/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
p.teknik.io/5cGhy

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
warosu.org/g/thread/48653055
youtube.com/watch?v=jw8K460vx1c
unixstickers.com/stickers/linux_os_distribution_stickers/debian-os-saped-sticker
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for gentoo

is gentoo a meme distro?

very nice

No, it is the best.

Has Richard Stallman actually programmed anything?

I have seen a great number of poorly Photoshopped images in my time as a photographer and I can tell by the pixels that it is a fake.

A lot, just dig through the manpages.

the GNU Emacs operating system

>man ls
>see this
AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie.
jesus

Where can I download a GNU OS .iso?

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

how does it compare to arch though?
ive been meaning come out of the ubuntu-closet but i dont want to be memed to use a shite os

He wrote GCC, the program you compile Linux with.

If you don't want to be memed on, stay away from Arch.

you can just install emacs like a normal operating system on your Linux, Windows or OSX kernel.

That's why I'm using exa.

Please avoid using the term “photoshop” as a verb, meaning any kind of photo manipulation or image editing in general. Photoshop is just the name of one particular image editing program, which should be avoided since it is proprietary. There are plenty of free programs for editing images, such as the GIMP.

Can I play Minecraft on EmacsOS?

Yes.

Do you have the version without emerge and without the cumdumpster?

You mean just a Gentoo logo?

digging the archives, maybe I've luck

Any opinion on Slax Linux and Salix?

How could I achieve this?
$ cd ~/Documents/newfolder
bash: cd: newfolder: No such file or directory
Would you like to create directory ~/Documents/newfolder? [y/n]

either modifying cd or creating a different command?

yes

Any good rice for Plasma desktops?

Easy mode: create a new command.
Man mode: modify cd.

Image has been optimized.

found the other (distro) versions in case anyone cares: warosu.org/g/thread/48653055

mkcd (){
[ ! -d "$1" ] && mkdir -p "$1" && cd "$1"
}

This is a good post.

PATH_TO_CD=`which cd`
alias cd="~/.scripts/myshellscript"

put this in your .bashrc
then do in the script whatever you wish
use $PATH_TO_CD if you want to use the original cd. share results if you want.

who's that boy

Richard Stallman

you'd wanna toy with aurorae themeing and kwin scripting, right?

I am considering switching to Linux. Currently I use some programs that only work on Windows, like iCloud Drive and FL Studio. FL Studio is no problem, I can just dual boot because I usually have "sessions" of music production. But iCloud Drive is a problem though. I use it to sync my password database (I use a password manager, but it works on Linux) to my iPhone. Is there any nice solution to this?

Another thing I will miss from Windows which may sound strange is the ability to do stuff in MS Paint, copy it, and paste it right into a facebook conversation. Can one do a similar thing in Linux?

The thing with gentoo is that you compile everything from source, which can be useful because you can use (USE) flags to enable or disable specific features of a program.

That said, you can also just use any other distro, because most if not all package managers can download the packages source and compile them for you. The difference it, that you need to add the configure flags yourself.

tl;dr same autism as arch

add that to your .bashrc
cd() {
if [ -d $1 ]; then
builtin cd $1
else
echo "bash: cd: $1: No such file or directory";
echo -n "Would you like to create directory $1? [y/n] ";
read opt; [[ $opt == y ]] && mkdir -p $1;
fi
}

>Use this OS goy. It's free, just don't make any money off of it
Why should I use linux? The license is communist and ran by a literal jew. I'm not going to work like a wagecuck on an OS that has no customer support of any kind and has no games.

Very nice, but quote your variables (or it breaks at spaces) and don't be inconsistent with your brackets. I'd write it like this:

cd() {
if [ -d "$1" ]; then
builtin cd "$1"
else
printf 'bash: cd: %s: No such file or directory\n' "$1"
printf 'Would you like to create directory %s? [y/n] ' "$1"
read opt; [ "$opt" = "y" ] && mkdir -p "$1";
fi
}

Which is the least Jewish OS?

Linux is the most jew OS there is. It demands everything be free and is highly communist.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

>Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow only monopoly. … if the users chooses this proprietary software package, he then falls into this monopoly for support … the only way to escape from monopoly is to escape from proprietary software, and that is what the free software movement is all about. We want you to escape and our work is to help you escape. We hope you will escape to the free world.

Nice pasta homo, don't you have work like a wagecuck should be?

That isn't what "free market" means.

>no games
>no good software
>jew
cuck

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as GNU Mach or even kFreeBSD, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.

kek

Are there any ISO's for debian unstable or testing that come with Cinnamon?

And who asked your biased and stupid opinions?

>cuck
educate!

I used salix as a platform for building lfs. seemed neat. no experience with it other than that.

>muh games
>good software
>christian
still cuck, because it's loonix.

