/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813128840
newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835&cm_re=Z170-_-13-128-835-_-Product
osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html
youtu.be/68tOzuoDn6Y?t=2m11s
raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/
forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4
web.iitd.ac.in/~skak/map706/LINUX-FS.pdf
ubuntudanmark.dk/filer/fwunixref.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Can a faulty sd card kill an sd card reader? Both my laptop's sd slot and an usb card reader stopped working completely after I used a corrupted, unformattable sd card with them. For first few tries it worked, sd showed up in explorer, I could transfer files (though my display driver started crashing, what the fuck), but when I tried it later again, both readers seemed dead, even when using other sd card.

i suppose it's not impossible, though i haven't heard of it happening

Im installing Kali from USB. I made an ext4 partition for it, with a 4gb swap partition along side. Grub should be installed as well, however, grub does not boot on load, it goes straight to Intel bootloader.

After selecting my HDD to boot into, it reverts back to bootloader, cant even detect windows partition. I can only use Kali Live now.

What went wrong?

>installing kali

there was your first mistake

Strawman. Im trying to learn netsec. Pls suggest something better or dont respond to me or my post again

Idk what ur on about but simply viewing pages wont get you in trouble. Contributing, collaborating, or possession of sketchy or illegal materials will.

what do I do with .diff patches for surf

I copied their content to config.h

didn't work

thanks friendo, thats what i figured but this page was really sketchy, even more so than Sup Forums is

If I have two different speeds of ram in the same channel, will that cause problems? Will it work like the GTX 970 VRAM where it won't use the slower DIMMs until the faster ones are full?
My situation would be 2 sticks DDR3-1600 with 2 sticks DDR3-1333 in dual channel mode.

Would I need to under/overclock to match the clocks and/or timings?
Pic unrelated

Everything will run at 1333

is that shorting the port

what would happen if it were shorting the port

And your slowest timings. You don't need to worry about any special settings.

I want a phone that isn't too outdated which:

- has a removable battery cover and microsd
- is rootable without difficulty
- is not made by any Chinese company(huawei, xiaomi, etc)

Please advise.

Why do so many ebay sellers give auto-feedback when payment clears? Seems like I could be a total dick and start a return and never send it (just an example) and yet they will have given me 5 stars just because my payment cleared. I guess if you sell dozens of things daily you don't want to fuck around giving out feedback, but still.

I advise you you ditch your prejudice.

I could try to overclock the 1333 DIMMs as long as I keep timings the same though, right?
I know it's a stupid idea (hence sqt) but I'm about to buy a 6 stick kit for a home server and only use 4 sticks, I figured I'll put the other two in my desktop.
I don't really care that much anyway, I'll give it a try.

what is THE best 1TB hard drive?

exactly what you just said

when you've made it a business, you don't have time to go through every single transaction and give an honest rating, just give it an go

>tfw you buy items all the time and never leave feedback on the seller's page
>tfw your account is full of positive feedback
:^)

Sounds like a power issue, either from shitty mains input or a shitty Taiwanese power supply doing what they do

Hitachi (HGST) Ultrastar

Yeah, same. I want to start selling some extra games and shit but I'm not sure if my buyer feedback translates into good seller feedback. I'm also not sure if including those little "please upvote if u like me" paper slips that some sellers do is a good idea, it's like begging.

This is not good advice. Most laws are still written by people who don't know anything about computers. To them, having it in your cache(from "simply" viewing pages) is the same as downloading it to jack off to.

The China thing? Not prejudice. It's a direct reaction to their actual behavior. If I lived in China I wouldn't want a phone made in NSAmerica, and living in the US I don't want a phone made by our primary cyber-warfare adversary.

If your motherboard's settings flexible enough you can potentially get away with a lot. But ram is finicky. Often people will go out and buy absolutely identical sticks and have them not pair well or at all. Which is why the factory tests pairs before sending them out together. If you drop the idea of dual channel you might have more success, but there's a performance hit. Might work, might not, but you're heading into murky waters. You'd want to ask around forums for people who do this a lot.

When I'm playing one particular game, I get frequent lag spikes that make it unplayable.

Unless, as I discovered by accident, I have my torrents seeding. I've tried toggling them on and off while alt tabbing in and out of the game, torrents on = lag off, torrents off = lag on.

What the fuck is this shit?

Well I'm getting them regardless, best case is I fuck around in my bios and get my ram to play nicely, worst case scenario is I have two sticks of DDR3-1333 left sitting in a drawer. I'm okay with either.

what if its sata 3gb/s? I know hard drives can not transfer at anywhere near that speed but does it hinder performance somehow compared to 6gb/s?

also 32mb cache compared to the 64 of most wd and agate drives

I am buying a 6700k cpu and I am wondering which z170 motherboard i should go with. Is there any big difference between this newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813128840 and this newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835&cm_re=Z170-_-13-128-835-_-Product

To my knowledge, the data throughput is the only difference. If your drive isn't capable of transferring at 3 Gb/s anyway, I don't see why it would matter. I may be wrong though.

