What would it take to bring the year of the Linux desktop to reality?

What would it take to bring the year of the Linux desktop to reality?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for it to actually be any better than anything else on the market except OS X

Microsoft users will upgrade kicking and screaming, but they will always upgrade because they're chained to the company at the hip.

office, dx10, photoshop and other graphics/specialized windows-only programs

>dx10
dx9+...

"Desktop" is meaningless. Mobile market share is more important for basically every single metric.

A very, very cold day in hell.

Either that or features which make Windows attractive, such as playing every video game ever made, running the majority of software ever made, being normie friendly from the second you insert the boot media.

You know, all those things Linux will never have or be.

a new name, a new ui, a marketing team, support for more proprietary software

When ARM CPUs surpass Intel and PC Laptop manufacturers start selling Android Laptops

When we finally uncuck the world with stallman memes.

Chrome OS with google play store is the best chance we have right now.

Advertising.

Contracts with manufacturers to include linux distributions with laptops and prebuilt computers.

Improving wine-like software so you can run Windows/OS X software.

Honestly I don't see why you wouldn't use a linux distro as a desktop. It's user friendly, very customisable and has lots of software. Even most games work on it now.

- Adobe software
- Autodesk software
- Vulkan being used by more game devs
- Popular distros need to be and look more professional
- There needs to be a meme or something else that makes the curious people finally switch over and also makes them stay
- More laptops (or even desktops) with preinstalled distros

If Microsoft doesn't stop shitting up Windows (I really can't comprehend it getting much worse than 10 already is but I'm sure they'll find a way to make it even worse) then it;s got a definite possibility.

The ability to run Windows programs natively. Not doable because Microsoft IP and closed source nature.

Are you a retard?

More proprietary games and software.

Kinda funny after all these years that freetards have to eat their words and admit closed source won since the only way people will use their OS is if they can have good quality software and games which means the so important "freedom" goes out of the window.

I have seen a normie play CS GO on a "high end gaiming computer" with windows and complaining that even with so expensive computer the graphics are complete shit. Turns out he did not know that you can change graphics settings in game.

How in the fuck did he even manage to install anything on his computer? Well turns out he paid a serviceman about 80$ per hour to do everything for him. This dude was also using iPhone with no extra apps installed and did not even know how to change the default ringtone.

Make a "normie edition" distro that these kind of retards can use and the year of linux desktop would happen right away.

The same thing that made windows on the desktop and android/linux on the phone a reality:

Computer makers selling computers with GNU/Linux preinstalled

Abandon X11 once and for all.

Games, Adobe software, Publicity, aesthetics

Get me my Adobe and Autodesk suites, along with Overwatch and we're gold.

Office and Potatochop work fine under Wine. DX10+ is for children tbqh senpai, if you wanna play the latest cowadoody just kys.

that ship has sailed. valve had the chance of doing things right but half assed it. it's gonna take a long time until another window of opportunity like that opens up again

The ability to manage large numbers of said Linux desktops without expensive third party tools

Every Linux distro is virtually all third party applications

System76 does that

Except no one buys them or will just install Windows anyway.

Yes but Windows includes management tools for free.

My point still stands. Also missed the expensive part
>Linux software
>costing money

No one cares about lagdroid

Unification between distributions, people don't understand that there are many different distributions of systemd/Linux

Have a working and aesthetic GUI that doesn't use X11. Unity/KDE/XFCE/LXDE feels cheap and stuck in the early 2000s.

Tell me what is included with Linux for free to manage settings on 1000 clients

I'm not your fucking assistant. You're as capable of using Google as I am.

Translation: there is nothing unless you spend an extra $10 per client

And graphics drivers are shit unless you're using Intel.

I wouldn't know, you're asking the wrong person, you fucking dumbass.

Get rid of ALL legacy software. Make a reference distribution. Support from major OEMs. That's pretty much it. Android is a living proof of that.

