Requesting advice

Hello Sup Forums. Simple question,

What is the most stable Linux distribution. I just need something that will work.

Most stable for what? A server? I'd say Debian or CentOS.

> Never breaks if you don't mind configuring things
Arch, gentoo
> Uses outdated packages
Debian
> """"""""Stable"""""""" and botnet
Ubuntu
>Best for servers
Any in the RHEL family

No not a server. For a developer OS. I don't want to spend hours setting shit up. I want everything to just work.

>stable
>just werks
CentOS and Debian as said.

Debian Unstable just works and has not so outdated packages. Ubuntu just works too.

> Arch, gentoo
True. They never break if you know how to use them.
But if you know how to use those, every distro is stable.

Well, I tried KUbuntu in a VM environment and I couldn't get the virtual machine extensions working. Also it said it can't find gcc and that's just too much work already. I don't want to think that much

How can you function in real life?

Ubuntu will probably be best as a lazy solution, but Arch/Gentoo (or their derivatives) will give you the most freedom. I hear Debian Unstable is a decent compromise, however I cannot in good conscience, recommend a distro I have not tried.

The most stable would be Slackware or Debian.

Anyone saying Arch can be stable has no idea what stability means. Try upgrading just one of your packages, for example.

Very easily. I use Windows as my primary OS.

Seconding & checking

I rate Debian over CentOs personally, but i think apt-get is good

This post is from someone who just installed Ubuntu on their laptop and somehow thinks they know Linux. None of what you posted is true.

pacman can complain as hell, but if you want to force something you can do it
of course you have to know what you're doing as if you don't chances are that you will break something

Debian Stable, or if you want "not-so-old" packages, just give Ubuntu 16.04 or one of its variants a shot.

>Debian Unstable just works
>mfw
I use it at work. I'm pretty happy with it but when shit hits the fan, it hits it hard. They fucked something regarding dependencies last month while i was trying to 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I saw that the operation would have removed my KDE5 system entirely for god knows why. It was fixed a few days later though. Be careful about unstable, bugs and fuckups happen, but they are fixed quickly.
Would'nt recommend debian/testing though, as bugs can get up to a few weeks to get fixed.

>I just need something that will work.

Not a single Linux distribution then.

Linsux users sweat at the mere sight of the word "stable"

*buntu. Don't go full crazy and tinker your system too much and you are good

Linux is way more stable than windows here

>No wifi drops
>No file corruption
More importantly
>No "automatic reboot"