Prebuilt PCs

Is there ANY company, or ANY circumstance where buying a prebuilt is acceptable?

My brother just bought this:
bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-vr-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-black-blue/5374304.p?id=bb5374304&skuId=5374304&ref=199&loc=je6NUbpObpQ&acampID=1&siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-AhICqSJOnu_vWjalQEB58g

And initially all I did for an hour straight was lecture him on how he wasted his money, but when I checked the specs and parts, I came only $75 under what he paid to build it myself

The shittiest part seems to be his power supply.

So is there any circumstance where it's okay to buy prebuilt?

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/467635/G313_Desktop_Computer
pcpartpicker.com/list/6m74M8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you have the money and are busy with job/family/other social responsibilities, sure.

but generally i'd recommend a boutique builder who can do any component you ask for.

AVAdirect, Falcon northwest, etc, etc.

The only circumstance is if you had no arms to build it yourself

I know of several guys who bought Cyberpower computers and had good experiences. Their customer service is pretty awesome. One guy had a bad outlet and was a complete tard and wouldn't use a surge protector. He fried 3 and they paid for shipping both ways every time.

spend that 75 on chinese food and someone to build it for you and not get a ticking timebomb psu

thinly veiled bait thread for retards who are retarded to build your own computer and want Sup Forums to justify your purchase

You're paying roughly 100 dollars more for it a prebuilt than the hardware is worth, i'd say it's not bad because it comes with a warranty and you don't have to build it.

bought a prebuilt syber vapor console with i5 6600, 16gb ram, gtx 1070, 2 tb hard drive and windows 10 installed for 950+tax after discounts, my experience with them has been good

I just did a rough calculation.

That build is worth roughly $750.

>i5 $200
>mobo ~$50
>ram ~$40
>gpu ~$350
>hdd ~$40
>psu ~$30
>case ~$20
>keyboard/mouse ~$20

In this scenario, it looks like OP is paying roughly $350 more. Give/Take $50

Built the exact same thing in mini itx meme for 800 including windows. Just build it. You've go t to be retarded to fuck it up and it only takes a couple hours.

>mobo ~$50
are you high?

Where are you finding an 1151 motherboard new for that price? It might not be Z170, but it's still a at least a ~$100+ motherboard.

Take about 50-100 dollars off because of the custom case. Even though it looks like yet another shitty gaymour case, companies would likely charge 100 or so for it.

>>gpu ~$350
>>i5 $200

The i5 is $230 and the cheapest 1070 right now is $400. I have seen a few around $380, but not lower.

you forgot windows 10 and your other calculations are massively low. you are retarded i looked at how much it would cost if i built it my self and it was like 100 more than what i bought it for

>i5 $200
$230
>mobo ~$50
$100
>GPU ~$350
$400
>case ~$20
$75-100
>OS
$100

So that's ~$1000. Your estimate sucked.

I used to get great deals at Alienware because the family owns a company that contracts through Dell that actually ended up only ~$200 more than building myself. Was worth it if a part failed because priority service would come to my house and fix it with a new part the next day on the spot.

Can't get anything close to that kind of deal anymore.

only when the prebuilt pc cost almost as much as a DIY one. Like microcenter.com/product/467635/G313_Desktop_Computer

Pretty much for any occasion except when you ''''need'''' the latest meme graphics card.

Your calculation is wrong unless you are buying secondhand and pirating the OS.

Don't even need to pirate the OS windows 10 is still free.

In here, bulk hardware sellers (think local newegg), if you ask em, will assemble the PC, for free, from the components you chose (no "recommended" components bullshit, you get what you choose). Simply as a matter of competetive advantage - and it also reduces returns/warranty claims a bit.

You mean this isn't the standard in the first world?

I mean this isn't a TERRIBLE PC for the price. For some, the inherent warranty provided with getting a pre-built is enough to put up with the cost.

Some will some wont, most places would charge a service fee of $50-100 to assemble it, and the cable management will be next to non-existent.

Yeah the cheap ones from microcenter can be pretty good sometimes.

>Z170
>6600k
>500w B quality PSU
>16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
>480GB SSD
>GTX 1070
>Hyper 212 EVO cooler
>Windows 10
$1000

Good luck beating that without some good sales and probably pirating the OS or buying it off reddit for cheap.

Yea my only concern with pre-built are usually their garbage tier power supplies and even worse motherboards. While the EVGA 500B and MSI PC-Mate motherboard won't exactly win awards for their greatness, they're far from trash. $1k is actually quite good.