I take it back then, I just mentioned hitachi because they have the lowest failure rate.

Do I have to give a single fuck about Linux if I'm interested in coding?
Do programming-related jobs require knowledge about this shit?
I'm a beginner in coding, learning Python right now

Is it better to be alone or catch oral herpes?

yes

I've been substitute teaching at an elementary school but they have a proxy. I would imagine going around it would involve some vpn or proxy. Iirc most proxies were blocked so what's a good alternative, honestly just to okay some runescape
Conversely, What's a good laptop to buy to run runescape and maybe a few RTS games and cs

it's a loopback interface, duh
don't you know anything about networking?

upvoted

I typed "xor" but then changed it because native English speakers understand that's what it's intended to be.

How to know if a video is in 10 bit?

Stop being a repulsive weeaboo/otaku and build a nice life for yourself.

Can I use the Asus GTX 660 to run dual monitors for work and maybe light gaming?

because you're probably uploading data and it's using your network and hd resources

if you can't tell by looking at it, then why the fuck do you care if it is?

You're on fucking Sup Forums, moron. The vast majority of people here are weebs, and you're one just by posting here

>The vast majority of people here are weebs

no they aren't. that was the case maybe 10 years ago but not any more

No, you got me backwards. STARTING my torrents STOPS the lag. My network performs better with them running... that seems like bizarro world shit to me

maybe try reinstalling your network drivers

Negative. Problem occurs on other devices and someone in a different city on a different ISP with completely different hardware is having the same issue

that makes little to no sense

backup, reformat and reinstall

>why the fuck do you care if it is
CPU load, just testing something with x264 and x265.
Also if you're running opengl-hq it have deband enabled by default.
>2016
>complaining about anime on image board made for anime in the first place.

How can i tell a USB is totally kill?
I cant access it and is not being detected by windows but it is by ccleaner and malwarebytes.

It happened on both laptop and pc

Check if disk management is seeing it. Also boot up a linux live distro and ahave a look

How come there's such a big difference in charging speed between different USB cables? I thought my power bank was broken because it was barely charging but I tried plugging in a different cable and it was charging more than twice as fast. What should you look for when buying charging cables?

I have a i5 6500 and a GTX 1070
What kind of monitor should I buy?

It is detected but i cant do anything to it.
It shows as 0MB too, in CCleaner the current space is corrupt(17.8B MB of 8GB)

Ubuntu user from last night here again.
Trying to burn a windows 7 .iso to a flash drive using Ubuntu
The previous set of terminal commands I was given both bricked Ubuntu and, upon re-installing, just didn't work. So I'm here asking for help again.

At this point would it be best to just grab unetbootin or a similar flash drive writing program?

A few years back ebay took away sellers' ability to give negative feedback, which is where the real power was. Withholding positive feedback doesn't really work as leverage so sellers just release the feedback preemptively in the hopes that it will encourage buyers to be more cooperative.

Resistance. You can easily lose 30% of the electricity coming down the cable that way. Nobody really regulates usb cable makers and the standards aren't that strict. Best way to get around it is use as short of cable as possible and/or a good brand like anker.

What are you going to be doing with it? Do you play heavy first person shooter?

Are you more worried about the drive or the data?

Drive, i have a copy of the data.
Its a USB i use to just copy stuff i do around.

Always keep a backup.

Unetbootin should work. Are you having trouble burning any iso, or just the windows installer specifically?

I fell for the Superbiiz meme. How do I cancel my order?

Because I can't find any other thread for it, and because I don't want to make one, is anyone else using Comodo/CIS getting alot of false positives? I've gotten around 18 hits for "malware" in the past 12 hours while Malwarebytes hasn't found a thing.

I play BF1 and Titanfall, some Doom but thats all I plan to do, just muh gaymz

I thought USB uses polling instead of interrupts like PS/2.

How can the mouse wake the PC up from a sleep state then, when there is nothing running, that would poll for mouse input?

Haven't tried anything but the windows .iso so far. Was running it in terminal but the commands I was given literally bricked my OS for no reason and even when I retried it, my computer just booted back to Ubuntu even after "rewriting" the flash drive.

I just ran Unetbootin after reformatting my flash drive so it should be working, I hope.

So I have project(a) on github and a friend ported it to android how does he go about adding it to my repo without me taking credit for it, does he just git clone, add the files git commit then git push or what?

eh I feel stupid

so prices.get() gives me the value from the dictionary, allright, but how do I get the key now? prices[key] returns the value aswell

what am I not getting here :(

Install Kali (Skylake, intel NIC)
DHCP does not work, static Yes.
wtf?

not a py expert in any way, but can't you just use "key" by itself in line 19?

wow this actually worked thanks

I was misguided by that stupid example

Indeed. What does disk management show is on it right now as far as partitions?

1080p is probably fine the, unless you really want the additional resolution. Most people prefer IPS color, but if you do almost exclusively fps you could go with 144hz.

