Be CompEng major

>be CompEng major
>learning java the first year
>get triggered on the daily because it basically a retarded version of C
>sit next to some faggot who brags about knowing java and html
>tell him that i think it's odd that Comp Eng majors would start with Java as opposed to C or C++
>well if you don't understand it you should just drop the class
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Stick to the classic libraries.

If it was in version 1, 1.1 JDK, you're good, the older libraries were designed by C engineers.

Also remember java is just a VM written in C.

Also dumb frogposter

Thanks.

Java's not horrible. It's a good way to start learning, although I think C/C++ might be better since you learn how to use pointers and not have the JVM handle memory management for you. But from a solely pragmatic point, Java is what you will end up using in a lot of enterprise programming jobs. Especially defense and aeronautics.

If you already know C, fall alseep through the lectures because, like you said, it's pretty much C with handholding. But make sure you leave the class knowing how to use it.

I'm also a CE major, I'm taking internships for a large name defense contractor because I showed them some projects I made with realtime Java libraries. I prefer C though.

Java is worth learning, it's a living guide on how to make an abstraction and then spend lots of time to develop rules that let you use it without hating your life.
I hope you already read the GoF book on patterns.

And yeah, CE is CS+EE, you will have to pretend to be an aspiring web dev monkey in your CS classes, and a hardware eng in EE classes.
Take each major required undergrad level classes as electives of your own if possible. That way is most fun.

I regret skipping electromagnetics.

Why don't you cool down on the autism, friend.

>it basically a retarded version of C
So what I'm hearing is that you have no experience with either language

I just want to do low level stuff like firmware development and other embedded related things. I don't see why I need to know Java.

I have very little experience with Java but I am not liking what I see so far. It seems verbose and ugly. A lot the things I am doing in the class exercises would be a lot shorter and readable in C.

Sorry I just hate everyone in Uni. They're all shallow or incredibly vain. I am not trying to be edgy it's just what I've noticed. It's like high school all over again.

uni is worth it stick it out is my thoughts

>And yeah, CE is CS+EE
FALSE!
as far as ABET acredation CE is CS + project management

OP here, for me it's literally CS + EE.

>A lot the things I am doing in the class exercises would be a lot shorter and readable in C.
for you're basic intro level class, yes this is true, for your higher level OO/Android/web dev stuff, this is false

>Android stuff
>in C
Don't joke about that man, people die that way.

All they teach cs majors is java and old tech. You could just buy a modern PHP IDE it would save you 4 years and a fuckload of money.

weird, the only difference between my uni's cs and ce degrees is two more "project management/team building" type courses, it's probably just my uni though, they've completely split the low level logic classes, engineer's take theirs and we take ours even though there's a crapton of overlap

(You)

I think you misread his post.

I will stick it out but I think I'll probably fail out. I am doing fine right now but I think I am in the early stages of Schizophrenia. I was diagnosed with Bipolar I a few years ago but now I am developing all those weird symptoms that are associated with Schizophrenia. Being unable to show the proper emotions (laughing when I am mad, frowning when I am happy), flat affect, word salad and cognitive impairment (which has really sucked). I am fucked.

Supreme gentleman in the making.

Elliot wasn't schizophrenic, he was just a faggot.

sound's like java's the least of you worries