Will Linux ever become half as relevant as Windows in the enterprise server market?

Will Linux ever become half as relevant as Windows in the enterprise server market?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.lookout.com/blog/2016/08/15/linux-vulnerability-android/
intriggerapp.com/blog/web-technologies-benchmark-report/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Your bait sucks

Nice damage control, lincuck.

that 7682.8% growth for Oracle tho

I'll take that as a "no".

No, because Linux is unsupported, hacked together garbage.

They had just acquired Sun Microsystems, so they went from nearly 0 to all of Solaris.

No? Companies like products with support that isn't a bunch of disorganized weirdos.

Windows is non-entity outside of laptop and desktop.

Of course it isn't, the other markets(outside of phones) aren't dictated by idiots.

Is this a meme? Because Exchange, Microsoft Office, Active Directory, Sharepoint, etc., are literally the industry standard for enterprise e-mail, groupware and directory services. Linux isn't even a contender in that field.

Also, have you seen your own pic?

>over one third of webservers
>non-entity

>one third

That's a non-entity, that's AMD's marketshare a few years ago.

>Linux
>36%

You just shot yourself in the foot.

Holy shit, freetards literally grasping at straws at this point!

Oh, I'm sure Windows is really popular in, SBS, but nobody really cares about that part of the enterprise market.

You wanna pretend UNIX doesn't exist and that it shares 80% of software with Linux?

>UNIX exists
it's been dead for like 20 years, Linux and (somewhat) BSD replaced it.

stop being stupid

Are you retarded?

There's no such thing as enterprise applications outside of Windows. ERPs, accounting software, logistics software, pretty much EVERYTHING enterprise runs on Windows-only.

You can't do any kind of RAD on any platform but Windows. Is there Visual Studio for Linux? Embarcadero C++ Builder for Linux? Heck, Linux doesn't even have an alternative to Microsoft Access!

Please take your fanboyism elsewhere, kid. You've obviously never worked in the real world.

BSD is Unix, so is OS X.
AIX, HP-UX and Solaris are very much not fucking dead.

Window is client only, no backend, enterprise or not uses Windows.

>moving goalposts
Nice try, but we were talking about webservers. Windows holds one third of webserver marketshare, Linux another, and various Unices hold yet another third, according to this freetard 's own source. You can stop being a sophist now.

>no backend

>What is SQL Server?
>What is .NET?
>What is AppFabric?
>What is COM+?
>et cetera ad nauseam...

Shit son, stop embarrassing yourself!

It would be easier to say:

>What is 5% marketshare.

Are we talking about GNU/Linux or Android? Because if we include Android (which runs on a Linux kernel) then a hell of a lot more devices are using Linux than Windows. Linux has won the mobile game. If Microsoft keeps fucking up their desktop OS then Linux in the form of GNU/Linux distributions like Ubuntu will slowly but surely kill them. When Ubuntu has full gaming support Windows will die and professionals who need image/video manipulation tools like Adobe Photoshop will use Macs. UNIX won. Get over it.

What a waste of good trips. There's still time to delete this post and save yourself the embarrasment, user.

Wow, you are really out of touch.

Windows is the standard in the business world, front-end and back-end.

>Unix won
Oh, so NOW Linux is Unix?

But when we're debating what a clusterfuck systemd is and how it goes diametrically against Unix philosophy, suddenly Linux isn't Unix anymore!

Nice cognitive disonance, retard...

I'm sure the marketshare numbers reflect that.

>muh android is linux
Yeah, and that's why it sucks so hard.

blog.lookout.com/blog/2016/08/15/linux-vulnerability-android/

>Because Exchange, Microsoft Office, Active Directory, Sharepoint, etc., are literally the industry standard in non-tech companies where 3 days of down-time are not an issue, security is not mandatory and the workload is composed of 99% of wageslaves shitting excel macros all day long.
FTFY

>W2K3
>2016

Jesus Fuck

>Oh, so NOW Linux is Unix?
Where did I say Linux is UNIX? Literally where? I said UNIX won because because most operating systems used today are UNIX-like such as Android, Mac OS X, iOS, BSD, GNU, etc. Windows only used still because gaymens and it's preinstalled on most PCs. If Ubuntu had full game support and shipped with average PCs hardly anyone would care.

