/aeg/ Audio Equipment General: Keep it going like its 1977

/aeg/ Audio Equipment General: Keep it going like its 1977

This thread is about the appreciation and use of vintage and modern stereo systems. Feel free to discuss Receivers, Amps, HiFi components (turntables, cd players, cassettes, etc) along with buying and selling advice and troubleshooting/setup questions.

>Deoxit: The miracle cleaner that can make your stereo work like it’s brand new
youtube.com/watch?v=U-YnWcoKlpo
>Looking for a manual or information about a component? Check it out here
hifiengine.com/database/hifi_database.php
>Interested in some history about your device? Try here to find more details about the history and more detailed specs
thevintageknob.org/

Ebay is a great way to gauge prices on products and also buy products from more reputable dealers.

Many local record stores also sell stereo components so don’t be afraid to call and ask what they have for sale.

Check local thrifts stores, garage sales, flea markets etc for items at decent prices.

Other urls found in this thread:

target.com.au/p/thomson-stereo-bluetooth-mini-hi-fi-system-ds6-2/58625248
target.com.au/p/thomson-bluetooth-micro-hi-fi-system-mcs-512/57977218
rbt.asia/g/thread/S54590619#p54591533
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

posting my current setup

neat

perhaps get a shelf?

have you had to replace light bulbs in your sterero

I love vintage vu meters so cool

What are your parts? Did you go second hand?

So you just have your stereo and a fridge in your apartment? Do explain.

just bought this
gonna copy my vinyl collection over to tape

Okay

I bet I can predict your entire record collection.

The endless craigslist search continues

I have a weird request
I have a $100 gift card for target and the only shit that interests me is audio gear atm
Which one?

target.com.au/p/thomson-stereo-bluetooth-mini-hi-fi-system-ds6-2/58625248

target.com.au/p/thomson-bluetooth-micro-hi-fi-system-mcs-512/57977218

Don't care how they look or for Bluetooth
Just wanna know if anyone has experience or any thoughts
Leaning towards the weird blue looking ones because my old highschool had them and I remember them sounding not too bad

You're better off buying $100 worth of crap from those dollar isles and making your own speakers.

>gift card

Sorry guys couldnt find the normal audio threads and dont have any contributions to this thread.

Wondering what is supposed to happen when you mix up the speaker cable with red to black instead of red to red for SPEAKER to AMP.

I tried it and it worked both ways and made some differences but both were listenable..

One sounded shitter and more bassier and less detailed though.

Only problem is that the shittier and bassier less clarity arrangement is the right speaker cable arrangement (red to red, black to black) when I swap it to the WRONG configuration it sounds better.

I am trying to figure out if the chinese manufacturer fucked my amp up by wiring the red and black wrongly as these amps have qc issues with that specific speaker wiring .

Cheers

>Sansui
Good man!
Don't forget carboot sales!

how do I DIY some decent speakers? how much money/time does that take?

If you want to start cheap and simple, buy an overnight sensation kit?

>target.com.au/p/thomson-bluetooth-micro-hi-fi-system-mcs-512/57977218

why not listen them in person and compare yourself? that'll be the best for your situation imho m8.

I have the pic related. very nice amp. it's VU meter lamps are gone. also left VU meter is somewhat less sensitive compare to right.

bought as it is and never tried to fix it.

I use this to drive my four passive subs. Well, they're not really subs. Just the four biggest speakers I have getting a 80Hz lowpass filtered signal.

Is it possible to get gud 2.1 speakers for around 50 euros?

Question: I have an old pair of Altec Lansing Model 5 speakers. They've been re-coned. They were pretty good in their day, but kind of a bare minimum matched to my 9090db, which was Sansui's flagship for a time in the 70s. Recommend an appropriate pair of modern day speakers that can withstand 125 watts per side. Thoughts on electrostatic with this receiver? Or an appropriate vintage speaker I should be on the lookout for.

Can someone recommend a cheap recording microphone for around $100? Doesn't need to be anything godlike

posting my small setup

tape deck is wired to record from and to computer. the vcr and dvd RW/hdd setup is in a loop as well but only exits to the computer.

brofist

I have a pair of pic related on the B channel and there are some other no name smaller german speakers on the A channel. I usually use the A channel bcs of my small room tho.

