/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation

If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

goldenears.net/board/GR_Earphones/5249023
jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
jamin.sourceforge.net/en/uibasics.html
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1140/4626/files/S015567.pdf?588774706172739029
a.uguu.se/4kavOfrQYfZx_batch_of_measurements.7z
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you recommend a few that I can compile myself and optimize for my specific computer?

just picked these up. Pretty happy so far. Looking for a replacement cable with a straight jack and maybe a sleeved cable or something else neat, but haven't had any luck. Anyone know of some?

At this point I'd recommend using foobar2000 in WINE or whatever Linux users use to run Windows programs. With WINE you can then add the VST plugins with foobar2000.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using Linux in the first place?

>125
>US
>PC
>Circumaral
>Open
>comfy
>HyperX clouds

Might as well post this here as no other audio threads are up. Slapped some absorbers on my walls and measured the response in my room. I have done some re-arrangements to the room so the measurements aren't entirely comparable but you can hear the difference in decay time easily. The absorbers I got don't have an effect on the lows or midrange response.

>Budget
200AUD
>Location
Australia
>Source
Samsung S7
>Preferred type of headphone
earphone- already have Beyer DT250 for home but can't take it outside due to its coiled wires and its not really portable
>Comfort Level
balanced. Would prefer to be comfort over quality
>Preferred tonal balance
warm

Is the Audio Technica IM02 a good choice?

Here is a completely untreated room which is more than troublesome with its shape and size. This is annoyingly lively.

Let me try this, anyone have some advice? I got a new Phone last year, the Apple plastic in ears that come with it are horrible. My old Sony's are falling apart. Since I use them a lot (like 4hr/day, every day) I'm willing to spend some.
One major thing is that they should fit well enough not to fall out while running, and preferably with 'remote' control cable thingy

>Budget
€50, maybe more if that doesn't get me anywhere
>Location
EU
>Source
3.5mm
In-ear
>Comfort level
Important, at least 10x more comfy than Apple's
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral to Bright I guess
>Past headphones
I had a HD201 years ago; if there are in ears with anywhere near that quality I'd be real happy

Thanks already

Sennheiser HD518

I own the DT880 600 ohm Premium. Do I need an amplifier or does my motherboard work fine?

Oh wow I really didn't get the source thing right
>Source
Spotify standard quality on iPhone/netbook

You probably need an amp.

>budget
$200
>location
USA
>source
desktop computer
>preferred type of headphone
over the ear
>open or closed
doesn't matter
>comfort level
high
>preferred tonal balance
neutral
>past headphones
Some $50 pair of Sony's, I forget the model number.

I'm thinking about getting the AKG K702. Is that a good idea or are there better headphones in that price range?

>Budget
$30
>Location
poland
>Source
mp3 player
portable
>Open or Closed
doesn't matter
>Comfort Level
Sound Quality > Comfort
>Preferred tonal balance
doesn't matter

need some on ear headphones for gym and i need something smaller than FULL SIZE PROFESSIONAL STUDIO DISK JOCKEY HEADPHONES so i won't look like a retard

How does /hpg/ feel about JayBirds? Any other wireless brands worth looking into?

>wireless

I know it sacrifices a decent bit, but just for the sake of the argument.

You can probably find some Koss Porta Pros for less than 30 dollars. Or if you have more than enough they are a bit above.

w-why though? I really don't want to spend more dosh unless it's necessary.

How does /hpg/ feel about Apple trying to kill off the 3.5mm headphone jack? Could the lightning port offer increased sound quality?

Hypothetically, other manufacturers follow suit and replace the 3.5mm headphone jack with USB type c, could that have any benefits?

They might not sound loud enough through the integrated soundcard of your mobo.
Why did you buy a DT880 600 Ohm in the first place and didn't you consider a different headphone? There are a lot of headphones which are easier to drive and maybe even better than DT880 for the same, if not a lower, price.
Spending money on an amp should always be taken into consideration especially when buying high end heapdhones.

I got them for $182 brand new. :x

You'll look like a retard wearing anything that goes over your head. Get some Piston 3s.

Was there something you could do with LADSPA? I don't remember clearly.
Otherwise, you would have put together a VST chain and spend some time getting it to work.

>VST plugins with foobar2000
Fb2k wrappers do not play nice with my VSTs. Doesn't support VSTs out of the box, or did they fix that?

There's little something you need to remember about time/frequency analysis. You can clearly see one or the other, but not both at the same time.
As it is, it's hard to tell what is the ringing implied by the FR and what is a room effect.

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.

