The Real Reason Apple Wants to Kill the Audio Jack: $159 Headphones

But so what? They sound great. And they should, because Apple wants you to pay $159 for them when they ship in late October.

They’ve got a thoughtful buttonless design that relies on double taps and Siri commands to skip songs or make phone calls. And the process through which you pair them to the iPhone is about as dead simple and intuitive as it gets. Once you’ve paired your AirPods with your iPhone, Apple uses your iCloud account to pair them with your other Apple devices. Untethered from one another by any cords, they are fully, independently wireless. And they’ll work with anything running iOS 10, Watch OS 3, or MacOS Sierra.

AirPods use Bluetooth for their connection. Bluetooth headphones have historically suffered from a conga line of connectivity problems: onerous pairing, dropped connections, crappy sound. Apple is confident it’s solved them all with that W1 chip. “As you can imagine, by developing our own Bluetooth chip and controlling both ends of the pairing process there’s a lot of magic we can do,” Ternus says. “We use a Bluetooth connection, but cover it in a lot of secret sauce.”

Just what’s in the secret sauce, Apple won’t say. But AirPods have been in development for a while. “These are as advanced a project as Apple Pencil,” Schiller told me. “We started this project when we started the Watch project. We knew we needed a great wireless solution for audio. We said, ‘What if you could design what the future of headphones should look like?’ That’s what we asked the team to do.”

buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/inside-iphone-7-why-apple-killed-the-headphone-jack?utm_term=.eso0XpRDW#.ujmj4E16Y

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPXiOirncTA
archive.is/lvyCM
engadget.com/2008/03/11/the-first-mp3-player-celebrates-its-10th-birthday/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>they sound great
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
GOOD ONE MATE

Hey it's this thread again. Here's everything people here are going to bitch about:

>they look ugly
>people's gonna lose them!
>one more thing to charge ruins my life
>Apple just wants yr money!

Bottom line: They're completely optional. Don't want them? Don't buy them. Why bitch about something you were never going to buy in the first place?

Because it fucks the market and inspires others to do it too.

Literally nobody knows.

>They sound great.

Damn that picture look sexy as hell, I gotta admit.

>muh wires

I promise you grandpa, there will always be a wired option. You never have to change, it'll be ok.

>they sound great
There's a lot of reasonable excuses for what Apple did, this is not one of them.
These are the same old $80 apples craps from 6 years ago, but how they're Bluetooth and 200% easier to steal

wat do?

Nice blog post.

We need to make a fake ad for these like the apple wave

Is this you?
youtube.com/watch?v=QPXiOirncTA

i bet they made a device for the NSA and FBI to eavesdrop on phonecalls

How is it optional when the iPhone 7 doesn't have a jack?

I guess I can buy the $100 adapter. Want to listen to music and charge your phone? Fuck you.

I'm not against Bluetooth headphones.
I just find it funny to push wireless when your flagship batteries can't even handle a day with screens that aren't even 1080p.

Imagine a future where you have to buy all your accessories from the company that made the phone.

Why is Sup Forums so fucking uninformed? I mean, I get it, you don't like Apple, me neither, but at least check your shit.

It has a jack. It comes with earbuds that connect to the lightening port, there are also many headphones on the market that have a lightening connector already. Want to use your own headphones? Use the included adapter. Lose the adapter? A replacement is $9. Don't like the direction Apple is going Then it's not the phone for you. In the end the airpods are completely 100% optional.

>Inside each AirPod, there is an Apple W1 wireless chip (the company’s first), two accelerometers, two optical sensors, two beam-forming microphones, an antenna, and an incredibly small battery that can power it for five hours (listening; talk time is two hours), plus another three hours with a short 15-minute boost from a diminutive Lightning-based charging case. (“We were really focused on power efficiency,” Ternus says. “Maniacally focused.”)

>defending $500 adapters

Requiring you to have an open blue tooth connection. Isn't that a pretty easy doorway into all their precious little iphones?

That's what is so annoying about this board in the last couple years. Apple has always received hate here. But lately the people here bitch about things they are completely uninformed about and look really stupid in doing so. It ultimately makes the whole board look pretty bad.

all dominant companies want this

and I can't think of one company that has succeeded at it

attempting to corner the market and drive accessory makers away is a good recipe to rally them into a superior standard

>"What if you could design what the future of headphones should look like?"

What about the Bluetooth eating your percentages up on the actual phone ?

We need to kill headphone jacks old ass technology

Just like how floppy disk died out
people are skeptical at first when companies start selling computers without floppy disk

Do you know how little battery using bluetooth headphones use over wired ones. It's like a 2% difference over 6 hours or something equally insignificant.

