Would you use a pirate version of a password manager?

Would you use a pirate version of a password manager?

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/read/hackers-stole-over-60-million-dropbox-accounts
troyhunt.com/the-dropbox-hack-is-real/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no

>Would you use [...] a password manager?
no.

>closed source password managers

Only if the pirates are cute 2D girls.

How do you manage your passwords?

>Not using the best password manage because of mah principles

Fag. I bet you use memebuto too.

This

Write them in plaintext in a folder named "No passwords in here"

Gator E-Wallet is still the best.

I haven't figured out how to install it on my macbook yet, but I plan to :)

>would you use malware on malware
no

>not using keepass, the god-tier password manager
Why live?

Memory, written down?

there's no open source solutions that aren't batshit crazy or feature-limited in multiple ways.

e.g., keepass minikeepass syncing & interface are worse

>not writing your password on a piece of paper and hiding it in a random book inconspicuously
>not just memorizing your passwords

>trusting Sup Forums's opinions on security

one cancels out the other?

How the fuck is keepass feature limited?

Encryptr

Memory or an encrypted text file.

i did until 1password became 'free to use'

>Keepass
>Using one of the ugliest password managers

No thank you

>caring about the aesthetics of something that other people shouldn't see
kek

Alone on windows is fine (though I don't know how good it is with autofilling/saving from browsers).

But across multiple devices it becomes a pain compared to the more seamless closed solutions. Also not sure it works over just wifi the way 1password does. All the solutions I've seen require dropbox/FTP/cloud.

It's important for it to be adopted more widely.

I don't give a fuck about keepass looking like 2004 but it's hard to recommend to the illiterate or my grandmother.

i'm quite happy with the inconvenience of copy-pasting username/password details from keepass on my mobile devices, given the security compromises needed for a 'smoother' system

t. used keepass for nine years, on google drive since launch

Aren't there compromises to having it on gDrive/dropbox?

Don't you have syncing issues when editing on mobile? Or do you just go read-only on that device?

I've used KeePass myself since about 2006.

>caring about other people in 2016
lel

Actually this looks interesting. Do you have to leave your server up all the time?

not that i'm aware of; i've never needed to make new passwords on the go like that, or if i have i've made something up on the spot to record it in keepass later.

really the only issue is those awful, terrible, no good websites that disable right-click-paste for no reason besides pretending they have security for retards; and even then it's possible to work around but come on now stop fucking with paste

>Aren't there compromises to having it on gDrive/dropbox?
Yes, especially with 68 million dropbox accounts being hacked recently.

Yes, mandatory internet as far as I know. Haven't tried to access without internet to be honest. It does have a cache in your computer I think though.

like my favourite feature in keepass that nobody else knows about is that it can solve those also-retarded 'enter the fifth, sixth and eighteenth character of your memorable word' fields too

cracking into google drive, dropbox etc is arguably more of an OH SHIT SHIIIIIT issue than simply ending up with a single encrypted .kdbx container

Why not just write that shit on paper or use a separate device for it?

You're referring to the password fields that disable pasting? How do you work around this?

Also, can you still access your passwords on the phone if you leave KeePass open on the desktop?

>cracking into google drive, dropbox etc is arguably more of an OH SHIT SHIIIIIT issue than simply ending up with a single encrypted .kdbx container
they probably got millions of containers in the worst case scenario. who knows what they've done with them

motherboard.vice.com/read/hackers-stole-over-60-million-dropbox-accounts

>willingly using something that's ugly as shit

You have no standards.

on a plain document on my private dropbox
how do you not forget the encryption password though?

>caring about form over function for a fucking password manager, something where security is far more important than appearance
let me guess, apple drone?

browser extensions can stop websites fucking around with paste: i use Don't Fuck With Paste

for the sites that still manage to do so, through tard strength or something, you can set up complex auto-type rules to account for Change Password in the window title and all that pizzazz. it's a total ballache but there you go.

>can you still access your passwords on the phone if you leave KeePass open on the desktop?
if you're using keepass2 (the 'professional' flavour from the keepass website), you don't need to mess around with lock files or anything - plus most (all?) cloud storage apps just download a copy of the .kdbx file and open it locally, or use the offline-synced file anyway

>You're referring to the password fields that disable pasting? How do you work around this?

Not him but keepass has an autotype feature that writes the chars one by one
I never tried it on websites disabling pasting though

They only got the hashes. Dropbox is just being safe and telling you to change your password.
So any hacker would have brute force the password encryption, and then they would have to brute force your keepass password.

Chrome has a built-in one that syncs my desktop and my phone, so no need for pirating anything.

>using a hideous app because it provides a minuscule amount of greater security

>avoiding gluten
>not driving in cars
>wearing adult diapers
>using natural deodorant
>staying away from the sun

not so good for Opera, and plus you can't store odds and sods like cd-keys or anything that works outside a browser

You're both talking about desktop. What if it's disabled on mobile? I don't believe the same options exist on iphone, for example.

to be honest i've never run into a password field on mobile that has restricted pasting yet. does such a thing exist in the wild?

I use LastPass. It works but I wish there was a way to get around needing premium for mobile.

>password manager
>minuscle
kek
That's like saying something is bad because it's old.

I have a system, so every password has a scheme specific to every site plus some other stuff.

I'm actually looking for one, I'm currently using Lastpass, but I can't use it in multiple devices. I need one that's free for multiple devices and I can use it in Windows, Ubuntu and iOS, can somebody help me?

What the fuck are you even talking about? Take your meds.

ss64

>not even the cutest 2D pirate
Smh desu senpai

Yup, definitely seen sensitive fields that disable pasting on mobile.

It seems like some of the accounts include the salt

troyhunt.com/the-dropbox-hack-is-real/

>People PAY companies to give the companies their passwords and store them in the """cloud"""
CANT
MAKE
THIS
SHIT
UP

so? salts aren't a security feature, their only job is to prevent dictionary attacks, i. e. hash "a", "b", "c" etc. and store the hashes in a dictionary
now you can just look up a hash in the dictionary which is fairly fast. If the dictionary contains the password you just cracked a hash really fast. Salts prevent this because you don't hash the password, you append the salt to the password and then hash the result of that.

I just google search my new password so it's available in my search history right next to the sites I visit :^)