The link you posted makes you look like an even bigger fool. Try reading the articles you post. Just like Stagefright, devices in the wild are not being exploited with it. The article offers two easy fixes to keep users safe while Google works on patching it. Not to mention, there's a thread up about iOS 10 bricking iPhones. Check it out Pajeet.

>non-tech companies
So the absolute majority out there?

>3 days of down-time
Like when your Samba configuration file fucks up your permissions?

>security is not mandatory
So you believe in security as a product? Tell me about that glibc DNS bug that compromised entire Linux systems not too long ago, user.

Tell me what it is like having absolutely NO group policy enforcement software whatsoever. No mandatory access control solution that works without having to edit cryptic files like SELinux. Tell me about security on Linux, user.

>workload is composed of wageslaves
Well, I work with the partners of one of the Big Four, and they don't shit excel macros all day, they shit QuickBooks reports all day long.

But whatever you say, I was 17 once too, I know how it is being mad that your favourite isn't relevant.

>backpedalling hard
>downplaying a serious kernel-level breach
>calling your opponent a pajeet
Maximum damage control.

It's not dead but it is considered legacy.

>Unix is legacy
Maybe that's why Micro Focus just spent 8.8 billion USDs on buying out HP's Enterprise Software division...

While it is an issue, at least there's a fix you can apply without a computer and spending 45 minutes downloading an iOS 9 firmware praying it's still signed. I'll stick with Android, since it seems to "just werk" a hell of a lot better than Wangblows mobile or iOS.
>opponent
>thinking this is a fight
Autism. I called you a Pajeet because you are a Pajeet. Curry and rice on moped with timestamp.

INCREASINGLY NERVOUS

>he thinks all companies can afford to shutdown the network to move on newer os

>A company that focuses on legacy bought a legacy division.

You're not good at proving your point.

>le racist microsoft-users-must-be-indians maymay XDDDDDDDD
Literally kys.

This is somewhat true because uninformed management assume microsoft is the only acceptable serious business solution. You're also somewhat out of touch yourself, because, at least for db, oracle and mysql blow ms sql server out of the water. Why postgres isn't ranked more highly than it is, I will never know. I blame bad management.

>focuses on upgrading legacy to up-to-date
FTFY

I really can't be bothered to care, honestly.

>I said UNIX won because because most operating systems used today are UNIX-like such as Android, Mac OS X, iOS, BSD, GNU, etc.
outside of phones (unless they magically become part of the goalpost now) all those os are completely irrilevant compared to win

Once again, your prove my point.

Now that's some serious delusion.

How much PCs got sold last year? Some 20 million? How much did everything else get sold?

>le racist
Hello plebbit. Were you expecting something else? If so, you may feel more at home on our lgbt board, you fucking faggot.

Unless you include servers. The only reason why you want to cherry pick is because it works in your favor. Look at the big picture (literally here ) and cry like a bitch.

why does market% matter

>muh sheer quantities
Think about cost and relevance. Workstations and servers usually cost more than phones, therefore bring more profit. That's why Microsoft makes a lot more money. They also are employed towards more relevant applications than phones and tablets. Linux owning irrelevant shit like web-facing Apache/nginx http servers and number-crunching supercomputers means jack shit when all your meaningful enterprise data is on a Windows ERP and all your employees are using Microsoft Office to produce all that shit.

>Hello plebbit. Were you expecting something else? If so, you may feel more at home on our lgbt board, you fucking faggot.
Very edgy, but NOT AN ARGUMENT.

>NOT AN ARGUMENT
How wonderfully hypocritical!

Good thing I work in a HPC lab.

Ever hear of Azure? It was even in your beloved TOP500 supercomputer meme-list once.

>this Windows software
>has majority marketshare on Windows

No shit.
Hahaha, Azure.
It's like some shitskin trying to sell me Virtualbox

>Azure
Wow. 9% marketshare among cloud services.

Azure isn't used anywhere else because it's shit, the alternatives are both better, more stable and mature.
It's like telling someone to run MPC-HC on Linux while he already has mpv

>shitskin

even microsoft doesn't use 100% windows, its sad

Azure is actually the best service MS has in a long time because it wants market share, it does it for cheaper and has better support than other cloud solutions.

Tool for the right job, it's just that Windows happens to be a tool that's perfect for most jobs.

And then you woke up or got ejected out of Nutella's buttcrack, whatever feels better.

Can the racist memes imported from Sup Forums please stop?

This is getting out of hand.

No, wrongly colored one.

