Are there any phones coming out in the future like the Sony Z5 Compact?

Are there any phones coming out in the future like the Sony Z5 Compact?

I'm tired of the phablet meme. Ever since my first smartphone, the Nexus One, phones have been getting larger and larger. I'm tired of it. I just want a nice, mid to high-end phone at or under 5 inches. But even the Nexus line seems to have abandoned that philosophy, and it doesn't look like Sony is planning on making a new one.

>inb4 fits in my hand ;)

>Spotted the handlet.

I also don't like phablets.
I don't really see a need or practical reason for such a big phone.

It's not just that.

The battery life is slated to be worse because of "muh pixel density." I hate the feeling of a large glass slab on my face. It makes the phone heavier - not like it's that big of a deal but my lighter phones had no issue surviving a fall while some of my heavier ones always choked.

It's just become bothersome for me when I already carry around either a laptop or tablet when I need something else. The Nexus 4 and 5 were perfect sizes for me. I'd still be using them if the battery wasn't so shit (although my G4 has shit battery life now so whatever)

Nexus 5x is a pretty good size

Rumor is the new Nexus phone coming out next month is going to be 5 inches flat

That would be cool. My G4 is my first non-nexus phone in a long time. I didn't go with Google because there's no excuse for them to not be giving SD Storage on a phone touted as "a developer handset!" (if that's even true anymore.)

It's only slightly bigger than my N5, but it feels just so much more uncomfortable to use. The fine line was crossed for me.

If they Revive what I loved about the N5, but make some good improvements, I'll buy it come Christmas time. The G4 is a ticking time bomb anyways

Most smartphones today are 5,2" or smaller. That's the standard, simply because the average hand will have problems with a larger device.

Get something that size and man up nigger

iPhone SE is a great small phone

Same processor as 6s, same camera as 6s (front camera is shit but who cares) and amazing battery life

Honestly, I'd totally consider getting an SE if I wasn't so in bed with android now. I just like what it offers me.

My dad has the iphone 4 though after ruining his iphone 6. Insurance would have covered it I guess, but he realized he just liked how his iphone 4 felt.

Unlike me, he has pretty big hands. I don't hate anybody who wants a big phone, but I just think it's dumb how most phones now a days have to be above 5.5 inches to be high end.

Yeah I agree. I have a 6s and I think it's the biggest I'd go

I often see people saying that after they upgrade to a larger phone they could not stand to use such a small (4-inch) screen. I guess there's also the silly mentality that since everyone is using large-display phones you would feel insecure using a small phone in comparison.

I'm using an xperia z5c and absolutely love it.
This phone is an absolute beast.
>micro sd card
>two day battery life (three with first level stamina mode on, hardly makes a difference with performance and usage)
>most bloatware can be uninstalled
>fingerprint sensor done right
>sexy as fuck phone, don't use a case
>waterproof
>NFC
>3.5mm jack (this is now a note worthy feature)

Honestly the other day I was getting low battery and I went to see what applications I had open. I had 25+ applications and 20+ google search tabs open. It wasn't noticeable because the phone never lags. Most computers lag out at that point. 10/10 rating from me.

I just picked up a galaxy S7 and can't stand it.

I was due for an upgrade and only had to pay tax, so I went for something nice. My main reason for getting it though, was I needed a phone asap and it was the smallest one in 2 stores that wasn't going to choke on android OS and typical apps in a year. Even then it's way too wide, and I worry about doing anything active with it for fear of destroying the thing. It's like no one makes practical shit anymore.

I use a z3 myself and the performance on this thing is just fucking amazing. I open a fuckton of apps and they never reload nor do the phone lags. Plus the battery is outstanding. It's my first xperia and I love it.

Your hands are tiny. Got it.

What's wrong with small hands? I'm a girl btw

>I'm a girl

Hello, m'lady

Fucker stealing my post.

The only thing I dislike about my Z3C is the little cover you have to pry off to access the MicroUSB port. After a year mine has gotten difficult to close correctly, so it's sometimes ajar. Maybe I should just pony up for the magnetic dock.

Literally its direct successor, the Sony X Compact.

Isn't it a wrose Z compact though?

Thats what i thought. I think its a little stronger and a little bigger than the z5c. Only 50 bucks more on Amazon right now though.

650 benchmarks a little below the 810 but I guess I was expecting like 820 type in the compact x.

>more expensive
>still 720p
>snapdragon 620
>not waterproof
>subjectively inferior design (XA is what it should look like IMO)

Same here OP. The OG Moto X was fucking perfect. Perfect size, good battery life. There is a new moto coming soon. Moto M or something? Other than that, I'm waiting for the new Nexus.

I'm a trap and can't use any phone larger than 4" without using both hands. I just end up getting large phones since I'm going to use 2 hands anyway.

>hurr small hands
I could use my fucking nexus 7 single handed, niggers. Doesn't mean i want to be walking around holding a fucking 24" computer monitor to my head.

4.5-4.7" in 1080p is all you need in a phone, period.

