As an eurofag born in 1998, explain to me what AOL is/was...

As an eurofag born in 1998, explain to me what AOL is/was. I've seen old Windows versions including a "Connect to AOL" icon.

>People who were born in 1998 can post on Sup Forums

Oh boy.......

This thread hurts me.

>tfw born in 97 and call everyone younger than me a newfag and underage b& on the internet

>tfw spending hours each week making your profile swag as fuck

I was born in 1994 and I don't remember AOL. Also, I've been shitposting since I was 14. Life is suffering

Youve got mail!

I think Sup Forums should be only for people born in 1990 or earlier. Anything after that... You're just not adding anything relevant to the community.

Dial up isp
Did anyone really used them
I still probably have trial cds iin a box some where

AOL was the death of the internet where normies were given free membership to shit up the internet

Internet went from a unique learning experience to a dumb social platform.

>tfw you logged in and there was a voice to welcome you

it really felt like the future.

>AOL was the death of the internet
not really, most of them were kept in the AOL sandbox

occasionally one would stray out onto public forums and get roasted, they were easy to spot too. i remember it being really funny. they just couldn't understand why everyone was so mean lol

I've used AOL (up to like 02/03), Earthlink, K-Mart's Bluelight, and NetZero back in the day.

drink coaster manufacturer

AOL (Short for America Online) is an ISP in USA, I didn't know they operated outside USA. Back in the 90s when the internet had low adoption rates most ISPs charged you per hour of internet usage. AOL came around and gave unlimited usage for a set fee per month and their userbase exploded, making them the dominate ISP in the USA from 1995ish to the early 2000s. After that their usage declined as cable and DSL ISPs offering much faster connection speed started appearing and becoming more affordable.

They're still around today, but their ISP business is very small comparison to what it once was, they also own some websites like yahoo.

They handed out install CDs for free, we used them as frisbees, threw those fuckers and got scolded. I'd say I want to be young again, but since the context is AOL, I remember how awful technology was back then.

Ok i'm leaving then.
Bye:*

Verizon bought Yahoo, they aren't an AOL company anymore

Elitism isn't nice, user.

>soon anons born after the year 2000 and later will be old enough to post here with windows 7 and halo 3 being nostalgic to them.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.

As others have said, AOL was a major ISP in the 90s.

Fun fact: They merged with Time Warner cable in 2000. It just happened to be at the time when most people started using AOL CDs as coasters/frisbees. The merger is now considered one of the worst decisions in tech history.

user I was born in 1994 and I used AOL until I was bout 11. It was a load of ass but I certainly remember it

I used to get so many unwanted AOL disks it used to piss me off. There must have been billions of those things floating around

>an european