Hi. I've got a question. I want to buy some cheap speakers. I narrowed my selection to JBL Studio 230 and Dali Zensor 1. What do you guys think about them? Any advice?

my suggestion for you is find them locally to listen if you can before you purchase either.

although I don't have any experience with both models in general I like JBL for aesthetics and sound.

I like monitor series better. pic related would make me very happy If I could find a pair reasonably priced locally.

Any recommendations on a keyboard/synth for under $200?

My buddy has had a rough year and it would be a great gift for his birthday.

Does anyone have experience with Yamaha p-series turntables? I want one to go with my receiver, and there is a P-350 available locally for around $40. I would check audiokarma if it wasn't down for maintenance, but I figured that I'll ask here.

Also, are the bang and olufsen turntables any good? It seems that they use some sort of proprietary cartridge, but I'm not sure. An RX-2 shows up on the local craigslist page, so I was wondering.

Trying to find affordable recommendations for new small on-air headphones to use at work. My current Sony MDR-ZX100's are falling apart.

Over-ear is too bulky to carry in my laptop bag and I've never cared for IEM's.

There aren't any. Anything under $200 is either a shit Casio/Yamaha for kids or a midi controller.

Midi controllers are fine, but you need software to go with it which can cost more money.

If you expand your price range to $300, you get start getting some entry-level options.
>Arturia Microbrute
>Novation Xio 25
>Novation V-station
>used Microkorg

Can't
Target is a retail store like Walmart
They won't let you

I did some DIY speakers and it's a lot more work than it looks unless you buy a kit with the baffles already cut. If you want to do it for the joy of doing a project, then it's actually a great thing to do. But don't expect to finish it in a weekend.

If you buy everything together in a big kit with everything already cut, you can probably do it in a weekend. But if you're buying all the components individually, doing the router work, tweaking the sound, doing the cabinet finish, etc. then it can take a very long time.

If you swap BOTH left and right cable polarity, nothing happens.

If you swap the polarity on only one channel, one speaker is playing out of phase, so certain frequencies cancel each other out.
* Above 700Hz, you get some weird "phasey" sounds, depending on how far apart your speakers are. And yeah, it might actually improve things for certain songs.
* Below ~150Hz, bass frequencies settle into "pockets" in the room; walk around, and you can hear how each pocket sounds different. Your ears don't hear phase this low, only the sum of the bass bouncing around the room is what matters.

>shittier and bassier less clarity arrangement is technically correct
With your particular speaker placement and listening position, totally possible. I doubt the factory messed up the amp assembly.

This effect right here is why people describing the "bass quality" of speakers is bullshit. The room shape and size completely fucks with the bass. What's more is that the quality of bass affects our perception of treble quality.

So inverting one speaker could easily reduce any boomy peaks you hear at the listening position, though it might not technically improve the highs.

Are your speakers 3-way? If so, you're probably safe to unscrew the right speaker's big woofer, swap its internal wires and reinstall, then connect the speaker's wires back to normal (red/red, black/black). That way you can keep the better-sounding bass without fucking with the tweeters.

To improve things further, you'd add subwoofers around the room, each one playing on the polarity that sounds best. The more bass sources, the more the room is taken out of the equation.

Got kicked out like a week ago.

I want a sub that goes real deep, I just cant get low enough with 30hz.

What are some below 20hz subs?

>The more bass sources, the more the room is taken out of the equation
so thats why no matter which warehouse/bunker the techno rave is at it always sounds great with those big ass speakers?

It's really hard to find them commercially without most of your money going toward the Brand/Prestige premium. Also remember that there's no standard for frequency response ratings, so subs that claim "23Hz" are probably down -10dB at that range.

Below 40Hz, the physics get serious REAL fast. The sub will be large, no way around that. DIY becomes increasingly more economical the more performance required.

Ported subs require high-excursion and huge power. medium build difficulty.
"Horn" subs are very driver and amp efficient, but are difficult to build (and hellish to design). They require roughly twice the volume as ported, though the material cost savings might make up for it. Depends on your expendable time.

Sort of, but you're thinking along the right lines.

Most venues are large, acoustically. So large, the bass wavelengths aren't big enough to cause cancellation/modal problems like in a house room.