>cuckold thinks his opinions matter

That's an analogy for NEETs vs wagecucks. The NEETs are truly free and aren't slaves to make a jew boss rich while the cuckolds work and get cucked by NEETs.

>the jewish communist controls the users AND the programs

>In 2001 the term received broader public attention when Craig Mundie, Microsoft Senior Vice President, described the GPL as being "viral".[146] Mundie argues that the GPL has a "viral" effect in that it only allows the conveyance of whole programs, which means programs that link to GPL libraries must themselves be under a GPL-compatible license, else they cannot be combined and distributed.

based craig

Can't see the problem here.

sysV init vs systemd go

"Craig Mundie" should educate himself about the topic. For such situations there's AGPL and other solutions.

Is there a USB WiFi adapter with the following features:

* support 5 GHz (802.11n at least)
* support master mode
* does not need non-free firmware

Bonus points for detachable antenna, but not important.

>commie license driving down wages, "freeing" software to pajeets and chinamen
>literally forces you into its license if you so much as touch gpl-infected software with a dick hair
>this is not anti-freedom because

jesus debian website is so awful. i just want the debian testing ISO in torrent. the fuck is this. fuck it i'll use ubuntu

You're just new. Before I switched to GNU/Linux I had no idea either. Don't act like the man who knows everything "because" and watch this video: youtube.com/watch?v=jw8K460vx1c

lel

There is no such torrent, retard.

>fuck it i'll use ubuntu
based

You can't downlowd a repo, idiot. You change the links in your sources.list.

green is my pepper

I am talking about debian actual website. I just wanted a Testing ISO from torrent and not slow as direct.

Their website is so ugly and confusing.

You didn't listen, there is no testing iso.
You also didn't visit the website, since they clearly explain how to upgrade to testing.
Fuck off troll.

Sup guys. I have debian and wangblows 10 in a dual boot configuration on my computer. I also have both OSs mount one of my other drives at startup as a media storage drive. Every single time I boot wangblows and then boot gnu+linux my other drive fails to boot cause windows didnt clean the drive properly or whatever and i have to run ntfsfix from an emergency shell and reboot. Is there a way to have this command run automatically during startup?

Turn off fast startup in windows.

didnt even know that existed. danke

While you shouldn't use them, there are testing isos.

>I have debian and wangblows 10 in a dual boot
Scary, man, really scary

Are there other router operating systems like OpenWRT? This one cannot be installed on my routers, so I need some other FREE SOFTWARE.

Why can't you install OpenWRT?

Hmm, I've gathered enough courage to try to install a linux called openSUSE!

Why?

Gotta catch them all

I don't understand american jokes.

It isn't. I've had this setup on one of my machines for quite a while now.

Godspeed, user!

Hey guys, purely aesthetics question because I'm kind of retarded at these things:

What do you think would look better on the black matte back of a thinkpad?

This?

unixstickers.com/stickers/linux_os_distribution_stickers/debian-os-saped-sticker

Or this?

www.unixstickers.com/stickers/linux_os_distribution_stickers/debian-logo-shaped-clear-sticker

(First has white border which my gut tells me would look awful on black. Second has transparent border)

What say you, aesthetics experts?

DD-WRT

What's the significance of using "builtin cd" instead of just "cd"?

Because I'm tired of my fvwm desktop and a manually configured kernel. I'm tired of compiling source code. I need something shiny and wasteful. Something that does everything by itself, so I can just drink tea and listen to Debussy.

You can install the same "shiny and wasteful" thing on your current distribution.
Nothing to see here, just another idiot switching distributions for reasons that don't make sense.

Linus Torvalds once complained that it was hard to install. Now they seem to have upped it a bit and made it hard to download in the first place.

It disambiguates the bash builitin from any other usage because it will cause infinite recursion otherwise.
Also, that code has a blemish.
The shinier thing is, the longer it compiles. It's still a manual process. Doesn't compare to the feeling of freshly installed operating system that just works. And you say like the switching is troublesome, while it isn't. openSUSE isn't OpenBSD that would decline to mount ext4 for the reason of incompatible features that aren't implemented yet.

thinkpenguin.com will be your best bet

I got arch with openbox. How can i manage displays? I use laptop and external monitor and i would like to use one at a time.

Also this tight triangle on top of a box is not displayed correctly. Is that some encoding problem?

Thanks but they don't have any 5 GHz adapters

I can't seem to find anything with 5 GHz and free drivers/firmware

I would even accept non-free firmware, as long as the driver is free
But there's nothing that works well, or doesn't support master mode

Then it probably doesn't exist yet. :/

Read the wiki

>testing iso
why would you download the installers beta/alpha version?

You could try xrandr. The command can be used both to query available video outputs and to configure the server to choose one and to disable the other.

Is void any good and why?

If you were in a position to profit from (or even need) Void Linux you wouldn't be asking a stupid question like that.

I wouldn't use a sticker at all. Print out a stencil and spray it like a true gangster.