>Is there ANY company, or ANY circumstance where buying a prebuilt is acceptable?
When they're on sale because they aren't moving stock. I bought an FX-8370 prebuilt with a R9 290 graphics card for $500 and warranty was covered for all the parts by CyperPower. I can't get down to that price even when using a Micro Center for the board-CPU combo.

Sloppy. At least with the 2 biggest retailers (small european non-country), you get decent cabling, but only cheap zip ties - if you want reusable velcro ties, those will cost extra.

Not bad. Do they give warranty per component, or do they insist you bring the whole pc (which blows, as you cant just put a spare part in and keep using it).

How much do these cyberpower faggots pay you shills? And who in their right mind would choose this board of all for shilling? Are you retarded?

That PC is not worth anywhere near what they are charging. You could build a better PC for far cheaper.

Yes. Laptops and tablets.

Usually have to bring in the entire pc. They want their own guys to look at it to ensure they're not say giving you another video card based on your say so when in fact, it was the PSU at fault.

If you buy the components separately, you can get a warranty per part and return them by themselves if need be.

I had an i5-4690k /Z97 setup. The board had one of its sata ports die. Had this setup since devils canyon launch.

Returned board and cpu as well even though it still worked. They asked why, I told them literally "new stuff is out. This cpu doesn't fit the new stuff. I'm not going to buy old tech that might just break again anyway."

Got $390 back for my return they had a sale on skylake stuff at the time. $260 for an i7-6700k. Got that, Asus z170 board, and 32GB ddr4-2400mhz for $470 at the door. Microcenter is pretty based imo.

Maybe if you don't have time and whoever it's for doesn't care about who made it. I'd buy a prebuilt for my mom if I was busy and couldn't build one for her, but she lives near a BB and a Frys so she'd probably prefer $800-$900 on a new prebuilt in a day rather than wait for me to come home and build one for her over time if I can get the parts.

>Is there ANY company, or ANY circumstance where buying a prebuilt is acceptable?

Because you don't want to increase the demand for new parts? That shit's bad for the environment. People burn through hardware upgrades every few months, and just trash their old parts because they totally won't end up in a landfill or anything.

I just grab old prebuilt machines and outfit them with whatever recycled hardware I've accumulated over the years.

>gaymin PCs

I don't really care for anything after sixth-gen, and used PS2s are cheap.

You can pick up XPS 8900's off Dell Outlet that are cheaper than what you can build yourself. $550 for an i7 6700.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6m74M8

Its basically this.

~820

>pay for windows os

>Microcenter is pretty based imo
Reminds me of my friend who got a 28" 1080p monitor there for like $260 like a year ago, he got a 1 year warranty with microcenter when he bought it. About 8 months later part of the backlighting just died and made everything look pretty fucked up, so he took it in and they let him exchange it for an Asus PB258Q which he price matched with newegg which had it on sale at the time for $265. They charged him $35 for the $5 more than his old monitor and they made him rebuy a 1 year warranty for $30. So for $35 he went from a 28" 1080p PVA 60hz to a 25" 1440p IPS 60hz.

Microcenter can be based as fuck.

>PB258Q for $265
Reeee I bought mine last month for $330.

I bought a cyber power three years ago during their black Friday sale that was a bit cheaper than buying the parts separately. They had specials where they doubled the ram and hd space, they also had r290s available when it was impossible to find them at a decent price otherwise.

I wouldn't just go out and buy one but sometimes the system builders will have specials that actually makes it a good deal.

Yeah the zotac mini PC

Also the HP gaming deskys are decent

Is there anything you could use from a prebuilt into your new pc that you build?

i5 6500 is just under $200 before taxes. 6400 is under $180. I'm not sure what op's prebuilt example is because all it says is i5.

Mini atx boards are around that price.

The problem is that a lot of people don't even know what to ask for. They get drowned in choice, and hence the prebuilts are attractive to them. They want prebuilts because they don't want to do research outside of "how well does this run [insert game here]?"

OPs is a 6600. Not a bad computer at all if you swap out the power supply

Yes, if you run a company or are self-employed.

Have you ever tried to get tax deductions for your individual components? It's a hassle that takes time, and time = money.

And when you have a small office with 10 PCs, it's cheaper to outsource maintenance to Dell or HP instead of hiring a technician who's on call 24/7.