>blacks, gays and women aren't good at technology X^DDDDDDDDDD

This isn't funny anymore.

You aren't good at anything, much less technology.

delete this

Keep telling yourself that.

Not funny. You can stop now.

Is this before node.js took over the world?

That's from a 2015 report.

intriggerapp.com/blog/web-technologies-benchmark-report/

well it does have coldfusion listed an nothing on python so i'm guessing this was sampled in the early 2000's. But then I'm confused since there is no cgi with perl soo...

>everything Windows
Sure if you are helpdesk.
Wonder why all tech iterate people use Windows ?
Because they grew up with it, schools only use MS stuff and still refuses free and good software.
If every school would only use Linux and every laptop that got sold uses Linux they would be using Linux and not Windows.
MS knows that and pays fat bucks and give allot of extra stuff to schools otherwise they would be replaced

It's from 2015. You just have a skewed view of the world, very distant from the actual. In 2012 there was a massive node.js job boom. By 2014, node.js hadn't reached 1% marketshare. It was a meme.

What is this nonsense? Where's the truckload of backend javascript, python and perl?

Where was this sampled? CNN and foxnews? It feels like shit's just plain missing.

No Go?

There's no such thing. Open source isn't nearly as popular as you freetards imagine. Believe it or not, companies would rather have the safety and familiarity of a supported proprietary solution like ColdFusion rather than some autistic undocumented freetardation, no matter what you think about it.

Stop with your skewed view of the world! Nobody has ever used anything unix to build a website other than ruby!

No what?

Meh.

>implying enterprises commit professional proprietary code to public repositories

How can user be this dumb?

>I never spent a day in a corporate environment let alone held a job: the post

An exchange incident concerning a single user has a 4 hour SLA where I work, there are regular security audits of all the file servers and domain controllers, all the Oracle databases run on Windows servers.
Linux is a joke that nobody takes seriously, literally 1 in 100 servers in our DC runs linux, unless you count ESX.

>professional proprietary code
I love ENTERPRISE

Now roll over and go sleep my child, ASP.net isn't even a thing.

node.js is shit and shilled constantly but nobody really use it

>marketshare figures clearly show Unix-like systems run 60%+ servers
>b-but 1 in 100 of MY COMPANY runs Linux

You must have some lovely incompetent managers.

>has a 4 hour SLA where I work
Here it's a trigger for dismiss and the reference will be only good to flip burgers.

This isn't a safe space in case you didn't notice.

Also, racism not only isn't "like, the worst thing everrr" it is natural and healthy

I'm just not a basement-dwelling NEET, I've actually been to an office building once and seen their IT systems. I've managed data centers. No amount of whining on your part will change the reality of the facts.

>ASP.net isn't even a thing
Sure thing, kid.

Those figures are about public facing http servers. Linux and BSD are cheap for mass shared hosting. No mission critical system runs that shit though. Those marketshare figures don't correspond to the enterprise world. Walk into any corporate data center and you'll see nothing but Windows Server. And if you think our managers are so incompetent, then it should be easy for you to do a better job and make six figures just like we do, shouldn't it?

>This isn't a safe space in case you didn't notice.
This is a blue board in case you didn't notice, numbskull!

>racism is natural and healthy
It is time to stop posting.

>audits
What do they audit the setup ?
Probably not the source code if it's Windows.
A good setup starts with open source software specially if you want to audit the shit out of it.
>inb4 they just follow some guidelines
Yes with open source you can add code fix bugs you find with an audit.
A good audit starts with the source

Except the plot posted by OP shows exactly the opposite, you retard.

>what is black box testing?
Oh boy, you ARE ignorant!

>marketshare figures clearly show
>web servers (2014), mainframes (2008), supercomputer (500 units)

Where do file, print, AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, AV, backup, WSUS etc etc servers fit in this comprehensive analysis?

They literally sit down hackers and have them try to get into the system any way they can. Please get a haircut and a job.

>I've actually been to an office building once and seen their IT systems
> I've managed data centers
Yeah, plugged out their backup system and now spending some time with shitposting after many hours with that domestos.

>blue board

Who posted nudes? Because that's essentially what board colors are for. This is Sup Forums you stooge, maybe reddit is more your speed

>racism isn't natural and healthy

Go spend some time in a nigger neighborhood please. If you make it back alive, let me know if your attitude has changed

Back to your containment board