When was the last time you fucked up your computer, Sup Forums?

When was the last time you fucked up your computer, Sup Forums?

I bent some keyboard connectors on my thinkpad, making it type all weird. I was about to buy a new one, since it was the laptop itself fucking up, but I was able to just bend them back into place.

I fucked my laptop because I used it 12 hours a day for four years. Gradually, everything broke until it was unusable

Don't use laptops as your main PC

I fucked up a 3 core processor for some gateway PC once. That was many, many years ago.

Watching Filthy Frank, How to cook Human ramen video, on my HP All in One computer. My PC then blue screened. I went to boot it up again, but it got stuck on the Windows start up animation ever since. I'm just gonna assume my HDD died.

>not using Linux and being fine with blie screens

You mean poorly built laptops.
build quality is really important when it moves around as much as a laptop does.

I used my PC for months on an ungrounded line. It shocked me through my mouse and died, eventually.

I fucked up my Thinkpad today when I tried to put in some new thermal paste. Now it won't start and the keyboard is a little bit bent.

See, that's the thing, I didn't want to install Linux until AFTER this shit happened. And because I'm not good at diagnosing computer error screens and crap, i've put it off ever since. (Because I have a Macbook Pro for college.)

Had 5 year warranty on my sisters HP, every single year at the end of summer we would send it back to get the case replaced. Never again

I used a dell laptop 8+ hours a day for 6 years

It still works minus the cpu showing its age.

Depending on the voltage/resultant damage, getting shocked is either hilarious or enough to make a prebuilt seem good.

2 years ago, when I tried installing installing linux.

I left an ethernet cable in a location where my cat could chew on it.

Was an easy fix but sometimes i wanna throw the cat out the window.

A week ago I dropped my Thinkpad x220 from a chair. HDD cover broke and the HDD popped out but it werks.

Sure, but I'd rather have a disposable netbook and a modular desktop that won't suddenly be completely useless. Depends on your situation of course.

Last week, I put my laptop under running water to clean the keyboard.

Of course battery and motherboard died, but luckily it was a Dell under complete care, so they just replaced both.

Oh yeah, and now the keyboard is clean by the way.

u did wat

Oh yeah- I was in a bathroom holding my Acer C720 a few months ago and set it on top of a paper towel dispenser. The thing slid off and hit the ground hard from about 4-5 ft.

Thing works fine- no problems with it. Scared the shit out of me though.

The laptop won't become suddenly useless if it's well built, that's my point. Less useful, sure, but that's very different.

i use thinkpad, i can't fack it up. fag.

Dropped some cheap ass Toshiba laptop many moons ago, screen was throughly fucked and the mobo was cracked clean down the middle. At the time it was my only computer so my little 15 year old world was pretty fucked for a bit.

I know that's your point, my point is that well-built laptops are fucking expensive

Put it under running water, to clean the keyboard.

$200, nigga. only downside is that it's a gen 2 i series. you can get a gen 6 for $500 more.
speaking to the thinkpad X series, that is. I think the T series is similarly priced.

>When was the last time you fucked up your computer, Sup Forums?

The other day I compiled a program I wrote that aborted because it said "smack smashing detected."

tried forcing out an lcd panel, cracked it in half. could have destroyed a core2 yesterday trying to pin-mod it, but the machine just refused to boot, so it still works.

Just....
Why?

I just told you, to clean the keyboard, it was feeling muddy.

CPU showing its age?

Heat, I would assume. It would have been normal when it was new, or the OS was lighter.

Why the fuck are you bringing your laptop into the bathroom in the first place?
Are you one of those autists who can't spend a few minutes taking a shit without needing to check FB?

I wasn't using it- I was getting my oil changed and I didn't have my bag or anything to keep it in. I went to wash my hands and set it down and it fell

I installed arch a year ago.

why do hp laptops always fuck up at that point near the fan?

not my desktop, but on my freenas box. tried to use the gui to update it, then it went into a restart loop. didn't have to reinstall though, just used the default boot option.

kind of annoying... but i had the config backed up before the updates so not a big deal.

>have thinkpad
>carry it somewhere in backpack
>fucks up the ram, keeps crashing or refusing to boot until I reseat it

I can't tell if the fucker needs to be repaired or if putting it in a small backpack in the back of a car is just too rough

Never fuckface. The Five P's.

Never you fucking retard

Netbook took multiple dives from my bunk in uni. Talking ~7ft. It was in standby whenever it happened, and still lives on today. Impressive little bastard.

>literally most of the thread is describing broken thinkpads

Literally never. I got my first PC in 2004 when I was 16 and I've always taken good care of them.

because you roam in a habitat in which many people use thinkpads?

Really, besides its business series (probook), HP is the worst. materials and construction quality, oh and lets not forget about the inase amount of failures due to overheating and lead less solder.

IT monkey here, for a time I work in a repair shop and most of the laptos we got were HP.

I fucked your mom's computer last night

4 years ago, my alienware m17x stopped saving things correctly. I'd log out and log back in and everything was as if it didn't move. So I took a sledge hammer to it and crushed it to pieces, and then ordered parts for a desktop.