Okay so I burned the Windows 7 .iso to the reformatted, re-mounted Fat32 flash drive

And it fucking boots a broken Ubuntu OS.

Fuck this, I'm shredding the hard drive and buying Windows 10. I don't want to deal with this horseshit anymore. This goddamn OS has bricked itself TWICE trying to rewrite a motherfucking flash drive.

Is it just me or does the MEGA app on Android download faster than on PC?

Just borrow somebody else's computer to rufus it on there from windows.

Western digital black series.

Blank, i got rid of it, going to buy a new one, they are $5 anyway.

If I could have done that I would have. The only other computer I have access to is owned by computer-illiterate family members who probably think torrent clients are for hacking facebook.
I don't give a shit anymore I just want to boot my fucking computer on an OS that doesn't shit its pants every 10 minutes.

What's the general consensus on YIFY for movie torrents?

Mkay. You could also try zeroing the drive with this tool

osforensics.com/tools/write-usb-images.html

You don't need a torrent client. Just take a few minutes to load that ISO on a flashdrive with rufus. Easy as shit.

I can't access the .iso now because Ubuntu bricked itself somehow by unmounting, reformatting, mounting and writing to a flash drive.

how do I get good at electronics and circuit design without going back to school?

I'm OK at soldering but don't have good tools, just crap from radioshack. what's a decent iron ($100 budget) and what are some good projects for practice?

Are any free alternatives to MS office worth using? I've reached the "maximum" amount of activations for my ms office key.

It's yts.ag now, and they're pretty good. The most convenient public tracker to go to.

You should be able to download the iso without a torrent anyway

youtu.be/68tOzuoDn6Y?t=2m11s

raymond.cc/blog/links-for-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-microsofts-official-distributer/

Libre is the next best thing.

I was messing around with my server, trying to set up nextcloud - and now all of a sudden my Madsonic installation can't find my music folder.
>folder not found

The process has all the right permissions.
The path is correct.
I have tried restarting.

What could I be missing?

Are there any smartphone ROMs that don't have any online Google services at all? I mean no Google Play, no OK Google stuff, no Google Search widget and such.

What's a good "linux for noobs" guide?
I mean, a website that can have a pleb (with no interest in the inner workings) set up a working linux os for themselves?

I'm in the job hunt trenches and not finding much in my area except QA Test Engineer openings. How hard is it to learn this stuff, and where do I start?

is there an image viewer that does not stretch or blur pictures in slideshow mode? tryna look at tiny pictures on my CRT but the Windows 10 image viewer blurs them in the slideshow and also doesn't play gifs. The other stock one just moves the pictures around in slideshow mode.

A family member passed on their samsung galaxy tab 4 to me. This is my first tablet so how to I optimize it? How do you guys get the most out of your tablets?

Original thread:

OH I got it.
I thought "execute" in unix file permissions meant executing a program file.

(If you thought so too: it doesn't. you need execute permission to do pretty much anything with a file, even just read its contents)

Yes, many of them don't. Cyanogenmod doesn't have google services unless you specifically add the gapps package.

Try honeyview or XNview

get fdroid and go to it first when you need a general purpose app. Disable bloat apps you aren't using. Don't update your system if you want to root or flash a custom rom. You can find specific roms/root methods here

forum.xda-developers.com/tab-4

thanks, found InfranView but I hate that I gotta manually add pictures to start a slide show. gonna try out your suggestions next.

most if not all third party ones don't have gapps preinstalled because they're not legally allowed to distribute them preinstalled

Is this an okay bend to have on my HD audio cable?

loving honeyview. thanks user!

that's ok, it's not a fiver optic cable which you have to keep above a 90 degree angle or else it snaps.

How do people have high uptimes on stateful services like for example IRC?
Even LTS distros seem to need reboots every month or few months for security/kernel updates.

As far as I can find even high availability clusters wouldn't work with most stateful services.

Why should I go for a mechanical keyboard instead of a regular one for gaming?

Where do I start with programming? Just programming in general, I know nothing on the subject and would like to learn. What language should I start with? Are there any tutorials or websites I should follow?

Basically you just install Linux (stuff like Ubuntu or Mint only requires you to press "OK" buttons).

Then you can learn some basics about the folder structure of Linux:

>web.iitd.ac.in/~skak/map706/LINUX-FS.pdf

Then you can play arround with the terminal.
Some basics commands are here:

>ubuntudanmark.dk/filer/fwunixref.pdf

Congratulations, you are not a noob anymore.

Start with a goal. Come up with a simple project can be solved with programming then research what you need to accomplish that.

If you came here and asked "I'd like to automate my lights from my phone" then people would give you way better advice on how to start.

I think the best option for learning is Python. Is really easy and you can write cool programs withour having to write so much code.

I don't know anything about tutorials, I learned in uni. But try to find tutorials that teach you programming concepts, instead of how to do something specific in Python, in the end you'll learn more.