BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD...

IRC -> #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com / undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook / openbsd.org/faq / netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, report shitposts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UFFTYRWB0Tk
cvedetails.com/top-50-vendors.php
web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/statistics-results?adv_search=true&cves=on&cpe_vendor=cpe:/:gnu&cvss_version=3
github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/blob/master/screenfetch-dev
freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/disks.html#idp59232616
forums.freebsd.org/threads/41686/
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160911012316
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160909012520
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who /smug/ here?

BSD and GNU are the ONLY acceptable Operating Systems in 2016

>no maki in the op
delete this and make a real thread please

this

windows blows ass

i like bsd, but i wish we could see a real GNU operating system that's literally just the coreutils, HURD and dmd

>he actually likes gnu

don't get me wrong, i don't like GNU

i like competition and different ideas

what's wrong with GNU?

GNU is a huge contributor to open source. If you don't like GNU then you don't know what's good for open source. Don't get me wrong, I love BSD more than anything, but GNU's years of hard work is a huge part of what made open source flourish.

>GNU is a huge contributor to backdoor in open source software.
Fixed for you.

Delete this!

You can view the source code completely, it's literally impossible for them to include backdoors into their software even if they wanted to. Besides, all of GNU software is volunteer work, why would some guy who makes software for fun include backdoors into his own software? Doesn't make sense. You're just paranoid for no reason.

youtu.be/UFFTYRWB0Tk

>38 minutes

Just get to the point, I'm not going to watch a 38 minute video just to able to make sense of your shitposting.

>...about 20 minutes into his address, he discussed how UNIX-like systems like Debian (which he mentioned by name) are engineered by nation-states with backdoors which are easily introduced as ‘bugs’, and how the Linux system depends on thousands of packages and libraries that may be compromised.

>Assange mentions how Debian famously botched the SSH random number generator for years (which was clearly sabotaged). Speaking of botched security affecting Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, SuSE, *BSD, and more, the nightmarish OpenSSL recently botched SSL again (very serious – updated comments on how a defense contractor in Finland outed the NSA here?) It’s very hard to believe this wasn’t deliberate, as botching the memory space of private keys is about as completely incompetent as you can get, as this area is ultra-critical to the whole system. As a result, many private keys, including of providers, were potentially compromised, and much private info of service users. Be sure to update your systems as this bug is now public knowledge. (For more on how OpenSSL is a nightmare, and why this bug is one among many that will never be found, listen to FreeBSD developer Poul-Heening Kamp’s excellent talk at the FOSDEM BSD conference.)

You can't simple remove true!

cvedetails.com/top-50-vendors.php
>GNU - 20
So it's their blatant incompetence or malicious act.

Also web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/statistics-results?adv_search=true&cves=on&cpe_vendor=cpe:/:gnu&cvss_version=3

that fucking blowfish is worse than any frog.

>Cuck License

I made this script, it's like a shitty screenfetch for ksh/OpenBSD. Thought I would share.

#!/bin/sh

echo $TEMPLATE " "
echo $TEMPLATE " ) ( ( Date:\t\t $(date "+%m-%d-%Y %r")"
echo $TEMPLATE " ( /( ( )\ ))\ ) User:\t\t $(id -u -n)" 'on' "$(hostname)"
echo $TEMPLATE " )\()) ( ( )\(()/(()/( CPU:\t\t $(sysctl -n hw.model)" | sed 's/CPU //g;s/(TM)//g;s/(R)//g;s/@.*//g'
echo $TEMPLATE " ((_)\ ) ))\ ( )((_)/(_))(_)) Temp:\t\t $(sysctl -n hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0 | sed 's/'.00'//g')"
echo $TEMPLATE " ((_) /(/( /((_))\ |(_)_(_))(_)) RAM:\t\t $(dc -e ''$(sysctl -n hw.physmem)d1048576/n'[MiB]p')"
echo $TEMPLATE " / _ \((_)_\(_)) _(_/(| _ ) __|| \ Shell:\t\t" $SHELL | sed 's#/bin/##g'
echo $TEMPLATE " | (_) | '_ \) -_) ' \)) _ \__ \| |) | Uptime:\t\t $(uptime | sed ';s/,.*//;s/^.*up //;')"
echo $TEMPLATE " \___/| .__/\___|_||_||___/___/|___/ Packages:\t $(pkg_info | wc -l | sed 's/[^0-9]*//g')"
echo $TEMPLATE " |_| "
echo $TEMPLATE " "
echo $TEMPLATE " "

Don't take full credit, you just took my script, added some ascii art and tweaked it a bit.

github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/blob/master/screenfetch-dev
maybe you could try putting puffy in from the original screenfetch

your script also probably works with free and netbsd since they also use sysctl

Yeah, somebody else started this in an earlier thread. I'll take full credit though. Watch: I did this, it's mine.

