic?

>what case?
Some shitty Rosewill mATX case that cost $20.
>which sides is limiting your options?
Literally all of them. The biggest fan you can mount is a 92mm fan on the rear. The front is blocked by a cheap RIVETED HDD cage.
>do you have space for something like this pic?
Fuck flat coolers.

>Some shitty Rosewill mATX case that cost $20.
be more specific

>92mm fan on the rear
>the rear
>the front
and what about the fucking area right above the CPU? why are you only mentioning the case fan positions and not the CPU cooler fan?

You see how high that GPU's rear bracket it? That's pretty much how tall the inside of the case is. That fits a 92mm fan at the rear, which is indicative of what size cooler you can probably fit in there.

Anybody know of a solid z170 motherboard? Seems like theres too many to choose from. Don't need any 'gayman edition' bullshit

then get a cooler like but with a regular thick 120mm fan.

>Don't need any 'gayman edition' bullshit
what if i told you about one branded as "gaming" but is exactly what you want?

Gigabyte z170m xGAMINGEDITIONx

I dont care how its branded, I just dont want to pay a premium for said branding. But I'll take what ever suggestion you have into consideration

I don't know what happened, maybe because I clicked customer services it pushed a notification to Puralator to track my shit. Or Puralator doesn't update until 5:30 pm but the tracking numbers updated, both packages aren't very far away.

Even the shipped from usa one!

MSI Gaming M3 or M5.

witnessed

pcpartpicker.com/list/dKTYNN

final iteration, gonna start buying tonight
anything that's too shit?

Bronze, gold, which power supply should I get?

Depending on how much you want to OC, maybe a motherboard with good MOSFETs and power phases.
Rest is good.

Seasonic gold.

Bronze is ultra low end shit, so no reason to get it these days unless it's all you can afford.

>Bronze is ultra low end shit
lolno. 80+ is not a reliability and quality rating, it's for efficiency.

just bought a 1060

cheaped out on everything except that and a i5-6500, I guess once I get some more money I'll replace the mobo/psu

pcpartpicker.com/user/Artillerychimp/saved/2ZBD3C

First build, played consoles only for all my life
How will this compare?

It is. It's not efficient to create a high quality 80+ bronze unit today, because the component cost will push it into 80+ gold territory of prices anyway.
80+ bronze means old group regulated design, the only reason anyone would produce those is to make a cheap low quality unit. The highest quality units at 80+ bronze rating you can still buy are ones like Seasonic M12 EVO, and those aren't that great in terms of price. They are really expensive actually. For 80+ bronze.

You can start thinking about the G-series at that price, which are low end gold units.

that's retarded. enjoy wasting money. should have saved up more before buying and got decent stuff from the start.

>LGA1150
old.
>wifi
shit for gaming.
>EVGA builder
meh.

stop pulling bullshit out of your ass

feel like saving 30 bucks?

amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-Trion-Internal-TRN150-25SAT3-240G/dp/B01B4NUKMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473463697&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba ssd 240

i have a question. unless im gaming, which im not, do i really need a graphics card? the most "gaming" i do is a few games of hearthstone every couple days. i also like watching youtube vids and netflixing

would the i3-6100 do the job well enough on its own

wow someone's in a bad mood today

>not gaming ... do i need graphics card
No. the integrated graphics on Intel CPU is more than enough.

Try making an argument to refute what I'm saying instead of running your mouth. I already know you're clueless on the topic, you might as well just not post if you're not even gonna bother to fake knowledge.

Hey guys, first time builder here. Trying to get something for general use/gaming that could last for a bit before needing upgrading, and ended up with this: pcpartpicker.com/list/Cm8FgL
What do you think?

Try posting proof of your claims and knowledge of PSU manufacturing.

Why? You're not going to find any high quality bronze units on the market at competitive prices. It's a meaningless argument. You're saying it's not a measure of quality because theoretically a high quality bronze PSU can exist, but it doesn't because it's not cost efficient to produce.