>legacy software
>Windows
*cough*

If you don't know then shut the fuck up.

Android is also developed by an advertising company completely negating any reason to use Linux on your desktop.

Only matters to corporations. We are talking about desktop.

Reasons to use Linux are security and performance, not your freetard bullshit.

That's a cool meme you're subscribing to. Say, what's the colour of the sky in your world?

>What would it take to bring the year of the Linux desktop to reality?

Windows 10.

The point being the advertising company mines your data to display ads they hope you'll find interesting. Might as well use Windows at that point.

Working graphics drivers
Working audio architecture
Working Wifi drivers

>Working graphics drivers
Works OOTB for me , which cannot be said for Windows
>Working audio architecture
Works OOTB for me
>Working Wifi drivers
Works OOTB for me, which cannot be said for Windows

android is slow and unsafe

>security

Linux would be an even bigger shit show if it was the most popular desktop OS.

>Just install this package manager repo and you'll get all the free music you want
>Just chmod +x this script. Trust me.

End users would find ways to do it.

>which cannot be said for Windows

This meme from 1997 needs to die. Windows 8 and up includes a shitload of drivers. On the rare occasion that it doesn't it literally takes 10 seconds to obtain and install the correct driver which can't be said for Linux.

D E S I G N
E
S
I
G
N

I think Sony will swoop in with Vulkan to make the Windows killer. Go Linux and make it look like Windows 7. People will pay for a big brand name and the hype of being on a cool new trend like Linux. It would be a perfect plan to save them from the dying console market.

Make it all usable through a GUI. Normies don't like using the terminal at all.

Someone needs to step up. The situation with Windows gets worse by the day.

Debian-based distros are usable even w/o terminal. Crappy design is the main obstacle for GNU/Linux as desktop OS.
We need designers. Designers! Designers! Designers! Designers! Designers!

I've needed to use the terminal quite a bit on Ubuntu. I also don't know if they fixed it now, but their app store is fucked, I had to install software from the terminal.

-thumbnail view upon fileselection
-better hardware compatiblity
-windows like simple look and controlls
-windows like mouse accel
-full gaming support
-faster boot times
-faster installation of programs and their dependencies (you can't even install multiple programs at once)
-support of windows only software (Adobe, Autodesk, Office etc)

inb4 elon musk throws his name behind his own distro, charges 300$ for it so rich fags will want it, and calls it something gay like babbage-linux

>Not using an Arch based distro
>Not using pamac for browsing software repos / the AUR
>Not using pamac for updating installed packages

They're gonna change their app store in favor to "Gnome Apps" (which written in GTK+, and they're going to rewrite whole DE in QT, fucking madmen).
But you did work with terminal only because all guides on the Internet implied this, there's always (perhaps) a way to do that same thing through GUI

Elon Musk doesn't seem like the kind of guy that'd do that.
>better hardware compatibility
>faster boot times
>thumbnail upon fileselection

Linux already has those and had them for a while now.

the desktop is already dying out, let alone Linux rofl

Kill directX. If vulkan beats DX12 you will see a surge in linux use. Even without ports initially, running vulkan windows games and programs on linux will be easier.

No I used the terminal because I remember the app store was so fucked that I couldn't install anything from it. I don't remember the exact problem, it's been years since I used Ubuntu but I couldn't install a certain app I really needed and had to install it through the terminal.

I'm not a big fan of Arch.

Android is neither

Post your PC specs. I think you might be using 2005 hardware

easier said than done. people couldn't even stop complete anti consumer garbage like goyworks from being adopted. killing directx will be 10x harder

Aren't we talking about what normies are going to want to use? Arch will not be the Windows slayer.

> Elon Musk doesn't seem like the kind of guy that'd do that.
That's what he did with Telsa. He made sports cars that all the rich fags wanted and by proxy he made his brand desirable to normies. He is a smart enough man to see what good would come from killing Windows.

It's funny to think that vidya put Microsoft on the map and it could be what kills it.