I could but escape characters confuse me

I'm working on putting puffy in the original one

Fuck you, you piece of shit.

post progress

how can we make RAM display in GB?

In the truest spirit of the BSD liscence! I tip my hat to you, sir :^)

not only was the original not licensed, but the BSD license stipulates that you DO have to give credit

>replying to weak bait

>post progress
I'm just figuring out how to do it at this point, I've never done anything with ascii art before. Here's the original ascii artless script

#!/bin/sh

# Manufacturer
echo "Manufacturer:\t $(sysctl -n hw.vendor)"

# Device model
echo "Model:\t\t $(sysctl -n hw.product)"

# CPU model & clock
echo "CPU:\t\t $(sysctl -n hw.model)" | sed 's/CPU //g;s/(TM)//g;s/(R)//g;s/@.*//g'

# CPU temp
echo "CPU temp:\t $(sysctl -n hw.sensors.cpu0.temp0 | sed 's/'.00'//g')"

# Total RAM (megabytes)
echo "RAM:\t\t $(dc -e ''$(sysctl -n hw.physmem)d1048576/n'[MiB]p')"

# OS
echo "OS:\t\t $(uname -srm)"

# Uptime
echo "Uptime:\t\t $(uptime | sed ';s/,.*//;s/^.*up //;')"

# Packages
echo "Packages:\t $(pkg_info | wc -l | sed 's/[^0-9]*//g')"

# Shell
echo "Shell:\t\t" $SHELL | sed 's#/bin/##g'

>RAM in GB
Why? If you really want it it'd be quite trivial to change it from MiB to GiB

because reasons

anyone suggest an torrent client with gui on openbsd?

transmission

>I could but escape characters confuse me
you could easily remove most of them with regular expressions, the most confusing part is really the color variables

Hey Sup Forumsuys, I finished some stuff for the first week of classes, and now I'm installing Xorg and gonna get Xfce for that netbook I mentioned about a week ago.

>I was the guy who originally was trying TrueOS, but it wouldn't work so I got straight FreeBSD for my sister's broken netbook

Will have to make sure my freaking network card works, though... I'm using Ethernet on the Mobo atm.

IDK if I'll do that tonight or not, but I wanna get Xorg and Xfce up at least

I wish you the best. My desktop mobo's ethernet works.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes in a bit. Xorg currently installed.
I'll configure it later.

Downloading/installing Xfce now

Well, I tested Xorg. It does work. I'll have to figure out how to use it, though

Gonna try Xfce and maybe do some configurations

Apparently, my NIC is already supported. BCM4312. So, it might just have been a configuration problem. I'll try some stuff.

Also, installed Wine, FF, Opera, and Chrome
Gonna have to try them all out and whatnot.

Anything else I should install? I'm gonna try Code::Blocks after I get some more crap configured

Xorg isn't that hard after you understand a few things. mouse button 1 to select and copy, 2 to paste, and 3 to select in a different way to copy
But the thing I never learnt until much later, which you should know right now:
in xterm and many other X programs, ctrl-mouseclick gives you a menu. Usually, three menus: one for each different mousebutton you try while holding control. Try it in xterm and xedit.

transmission
get the gtk or qt version
i forget which one it is

I'll give that a shot later. Gonna store it.

Also, Xfce works. Just got it up. It's the same thing from when I tried Fedora once. Not bad, actually.
I'm gonna make an alias for it so I can start it easy

Once my Banana Pi arrives on Tuesday, I'll be installing OpenBSD and transmission to use it as a seedbox, ftp server, and possibly an http server occasionally
Any recommendations config-wise?

protip: look into startx and ~/.xinitrc to easily start up your de, it'll allow you to do a lot more custom stuff like start certain programs automatically etc
if you want to log directly into xfce and skip the command line, xdm is for you
read the manpage on it

xdm is a pain. It's far superior to just login and type startx

i agree though some people don't like bothering with the command line every time, only to immediately type startx and nothing else

Isn't the freebsd HQ near the NSA HQ?