For that cost you could have bought some nice Sony MDR-V6 with some after market cushy earpads and a hardware equalizer to fix the treble peak.

Yeah I can use eq4p or whatever it was called with my DAW or with this particular player I can't seem to find any documentation on how to use.

>V6 being better than DT880 Premiums
lmao nice try kiddo.

Are you saying your local news station's boom operator is wrong?

>Budget
>Source
Phone/Laptop
In ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Don't care
>Preferred tonal balance
V shaped
>Past headphones
MEE M6P

they need cheap closed headphones so i don't see what your point is

>Budget
20-30€
>Location
germanistan, North West
>Source
samsung Galaxy Trend Plus
On-Ear Headphones or Earbuds Headphones
which doesn't matter, prefably the former
>Comfort level
balanced, i want to be able to lie in my bed without problems and the best quality should be a priority
>Preferred tonal balance
one for rock and orchestral music
>Past headphones
sennheiser mx375
they were alright but the cable was irritating

no

Yes.
HJE120
Does it get loud enough?
HD558 or SHP9500, K702 potentially needs an amp, don't recommend it because it may lack bass to some due to its large earpads which don't seal well on some heads.
KSC75
Probably not.
Suicide is the answer.
M6 PRO
HJE120

Are headphones that have 6mm output by default somehow better than 3.5mm?
Do 3.5mm to 6mm adapters somehow lower the sound quality?

>Are headphones that have 6mm output by default somehow better than 3.5mm?
no
>Do 3.5mm to 6mm adapters somehow lower the sound quality?
no

>As it is, it's hard to tell what is the ringing implied by the FR and what is a room effect.
Yeah true. I didn't conduct good measurements before applying the panels so this is kind of poor anyway. I think my old measurement is one channel only which could also affect the room response. Here's a zoomed in overlay of the CSD plots.

Question, are the Sennheiser CX-300 ii precision good enough to last say a year while biking and using them at the gym? Usually i take pretty good care of my earbuds but these are a bit expensive for me and I'm wondering if the investment is worth it. Also, how's the sound quality? I'm gonna use them with a Sony S754, so far I've been using the earbuds from my Lenovo vibe shot which are actually pretty good but Id like a bit more

And FR overlay at the same spot with the same 1/48th octave smoothing.

yes
yes

Anyone else using the RHA MA750?

no to both
literally no difference unless the headphones need fucking atomic power

so no

yes
no

they can if you buy the 0.39$ ones. Anything half decent (does not have to be 'audiophile' or even 'pro' grade) will do fine.

No, but it's often found in the high end models.
Some have screw-on 6.3mm adapters so it fits really well. It doesn't have an incidence on audio quality, but it's a much more durable plug.

no
maybe

6,35mm is the old standard and is mostly found from higher end headphones these days. Some models ship with an adapter to use either jack. 3,5mm plug was adopted with portable devices and there's also a 2,5mm version available. The larger plugs are merely more sturdy but there are no differences in sound quality.

It would basically have to be broken, botched wiring/solders.

What's up /hpg/
I'm a poorfag and just got this bad boys for $20 each. Did i fucked up?

Bumping this for more replies pls
Would prefer 6mm standard

>HJE120
does are not my style
maybe any On-Ear Headphones ?

nah

goldenears.net/board/GR_Earphones/5249023

The cheap in-ear house sound. I rate: still better than Sennheiser IE80 / 10

> extra bass
> white hand
why?

Got them for the quality/price.
With common drives, size limits the lower frequency output of an in-ear headset, so having the extra bass in budget earphones helps the sound quality overall.

Anyone have any resources that would tell me what the hell I'm doing?

What you should be doing is getting a parametric equalizer. We have a guide for basic equalizing in the Wiki.

3.5mm TRS is just a connector, and its problems have more to do with the mechanics of the connector than the electrical. The iPhone still has to have a DAC. If you can pass analog audio signals through it, not sure how that would differ.

That's REW, right? Let me take a crack at that.

What program or plugin did you say this was?

>size limits the lower frequency output of an in-ear
No. These are not free radiators, and driver/enclosure resonance frequency determines the lower bound on that anyway. These play into a pressure chamber, so the limiting factor to bass extension is leakage. Without cavity leakage DC pressurization is possible.

you'll get used to the angled jack, I've heard the replacement cables are not as durable so I never switched it out. Oh and be sure to experiment with the tips, once you go triple flange you never go back... until they turn yellow and you have to hide them in front of your coworkers.

jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html

How does a pc benefit from having a DAC?