>>better hardware compatibility
I assembled a new desktop with Nvidia 960 a couple weeks ago and the stupid graphics driver didn't come with the install so it broke the logon screen and wont render the text box to to input my password.

But the stupid logon screen wont let me connect to wifi without having to open TTY and manually sudoing in the network password. Topfucking kek. Then I had to use the stupid terminal to download and install nvidia drivers before I can successfully login for the first time

>-thumbnail view upon fileselection
Depends on your DE
>-better hardware compatiblity
Blame exotic hardware vendors for only shipping "drivers" for Windows. Hardware issues are very rare, though. You will more likely run into issues when using Windows (e.g. missing USB3 drivers for Win7 installation, topkek)
>-windows like simple look and controlls
Depends on your choice of DE or window manager. It can either be Windows-like or completely different and exactly the way you want. There are no limits...
>-windows like mouse accel
Depends on your configuration, you can configure it the way you want.
>-full gaming support
steamdb.info/linux/
Also: >What is Vulkan?
>-faster boot times
Bullshit
$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 4.523s (kernel) + 1.365s (userspace) = 5.888s

>-faster installation of programs and their dependencies (you can't even install multiple programs at once)
Bullshit, every package manager supports installing multiple packages at once
>-support of windows only software (Adobe, Autodesk, Office etc)
Depends on Adobe, Autodesk, etc. themselves. M$ and applel are paying them to not release their software for Linux

>thumbnail upon fileselection
>Linux already has those and had them for a while now.

>inb4 install KDE hurr-durr, yea the glorious KDE made by autistic manchildren for autistic manchildren

>better hardware compatibility
>Linux already has those and had them for a while now.

Where are my AMD or Nvidia drivers retard?

>faster boot times
Windows boots a lot faster than GNU+Lincucks

It must be on sale pre-installed. Normies too stupid to change OS, so everything else will happen automatically.

But normies will use Microsoft Office to and stuff so they're bound to have their computer "repaired" to use Windows. Topkek

>Depends on your choice of DE or window manager. It can either be Windows-like or completely different and exactly the way you want. There are no limits...

There are no limits. I love this. I don't want to send days to set up a normal looking skin on a preferred Lincucks DE.
pic related is the shit Linux comes with and Gnome looks even worse.

>Depends on your configuration, you can configure it the way you want.

Another if you have time to fuck in CLI and config files you can do whatever you want argument.

>Depends on Adobe, Autodesk, etc. themselves. M$ and applel are paying them to not release their software for Linux

Lincucks freetards would not pay for their software so no surprise there.

Manufacturers supporting it directly

Too many times there have been no drivers for me to have usable Linux. They will never achieve "it just werks (tm)" status

>I don't want to send days to set up a normal looking skin
takes 15 secs 2bh
>the shit Linux comes with
a kernel comes with a GTK/QT theme? interesting... I thought it was as simple as installing another package from my distro's repository or the AUR.
>if you have time to fuck in CLI and config files
pic related
>freetards
5 rupees have been added to your account, Pajeet

LibreOffice can do everything that normies need to do with office software. Writing 100 word essays and making presentation slides.

It works now, at least with Ubuntu 16.
Intel i5 CPU, some AMD GPU. Had to manually install graphics drivers. Ethernet cable didn't work, USB wifi worked but kept disconnecting every 30 seconds, couldn't install drivers for my phone so I can transfer files. Meanwhile everything worked OOTB on Linux, no need to install additional drivers, everything connects to Internet automatically and every piece of hardware was supported.
Could be because I'm not using nvidia GPUs. I always hear people have problems with them on Linux. It also depends on which distro you're using, some of them don't include certain drivers or codecs because it's "illegal" to download some of them in certain countries. But they're still available for download.
This. I even use LibreOffice on Windows.

