“If the hack is not feasible in real life it doesn’t get into our script,” Kor Adana...

>“If the hack is not feasible in real life it doesn’t get into our script,” Kor Adana, a writer and technical producer on “Mr. Robot” said. “I spend my day breaking story in the writers’ room but I spend my night talking to my team of consultants and we’ll come up with an approach that’s feasible and works.”

>If a hack gets written in, Adana said that he and his team will actually perform the hack to get screenshots or video of what the screen would look like. They then create a Flash program that they end up shooting with stars Rami Malek or Christian Slater or Carly Chaikin.

>“I’m there on set practicing it with them, making sure it looks accurate so they hit the alt-tab at the right spot or they hit ‘enter’ at the right spot,” Adana said.

Is it true? Could the hacking on the show really be done?

Other urls found in this thread:

vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/welcome-to-the-dark-net
www1.frm.utn.edu.ar/tecnicad2/tec_dig2/doc/tcpintro.pdf
tldp.org/LDP/sag/sag.pdf
csd.uoc.gr/~hy556/material/tutorials/cs556-3rd-tutorial.pdf
ep2013.europython.eu/media/conference/slides/python-for-hackers-and-penetration-testing.pdf
pythonizame.s3.amazonaws.com/media/Book/black-hat-python/file/af0ef90e-83cf-11e5-964d-04015fb6ba01.pdf
blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-09/TRACY/BHUSA09-Tracy-RubyPentesters-PAPER.pdf
nccgroup.trust/globalassets/resources/us/presentations/ruby-for-pentesters.pdf
ipa.go.jp/security/fy11/report/contents/intrusion/ids-meeting/idsbg.pdf
nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-94.pdf
isfs.org.hk/publications/ComputerForensics_part1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he used putty for ssh so yes it's all accurate :^)

I knew it.

Of course

>needs a TV show to confirm reality

So any autist can hack the FBI?

how is this show anyway? tried watching an episode but just ended up very confused about who's trying to get him

Is that scala? Lisp?

I hope you started with the first episode

this is not a show you can easily jump into part way through

No, but they can still check your digits

>cuck
t. Autismo

in the middle of watching this

im not directly asking how "he" does it, but is it feasible to get to his level of self teaching alone, and how long would it take? mostly just the stalking shite, y'know.

Looks like Lisp.

Who are ya trynna stalk, guy?

vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/welcome-to-the-dark-net

Yes. That fast? No.

>Is it true? Could the hacking on the show really be done?

Absolutely not lol.

If you get hacked on the show, you get hacked in real life.

Yes it can. All of it is possible the only problem is it would never be done that quickly or with such little funds. Nation states could do this shit no problem.

Mr Robot is my easily my favorite show
>episode starts as a 80's family sitcom parody and ends with an Ocean's style heist scene

>the episode with the prison intro

One night I spent the entire night looking shit up and in the morning I spammed multiple private detectives in the area saying I was a journalism student (I'm neet) asking for an internship. I had the idea that I was just going to get into information gathering and possibly make some money that way.

Some guy was actually going to let me but I never followed through.

Most of what Elliot does to hack people seems to be pretty low tech. I feel like you could also do it with dedication.

Look into electronics, invest in powerful small cameras and a set of lockpicks and you'll have access to all the stalking material you'd need.

There was a guy that would rob banks by bugging them as they were being built. He'd travel around doing this and take from the atm room.

The same guy parachuted on to a mueseum and replaces a diamond (sisi star diamond) with a replica.

You can do whatever you want, bro

Hahaha..

Instead of teaching him how to Hack or at least let him excecute some programms a dozen of times, they try to "imitate" it as best as they could?

Millenials..

BTW

Being a Hacker means having incredible good knowledge and experience about how computers, networks and the internet works.

How to get those skilly? By doing it!

Go read up about stuff and try to get into it, but don't expect to put three days of effort in it and to hack the gibson. It's literally years of dedication.

But hey, you gotta start somewhere, so..

Here's are some starting points.