Fuck off you massive lonely 14 year old retard.

about 2 months ago I decided to put my pc case inside a piece of furniture, close it's doors, and play vidya.

mobo overheated and something got destroyed, had to buy a new one. All other pieces survived.

sounds like you need new RAM

Tried to replace a cracked screen on a Samsung tablet. Much harder than it looks (at least for me), was in over my head. Fucked the whole thing up, had to buy a new one. Never bothering with it again.

When I installed Grub. It won't go away.

GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Decided I needed more hard drive space, so I put in a new disk and RAID 0'd it right there and then without backing it up or anything.

Previously I was also shocked by some USB peripheral, and the motherboard never worked again.

>Not changing your own oil
>Even setting your PC down anywhere near water
Cucklet detected

I don't think that's it, I never have any problems except when the laptop gets jostled around more than usual while transporting it somewhere and it always works perfectly as soon as I reseat it until the next time

I don't know if you're retarded or just don't give any fucks. Either way, I'm impressed.

op is that a dv6?

My old PSU was dying. GPU started artifacting for no reason then my pc wasnt booting sometimes until the motherboard eventually died entirely.

Now im running a gimped system with a fx-8350, GTX 1070 and microatx 50 dollar asrock mobo and 8gb ddr3 memory.

i fucked my computer, then it smelled bad, then it just shut off and started smoking.

guess i fucked that bitch too hard.

The GPU started artifacting becase the PSU was providing less power or because it killed it? The same is happening here, I'm afraid the GPU is already dead.

My four year old laptop is still sliding along.
Even though it's display is close to fucked, it's cooling fans being dead, and the chassis and some keyboard keys broken.
But I still treat it like my daughteru, I wouldn't trade it for the whole world.

once the booting stopped the artifacting was minor. im not sure why it started but getting a new mobo and PSU didnt fix the artifacting so i got a new GPU.

Now i need 500 dollars in upgrades to stop my 8350 bottlenecking my 1070

my laptop screen had broken and it wasnt posting on a external monitor so i tough i had to disconnect the laptop monitor from it so i took it apart had to bend alot of shit but then i realised i had the wrong input on my monitor and my laptop didnt post anymore cause i took it apart

Not really a fuck up, but:
>last night, shitty friends made me buy Overwatch
>runs like shit on my laptop, try to have fun regardless
>Unlock a preview animation or something
>animation starts, supposed to be a POV of someone about to be executed
>"eyes" close
>video goes black
>screen goes black right after
>"is this part of the animation?"
>screen goes blue, error codes pop up
>"IS THIS PART OF THE ANIMATION???"

It wasn't.

Been using one as my daily workhorse for 2 years now, still going strong, sans the above story.

I was going through a thrift store when I came across an actual working ThinkPad 600 (T20 or whatever name) for 5$.
>go to pay and the fucking hag store clerk wouldn't let me buy the power connector because it didn't have a 'label'
>Spend the next hour running around town looking for a universal power adapter
>find one that's been in the store so long the plastic casing turned yellow
>get home and plug that bad boy in
>3 seconds later smoke is shooting out it like a volcano
The universal adapter had NO markings for polarity

>tfw you killed a good old working piece of tech

Just started dating this girl. She owns a MacBook. I spill coke all over it, losses everything...
Good times...

After apologies forever, taught her the fine art of saving and backing up data.

>transferred schools last year
>classes got ridiculously hard
>study my ass off but i'm still failing
>live at home, mom supports me and tries to get me tutoring for the subjects
>every tutor she gets me is some online, whiteboard, microphone bullshit and none of them can explain a fucking thing
>worse than just failing the classes altogether, cause it eats away at what little time i have
>it's fine at first, but it's starting to get on my nerves a couple of weeks later since she keeps insisting that i try out new tutors
>she wakes me up at 3:30 one day saying she found a guy in fucking china who;s willing to teach me something
>yell at her for waking me up so goddamn early and then log in on my laptop to try and talk to the guy
>his website was unresponsive nigger shit and i ended up flexing and shaking my laptop's screen like a fucking ape to the point that the panel broke
>don't know what i would have done if my mom were in the room with me
it doesn't excuse my childish behavior, but i fucking hate college. every day i spend at my new school makes me want to kill myself.
had it been any other person in my mom's shoes at the time, i would be out on the street begging for food right now.

>tfw ywn get married to a person who's as dedicated to her children as your mom is
>tfw ywn get married

what an asshole

>Filthy Frank
You are human trash, please consider removing yourself from the genepool.

Sat my laptop on the edge of my bed, cat jumped up and pulled it into the floor breaking the screen.

I installed gentoo

grumpy gunt go remove yourself too pls

A year ago I tried to fix my laptop to clean the cooling fan and I fucked the entire shit up lmao, HP sucks btw

If you use a laptop that much, you should probably just get a new one every year or so

my last laptop started overheating to 125c. literally burned my hand on it once.

>retards like these are allowed to post here

Sorry I don't know how to repair a motherboard vir/g/in

Hey! you missed someone

You accidentally quoted my facetious post.

This is what happens when you pour ink in your laptop.
Well actually works fine when the're only 2GB of RAM in it but doesn't work when >2GB, both RAM slots are fine, probably the Chipset is damaged or idk.

>retards like this are allowed to post here

>Filthy Frank
You can't possibly fuck up your computer more than you have fucked up in life.

>cheap plastic
>terrible low-contrast glossy screen
>using anything from hp