Except compact disks were actually better at their purpose on all points.

It's not the same. Floppy discs held us back in terms of storage. The headphone jack has never held anything back.

>The headphone jack has never held anything back.
This.

Proof. Whatever the progress Bluetooth technology makes, I sincerely don't think emitting radio waves is battery friendly compared to good old wires.

Apple has a vision of a wireless future. Can they achieve perfection in one generation? No. But they are making progress and are the only company with the balls to force change. And again: Don't like it? Stick with whoever you're with, no one is forcing you to buy it.

Apple shill pls go

Apple has a vision of printing money for its headphone business. Don't be naive.

>Bluetooth headphones
>$159
>M-maybe the sound is great

Yeah, no.

wireless is still shitty and u have to recharge it all the time. main reason why i refuse to buy wireless pc peripherals

>They sound great
Post purchase rationalization or ignorance of comparably priced wired headphones?

if apple will success in this wireless technology just like how they suprised the world that they put 10,000 songs in a small portable device back then
sooner or later we will see wireless powered devices within like 1-2 meters
samsung, sony, etc. will follow

white mans company will innovate

Don't worry, you'll still be able to use your $500 Sennheisers via the FREE dongle Apple includes with each iPhone 7.

the iPhone is a class 2 radio, so its max output is 2.5mW. Amplifier in iPods are around 60mW from what I can tell.

I paid $200 for my 598's and they most likely sound 5x better than those earbuds

>Linking directly to Buzzfeed
ISHYGDDT
It's like the faggot OP wants them to make money.

archive.is/lvyCM

>my giant overear headphones sound better than earbuds

You don't fucking say. Has everyone on this board gone completely retarded in the last six months?

>#courage

The problem with these changes is it makes people who still own the original iPad or iPhone not able to use the device in the future. It wouldn't be bad if these accessories lasted longer.

You were the one who compared them first. Sennheiser earbuds are like $100 and also sound way better

I think you're the retard

>you

Why not just make a wireless Jack feature?

engadget.com/2008/03/11/the-first-mp3-player-celebrates-its-10th-birthday/

>But so what? They sound great.
but who gives a fuck when they're so uncomfortable they're still basically 1 tier above literal ear rape

how did that innovation go with the ash tray known as Mac Pro?

that's not really a fair comparison, the mainstream couldn't give a fuck about workstations anyway, let alone a niche product like the mac pro that nobody was buying even before the ""refresh""

what apple does with phones is going to be far more influential because their phones are actually competitive

how is this even a counterpoint? his retarded post didn't imply they were the first to the market, and those pieces of shit nobody ever bought sure as hell weren't sporting 5GB+ microdrives

>niche product

So, you're saying Apple is a company geared to normies?

>he posted a counterargument but i want to be right so ill just ignore the facts and continue spouting off invalid bullshit to defend my fragile ego

>apple pencil

I still refuse to believe this is a thing

>Advanced as an Apple Pencil

Hahah Apple is so cringeworthy it's almost not even funny at this point. And the best part is, their longtime customers absolutely lap this shit up

And fanboi trolls like you would attack anything Apple brought out. You do your masters' bidding reflexively. I'll bet they don't even have to prime you, let alone pay you.

I thought Apple was alright back in the day, like when that pussy Steve Jobs was still alive, but now....

>apple pencil

Ahahahahah

they sound GREAT
they look GREAT
AMAZING

if Steve jobs were around he would have insisted they be available in a rainbow of fruity colors as fashion accessories for girls.

>Schiller told me
Is this de dawn of a giga-pajeet?

>normies
I can see your cheeto crumbed neckbeard from here.

You should probably just kill yourself.

>it's better because it's newer!

Stop pretending like this is somehow in the name of wireless or that people who use wires are unaffected. Removing the headphone jack does absolutely nothing for bluetooth, you could develop a new wireless standard and keep the jack. As for people who use wires, they have to use an adapter with an extra dac to achieve the same thing they had before.
>then buy some other phone
But we're talking about this phone.

But is there a feature built in that makes the motherfuckers beep louldly when you lose them and use your paired iPhone to activate them.

Or is their some form of GPS that can accurately detect where they might be so I can go hunting for them with compass?

>$159 Headphones

When will Applefags wake up and stop tithing their paychecks to the church of St.Jobs? Do they have to literally fuck a customer up the ass on stage for them to get it?

Probably not.

On the upside Apple will sell you a single earbud when you lose one.