>4.5-4.7" in 1080p

720p is plenty for that screen size

next iPhone SE, iPhone 7, 7s, 8, etc
and there will soon be xperia X compact i think

i personally still use iphone 4s

Whilst I disagree that it should have looked like the XA (think it's perfect as it is), the X Compact is a seriously disappointing phone. Had the Z3C for a while, currently using the Z5C, and these specs are depressing. The Compact line was supposed to be flagship specs in a compact form, not a smaller and shittier phone than the flagship.

Will pick up the XZ regardless, though. I'm a Sony shill.

then wait for the next SE compact, or get the current one, or hope the next galaxy s series compact is worth a damn. alternatively, man up

my girlfriend has the standard z5 with a devilcase(so 5.2'' with some added heft) and her only complaint is that it doesn't fit in size 6 jeans pockets, size is not an issue for usage

I have the dock but it's a pain in the ass to hook up so I got one of those magnetcor things instead. I had concerns about the magnet being too strong because someone on amazon apparently had his magnet charging port pulled outta their phone, but a year and a half later it's still fine

>doesn't fit in size 6 jeans pockets, size is not an issue for usage

Fitting in pockets is part of usage.
Even my small-ish phone is uncomfortable.
It's actually easier for girls because they have purses mostly.

After using a 6 inch phone i cant go back to use anything under it

sorry I guess you're right, we do have access to a sewing machine so what we did was cut her pockets open and made bigger pockets on the inside

Size is kind of an issue for me. It's just not comfortable to hold in one hand for me. I don't have a good grip and have to strain my thumb across the screen to text. I think I'm a pretty quick texter at 60 WPM, but I just can't do it with one hand on my newer phones. Swiftkey compact makes it a little more comfortable, but it sucks having to shift back and forth, and the phone is so long that I can feel it sometimes wanting to pop out of my hand if I have a loose grip on it.

how do you feel about no more 4k videos or no more 120fps videos? because that happened too.

how do you feel about a 28nm cpu in 2016 that not only isnt faster than the z3c, but also isnt less power demanding

how do you feel about having less for a higher price in general? what's the point of them selling this phone, they could just sell the z5c and it would be a better phone for less of a price. sony kinda went to shit, i wonder if they cut money away from their smartphone department

Also I just had a thought.

I was reading reviews on the z5c. and it seemed a common complaint was "oh it's only 720p"

Now, my Nexus 4 died a long time ago, but i don't remember upgrading to my Nexus 5 and thinking that my life was much improved. My G4 was noticeably crisper, but if you put two good screens of a slightly lower ppi, I probably wouldn't notice the difference.

What's with this "MUH SUPER HD SCREENS IN MUH TINY PHONES" meme? It seems like such a stupid waste of power. I'm sitting here using a 1368 x 768 x220, I used a 1440 x 900 17 incher for a long time, and now use a 1920 x 1200 24 inch Dell u2415H.

Are you telling me that something twice the ppi of my super crisp monitor isn't good enough on a screen a quarter of the size? I get that it helps keep fonts super crisp, but it sounds like hocus pocus to me.

Somebody who has a working N4 or Z3c/Z5c should shed some light if you have a phone with a super high ppi screen to compare it to. It sounds like marketing to me.

>bigfoot

>What's with this "MUH SUPER HD SCREENS IN MUH TINY PHONES" meme?
Complete and utter bullshit in order to cater to normies is what it is.

Back in January I went from a Nexus 4 to a Lumia 950. 1280x768 to 2560x1440.
While the screen on the 950 is great, it's certainly not thanks to the resolution. Sure, it's slightly sharper than the Nexus 4 was, but it's not really that noticeable unless I'm holding the phone right up to my eyes. In normal use it's what the fuck ever.
Frankly, I would have preferred 1280x720 over 2560x1440. This stupidly high resolution is nothing but a waste of processing power and battery life.

its all marketing, just like people here are already all brainwashed that phones under 5.2" are for manlet. if you came here 3 years ago, EVERYONE would be arguing that 5" is fucking gorilla nigger size.

as for the screen, i can compare it to a 1080p nexus 5(") and i can tell the nexus is crisper, obviously. but that doesnt mean 720p on 4.6" looks bad.

its ok, and not ok as if 'just enough', ok as if 'no need to fix'. it works well, draws less power and puts no strain or looks bad in any possible way. sony should keep using 720p forever on the compact line, unlike every review site that says 'shit sony what are you doing still using 720p, you should join the marketing asap'

i kinda respected sony for making phones like they wanted to, and not like the market told them to. and indeed the compact line up to now was amazing

720p is more than enough. It's probably twice (or more) the dpi of your current monitor and the viewing distance is only half of that, if that. It's not linear though.

Are high-res displays really a power drain?
I understand that iOS does bullshit like blurs and such but on Android and Windows, the UI consists of flat rectangles and the occasional circle.

If I was American I'd get a $200 iPhone SE right away. Perfect phone... except for the OS

>Are high-res displays really a power drain?
Yes.
More pixels equals more power draw.
More pixels also equals more processing power required to draw said pixels.
Thus, higher resolution means less battery life and either worse performance or upscaling in shit like video games, something that actually is noticeable in the form of blurry lines. I've found that games that run at native resolution on my Nexus 4 look better than their upscaled versions (pic related) on my 950.

That said, the 950 does get decent average-ish battery life with its 3000 mAh battery, but I can only wonder how much longer it would last with a lower resolution display.