Normie's want Microsoft because "that's what they're used to"

Personally I never used Word after they changed the UI in ~2007, so LibreOffice is what I'm used to

Is there an Linux equivalent to Windows Key+Left/Right/D?

When GNU/Linux stops being so fragmented. There are 999 different distros with 999 different DMs, 999 different kernel versions in use and so on - which in the end causes a lot of problems with different software wanting different versions of everything.

No normie will spend days running obscure commands in cli to solve the arising problems. That means it also needs a powerful set of system maintenance tools that do have a GUI.

MS Office lost me completely with the ribbon menu shit. Word is especially bad with the stupid preconfigured stylings that never seem to do what I want. I used the 1997 version for years until I saw the light that is LibreOffice.

Cinnamon's window manager (Muffin) has something similar, but it's much better and also has more features, although pretty simple and intuitive.

>people saying design and other useless answers
Wrong

It needs to be able to run all 100+ of my windows only software without ANY COMPATIBILITY ISSUES.

>but just use this watered down versio-
NO.

I also do not want to buy 2 fucking GPU's just to get 100% performance, nor deal with Wine's bullshit. It's a fucking waste of my time. I will NEVER fucking switch to linux unless it runs ALL my shit.

Trashing X11 would be good start.

Nvidia has been known to have problems with open source operating systems like Linux and BSD for a long while now. It's not the dev's fault, it's Nvidia refusing to disclose any info which could help the developers put better support for their hardware. AMD is a lot better because they open source most of their GPU software.

nothing ever didnt happen as much as this

>offline mode

at least you tried

>I want a self centered money hungry company to release it's software to anything other than it's own OS
You realise how stupid you sound?

What DE and theme do you use?

Red Hat, Facebook and a lot of other huge corporations contribute to Linux on a pretty regular basis.

This has nothing to do with Microsoft, or a supposed 'self-centered' company. There's tons of helpful tools I use which were made by individuals who do not care to go back to their old projects and port them to Linux. I don't blame them. I myself have created tools for my needs and will not port them to Linux.

But yes, keep thinking I'm a money hungry company or some other retarded narrow idea you can muster up. That mindset is childish, another reason I don't care to hear what any idiotic Linux user(atleast coming from Sup Forums) has to say.

But Microsoft probably never will. Although it's not up to Microsoft to decide what works on Linux, you have other companies to blame for not making their software linux compatible.
Spoken like a true capitalist, comrade.

>Everyone who's smarter than me (almost everybody) is autistic
Okay, Pajeet. Poo in loo

I'm on Antergos and use Cinnamon with a customized "Adapta" theme...

Linux desktop needs:

* No more X server (security nightmare and all-around pain in the ass)
* Better relationships with nVidia/AMD (Nouveau is dumb and should never have been necessary)
* Less distros with bad cases of NIH syndrome (how many package managers do we really need) leading to no real standards and inconsistent audio/video/input support
* Fix OpenGL, suffers from shitty management and general foss autism

"Linux desktop" will never happen the way people generally understand it (just werks gayming platform), there's too much dead weight pushing DirectX/ . The sad part is that developers don't understand what they're missing by clinging to Wangblows, Linux development will have the game crash constantly while in testing, but you can rather easily get the game to run with quantum physics simulations, 4k resolution, and neural network AI on an old i286 box, while Winshit development will have the game do exactly what the developers wanted during testing, but at 3 FPS in 320x240 on high end system

It stands a great chance of being a home use system if software developers (writing/document apps, painting, graphic manipulation, video editing) can get their shit together and appeal to non-autists though.

Nothing but time. Microsoft is already taking care of killing off Window.

Normies will continue using Office anyway. Nothing can compete with Excel

I'm a cs student and even I find it too painful and time consuming to install linux on my laptop. Linux just has too many ridiculous settings and not enough hardware support for everything to work nicely. So I just ssh in to the university linux boxes or I use mingw in windows. Plus I get to use word and play games. It's just not worth it to install and use linux unless you're into the freetard bullshit.