The Seasonic M12II EVO which is the best I know of still being produced is expensive unless discounted.

Do I understand this correctly:

You can run Windows 7 on a GPT hard drive (larger than 2 TB) if you have a UEFI motherboard...?

And a H110 is a UEFI motherboard, I think. So I'm good? I don't understand any of these words :/ I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I'm not very smart.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=185

KYS

its not that youre dumb. youre new to all these terms. try not to be so hard on yourself we all started somewhere

>pcpartpicker.com/list/JNrvjc
How's this list for World of Warcraft, a little bit of Twitch streaming, and some light video editing? I want it to be cheap as possible.
Would switching to an fx 8350 be a good choice for the multi-core capable tasks? I hear in video editing (with a bit of a hefty OC) it does beat the 6500.
Case would've been the nzxt s340, except that I need more hard drive bays in the future.

What do you Sup Forumsuys think? Im willing to spend another $100-$150 if needed

CPU - i5 6600k
Cooler - Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - MSI Z170A GAMING M3
RAM - 8GB DDR4-3200
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB
GPU - GTX 1070
Case - Fractal Design Define R5
PSU - Corsair CX750M (already have one of these laying around)

$1117.72

>Would switching to an fx 8350 be a good choice for the multi-core capable tasks?

no

>I hear in video editing (with a bit of a hefty OC) it does beat the 6500.

maybe for CPU encoding

Pretty good except for that Rosewill PSU.
You can get a 2TB Hitachi HDD for almost the same price.
For light video editing it's not a big deal i5 vs FX.

Get 2x8GB RAM and you're good.

What about it? It's a low end cheapo PSU they've been making for years now. It's not a high quality PSU. It's the lowest quality you can expect from Seasonic retail.

The only thing out of the ordinary it has is Japanese caps, but Seasonic literally always uses those. It's just a standard group regulated unit designed to be cheap for the mainstream consumer, nothing interesting about it.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=113
This is what a quality 80+ bronze unit looks like.

skip the windows 10 license, the dvd burner and upgrade to a gtx 1060.

As a side note the case is pretty ugly.

but user what am i going to do with 16GB of RAM?

Doing ni/g/ger things

if that antec one is so much better why does the one i linked have almost identical score?

this

Caching. RAMdisk.

Thoughts on this case?
Seems like a nice mini-tower case aside from that logo, but it has a listed max CPU cooler height of 155mm (212 evo is 159mm).

I don't know much about low profile coolers versus some basic h100i sorta clc.
What are your preferences?

what's wrong with the Rosewill psu? It's semi-modular, has some decent reviews. It's normally $70, it's on sale for $50 currently, and has a $15 rebate to boot. Seems like a fantastic fuckin deal.

Builder Sup Forumsents!

I need some help with temperatures. I built my machine the other day and I'm worried that heat might be an issue (I'm waiting for two 120mm fans to arrive and only have a single 92mm chassis fan right now).

In pic related are current temps when I run iGPU and have Nvidia GTX 1070 disabled.

CPU max temp recorded was: 127F yet come cores went up to 190F. Why is there a discrepancy between these two figures?

What's a safe CPU temp? What should I set my alarm at?

And notice how iGPU temp is at 122F when I;m browsing around... and notice the max was 189F. How the fuck do I cool iGPU? Heatsink on it so damn small and there's no fan on it.

Also, how do I help my GTX 1070 stay cool?

Help is much appreciated! I'm a fucking noob.

First time build. Trying to get it under $700, while keeping it decent for gaming and some multi-tasking, maybe a little bit of 3d rendering. Currently it's at about $760, before taxes and shipping of course.

Any advice on where some money could be saved in this build? I'm thinking the Mobo and Storage could be brought down, though I'm fairly set on a SSD and the Samsung offering seems like a great deal. Is the i5 6500 necessary, or could I get away with an i3 6300 without needing to upgrade in 2 years? Also, the prices shown are slightly higher because I'm Canadian :`(

Also, SuperBiiz...is that site legit? Seems way to low compared to everything else out there.