Instead, you have to worry about producing enough power to fill such a huge space. Stacking the subs in one location gives a boost. Many individual subs are used so they can be easily transported on a truck. (Otherwise you'd go for a huge shipping-crate size sub (see: Danley))

>horn subs
Holy shit.

Yeah that'll be something for the far future.

But I'm totally up for building myself.
Anything to look out for when hunting for a good woofer, seeing as they might "lie"?

Not a lot of design evolution going on at Sansui.

I'm interested in setting up a sound system from my pc but I also need to have the input for a mic, rather than buy a receiver I am looking for an audio interface which I can then connect CT to an amp.

Has anyone done this? I'm curious how an audio interface acts as a dac as opposed to just using a receiver or a dedicated DAC, in specific I am looking at the ur22mkii

If the sound quality is not as good then I will probably just have to get a separate receiver but if this audio interface is decent ans I can connect an amp it would be convenient.

college dorm room, need to get some cheap table from walmart or ikea but have been crazy busy with school.
no, and my other stereo only has one bulb burnt out so I'm not concerned about fixing that.
yes
kenwood kr-4070
marantz tt2000
AR speakers

Also you guys might like techmoan on yt, he has a great collection of retro audio equipment and likes to go into detail, sometimes he can get overly preachy about his decisions but meh.

ones the North american model, the other the European

love that guy

what about other sellers nearby? any hi-fi stores?

The second one, the MCS 512, is far superior. The alien spaceship fuckers are garbage.

I'm actually a little gobsmacked to see waveguides like that on a $90 department store special. Some knowing engineer must have slipped that in without the bean counters noticing. Good on him.

Aside from the stuff you'll learn reading about thiele/small parameters,watch out for "Le". Le much higher than 1 shows up in woofers with high excursion, as it's cheaper to manufacture. Excessive Le means the frequency response can change dynamically, throwing up the finger to any simulations you did.

Harman or any subsidiaries make quality woofers.

Is all I need to play records a turntable and speakers? I don't need a DAC since vinyl is analog, right?

I need to find some speakers, the turntable does not work anymore.

just build a raised floor in your room. Seal it and mount your subs under the sofa and port it. Or instead of ports you could partition a horn path in floor and the bell opening could be a stair step entry onto the higher floor. Easy.

you forgot the blinker fluid. classic beginner mistake.

This was my old computer setup. The speakers are starting to chip at the corners. I had some small strips of wood come off. Its depressing.

is their anything sexier than 70's era marantz

Bump

Are audio interfaces a meme? I'm into music producing and I'm starting to notice high latencies when mastering or heavy mixing.

A friend of mine lets me use his UMC404HD from time to time and the thing is a beast, but out of my price range. I've got on my sight the Scarlett 2i2, since it's not very expensive, I just need a couple of inputs (for vocals and solo instrument recording) and for it to drive a couple of monitors.

Opinions?

This thread has reminded me of a thing.
rbt.asia/g/thread/S54590619#p54591533

I've recently started to wonder about mid bass.

Shouldn't there be a second "subwoofer" that takes care of the 200-500hz range alone?

that's what the midrange driver in most 3-way configurations does, yeah (more like 200-1.5/2k though)
using a subwoofer as in a dedicated single enclosure you place in a different spot than the rest of your sound source won't work though, it only works for the around 80Hz range with it's wavelengths long enough to be not locatable by the ear

You are able to hear where sound in that freq range comes from, so you can't just shove some box under the couch.
Also, almost all satellite speakers except maybe bose milkcartons and the like should be able to reproduce this fine.
Big PA systems do sometimes use mid bass bins for 'punch'.

I imagined it being placed in the front with the regular speaker above, creating a floorspeaker combo.

It's for that extra kick that I'd want it for of course.

so you want a three way floorstander?

Well yeah, but it would be contemplating my current setup.

I'm guessing it's something I'd have to build myself.

Well I'm up for some fun today.

rewiring a surround set?

Nah, 2 sets of speakers.

One amp died the other week so until some paychecks I have to alternate the speaker sets with the one amp thats left.