>$200-250
>Canada
>Fiio E10
>Over the ear
>Closed
>Comfort level not top priority
>Neutral to Bassy
>Past headphones were Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros

Can someone recommend me comfy bluetooth in-ear headphones for 100 or less? I'm in Yurop if that matters
Sound quality doesn't matter THAT much.

It lets you convert the digital signal from your MP3s or whatever to an analog signal that can be understood by your speakers headphones and such.

>jamin.sourceforge.net/en/uibasics.html
>Hand-drawn EQ (HDEQ)
You're supposed to draw the EQ curve you want. The yellow points are closer to the standard parametric filters. White is the actual EQ that gets implemented.

While you're at it, why leave the compressor on?

I'm a noob to speakers, anyway how come evrytime I scroll with my mouse or move it around when no music is playing it makes this little annoying buzzing/static sound?

>Seat

Yeah you pretty much fucked up.

>white hand

Nope.

>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Source
Schiit stack
Over Ear
>Open or Closed
Closed
>Comfort level
not a priority
>Preferred tonal balance
I like the sound of my HD600 but something different would be nicd
>Past headphones
HD600

>Under 100 Dollars
>Canada
>My phone, Moto G
>IEM
>Comfort doesnt matter
>Samsung galaxy headphones(they seemed decent, but maybe i dont know shit about sound)

DT770 Pro 80 ohm limited edition

plox

Why not the 250 ohm? Won't it sound better than the 80 ohm if I can drive it?

Stop being a faggot and wait for the bump limit.

What is crosstalk interference?

I have the 1More Triple Driver. You won't find a better deal under $100. They blow my fucking mind every time I listen.

cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1140/4626/files/S015567.pdf?588774706172739029

>That's REW, right?
Yes.
>Let me take a crack at that.
Sure:

a.uguu.se/4kavOfrQYfZx_batch_of_measurements.7z

First four dated for today are well, the new measurements with absorbers on the wall. The crapload of others are single channel measurements in the same room without any treatment taken earlier this year. However I had a few things aligned differently back then, speakers weren't on stands and mic was placed some 50cm further back. Also SPL is not matched properly between the old measurements and the new ones. That'll be a problem if you try to overlay the CSD plots. Play around if you want.

Anyone have any suggestions for foam tips or tips in general for my old UE TripleFi Pro 10's? I've tried comply foam but they don't last and I don't fancy coughing up 15 quid every 4 months.

But how else could he achieve fucking up the OP?

Nobody cares.
Shure foam tips?

How is the OP fucked up?

well how do I stop it?

It's interference from something. Likely USB crosstalk if the mouse movement causes the buzzing.

Try to plug the mouse to another port, preferably one which is behind another USB controlled. How are the loudspeakers connected to your PC?

>those headphones

Why is he so based?

With the upcoming 7, what are the best (not incredibly overpriced) wireless headphones available?

Preferably earbuds.

It's connected by using a stereo breakout cable.

>headphone thread
iPhones need not apply kek.

kys

forgot pic

Not much you can do if you don't have another sound card. This is the time when an external or a discrete DAC is useful, preferably one which is not USB powered in your case, to isolate the sound card from the interference.

massdrop has a pair of AKG M220 right now for cheap, anyone use these before? For what they're worth, are they decent? I know higher end AKG is a little lacking on bass, wondering if I should get a slighly better model for a bit more. Looking in the $100 range for something cheap but I like the style of these AKGs

Hey /hpg/, got a question for yall. I've got a pair of Takstar 2050's and I really really enjoy them. And as I understand it, Hyper Cloud X's are just Takstars under a different brand, so I'm thinking of getting a pair of those for the headset.

Thing is though, one of the biggest pros of the Takstars for me are the earpads. I basically wear my headphones around the clock, so comfort is super important. It looks like the hyper clouds have a different earpad material though, it looks like a shitty fake leather type deal.

Does anybody here have a pair? Can you comment on how comfortable they are?

I fucking love mine.

kys

just get the brainwavz's HM5 erapads. Takstars default are good (as well the HypX) but they arent comparable to Brainwavz's HM5 pads.

>tfw razerfag can't afford a razer blade

Higher impedance doesn't automatically make them better. High impedance headphones only exist because decades ago, in studios, many headphones would be wired in parallel.

>High impedance headphones only exist because decades ago, in studios, many headphones would be wired in parallel.
That's actually an interesting bit of information which I never knew about.

not really. linux isn't designed specifically so you don't have to use windows programs lad

Why the fuck do my speakers have so much fucking treble, it's like a loud ac.

What should a fully treated room look like?