You need to understand networking..
>www1.frm.utn.edu.ar/tecnicad2/tec_dig2/doc/tcpintro.pdf

..as well as the Linux system.
>tldp.org/LDP/sag/sag.pdf

You need to transefer that knowledge into programming. It's important to know C..
>csd.uoc.gr/~hy556/material/tutorials/cs556-3rd-tutorial.pdf

..but you should also know some scripting language, for example python..
>ep2013.europython.eu/media/conference/slides/python-for-hackers-and-penetration-testing.pdf
>pythonizame.s3.amazonaws.com/media/Book/black-hat-python/file/af0ef90e-83cf-11e5-964d-04015fb6ba01.pdf

..or Ruby.
>blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-09/TRACY/BHUSA09-Tracy-RubyPentesters-PAPER.pdf
>nccgroup.trust/globalassets/resources/us/presentations/ruby-for-pentesters.pdf

BTW, this is what you are up against:
>ipa.go.jp/security/fy11/report/contents/intrusion/ids-meeting/idsbg.pdf
>nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-94.pdf
>isfs.org.hk/publications/ComputerForensics_part1.pdf

Those are some tiny basics about the sutff you need to learn. I tried to give you very short sources as an overview, of course there's more to it. And you want to really know your shit, because the guys you're up against know their shit.

So read through my sources and make your decision.

why aren't the links in this post illegal? what if a terrorist reads them, we don't need more hackers.

>controlling a Raspberry Pi without Internet from 200 miles away

retard

Those are computer basics. You can literally type "what skill does a hacker need?" into google and learn the results.

What if I explain you the rules of chess, does this mean you are the next Bobby Fischer?

No. Hacking means a lot of skill, even if you are a great linux admin and speak C and Python fluently you are still far from calling yourself a hacker. I even daresay, most pentesters (who protect companies) would encourage you to play arround with tools like wireshark.

Computer security is about a layered defense. You don't get a cool script and hack through some securities, just like some knowledge about lockpicking won't enable you to break into the Wall street.

There's so much to learn, and if we talk about "cyber terrorism" - well, your opponents will get exponentially stronger with god tier equipment. If you think you can play in their league you are an idiot.

>what are repeaters?

kill yourself

He was obviously an autist. Good read i guess.

>great linux admin and speak C and Python fluently
>wireshark
That's babby tier shit son.
>pentesters
Don't make me laugh. Running metasploit and download an exploit archive is also babby tier.

> god tier equipment
Depends on the stuff you want to do, certainly helps though, but it won't replace your aptitude/skill/knowledge. Creative thinking is the best equipment.

> Mr. Robot
> 95% social engineering
> 5% basic security knowledge

people thinks that hacking is getting a facebook passwords

other shows:
5% social engineering
95% visual basic guis

It was connected to a network. It could find a way to phone home.

>Implying that isn't accurate
Social engineering is a huge part of modern "hacking".

>Could the hacking on the show really be done?
Yes, but a scrawny little fuck with Fight Club Syndrome couldn't easily infiltrate an institution such as "Steel Mountain" and plant that shit that fucks with the AirCons.

>wireshark

I didn't suggest wireshark to go operative, it's about learning about traffic.

Also obviously OP is a newbie, so I was trying to give him some pointers.

> Running metasploit and download an exploit archive is also babby tier.

Hurrdurr Mr. "rent-my-botnet-full-of-zero-day-exploits", reddit it this way:

>Creative thinking is the best equipment.

Of course it is. But guess what? Fuck with a TLA and you're up against both.

That's probably the most accurate part of the series, user.

Notice he didn't say "an arbitrary episode."

Underrated

Lel

The pi was connected to Evil corp's network he uses cryptcat to trigger it remotely.

You really think a sandnigger is smart enough to hack anything?

Using google, youtube and some trial and error you can literally build a 10mile+ range missile with a 5kg warhead able to fuck up a medium sized building in a month or less.

And yet they still can't do anything effective.

That's exactly how it works in the real world, dickhead.

They have included attacks in the show that are theoretical in nature only and not feasible. They like all shows lie for added drama, but they lie the least.