Who here has OC their monitor? Post monitor and results

Who here has OC their monitor? Post monitor and results.

Managed to get 71Hz on a generic 24" LG TN panel and a 76 on a professional IPS HP Z22i

Other urls found in this thread:

monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I can on my viewsonic from 60 to 120, although it is at 800x600

Is 800x600 native? Or would it be likely if i set mine to say 1280x720 to achieve better results?

AOC 2450, i have a 72/1.001Hz mode set up with it
haven't tried finding a higher one

TN/IPS?

BenQ RL2460HT 75hz

Panasonic 50PHD5, runs 48 ,50 ,60 ,75 ,85, 100, 120 at native 1366x768

Problem is the DAC in modern cards is so bad you lose some fidelity after about 85hz

TN, cheap as

LG E2290
1920x1080 @ 60Hz, TN

OC to 78Hz over HDMI
OC to 85Hz at 1600x900

Gonna test this out when i get home. Curious if i can get 120 under any given circumstance. Most people claim that 120 is by far superior to 60 in terms of gaymen but i somwhat feel i can't tell the difference for the life of me.

Also the 78 is quite impressive.

some toshebee tv, it says 120hz on my control panel at 1366x768. oldie crt with 2048x1536 at 100hz shit so loud after switching. and dell 19 75hz at 1440x900

depends on the monitor, lcd transitions are not instantaneous so a 100hz crt can/will look sharper than an ips panel running at 165hz

real response time data is hard to come by and there is no standard methodology so manufacturers can claim anything under the sun

This. I usually push 75 for counter strike because the colours don't matter as much, but the ghosting is terrible in everything else.

To add to this, I was only getting 68Hz 1920x1080 using DVI and Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).

With HDMI and AMD drivers, I hit 78.

AOC 2963PM
75Hz up from 60Hz at 2650×1080

3 Catleaps at 120Hz

E-ink monitors when?

USB touch screen monitors when?

xl2411z, 144hz

sometimes i feel like i should have got a qnix instead.

how?

basically, a monitor has a set of basic limitations such as maximum pixel clock (MHz), horizontal refresh (Hz) and vertical refresh (Hz)
and the "officially supported" modes are provided to the computer via EDID, which is a list of modelines stored inside the monitor

the idea here is to configure your computer to output custom/arbitrary modes that aren't in the monitors' EDID, while still being within the basic limitations of the monitor, so these technically aren't overclocks (unless you actually do exceed one of the basic limits, though most modern monitors will refuse anything that does so)

as for "how do i do this", you can do so with xrandr in linux, or your graphics driver configuration gui in windows

i was able to get to 74hz on my LG 27 inch monitor.

to give you an example, my monitors is;
native maximum: [email protected]
basics (from the Xorg log);
>Ranges: V min: 50 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 30 H max: 83 kHz, PixClock max 175 MHz
i have a [email protected] mode, which uses a pixel clock of 156.96MHz, horizontal of 78.5kHz, which is all within the limitations listed

Two cheap monitors, both went to 77 and not one Hz higher.

Fun fact: HDMI gave me better results than DVI.

>or your graphics driver configuration gui in windows

Or if you don't want that bloat, CRU:
monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Ah, I see. I could probably get it to 75Hz, but my computer is very weak; won't increasing the hertz result in a slight (graphics') performance loss?

i don't know

>won't increasing the hertz result in a slight (graphics') performance loss?
not, it will increase the cap of how much your computer will do in n time when using vsync'd programs, but without vsync your machine will render as fast as it can independent of the speed of the monitor

Not him and I didn't do any proper tests, but I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

But if you play (fast) games like CS:GO it's worth it and even 75Hz makes a visible difference.
If you don't play that it might not be worth it at all.

It's easy and pretty much risk free, though, unlike regular overclocking.
The worst thing that can happen is your monitor will stay black on boot, but that's easy to fix.

to explain, vsync on a 60Hz display will cause the program to render no more than 60 frames each second, where at 75Hz it will try to render up to 75 frames each second

but just having a higher monitor refresh rate doesn't affect how fast the machine renders things, the process of sending frames to a monitor happens in a seperate part of a graphics card than graphics rendering

-- one more thing, the only place this can affect performance is on embedded devices which generate a video signal using the CPU, where a higher refresh rate directly correlates to higher CPU usage
but this has never been the case for PC's, or anything else that uses independent graphics processors with framebuffers

BenQ-RL2455HM

from 60 to 72. any higher it gives up and defaults to 1600x900

I don't play games. I've just noticed occasional tearing when watching video, and if overclocking could fix this I'll do it.

I'm using a 2006-tier integrated graphics card FYI, that's why I was somewhat worried about the performance thing.

The tearing thing might be the CPU's fault, as well; I am not really well-versed in the whole thing.

Anyway, I appreciate these explanations. It's an opportunity to learn.

tearing is a result of not synchronizing to the monitors' refresh cycle
typically this is a software issue, either the software doesn't support it, is not configured to do it, or the graphics driver is forcing it off

changing the monitor refresh rate doesn't make vsync easier or harder for the computer to achieve

there is an advantage to using certain refresh rates for certain video though, namely using refresh rates that are a multiple of the video you're playing, this is the main reason i have multiple custom modes, in fact
for example, i play 25/50fps videos at 50Hz, 15/30/60fps videos at 60Hz, 24fps video at 72Hz, plus a couple for 30/1.001 and 24/1.001fps variants
this ensures that each frame is displayed for the correct amount of real time, every time, which eliminates jitter/stutter