I bought a dell ultrasharp u2515h and im trying to use dp 1.2 with my r9 290

I bought a dell ultrasharp u2515h and im trying to use dp 1.2 with my r9 290.
But i keep getting black screens every once in a while, i dont know if the problem is related to the monitor or GPU.

Anyone else had this kind of problem before? Also does using 1.2 above 1.1 actually make difference? Because i have no problems when using 1.1

its a known defect of the monitor.

People on the dell forums state its issues with AMDs current CCC and drivers, however i have laptops with both intel and Nvidia Gpus and have the same issue if DP1.2 is enabled to allow daisy chaining.

i also notice that for whatever reason, using the USB hub on the monitor directly affects the frequency of the random 2-3 second black outs.

if DP1.2 is utilized in the display settings, AND i have anything plugged into 1 of the 5 USB ports, it WILL flicker.

Either using DP1.1 standards, or unplugging the USB3 input to the monitor resolves the flickering. Issues DO NOT happen if using HDMI

honestly, I regret the purchase now as 4k monitors from dell are only 20 bucks more than what this 1440p screen retails for on their own website.

I get flickering even if i dont use the USB hubs

Does 1.2 have any advantages over 1.1 in video quality?

could be a problem with the cable
did you try hdmi?

not in the least, DP1.2 only really introduces the ability for daisy chaining.

DP does not offer any visual quality increase over just HDMI for this usage case (which supports up to 60hz 4k)

its well documented with the monitor, its not a cable problem.

Well had the same problem with mine, changed the cable and now it works just fine

Don't buy monitors from a company that outsources everything (including the monitor firmware/software) inside their monitors and which receive absolutely no QC at all.
And don't buy monitors, which do not have time-tested, adhersing correctly to standard, connections

Got dual U2414 here. I used to get tearing, until I increased the minimum GPU clock and mem cycles. Card ran 5-10 deg hotter, but has never screen torn once.

Here's my settings if it helps...

The problem only occurs when using DP1.2 , i have no problems with 1.1

If it doesnt increase the quality whatsoever then ill just stick to 1.1

i tried 4 or 5 cables at work from varying brands. Also tried DP to DP and DP to mDP ports. Did not really change anything.

I wish my docking station had HDMI support, but sadly its only dual link DVI or Dual DP. Thanks dell!

4k at under 36" is retarded, you just GUI scale everything so it fits.

What's the point of going higher res if you lose the extra space? Sure it looks a bit sharper, but I went for 1440p over 1080p because I can have multiple things open at once, I would do the same with 4k. But that advantage is only useful at around 40".

What card

290x

i buy a lot of stuff from dell : they always seem to have decent customer service, someone either comes to my house next day to fix anything wrong with my PC for free, or they ship me the part and let me fix it as i need it. I have no real complaint about dell.

See picture.
Not pictured is my Dell Inspiron 8600 : it has been running for 18 years now without issues.

when you sit in CAD programs all day, you really utilize the higher res without scaling. Autodesk software has this shitty fuck-huge ribbon UI that you could see from the moon @ 4k (hyperbole yes, but it seriously is ugly as shit.)

@2560x1440 the ribbon and side bar in autocad take up ~ 1/3 of the monitors real estate it basically makes the working display port in the program into a little box.

It's not just a Dell monitor problem.

It's a combination of Dell monitors and AMD cards (this happens on my R9 Nano as well, btw).

again : issue also happens for those people with Intel GPU's and Nvidia GPU's.

the AMD thing is just a distraction from the root issue that the online forums seem to have pushed out, its not an official statement from dell.

see screenshot of mine here

>It's a combination of Dell monitors and AMD cards (this happens on my R9 Nano as well

If its true then why the fuck arent both companies doing something about it?

>Autodesk software has this shitty fuck-huge ribbon UI that you could see from the moon @ 4k (hyperbole yes, but it seriously is ugly as shit.)

I fucking hate that ribbon so much.

A while back I was digging through my old shit and found my PC from like 2004 and I decided to check it out. It still had 3DS Max 5 on it, was nice to see copy of 3DS Max without that fucking ribbon.

I can also confirm that the issue also happens with a 2515 and an intel gpu. However it's usually only after I reboot and then I can just quickly unplug/plug the cable and the issue is gone until the next reboot, which is sufficiently infrequent (kernel upgrade) that I don't really mind. Good to know that it's a known issue though.

I am fairly sure that the ribbon UI was introduced in the 2008 time frame for autodesk stuff, around the same time MS started pushing its own ribbon out to all its assorted office products.

I actually like the ribbon functionality in some programs, like office 2007, however for things like autocad where its nice to have a lot of modelspace on screen, its sucks up a lot of real estate. Tasks and such now have different calls in the text driven interface, and the menu sub system sucks inside it.

Things i could churn out in minutes in autocad 2000 now take me 30 minutes to an hour if i have to google how to use the program all the time. Im still rather upset about the changes to autodesk's UI and command calls. It pissed off a lot of people online too it seems : no one uses the ribbon seriously in day to day workflow, they just type everything in anyways.

Dont even get me started about office 2013's UI changes which i assume Autcad is working on implementing as well...

welp there goes my trip, time to make another one

Filtered your new one, too :)