20x plug pack was cheaper than 8pack.

pcm.upmix_20to51 {
type plug
slave.pcm lowpass_21to21
slave.channels 3
ttable {
0.0 1 # left channel
1.1 1 # right channel
0.2 0.5 # mix left and right ...
1.2 0.5 # ... channel for subwoofer
}
}

pcm.lowpass_21to21 {
type ladspa
slave.pcm upmix_21to51
path "/usr/lib/ladspa"
channels 3
plugins {
0 {
id 1890 # Glame Highpass Filter (1890/highpass_iir)
policy none
input.bindings.0 "Input";
output.bindings.0 "Output";
input {
controls [ 80 0 ]
}
}
1 {
id 1890 # Glame Highpass Filter (1890/highpass_iir)
policy none
input.bindings.1 "Input";
output.bindings.1 "Output";
input {
controls [ 80 0 ]
}
}
2 {
id 1672 # 4 Pole Low-Pass Filter with Resonance (FCRCIA) (1672/lp4pole_fcrcia_oa)
policy none
input.bindings.2 "Input";
output.bindings.2 "Output";
input {
controls [ 80 0 ]
}
}
}
}

pcm.upmix_21to51 {
type plug
slave.pcm dmixer
slave.channels 6
ttable {
0.0 1 # front left
1.1 1 # front right
0.2 1 # rear left
1.3 1 # rear right
0.4 0.5 # center
1.4 0.5 # center
2.5 1 # subwoofer
}
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
# period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 4096
rate 44100
channels 6
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
2 2
3 3
4 4
5 5
}
}

pcm.default pcm.upmix_20to51

defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate_best"

Just ordered a pair of KEF X300A, did I do good? I wanted some compact speakers with good sound which don't make any noises when there is no sound.

Can anybody recommend me a 2 channel setup around 500 dollars

>800€ speakers
>/csg/
kek

Thinking about getting the new Rotel 14 series with some B&W speakers.

Problem is: I don't know shit about this. Am I making a mistake?

Looking specifically for a stereo setup with internet and local network streaming.

Nightmare mode: I need a DAB+ tuner.

Check Genelec's larger subs/sub arrays. They go below 20 Hz with decent accuracy and for their performance are compact.

>12"
>19hz lowest
>400w rms
>3600euros

Ho boy.

Thought I better check wikipedia before I called you a filthy liar....
Gold Peak Industries (Holdings) Limited is a Hong Kong-based multinational battery manufacturer established in 1964. They are listed on Hong Kong Stock Exchange since 1984. The Group has built few brand names for its major product categories, such as GP batteries, KEF premium consumer speakers and CELESTION professional speaker drivers.

Good subs cost a lot. No way around it. Even DYI isn't cheap. You'll spend hundreds on the elements alone if you want to go below 20 Hz.

Not bad for 25 bucks

Hi.

Unfortunately I think the relay is broken, I'm losing channels constantly and cleaning it didn't really help.

What triggered me was the weasily worded 'designed and engineered in uk', meaning they rent some office space in Kent or something.
While _MY_ Kef speakers have a fucking union jack ot back and clearly say 'made in england'.

Hey guys, what do I need to attach regular bookshelf speakers to my PC? Do I need a dedicated sound card? Or can I use some sort of preamp?

Which floor speakers should I get?
I have a budget limit of ~500 dollars each, and I need a minimum of 2.

yes

Hello Sup Forums, I'm looking for a speaker setup for a normal living room, for music, loud enough so that it fills the room. What does thou reccomend? Budget no more than 130$ or so

Depends on the bookshelves. Active or passive? What kind of outputs do you have right now on you motherboard?

Such fun user. You can come do mine any time.

>driver size
Meaningless.
>19 Hz
Decent extension with +-3 dB tolerance
>400w
Really efficient thanks to Class D amplification. Check the SPL figures. It has respectable performance.
>price
Yeah it's steep. That is more than a simple subwoofer however. It's a hub for your other monitors and has rather extensive DSP control/calibration system, room response correction, various adjustments to the subwoofer's pass band etc. You would do better by getting two smaller ones and you can grab older versions of these used for a much smaller price. Hi-fi stores are likely going to be able to discount new ones a decent amount, too.

headphones out>amp CD IN>speakers out works out beautifully.

Is that an Aria bass back there?