Ok, i'll check that out

Thanks

Once I figure out what exactly is wrong with the freaking network card, this system could actually, truly, be a viable OS for me.

I DO plan to install it as my primary when I get myself a desktop.

Only use WinX for certain applications after that.

UNIX is so pleasant to use, and the CLI isn't total fucking shit like Windows'

I hope to really get into this

To find where the default xinitrc is on your computer, do:
find / -name xinitrc -print
Then copy that file to your home directory, and rename it to .xinitrc. Then, look near the bottom, and replace twm with whatever command starts xfce.

I'm about to download OpenBSD. When it downloads should I just copy this on my flash drive or else?
With GNU/Linux you just had to extract ISO on it.
Other than that, what do I need to know as a long-time GNU/Linux user?

for a usb drive download the .fs image
then dd it to your drive

install60.fs, that is

So base, game, man etc. are already included in .fs?
That'll save me lots of time. Thanks mate.

In OpenBSD, everything is included. During the install you can decide what you want. I recommend having everything installed.

I can't think of anything right off the bat that will be hard for a gnu/linux user
the man pages are full of useful info
some protips tho:
there is no sudo, instead an improved tool called doas (read the manpage)
package management is pretty different, look into the man pages for pkg_add and friends. the website also has a pretty good faq on this. make sure $PKG_PATH is properly set
the default shell is ksh, which is not immediately different from bash, so it shouldnt be an issue
the disk naming system is very different, in openbsd you have disk names starting with sd or wd. sd is what most of your disks will show up as, wd is generally only for older drives. after that you have a number starting from zero which is which disk it is (i.e. your first hdd/ssd will be sd0, next one that is plugged in or detected will be sd1, etc). partition numbers are denoted with letters after that. sd1a is partition a on the second disk, etc. partition c is a special partition that refers to the entire disk
like i said read the faq and manpages, they'll explain stuff better than me

Don't use $PKG_PATH. Use pkg.conf instead.

good idea, i was unaware of this

There isn't my keyboard layout and FreeBSD creates me some I/O error (it shows like my HDD is 20TB or something).
But I want some BSD. What else do you recommend? And is it good idea to boot it along Windows and GNU/Linux?

unless you are prepared to spend hours fiddling with config i would not recommend triple booting

Can I boot BSD with old GRUB though?

what's your keyboard layout

Croatian. That'd probably be hr or croat.

bobo smrade
Interestingly enough it seems as though there was an OpenBSD hackathon in Croatia in 2015.

you might, this page has info for freebsd:
freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/disks.html#idp59232616

Fellow Yugoslav on Sup Forums :')
I'm gonna give one more try to FreeBSD, then I'm gonna try Dragonfly or NetBSD. Wish me luck Sup Forums

I'm actually American.
By googling I found this:
forums.freebsd.org/threads/41686/
It looks about right but I don't know. Try it out.

there's no hr in the console but once you've installed you can use it in X

oh, ok. That sounds pretty good.
I might do just that.

qBittorrent. Best there is

Desktop tweaks for FreeBSD?

ktorrent

There's some neat stuff being worked on in OpenBSD

binary updates for the base and packages
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160911012316

dynamic profiling system like DTrace
undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20160909012520

>qBittorrent
>on openmeme
In your dreams

Does libreoffice work on openbsd? I'll switch completely over to openbsd from linux if it has libreoffice, a torrent client and a good music player.

>libreoffice, a torrent client and a good music
Checked
>Torrent Client
Do you like transmission
>Good music
Can OpenBSD play non-free codecs? IDK.

The thing you should be mostly worried about is WiFi drivers

Yeah I already use transmission, so that will be neat. I want a good music player that's all because I like to play music while I use my pc. Dunno much about wifi drivers but as long as it can connect to wifi internet then I'm completely fine.

Get VLC or SMPlayer.

Go ahead and install and tell us how it went

Alright ty for the advice. Gonna install openbsd on this new thinkpad I just got for school, thanks user :)

bump

Any advice with UFS on desktop? How fast is it compared to ext4?

>xdm is a pain
neet world problems